Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,132 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck (14259 Views)

Osinbajo, Obasanjo, Ekwueme, Diya, Gowon, Ukiwe Form Choir. Sing For Nigeria / Babangida's 75th Birthday Interview: "I’m Not The Evil Many Think I Am" / Okorocha, Ikpeazu, Nwobodo, Ikedife, Ukiwe In Imo 4 Ohaneze Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by cosby02(m): 6:45am On Oct 29, 2016
A FORMER Chief of General Staff(Vice-President under the military) Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe ,retd turned 76 on Wednesday. While attending to well wishers he spared us few minutes for this exclusive interview. He examined the multifaceted crises in Nigeria and said that normalcy should be urgently restored in the country. Ukiwe, who was the first number two man to former President Ibrahim Babangida from 1985-1986 also spoke on pro-Biafra agitation and war against corruption among others.

What does being 76 mean to you?

I feel alright and I feel very happy with myself because I live well and eat well. When I look back at events and how I passed through them, I just thank God for His blessings because without God’s blessings I could not have passed through the things I passed through successfully and happily.

In retrospect, what were the turning points in your life and career as a military officer?

It is a bit difficult to go through those events in an environment like this because they are many. Life to me is like a ladder, you take one step at a time. And if you don’t do like that, you will have a problem. I have passed through a lot of things and came out successfully right from birth to school, training and qualification as a Naval officer commissioned in the Royal Navy.

I have driven ships in the ocean as a captain. And I did that with so many risks and I reached the level politically where I was one of the few that had the privilege to have governed two states in the country which were Niger and Lagos states. From there, I eventually became the Chief of General Staff which translated in civilian terms as a Vice-President. In each of these appointments, there were hurdles and there were also some disappointments but with my faith in God and the struggle to ensure that I remained disciplined, God saw me through. That is why I am here.

Nigeria has gone through a lot of crisis like the civil war, do you think the lessons learned are being applied in the interest of the nation and do you think the nation learnt lessons from its experiences?

I will say that at any point, whatever obstacle anyone crosses, there are some lessons to learnt from it. Whoever does not learn from such things is a loser, if you learn from such obstacles you will excel and go higher. But the person may still face further obstacles but he may have developed the discipline to handle such problems. In Nigeria, I must say things have gone very bad.

Things went very bad. And they happened because they were allowed to rot and ferment given that there was not enough action to prevent them from going bad. From the way things are, you can see that they are trying to fight corruption. they are not finding it easy because corruption was allowed to spread like a disease and like a wildfire.

Now, knowing how to handle it is a problem. Those, who should carry the blame and responsibilities that follow it are those, who saw evil being committed and did nothing. Not now that it had gone like a wildfire, spreading everywhere that one or two cases would be picked with the aim of addressing it. It is a very difficult thing now but it is a problem that can only be solved. There is no alternative to that. It has to be controlled, people have to face it, the leadership must face the issue of corruption squarely.

Do you think President Buhari’s approach to it is the way to go about it?

I don’t think it will be good to just pinpoint Buhari regarding how the situation is. The issue had been quite bad before Buhari came in. So, pointing at him as if he has the capacity to do it and does not want to do it may not be right. There are things he is doing in form of policies that are right. To agree to fight corruption totally is right but the method is like strategy and tactics. Your tactics may not work, if that is the case, tactics could be changed in order to meet the main objective which is to fight corruption and wipe it out.

It is obvious that he has to make some changes, it is obvious that he has to have a second look at his tactics and see how best to handle it. You can see that the whole country is at a standstill regarding the issue that is happening about the judges, the lawyers, the National Judicial Council. The country is stuck. What is now needed is to apply all the caution and reason to be able to bring back normalcy to some extent to be able to fight corruption.

I don’t think it is an issue of just picking up Buhari and asking if he is doing it well or not. The issue requires everybody to be involved and if need be they should set up a committee. And the selection of the men who will be on the committee would even be more important than the policies of fighting corruption. It does not require preaching for anybody to know that one man cannot fight corruption. You need a man, who has the wisdom to not only identify the cause of action but to select the type of men that can do the job. If you can’t select them, you have failed already.

46 years after the civil war, some young Igbo men are asking for Biafra, as someone, who played key roles during the war, what message do you have for them?

I don’t think I have any strong message for them because even the way they are going about it is not the right way. I fought the war and I suffered all the inconveniences of the failure of that war. What they are doing, I have not been able to understand.

And I believe that if they can subject themselves to a little discussion, we will be able to talk to them and they will be able to understand what should be done. Criticising them will not be the solution, but if they are willing to be talked to we, will do that. I believe that if we are able to talk to them and the government, both sides will see sense in what to do and solve the problem.

What sort of Nigeria do you wish to see in the nearest future?

Every young man will know the type of Nigeria we desire. Right now, Nigeria is in chaos. That is what it is. So, the Nigeria we want is where there is peace, progress, development and general wellbeing of the people. The problems in the country are the symptoms of a disease. We have to identify what the disease is and not chasing symptoms.

Diagnosis of the disease is the first thing before applying the right medicine. A good leader cannot emerge in the country through the type of fraudulent elections we often have, deceit and looting of the treasury. Now, the problem has got to the stage of kidnapping, raping, and assassinations.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/nigerias-chaos-stuck/

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by zakim(m): 6:55am On Oct 29, 2016
God sent Buhari ...

11 Likes

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by SillyMods: 7:17am On Oct 29, 2016
Only bigots and perpetual wailers have failed to understand this fact.

PMB has only come to clean the mess left behind by sixteen years of PDP rule.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 29, 2016
SillyMods:

Op, park well!

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by dunkem21(m): 7:33am On Oct 29, 2016
You're right sir .. I wish things would go back to being bad instead of making it worse cheesy

Now, we are moving closer to worst cry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by sarrki(m): 7:35am On Oct 29, 2016
Real patriotic Nigerians are talking

God bless you sire

13 Likes

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by aninexzy(m): 8:12am On Oct 29, 2016
am smelling something fishy......
Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Nobody: 8:12am On Oct 29, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Venone40(m): 8:13am On Oct 29, 2016
He has spoken well

1 Like

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Okeikpu(m): 8:17am On Oct 29, 2016
Another Hausa/Fulani slave

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by babyfaceafrica: 8:19am On Oct 29, 2016
Ipod yoots will call him afonja now!

14 Likes

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by hollywater: 8:20am On Oct 29, 2016
The last paragraph said it all.
Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Pavore9: 8:21am On Oct 29, 2016
He spoke well.

1 Like

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by 24SEVEN: 8:21am On Oct 29, 2016
My inference.

1) Ebitu Ukiwe acknowledges that corruption is killing Nigeria and has to be killed for Nigeria to survive. He supports Buharis fight against corruption but be doesn't necessarily support the tactics used. He didn't also suggest a preferable tactic.

2) Ebitu Ukiwe doesn't seem to support Biafra but he feels the agitators for biafra should be given an opportunity for dialogue. Their grievances should be listened to when the IPOB/MASSOB group decide to consult their elders. Nice one

Ebitu Ukiwe as someone who served the Nigerian state is really a stateman and should be commended for fatherly approach.

I support Biafra, as a means of escape from Nigerias strangling corruption and tribalism.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Larryin: 8:22am On Oct 29, 2016
Venone40:
He has spoken well
ehn
Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Orikinla(m): 8:27am On Oct 29, 2016
SillyMods:

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by maxman01: 8:31am On Oct 29, 2016
He is a true patriot "a nigerian" not ppl sayin ur r a zombie or a wailer or a hailing haler all those r not makin sense u can criticize or agree wit d govt

1 Like

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Justiyke4u: 8:32am On Oct 29, 2016
Chaos indeed
Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Bom4Real: 8:33am On Oct 29, 2016
Ebitu is not a sycophant,I love how objective he is even though I don't like Dullard

1 Like

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 29, 2016
Okeikpu:
Another Hausa/Fulani slave
Young boy, you should have taught about what you typed. It shows you were not properly trained for you to call an elderstateman a slave.
I observed it is very common on this forum for all these misguided and misinformed so called yoots

11 Likes

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Generalkorex(m): 8:36am On Oct 29, 2016
Ok na
Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 29, 2016
My stew got burnt
Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by precioushill(f): 8:47am On Oct 29, 2016
46 years after the civil war, some young Igbo men are asking for Biafra, as someone, who played key roles during the war, what message do you have for them?

I don’t think I have any strong message for them because even the way they are going about it is not the right way. I fought the war and I suffered all the inconveniences of the failure of that war. What they are doing, I have not been able to understand.

And I believe that if they can subject themselves to a little discussion, we will be able to talk to them and they will be able to understand what should be done. Criticising them will not be the solution, but if they are willing to be talked to we, will do that. I believe that if we are able to talk to them and the government, both sides will see sense in what to do and solve the problem.

This-is-a-tactical-f=show-of-support-for-biafra-course....Hear-him-''I don’t think I have any strong message for them because even the way they are going about it is not the right way''.''Criticising them will not be the solution, but if they are willing to be talked to we, will do that''.

Then-the-combo-to-buharis-government...''The issue had been quite bad before Buhari came in. So, pointing at him as if he has the capacity to do it and does not want to do it may not be right''.And-another-one...''Right now, Nigeria is in chaos''...Diagnosis of the disease is the first thing before applying the right medicine. A good leader cannot emerge in the country through the type of fraudulent elections we often have, deceit and looting of the treasury''....ok-datsall...bye

4 Likes

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Antoeni(m): 8:52am On Oct 29, 2016
One if Nigeria 's finest soldier
Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by sarrki(m): 8:53am On Oct 29, 2016
Oladimejip:

How patriotic is he? I don't get

He's a patriot

He as never been indicted in looting of our common wealth.

Always together with the Nigerian state

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by gidgiddy: 9:11am On Oct 29, 2016
SillyMods:

Well, considering that Nigerians have never had it so bad under Buhari than they did under PDP, one has yo ask if Buhari is doing the cleaning with trash? Personally, I think think that Buhari is a visionless and highly divisive leader whos administration will be the worst in Nigerian history.

I like Ebitu Ukiwe. He was a young naval officer when the war broke out and he joined the Biafran navy and fought for his people. I like people who stand up for their own people. Had Biafra survived, he probably would have later ended up as chief of Naval Staff

3 Likes

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by OHIsIManuEL(m): 9:12am On Oct 29, 2016
SillyMods:

You said pdp left mess after 16years of pdp rule, obj himself made half of that mess in his 8years rule which was longer than any other person's rule, but now he's rolling with buhari and apc, TF you talking about?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by cyrilamx(m): 9:25am On Oct 29, 2016
Not just 16 years but 31 years of utter destruction, canonisation of corruption and "chop, I chop" beginning with IBB. Fro the ouster of Buhari as military head of States in August 1985, when first waged war as an absolute dictator against economic saboteurs, drug peddlers and political looters and indiscipline. Today, Nigeria would have been better for it if we were patient then.[quote author=Orikinla post=50596892][/quote]

1 Like

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by sammhi(m): 9:38am On Oct 29, 2016
SillyMods:

Yea , Just that his ( PMB ) tactics and strategies are not working and has plunge the country into chaos and standstill

1 Like

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Nobody: 10:54am On Oct 29, 2016
cyrilamx:
Not just 16 years but 31 years of utter destruction, canonisation of corruption and "chop, I chop" beginning with IBB. Fro the ouster of Buhari as military head of States in August 1985, when first waged war as an absolute dictator against economic saboteurs, drug peddlers and political looters and indiscipline. Today, Nigeria would have been better for it if we were patient then.

This is a replica of what 1984 looked like.
Let's be patient, the dull one is not yet done with us....... and lest I forget, there is no IBB to save you now. Na OYO grin

1 Like

Re: Ebitu Ukiwe 76th Birthday Interview: Nigeria’s In Chaos, It’s Stuck by Nobody: 10:54am On Oct 29, 2016
cyrilamx:
Not just 16 years but 31 years of utter destruction, canonisation of corruption and "chop, I chop" beginning with IBB. Fro the ouster of Buhari as military head of States in August 1985, when first waged war as an absolute dictator against economic saboteurs, drug peddlers and political looters and indiscipline. Today, Nigeria would have been better for it if we were patient then.

This is a replica of what 1984 looked like.
Let's be patient, the dull one is not yet done with us....... and lest I forget, there is no IBB to save you now. Na OYO grin

Loving Baba Cassandra till 2023

(1) (2) (Reply)

Malabu Scandal: Why We Must Question Jonathan – Reps / 2019: Segun Osoba Doubts Apc’s Victory In Presidential Election / Anambra Explosion: President Buhari Reacts, Sympathises With Victims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.