Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,107 members, 7,825,502 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

Having Problems Playing Dvds On Linux - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Having Problems Playing Dvds On Linux (840 Views)

Rip DVDs, Record Videos, And Convert Audio/Video Formats With VLC Media Player / Please How Do I Install And Use Aircrack On Linux / Cyber-cafe Operators in Festac Having Problems With Police (419) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Having Problems Playing Dvds On Linux by kunz: 6:52pm On Jan 01, 2007
hi all,
I am new to the linux environment, but i have been having difficulties playing DVDs on linux.Pls i need you all to tell me what to do.
Re: Having Problems Playing Dvds On Linux by roflmao: 7:49pm On Jan 01, 2007
DVD encoding/decoding plug-in are proprietary products so they do not come pre-installed with Linux. It would be better if you can say which Linux distro you're using cos those using same distro can offer help on your machine. But in any case what you need is the w32codecs, and most likely the libdvdcss2. Once these are installed properly you should be able to use any of your media players (Xine, MPlayer, VLC,, ?) to play DVD.

If you use Ubuntu then this should help but note that this is for Ubuntu Edgy in particular. Go to the top of the page for a link to other versions if you do not use Edgy.
Re: Having Problems Playing Dvds On Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:45pm On Jan 01, 2007
kunz welcome to linux. rof said it all but plz lets know what distro u use cause some distros come with media codecs installed. for instance puppy linux
Re: Having Problems Playing Dvds On Linux by kunz: 1:48am On Jan 02, 2007
Thank you so much.I'm actually using the Red hat enterprise linux.
Re: Having Problems Playing Dvds On Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:05am On Jan 02, 2007
oops i think you would just have to go to your repositories page and search for those codecs or better still use your package manager and search for the files hope u are connected to the internet

(1) (Reply)

Pls Give Me The Necessary Suppot For Converting An Operating System From French / Monitors Worth Repairing? / Problem With A File Extension. 'nth'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.