Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,994 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS (10878 Views)

Bode George Withdraws From PDP Chairmanship Race / Adeniyi Ademola Withdraws From Dasuki’s Trial After DSS Raid / Arms Deal: Metuh’s Surety Seeks Withdrawal From Case (2) (3) (4)

Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:32am On Oct 28, 2016
Abuja—Justice Adeniyi Ademola of a Federal High Court, Abuja, yesterday, withdrew from handling a case of terrorism filed by the Department of State Service, DSS.

The case is against one Haruna Abbas and two others.

This came as a retired Lagos State High Court judge, Justice Ebenezer Adebajo, yesterday said that if Nigeria must be preserved, the judiciary must stand up to the executive.

This is even as founding chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Nuhu Ribadu, yesterday gave a glimpse of how he felt taking his boss and former Inspector General of Police, Tafa Balogun, into custody, saying there was nothing wrong in DSS raiding judges’ homes.

Ademola said, at the mentioning of the case, that it would not be fair for him to continue with the case.

He announced that he would return the case file to the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Ibrahim Auta, for reassignment.

“The matter was here last on June 13, and it involves the DSS. I don’t want to handle any of its matters anymore.

“In the interest of fair hearing, I think I will move the file to another court because it will not be fair to me and to DSS.

“So, I will return the file to the Chief Judge to reassign. The case file is hereby returned to the Chief Judge for reassignment to another judge on personal grounds,” he said.

However, one of the accused, Abbas, prayed the judge not to withdraw from the case.

Abbas said that he and his co-accused would prefer to be tried by Ademola.

NAN reports that Ademola, on October 18, withdrew from a case brought against former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, retd., by the DSS.

Meanwhile, a retired Lagos State High Court judge, Justice Ebenezer Adebajo, retd., yesterday said if Nigeria must be preserved, the judiciary must standup to the executive, following the Department of State Services, DSS, raid on judges’ homes.

Condemning the raid, he noted that the DSS lacked the power to sue or be sued or even prosecute because the name in existence, according to the law, is State Security Services, SSS, not DSS.

He said: “If Nigeria is going to be preserved, the judiciary must standup to the executive in this matter. I wish the CJN and NJC the best of luck.”

According to the retired judge, who chaired a 3-man tribunal of inquiry into the July 4, 2014, incident between soldiers and some drivers of Bus Rapid Transit, BRT, in Lagos, the issue of tampering with a name created by law is prevalent in most suits prosecuted by states.

“I think it was the governor of Osun State that started this issue of naming the state, of which he is the governor,” he said.

Also, founding chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Nuhu Ribadu, has given a glimpse of how he felt taking his boss into custody.

Ribadu, who spoke at the 2016 Annual Lecture of Radio Nigeria in Abuja, said there was nothing wrong in the raid carried out in the homes of suspected corrupt judges by security agencies early this month.

The former chairman drew the attention of Nigerians that it was when corruption was being fought that those who uncomfortable with it would raise complaints and attacks on the agencies and asked for their support and understanding for the current leadership.

Ribadu said he even had to arrest his former boss, and former Inspector General of Police for that matter, accused of stealing over N10 billion of public funds and did not bat an eyelid.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/judge-withdraws-case-involving-dss-2/

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by eyesofgod: 12:45am On Oct 28, 2016
However, one of the accused, Abbas, prayed the judge not to withdraw from the case.

Abbas said that he and his co-accused would prefer to be tried by Ademola.

See yawa! Water don pass garri

Risky venture with illegal policy. Abeg EFCC come and assess this insurance disagreement.
Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by krasican(m): 1:34am On Oct 28, 2016
eyesofgod:

See yawa! Water don pass garri

Risky venture with illegal policy. Abeg EFCC come and assess this insurance disagreement.

YOU know weda dem don settle am grin grin grin grin

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by Cmoyor: 1:34am On Oct 28, 2016
judge:i withdraw from this case....
Accused: abeg handle my case
NIGERIA!!! I hail thee

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by Donshegxy10(m): 2:43am On Oct 28, 2016
way to go corrupt ( very sure) justice a.f.a ademola . however I dey suspect mr abass o.
Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by Pidggin(f): 2:51am On Oct 28, 2016
Nice one, the judiciary needs to stand up for themselves
Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by NOC1(m): 5:16am On Oct 28, 2016
Lol, why will the accused plead for the judge to stay, was there any night movement?

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by princemillla(m): 5:19am On Oct 28, 2016
Honestly since this judge think his stand on some cases will be thought otherwise, isn't better he step down or retire?

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by babyfaceafrica: 5:54am On Oct 28, 2016
Nice decision
Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by veekid(m): 9:01am On Oct 28, 2016
Yawa
Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by Nobody: 9:03am On Oct 28, 2016

No OOOOO Mi Ni Gba OOO

Oga Judge come back ooo...better come back!!! grin grin grin grin

I understand though, the cost of repairing all these Swiss Doors no be here for this economy
wink wink

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by teebaxy(m): 9:04am On Oct 28, 2016
Sometimes I wonder what our offence was to deserve terrible leaders like Buhari, Had it been he went to school he would have known that lawyers see themselves as learned colleagues. You probing a lawyer is like you are probing the entire judiciary and this people are trained to defend... To me Buhari can perform well (though not guaranteed as Efcc chairman)

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by Young03(m): 9:04am On Oct 28, 2016
I no read am sha
Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by edimahgurl(f): 9:04am On Oct 28, 2016
undecided cheesy grin embarassed issokay lipsrsealed
Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by oyetunder(m): 9:06am On Oct 28, 2016
K
Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by oyetunder(m): 9:07am On Oct 28, 2016
Who cares? In other climes, 95 percent of made in naija Judges should be serving life imprisonment. Why is it that an average Nigerian sees his or her position as an avenue to make money. Even if Naija office holders or bench-holders are to be paid 1 billion per week, they shall still steal, kill and destroy. No single meaningful justice had been served in this country for years. All these judges are vocal and cruel when it comes to petty thieves. They will jail a chicken thief for 10 years to serve as a deterrent to others, but when they see those who ate billions, they are eager to grant perpetual injunctions to protect them. The hunter must now be hunted please.

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by borntosuccess(m): 9:10am On Oct 28, 2016
OK na.
Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by worlexy(m): 9:11am On Oct 28, 2016
It's getting interesting
Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by Hardeysolution(m): 9:11am On Oct 28, 2016
It's a function of all Nigerians.. .....meanwhile will corruption fight corruption?

Jesus is then the best answer!

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by Popesboy: 9:12am On Oct 28, 2016
Pidggin:
Nice one, the judiciary needs to stand up for themselves
ya
Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by Hardeysolution(m): 9:13am On Oct 28, 2016
teebaxy:
Sometimes I wonder what our offence was to deserve terrible leaders like Buhari, Had it been he went to school he would have known that lawyers see themselves as learned colleagues. You probing a lawyer is like you are probing the entire judiciary and this people are trained to defend... To me Buhari can perform well (though not guaranteed as Efcc chairman)
I wonder if Buhari was the one who took them to their heels or the one who arrested them? EFCC is just doing its legal duty right then, they were ineffective!

I want us Nigerians to reason well.

May God help us

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by Vicadonis(m): 9:14am On Oct 28, 2016
Buhari and his men won't win any case in court till their tenure runs out

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by tonyot(m): 9:15am On Oct 28, 2016
Cmoyor:
judge:i withdraw from this case.... Accused: abeg handle my case NIGERIA!!! I hail thee
the accused no try at all...

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by Funlordjnr: 9:15am On Oct 28, 2016
Mr "injustce ademola"..... undecided
Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by teebaxy(m): 9:16am On Oct 28, 2016
Hardeysolution:
I wonder if Buhari was the one who took them to their heels or the one who arrested them? EFCC is just doing its legal duty right then, they were ineffective!

I want us Nigerians to reason well.

May God help us
is Efcc not a subject of the Executive and who is the chief executive officer? Reasoning well shouldn't be one sided!

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by paulo220(m): 9:17am On Oct 28, 2016
Nigerians re watching..... who laugh last,laughed best...
Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by infofta(m): 9:17am On Oct 28, 2016
SO the Judges now see themselves as untouchable (god). They should be allowed to do what they like. No check and balances. Any Judge who is a suspect should be arrested. No one is above the law.

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by teebaxy(m): 9:18am On Oct 28, 2016
I see no reason why our judiciary should not be independent

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by eDoctorr(m): 9:28am On Oct 28, 2016
Why is this man called Ademola always withdraw case? Habah! Na this type of Yoruba makes Ibo people tag us as Coward If he is not capable of being a Judge. He should resign naw.

Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by chemicalDisease: 9:35am On Oct 28, 2016
Zootobia Republic.
Re: Ademola Withdraws From Case Involving DSS by Thisis2raw(m): 9:40am On Oct 28, 2016
See how the judges are afraid to stand up against the the tyrant of Aso Rock and DSS.

See what Nigeria has turned into. Thank God we dey see am now

South-East Governors Won’t Apologise To IPOB – Umahi / Nigeria Increases AFDB Rights Before Presidency Vote / Abuja Is Something Else Today Oh, Someone Help Us!