Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State (18945 Views)

Is Israel Finally Coming To Rescue Ipod, The Lost Tribe Of Israel ( Read This) / An Overview Of Cross River Garment Textile Factory (photos) / Map Of Native Courts Of 1903 Showing Boundary Of Igbo Speaking People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by ImoRiver: 7:24am On Oct 25, 2016
Igboid:

Abi people don't speak Igbo. Their language is Ekoid.
They like being affiliated with us, but their language is not Igboid.
They are to us,what Ogbia is to Ijaws.

Isobo on the other hand, are Igbo speaking people.

I'm convinced you indeed have Igbo interest at heart. I appreciate your efforts. We need more work on Igbo origin than the fiction flying around. These Isobo people judging from the dialect are likely Awka people that traveled to ancient Benin area and then back to the East as ancient Awkas and Umudiokas were great travelers. The searchlight on Igbo origin should be beamed on Awka, Isu and Umudioka.
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by Call07034780891: 7:42am On Oct 25, 2016
Abagworo the jobless hopeless bastard focus on your useless imo state. Stop talking about us whether you mean well or otherwise even though you quite incoherent. I wonder what we have to do with this thread if you aren't a madman.

[s]
ImoRiver:

I'm convinced you indeed have Igbo interest at heart. I appreciate your efforts. We need more work on Igbo origin than the fiction flying around. These Isobo people judging from the dialect are likely Awka people that traveled to ancient Benin area and then back to the East as ancient Awkas and Umudiokas were great travelers. The searchlight on Igbo origin should be beamed on Awka, Isu and Umudioka.
[/s]
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by Customer80: 8:17am On Oct 25, 2016
ikechu1:
I keep learning something new. I had two people tell me this before and i argued against it. My best friend especially once told me there are igbo community in CR but I never believed him. I thought for sure he was lying and lo behold, he was indeed telling the truth.
He equally told me there are igbo indigienous in Akwa ibom as well but since, he couldn't name there village so I doubted him. Well I'm going to assume, he was right for both.
A life lesson to me is never doubt others especially someone from the state in question.
There are igbo communities in akwaibom such as ohaobu and akirikaobu and some in ukanafun lga that shares boundary with azunmini in ukwaeast lga of (abia state . i think justice iyang okoro is from one of those igbo communities. These communities are bilingual (speak igbo n aannang ) they also bear igbo and akwaibom names but the surname remains Igbo

1 Like

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by ImoRiver: 8:27am On Oct 25, 2016
Call07034780891:
Abagworo the jobless hopeless bastard focus on your useless imo state. Stop talking about us whether you mean well or otherwise even though you quite incoherent. I wonder what we have to do with this thread if you aren't a madman.

[s][/s]

Who are the "us" you referred to? I hope its not the real Igbos of Awka, Umudioka and Isu.
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by Call07034780891: 8:30am On Oct 25, 2016
Cursed bastard I am talking about Anambra or any part thereof. An ordinary Imo state slave like you cannot divide us..as we are a monolithic people.

Omambala=Anambra

[s]
ImoRiver:

Who are the "us" you referred to? I hope its not the real Igbos of Awka, Umudioka and Isu.
[/s]

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by tukdi: 8:58am On Oct 25, 2016
internetpirate:

Please believe it! Go to a place in Ohafia called "Abia"...you'd be convinced.
shocked
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by Igboid: 8:58am On Oct 25, 2016
Oohmu! Biko. Abagworo na Chino, Ejim chukwu yoo unu. Unu emebina threadia. Biko unu nee cholu thread ozo, ebe unu ga ebido mgba ebe ebe unu, ebe unu kwusili.

Dalu nu.

5 Likes

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by Igboid: 8:59am On Oct 25, 2016
Oohmu! Biko. Abagworo na Chino, Ejim chukwu yoo unu. Unu emebina threadia. Biko unu jee cholu thread ozo, ebe unu ga ebido mgba ebe ebe unu, ebe unu kwusili.

Dalu nu.
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by Nobody: 9:01am On Oct 25, 2016
Abeg all this grown up umuntakiri, make una no spoil this thread. This thread is for the okenye's. angry

7 Likes

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by fratermathy(m): 8:41pm On Oct 29, 2016
Customer80:
There are igbo communities in akwaibom such as ohaobu and akirikaobu and some in ukanafun lga that shares boundary with azunmini in ukwaeast lga of (abia state . i think justice iyang okoro is from one of those igbo communities. These communities are bilingual (speak igbo n aannang ) they also bear igbo and akwaibom names but the surname remains Igbo

Don't assume stuffs just because of someone's name or surname. Justice Inyang is a full blooded Oron man.

That name, Okoro, is used by most tribes in the South East and South South. You find it in Edoid languages/Urhobo/Isoko/Itsekiri/Ibibio/Igbo, etc. The funny thing is that the meanings are not far apart in all its usage and no one can really trace its origin. It is generally taken to mean "man" in some Igboid languages.

In Edoid languages, including Urhobo & Isoko, it manifests as Okoro and Umukoro and the meaning is contested. It can mean man, fool, etc, depending on context of usage. Another name like this is Ekeh which is shared by Urhobos and Igbos but meaning separate things entirely.

My point is that you shouldn't assume someone is Igbo because s/he bears Okoro as name or surname. That name is used far and wide by various ethnicities and NO ONE can categorically trace its etymology to any group.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by Igboid: 10:47pm On Oct 29, 2016
fratermathy:

Don't assume stuffs just because someone's name or surname. Justice Inyang is a full blooded Oron man.

That name, Okoro, is used by most tribes in the South East and South South. You find it in Edoid languages/Urhobo/Isoko/Itsekiri/Ibibio/Igbo, etc. The funny thing is that the meanings are not far apart in all its usage and no one can really trace its origin. It is generally taken to mean "man" in some Igboid languages.

In Edoid languages, including Urhobo & Isoko, it manifests as Okoro and Umukoro and the meaning is contested. It can mean man, fool, etc, depending on context of usage. Another name like this is Ekeh which is shared by Urhobos and Igbos but meaning separate things entirely.

My point is that you shouldn't assume someone is Igbo because s/he bears Okoro as name or surname. That name is used far and wide by various ethnicities and NO ONE can categorically trace its etymology to any group.

There is no denying the fact that "Okoro" is mostly used by Igbo speaking people. It's always on rare cases you see non Igbo speaking people answering that name.

Go to Facebook and type Okoro, and check the ethnicity of the bearers, it's not even a. argument.

Okoro is not a typical non Igbo name. Never!

10 Likes

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by chin011: 11:51pm On Oct 29, 2016
GOOD NEWS
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by fratermathy(m): 1:13am On Oct 30, 2016
Igboid:

There is no denying the fact that "Okoro" is mostly used by Igbo speaking people. It's always on rare cases you see non Igbo speaking people answering that name.

Go to Facebook and type Okoro, and check the ethnicity of the bearers, it's not even a. argument.

Okoro is not a typical non Igbo name. Never!

I agree with you. More than 50% of those who bear the name are Igbos or those from Igboid groups.

However, the quick assumption that all who bear the name are Igbos, as the guy had done, should be controlled. Okoros abound in Delta South and Central and many have been victimized for bearing the name, by both Igbos and Nigerians of other ethnic extractions. There is even a novel titled MY NAME IS OKORO which was written by an Itsekiri man- Sam Omatseye. The novel is about an Urhobo who bears Okoro as he goes in search of his Igbo wife during the Civil War. He was bastardised by the Nigerian military and questioned by the Biafran military to a point of existential and identity crises. The novel is a good read, I tell you and it tells the story of the civil war from the Urhobo perspective.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by Nobody: 1:30am On Oct 30, 2016
fratermathy:

Don't assume stuffs just because of someone's name or surname. Justice Inyang is a full blooded Oron man.

First of all do you know the particular place he is talking about? I want to ask you a question, cos I know the place he is talking about so well.

5 Likes

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by chin011: 3:11am On Oct 30, 2016
If a family is peaceful, it is because the Call07034780891 bastard in that house has not grown to the age of maturity. The day he attains maturity he will brew troubles in the family and eventually scatter it. I don’t want to start mentioning names but ask Chino the bastard of Igbo land
PLEASE RESPECT THIS THREAD
[s]
Call07034780891:

[/s]
[/s]

4 Likes

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by mandax: 3:58am On Oct 30, 2016
Igbo is the largest single ethnic group in Nigeria.

That Fulani soldiers restructured Nigeria politically, as a result of the new political structure, the Igbo is out of apex political leadership of Nigeria, that's why Nigeria is crumbling.
Bye.

4 Likes

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by cele360: 8:22am On Oct 30, 2016
pls I was planning to come to cross River state Ogoja to purchase garri in large quantity to resale here in portharcourt, also I learnt that ebony state is close to the area so i can buy abakaliki rice too,but the man who wants to take me there is now màking guy, pls can any one direct me on how to go about the business this igboji market in eboyi state is it a good option to get garri and abkaliki Rice and palm oil for sale?? pls i need some assistance
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by fratermathy(m): 11:19am On Oct 30, 2016
Normality:

First of all do you know the particular place he is talking about? I want to ask you a question, cos I know the place he is talking about so well.

I'm not arguing the presence of Igbo in Akwa Ibom or any South South state. My argument is with regards to the generalization he made concerning the name, Okoro.
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by fratermathy(m): 11:21am On Oct 30, 2016
mandax:

That Fulani soldiers restructured Nigeria politically, as a result of the new political structure, the Igbo is out of apex political leadership of Nigeria, that's why Nigeria is crumbling.
Bye.

Igbo is NOT the largest group in Nigeria. However, I agree that your numbers and influence are greatly undermined to suit Northern domination.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by Nobody: 10:43am On Nov 30, 2016
What an infortainment.
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by hrykanu231(m): 11:31am On Nov 30, 2016
Clinton9000:
Don't forget the largest LGA in Cross River with Igbo speaking natives is Abi Local government area. Former Gov Imoke is from there. I have been telling afonjas that they are native Igbos in all 5 SS states.Don't also forget the Igbos in Bayelsa where Flavour's baby mama Ebiere is from.

Waiting for children of hate, division and calamity afonja to come and divide us as usual.

Dude, from imabana to Ebom. Please which village speaks igbo?
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by Nobody: 12:24pm On Dec 06, 2016
But that isobo sounds unigbotic, I tink it to be sth like Isuigbo
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by chiefobdk(m): 4:02pm On Dec 06, 2016
ImoRiver:

you dull well well.
wetin concern benin for here. maybe u re benin and not afonja. you always put division in every Igbo thread. look how u subtly invoked division. u had to mention awka so dat anambra people will say yes then u will come down witb ur abagworo moniker dat anambra love supremacy. we re watching u. me and chino
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by chiefobdk(m): 4:12pm On Dec 06, 2016
abagworo aka imoriver. we beg u wit amadioha. pls speak Igbo.

shame d people doubting u r Igbo
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 06, 2016
mandax:

Bye.

Very TRUE. It a truth that 95% of nigerians don't know. Am happy that you know this.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by thuggCheetah(m): 6:30pm On Mar 16, 2017
ArodewilliamsT:
There are Indigenous Igbos in every SS states. Something haters have been struggling to hide from us. The destruction of SS is in effect the destruction of Igbos.

If SE Igbo think that the SS should be left to their fate in the hands of the murderous Almajiris and their muslim Amala-swallowing lackeys who keeps shouting 'attache by force' when Emeka from SE unites with Ifeanyi from SS. Then they should also get ready for the destruction of the entire Old East (SESS).
I didn't see pple like maynation, omenkalives and those that keep calling igbos attache by force on this thread
Where did dose Yoruba muslins run to sef? grin

1 Like

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by B2mario(m): 3:52pm On Mar 17, 2017
blues20:

From my experience, most south south Igbos deniers are politically motivated. Its Nigerian politics. But this Isobo people seems to be unique and noble in their approach to life.

Modified:
@bold, its Isobo, not Isoko.
it's only those in rivers and delta state due to presence oil in their place. Federal government instigated that just to weaken Igbo against any future secession with the help of Edo and Ijaw. Ibibio, Annang or Effik man can not claim any Igbo in Akwa ibom or cross river state rather they will help and identify them if they are hiding from the general Igbo community.

There's Agbo clan of Igbo in cross river state, even the former governor of cross river state, liyel unlike is from there.
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by B2mario(m): 4:23pm On Mar 17, 2017
fratermathy:

Igbo is NOT the largest group in Nigeria. However, I agree that your numbers and influence are greatly undermined to suit Northern domination.
Oga Igbo might be. Hausa being the largest is too political. 70% of the population you can see in the north are not Hausa-fulani. And mind you the poster said single largest ethnic group of which Hausa-fulani is not. No population statistic has ever considered Hausa population different from Fulani. And these are two sharp distinct groups combined together due to political reasons.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by B2mario(m): 4:28pm On Mar 17, 2017
chiefobdk:

abagworo aka imoriver. we beg u wit amadioha. pls speak Igbo.

shame d people doubting u r Igbo
as I've begged chino to write Igbo too. I hope he has started learning Igbo so as to counter me.
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by Nobody: 6:21pm On Mar 17, 2017
Clinton9000:

Anna Ebiere Banner speaks Igbo. A good friend knows her personally.

Does speaking Igbo make you Igbo?.
Oya call yourself an English man because you speak English.
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by TheKingdom: 3:43pm On May 17, 2017
So the former Cross River Gov was even Igbo sef
Re: Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State by Lajet: 10:00am On Nov 14, 2018
Igboid:
"Of course,yam is well celebrated above other tuber crops especially among the Igbos and the Isobos are not left out in this generational practice".

This is the sweetest part of this Isobo people.

These people hold unto their Isobo identity, but still identify with the rest of the Igbo nation, even though we have not done anything for them, most of us don't even know of their existence before today.
No "my papa say we came from Bini" trash. No "we no be ibo we be Isobo people" trash. No " Ibos want our land" trash, that we normally get from morally bankrupt set of people who deny brotherhood on the altar of transient economic and political gains.

Just as honest and as cool as they come. Chukwu bless Isobo people.

Are Ohanaeze Ndiigbo aware of these Igbos at the fringes of Igboland? What program exactly have they ever conducted in these parts of Igboland to show these our brothers that they are part of us and to give them a sense of belonging.

What is exactly the function of Ohanaeze Ndiigbo? Someone remind me again.

Ohaneze Ndigbo is a useless Organization They are of no use to Ndi Igbo. Is't not last year that Youth Wing of the Rivers State Elders and Leaders Council has petitioned the Inspector General of Police IBRAHIM IDRIS urging him not to approve Rivers state as the venue for the Igbo Day celebration. Even when Igbo are Indigene of River state. Can the Youth wing of the Rivers State Elders and leaders Council try that Nonsense with Ijaw Socio-Cultural Organisation not to host their meeting in River state. Why is that Ohaneze Ndi Igbo don't recognize Igbo indigence in Akwa Ibom and Cross river states.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Alleges Plan To Attack Soldiers, Officers Over Abia Killings / We Will Overrun PDP In 26 States – Buhari Campaign Coordinator / Nuhu Ribadu ‘Offered’ Ministerial Position To Step Down For Buhari’s In-law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.