Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,227 members, 7,839,205 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation (30314 Views)

Asset Declaration: Saraki Ends Historic 14-day Cross-examination Of Witness / Apc Crisis: Oyegun Gets 14 Days Ultimatum / OPC Gives Militants 14-Day Ultimatum To Stop Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by saintmark88(m): 8:45am On Oct 26, 2016
tete7000:

Do you farm yourself? You asked him to go and farm, assuming he goes into farming, subsistence farming; you think in this age and time and in a country of 180million people, subsistence farming is what will take the country out of this doldrums?
When I read comments like yours I am certain you are one of those who probably don't know what farming entails. Subsistence farming oga is not what the country needs to be food sufficient. We need massive investment in mechanised farming. With mechanised farming all Nigerians don't need to farm. 10% of our population doing that will feed everyone and we will still have left to export. It is what is obtained in developed society. That is why government needs to give incentives as the post suggests. Even constant power availability is needed. What happens when you produce so much and yet you can't preserve them? Only illiterate think everybody must be farmers. If we are all farmers, who will be mechanics, doctors, nurses, teachers, et al. You listen too much to ignorant people in government.
They are the ones who tell everyone to go and farm when they don't farm. They tell fresh graduates without experience, exposure and capital to not look for job but create one when with all the money they stole and opportunity they have had they haven't created one job themselves. Foolish leaders who look for ways to dodge their responsibility of first catering for their people.

Oga I didn't say everybody should be farmers, i have never farmed bfre, buh m not complaining about the situation of things because I know tht importation of what we can grow here isn't d way out, its just a postponement of judgement day, if someone is giving d govt 14 days ultimatum to end rice ban, with d excuse of pple r hungry...thts were I have a problem. Even if d 10% mechanized farming tin tht u talked bout starts today, do I tink tht by 2moro ull start seeing d rice n d market..These tins take time... Even if u start today, bfre ull achieve self sufficiency, realistically we r looking at 8-10yrs, but d journey of a thousand miles starts with one step. Thts d step d govt has put in place, partial ban on importation of rice thru land borders.

I pray tht by d middle of 2017, there should be full ban...were any foreign rice in d market should be above 40thousand, tht would discourage importation...

More pple would be forced to go into products of local rice, because it would b production.

U talked about mechanized farming, yl would I go into mechanized farming wen d market is flooded with foreign rice.

If you r complaining tht there is hunger and ur solution is to import rice, go n farm n feed urself. For me I must not eat rice, rice isn't d only food in Nigeria...

3 Likes

Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by saintmark88(m): 8:47am On Oct 26, 2016
liquidity:
Is it that u can't respond with decorum? Our so called future of tomorrow.

U didn't remember decorum wen u were quoting me...my friend go n hug transformer
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by jefy(m): 8:48am On Oct 26, 2016
So much sense in Bubu's sensless policies. Dudes here supporting sensless actions while the poor suffer as a result of hike in price and non availability of basic food commodities.. Good policy,but why not first revamp local production,see it succeeed,then close the ports..omoh dudes fuc**ing up since the days of solomon. Very simple calculation and the government will get it right,even the old lady on my street knows so.

3 Likes

Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by festusbarry(m): 8:50am On Oct 26, 2016
saintmark88:
If FG lifts d ban, dz same man will say d govt is a confused govt. Mr man instead of complaining go n farm, u can produce rice for u n ur family. If u dnt c rice, u can eat beans

Young man must you side bad things ,grow up
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by coolplanet: 8:50am On Oct 26, 2016
blackpanda:

Its very much available in d market. Whats more, its cheaper and healthier.

Will it be enough to feed like 100 million Nigerians for months? A big NO.even the FG believes it is not possible. Over time,the available will be exhausted. What Govt needs is to provide incentives to farmers like subsidise fertilisers. Increase the tax on importation of rice in such case,our own product will fall in price once we have abundance and such case gradually or completely reduce the level of imported rice or even vanish the importation of rice.importers will have no choice than to stop bringing in rice since its not profitable.
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by Chuknovski(m): 8:53am On Oct 26, 2016
blackpanda:

Bros, a measure goes for #450, here in Kaduna, tell me that one cheap enough

1 Like

Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by drololaaof: 8:55am On Oct 26, 2016
blackened where is the enough rice? Are stored in your backyard the advisers of the ban are making life difficult for Nigerians and enriching the pockets of customs.What are the effect of billions of naira budgeted for rice growth past years in Nigeria?
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by Josmila(m): 8:57am On Oct 26, 2016
saintmark88:
If FG lifts d ban, dz same man will say d govt is a confused govt. Mr man instead of complaining go n farm, u can produce rice for u n ur family. If u dnt c rice, u can eat beans

Like I said to some people in the bus on my home from work yesterday, we're not ready as a people, we wanted a change from the old, corrupt ways of doing things in this country, not we have a President who's not willing to comform to the norm, there's agitation everywhere.

I fully support the ban on rice, and it should stay that way. We're trying to boost the local production of rice and be self sufficient, how will the farmers be rewarded for their efforts if there's continued flooding of the market with imported rice? Rice is not the only food in the market Nigeria, there's beans and other food stuff, eat those, no one will die!
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by ricson11(m): 8:59am On Oct 26, 2016
You are given ultimatum from onitsha whereas bubu is in other room abuja better keep quiet or else effc for you
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by bilulu(m): 8:59am On Oct 26, 2016
saintmark88:
With dis ur statement..... Bros are you a graduate if yes pls return ur certificate cuz u speak like an illiterate from birth
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by stansaintly(m): 9:00am On Oct 26, 2016
A wise government will not just wake up in the morning and ban something as important as food (rice) except it contains poisonous substance that could be referred to as life threatening food. They should have made a provision to caution if not to arrest the effects on the populace. "A hungry man, they say, is an angry man" No be pesin wey chop dey grow?

That was the same mistake Jonathan made while in the office, without notice, on January 2012, fuel subsidy was removed. When people had traveled to their far villages for Xmas and new year. Immediately, the bridge was broken and many lost their jobs, sold their properties to realize money to travel back.

Our Government should stop hitting us hard with hardship, we made the government, government did not make us.
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by fendorf(m): 9:01am On Oct 26, 2016
Very funny
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by georgecso(m): 9:02am On Oct 26, 2016
[size=16pt]Na only rice be food? Abi them tie una destiny to Rice? When Greece had same economic challenges, most of them went back to farming... If you ask me l ll say their is a strong corellation between high consumption of these so called foreign rice and the rise in type ll diabetes.. Make we chop local rice we no go die[/size]
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 26, 2016
Gbam! The mentally mal-functional nomad is a WASTE of my vote! Fighting corruption @ the xpense of other facets, Nonsense!!
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by Nobody: 9:08am On Oct 26, 2016
blackpanda:

where please because here in south west is expensive
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by saintmark88(m): 9:08am On Oct 26, 2016
bilulu:

With dis ur statement..... Bros are you a graduate if yes pls return ur certificate cuz u speak like an illiterate from birth

Pple resort to such statements when they dnt have a superior argument. So m not surprised
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by Kizito2nv(m): 9:09am On Oct 26, 2016
mrvitalis:

If no beans eat yam, if no yam potato dey. . Go jn sleep
u know u are wicked and heartless people don't get to eat 2 square meals each and this without the rice I for person don't have hope for breakfast my break fast comes between lunch so it would take me through dinner and u think that is a way to live just because u have what to eat doesn't mean others do the hunger is real so if you haven't had an experience I am a testimony to that
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 26, 2016
mrvitalis:

Is that governments problem?? We are a capitalist country bro... If people are staving go and farm
Akm very sure if this organisations approach a bank for 2 billion loan they will get it..
Over 5000 hectares can be planted n processed with that.. . Then they can sale at 5000 per bag if they wish
please where can I access the financial loan and I will leave whatever work am doing to concentrate on it
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by tete7000(m): 9:18am On Oct 26, 2016
saintmark88:

Oga I didn't say everybody should be farmers, i have never farmed bfre, buh m not complaining about the situation of things because I know tht importation of what we can grow here isn't d way out, its just a postponement of judgement day, if someone is giving d govt 14 days ultimatum to end rice ban, with d excuse of pple r hungry...thts were I have a problem. Even if d 10% mechanized farming tin tht u talked bout starts today, do I tink tht by 2moro ull start seeing d rice n d market..These tins take time... Even if u start today, bfre ull achieve self sufficiency, realistically we r looking at 8-10yrs, but d journey of a thousand miles starts with one step. Thts d step d govt has put in place, partial ban on importation of rice thru land borders.

I pray tht by d middle of 2017, there should be full ban...were any foreign rice in d market should be above 40thousand, tht would discourage importation...

More pple would be forced to go into products of local rice, because it would b production.

U talked about mechanized farming, yl would I go into mechanized farming wen d market is flooded with foreign rice.

If you r complaining tht there is hunger and ur solution is to import rice, go n farm n feed urself. For me I must not eat rice, rice isn't d only food in Nigeria...

I grew up on the farm and know what farming entails. Just like other professions require skills, farming itself require a level of skill with a lot of strength and stamina. If you have never been a farmer by some form of training and you venture into it, the chances you will tire out is high. A serious government should stop saying everyone should go and farm when discussion like this ensues. Let look for those who already have the stamina, energy and necessary level of skill, encourage them to remain on farm, give them incentives and invest in them.

On the issue of rice importation ban, I got your argument but a serious government needs to have a short term, medium term and long term plan. Until our policy makers start learning to use those articulated languages and stop all their braggado and fire brigade approach method to things, we aint go anywhere!

2 Likes

Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by blackpanda: 9:23am On Oct 26, 2016
coolplanet:

Will it be enough to feed like 100 million Nigerians for months? A big NO.even the FG believes it is not possible. Over time,the available will be exhausted. What Govt needs is to provide incentives to farmers like subsidise fertilisers. Increase the tax on importation of rice in such case,our own product will fall in price once we have abundance and such case gradually or completely reduce the level of imported rice or even vanish the importation of rice.importers will have no choice than to stop bringing in rice since its not profitable.

The answer is a big YES!
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by eROCK247(m): 9:23am On Oct 26, 2016
Right now local rice is even more expensive than foreign rice. Dunno y Nigerians r greedy n selfish...since foreign rice was banned farmers decided to make fast money by increasing d price of their products. And d annoying part be say d sand for most local rice dey almost plenty pass d rice itself. Farmers n marketers b hoarding goods jst to maximize price without a hoot abt d welfare of their brothers. Nigerians and greed/selfishness r like 5 & 6.
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by TheRealestGuy(m): 9:24am On Oct 26, 2016
omenka:
I swear, when I saw the word ultimatum I just decided to check the identity of the person issuing it, and I wasn't disappointed. cheesy

Awon Ultimate Warriors, everywhere they go. cheesy
You now resort to making childish comment and attacking igbos on NL.

Shame on you cheesy
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by mrvitalis(m): 9:24am On Oct 26, 2016
Oma307:

please where can I access the financial loan and I will leave whatever work am doing to concentrate on it
First u need to form a cooperatives and meet the atatwa ministry of agriculture and find out the microfinance bank they use
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by bilulu(m): 9:25am On Oct 26, 2016
saintmark88:

Pple resort to such statements when they dnt have a superior argument. So m not surprised
How can a graduate make such statement..... God to farm to feed ur family. Are we to go into agriculture to feed our immediate family? Is dat d brain behind d return to agriculture slogan of dis govt? It clearly shows dat our generation is wack n don't ve anything to offer

1 Like

Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by blackpanda: 9:25am On Oct 26, 2016
Hipsymoi:
How many home made rice have you seen in the market?
for which market even sef?

Since 2015 I only eat local rice. It is there in the market. But nigerians will rather go for the imported ones. Colonial mentality.
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by mrvitalis(m): 9:28am On Oct 26, 2016
Kizito2nv:
u know u are wicked and heartless people don't get to eat 2 square meals each and this without the rice I for person don't have hope for breakfast my break fast comes between lunch so it would take me through dinner and u think that is a way to live just because u have what to eat doesn't mean others do the hunger is real so if you haven't had an experience I am a testimony to that
Bro.. If ur in ur 20s then i understand it will be well, i pass through the same thing as i speak but that's capitalism for u.. Opportunities will come thats if u will see it.... sooner or later u will have over 200k u dont know what to do with. .. just make sure u invest well

But as for people in there 30s... They should die for all i care... who do they blame for there failures?

Bro any seriously Nigerian above 30 cajn save up over 300k in a year if he or she is serious

1 Like

Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by Goke7: 9:30am On Oct 26, 2016
if the ban on rice is lifted then we should forget about all the rice farms in kebbi, anambra and co.

Nigerians always want an easy way out. lazy bunch. Any serious Nigerian govt will ban the importation of every farm produce that can be grown here in Nigeria if we are truly serious.
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by bilulu(m): 9:32am On Oct 26, 2016
georgecso:
[size=16pt]Na only rice be food? Abi them tie una destiny to Rice? When Greece had same economic challenges, most of them went back to farming... If you ask me l ll say their is a strong corellation between high consumption of these so called foreign rice and the rise in type ll diabetes.. Make we chop local rice we no go die[/size]
Did dey go back to farming with cutlasses and hoes? Did dey go back to farming to produce n start eating stoney rice? Dey went back to farming cuz it was attractive to dem. Or you think farming don't need capital too? Or you think d 1960 is same with dis modern day farming. The way some guys reason u begin to wonder if they think before dey talk or u just want to talk I support of ur politics
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by TheRealestGuy(m): 9:32am On Oct 26, 2016
abu12:
ibos and ultimatum, but I thought anambra state is now self-sufficient in rice production? why do they need the imported rice again
Do you even think through before you type with your slimy fingers?

I don't think you're nearly intelligent...
Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by APCmyheart(m): 9:34am On Oct 26, 2016
LOL Uzor Uzor

NCAN how far?

Re: FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation by mabea: 9:35am On Oct 26, 2016
omenka:
I swear, when I saw the word ultimatum I just decided to check the identity of the person issuing it, and I wasn't disappointed. cheesy

Awon Ultimate Warriors, everywhere they go. cheesy
How old is this kid please? Very bitter and hatefilled.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Muaz Magaji Deletes Post Celebrating Taliban After Backlash / Pictures Of The Pilot Who Died In The Bama Helicopter Crash / Man Treks From Abeokuta To Lagos For Tinubu, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.