Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,866 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please (2323 Views)

Arthur Eze Buys 2019 Roll Royce (Photos) / How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! / How To Check Odometer Fraud And How It Works In A Vechicle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by HotPotato(m): 4:16am On Oct 28, 2016
Hello house,

I ran a VIN Check on a car, and I observed that the odometer reading from the check was different from what I physically saw on the car, meaning that it was rolled back greatly. Please, is it anything I should worry about, as I'm about to pay for the car.

Thanks.
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by tempex88(m): 5:58am On Oct 28, 2016
HotPotato:
Hello house,

I ran a VIN Check on a car, and I observed that the odometer reading from the check was different from what I physically saw on the car, meaning that it was rolled back greatly. Please, is it anything I should worry about, as I'm about to pay for the car.

Thanks.

Odometer can be rolled back for different reason. Most time to attract buyer and in very few instances for genuine reasons. For me maintainance is key. If the car has been properly maintained and driver well, u can buy a car with high odometer. If not look for another car
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by soberdrunk(m): 6:23am On Oct 28, 2016
I dont know why people worry about 'high mileage', ironically a car with high mileage is a "good car" because its only a good car that can be well driven. Op as long as the car is in good condition and it meets your requirements pay and come wash am for us!! grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:28am On Oct 28, 2016
HotPotato:
Hello house,

Thanks.

No figures, no vehicle type/model. Quite disheartening.

1 Like

Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by HotPotato(m): 1:29pm On Oct 28, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

No figures, no vehicle type/model. Quite disheartening.

My Oga no vex o,
VIN report :177k
Actual on dashboard: 28k
08' Camry
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:51pm On Oct 28, 2016
HotPotato:

My Oga no vex o,
08' Camry

getting mileage lower than 100k on this particular vehicle is very unlikely unless you import it your self. if you find 1 it is most likely salvaged.

The only thing to worry about is oil shortage.
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by kingreign(m): 3:19pm On Oct 28, 2016
HotPotato:

My Oga no vex o,
08' Camry

This is a massive odometer defrauding shocked shocked
Bro, get ready you may start purchasing parts for replacing of wear and tear soon.
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by HotPotato(m): 6:22pm On Oct 28, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

The only thing to worry about is oil shortage.
[/color]

As a result of what please?
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by b2212(m): 7:36pm On Oct 28, 2016
HotPotato:

As a result of what please?

Age of the engine
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by Coolgent(m): 8:43pm On Oct 28, 2016
HotPotato:
Hello house,

Thanks.
My Honda civic 2000 has 235000 on odometer and still run like new, the most impressive things about it is ac and better fuel economy.
So in a nutshell maintainance is the key not low mileage
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by kingreign(m): 9:02pm On Oct 28, 2016
Coolgent:

My Honda civic 2000 has 235000 on odometer and still run like new, the most impressive things about it is ac and better fuel economy.
If its a toyota with a 2AZ-FE or 1AZ-FE, then it should be a serious cause of worry.
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:48pm On Oct 28, 2016
Coolgent:

I used to be team toyota before, until I studied honda engines and transmissions closely an realized, they were built to be really solid.

7 Likes

Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by Coolgent(m): 10:49pm On Oct 28, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

I used to be team toyota before, until I studied honda engines and transmissions closely an realized, they were built to be really solid.
There was a time when my timing belt spoilt unknown to me, i kept trying to start the car until ba3 ran down.
After pushing it tired grin we realised its timing belt!
After replacement nothing has been affected, i used the car for over 1yr before i sell it.
Thanks to Honda Civic .

NB: i was told if it was some car model valves must be affected or the entire engine.
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by mastro: 7:09am On Oct 31, 2016
HotPotato:

My Oga no vex o,
08' Camry

Personally I would walk away, if the seller is ready to lie so blatantly about the mileage, what else is he lying about? Probably everything regarding the car, so no service history, so you can't see how well the car was maintained.
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by Kashif(m): 9:57am On Oct 31, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Yes about Honda engines, but not transmissions. Some established shops wont touch them. They have now started using transmissions made by OEM suppliers, because of reliability issues.
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by Kashif(m): 10:09am On Oct 31, 2016
HotPotato:

My Oga no vex o,
08' Camry

28K on a 2008 car is unrealistic anyways. One pointer to actual mileage is to examine the brake pedal.

You will do well to stay away from that car. It is better he left it the way it came; that way, you know what you are purchasing. If it was owned by careless souls, you will be having tonnes of repair hurdle to cross. Mileage matters in any automobile.

I worked on a transmission, and based my estimate on the mileage on the dash. When it did not respond well based on the standard parts used for its assumed mileage, I went searching for its actual mileage, and found it was 130k more!
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by blunt2dcore(m): 4:31pm On Oct 31, 2016
I will advise you conduct a very detailed check on the vehicle by a good mechanic/auto-electrician. If the results of the check is OK, use the mileage discrepancy as an opportunity to negotiate a lower deal on the car.
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by Lexusgs430: 5:50pm On Oct 31, 2016
HotPotato:

My Oga no vex o,
08' Camry

If you really want to buy this high mileaged vehicle and not the rolled back version. Inform the seller your observation about the mileage roll back, price the car at a value of a car with 177k miles (expecting that a vehicle with a true mileage of 28k, would definitely be more durable than the 117k miles)
The truth be told, the seller was trying to sell you a lion, that looks like a cub.................
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by Lexusgs430: 5:54pm On Oct 31, 2016
HotPotato:
Hello house,

Thanks.

If you do not want to be eating very hotpotato, don't pay the screen value price, use the mileage discrepancy to negotiate a coldpotato deal........ ..........
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by MPVGoddess: 8:39am On Nov 02, 2016
Kashif:

Yes about Honda engines, but not transmissions. Some established shops wont touch them. They have now started using transmissions made by OEM suppliers, because of reliability issues.

Honda no longer building transmissions in-house?
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by erico2k2(m): 10:36pm On Nov 02, 2016
HotPotato:

My Oga no vex o,
08' Camry
U need to dash the seller two slap and run away as far as your leg can carry
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by erico2k2(m): 10:40pm On Nov 02, 2016
Coolgent:

There was a time when my timing belt spoilt unknown to me, i kept trying to start the car until ba3 ran down.
After pushing it tired grin we realised its timing belt!
After replacement nothing has been affected, i used the car for over 1yr before i sell it.
Thanks to Honda Civic .

NB: i was told if it was some car model valves must be affected or the entire engine.

you where lucky the car was not in motion when that happened, u 4 tell us another story
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by erico2k2(m): 10:41pm On Nov 02, 2016
Coolgent:

Have you changed your timing belt/chain?
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by Coolgent(m): 8:33am On Nov 03, 2016
erico2k2:

Have you changed your timing belt/chain?
No nothing has been done on the Car except oil change at 2k/3k KM, new plugs,,l cleaning of air filter and injectors
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by Coolgent(m): 8:36am On Nov 03, 2016
erico2k2:

you where lucky the car was not in motion when that happened, u 4 tell us another story
Bros believe me i was travelling on highway with full load (5 persons) at speed of 100/120km per hour thats when the engine shut up suddenly
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by erico2k2(m): 2:52pm On Nov 03, 2016
Coolgent:

Bros believe me i was travelling on highway with full load (5 persons) at speed of 100/120km per hour thats when the engine shut up suddenly
I think you have a Belt instead. Not a chain .
Well of your timing chain snap in motion you will damage everything round it . The speed and the strength of it would cracking a rocker cover .
Belts are meant to be changed every 60k to 901 miles I think
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by Coolgent(m): 1:57pm On Nov 04, 2016
erico2k2:

I think you have a Belt instead. Not a chain .
Well of your timing chain snap in motion you will damage everything round it . The speed and the strength of it would cracking a rocker cover .
Belts are meant to be changed every 60k to 901 miles I think
Yes its timing belt not chain!
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by Kashif(m): 9:01am On Nov 11, 2016
MPVGoddess:

Honda no longer building transmissions in-house?

They do, but now have transmissions from other suppliers.
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by MPVGoddess: 2:13pm On Nov 11, 2016
Kashif:

They do, but now have transmissions from other suppliers.

In which models if i may ask?
Re: Odometer Reading Roll Back - Advice Please by Kashif(m): 5:42pm On Nov 11, 2016
MPVGoddess:

In which models if i may ask?

2014 and later Acura, MDX, Pilot. Another manufacturer supplied the auto in S2000. There are more, but cant remember now.

(1) (Reply)

Where To Get Brand New Cars In Nigeria / Vulcanized Association Increases Their Charges (picture) / Ia This Car Economical???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.