Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,273 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant (7088 Views)

Meet Nigeria's Oldest Woman 191-yr Old Mama Esifiho(photos) / Court Drops Murder Charges Against The 15yr-old Child-bride Who Killed Her Hubby / Strange Death Of Nigeria's Oldest Man *this Man,160, Never Took Photograph In His Life Time. He Died (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant by MrCrackles(m): 11:11pm On Oct 28, 2009
stillwater:

I only feel pity for best friends. *rolls eyes*
grin cheesy grin tongue
Re: Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 28, 2009
Desperate times I guess we all will do what we have to do to survive grin
Re: Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant by RichyBlacK(m): 12:25am On Oct 29, 2009
Sagamite:

Humane laws should incorporate common sense or else it is common nonsense.

How can a man looking like that claim he is 15 and you don't throw his arse out ASAP?

Only in foolish and stupid UK. I trust places like Italy and Spain.

So because of humane laws, someone like Desmond Tutu would arrive at your shores and say he is 20 and you will still need to waste taxpayers money to test if it is true?

Common sense should guide them in such an extreme case, otherwise their humane laws are hopeless.

The least they should have done was to put him in detention whilst they do the test as it is so obvious he is a liar and a risk.

Abeg stop postulating ridiculous ideals.

@Sagamite,

Stop ranting like an Oshodi conductor.

You think the UKBA is like your inept Nigerian immigration officers? Who told you Italian and Spanish authorities don't follow the law?

The issue here is following the law. The UKBA abide by the laws enacted by the UK legislature. And arbitrary decisions made by subjective assessments leave more room for favoritism, bias, unequal standards and expressions of prejudice.

What you call commonsense, in this context, is just banal primitive logic. Abiding by the laws on the book, not just viewing them like a list of suggestions, is a hallmark of developed nations. Look at Nigeria where nice laws are enacted but the NPF do everything in their power to ignore the enacted laws and do as they please, most likely backing their stupidity, pilfering and cold-blooded murders for N20 with that trite two-letter word "common sense".

If you don't appreciate the importance of following the law then you have a lot to learn.

Are there laws that are inhumane? Yes! The Jim Crow laws in the US South, the anti-Jewish laws in Nazi Germany, Apartheid laws in South Africa and in present-day Palestine are good examples. However, we're not talking about laws meant to degrade humanity but laws that respect the dignity of man!
Re: Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant by jextoban: 7:07am On Oct 29, 2009
wow wow wow .am just so speechless at the video.may GOD help him .
Re: Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant by Sagamite(m): 7:30am On Oct 29, 2009
RichyBlacK:

@Sagamite,

Stop ranting like an Oshodi conductor.

You think the UKBA is like your inept Nigerian immigration officers? Who told you Italian and Spanish authorities don't follow the law?

The issue here is following the law. The UKBA abide by the laws enacted by the UK legislature. And arbitrary decisions made by subjective assessments leave more room for favoritism, bias, unequal standards and expressions of prejudice.

What you call commonsense, in this context, is just banal primitive logic. Abiding by the laws on the book, not just viewing them like a list of suggestions, is a hallmark of developed nations. Look at Nigeria where nice laws are enacted but the NPF do everything in their power to ignore the enacted laws and do as they please, most likely backing their stupidity, pilfering and cold-blooded murders for N20 with that trite two-letter word "common sense".

If you don't appreciate the importance of following the law then you have a lot to learn.

Are there laws that are inhumane? Yes! The Jim Crow laws in the US South, the anti-Jewish laws in Nazi Germany, Apartheid laws in South Africa and in present-day Palestine are good examples. However, we're not talking about laws meant to degrade humanity but laws that respect the dignity of man!

My friend, cut this crap and engage higher thinking.

Any humane law that can not allow subjective assessment in such extreme cases or at least some form of detention is completely useless and dangerous.

These are the type of laws that is giving the BNP fuel in elections.

Places like Italy, Spain, Greece etc are not as anal as the UK in implementing these stupid policies.

So you want to tell me, Obama bin Laden will show up at UK airport without documents but with his beard and say he is 12 and because of "humane laws" the UKBA will let him into the country whilst they do a test?

Bloody stupid policy, Utopian rubbish.
Re: Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant by RichyBlacK(m): 4:40pm On Oct 29, 2009
Sagamite:

Any humane law that can not allow subjective assessment in such extreme cases or at least some form of detention is completely useless and dangerous.

Places like Italy, Spain, Greece etc are not as anal as the UK in implementing these stupid policies.

So you want to tell me, Obama bin Laden will show up at UK airport without documents but with his beard and say he is 12 and because of "humane laws" the UKBA will let him into the country whilst they do a test?

This situation doesn't fall within that set of situations where he disparity it is painfully obvious. The guy may not be 15, but it's possible for an actual 15-year old to look like that.

The human body is quite complex and many people have different health conditions. Hutchinson–Gilford progeria syndrome is a "genetic condition wherein symptoms resembling aspects of aging are manifested at an early age". Thankfully, you aware of privacy issues regarding health and the need to respect such privacy. Hence, it is possible for a traveler to look older than his/her actual age, and if we simply resort to that annoying oh-so-Nigerian manner of assessment "See im head. Who dash monkey banana? The guy no fit be that age way im dey claim. Abi im tink say we be mugu?", then the we run the risk of treating people inhumanely simply because we're not aware of their health conditions.

Also, difficult conditions of living, poor nutrition, and other genetic factors (beyond the Progeria) can make someone look much older than his/her age ordinarily suggests.

We are in the era of science, the age of information and the century of biology! We cannot and must not discard available less-subjective-cum-objective technologies and rely on imperfect, subjective, biased, unreliable, potentially prejudiced human assessment!

The UKBA did the right thing!

I understand your point about the BNP political talking points, but we shouldn't allow politics to get in the way of proper, respectful and humane treatment of all individuals. Even criminals need to be treated properly, provided adequate health care, rehabilitation facilities, e.g. education, technical training, etc.

We may just be on different ideological divides, and if that's the case, I respect your view. However, I'm a big supporter of human rights and respecting the dignity of man in ALL situations!

Thank you.
Re: Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant by morpheus24: 4:58pm On Oct 29, 2009
@ poster

More scenes for the BNP to be laughing about.!

Tha begging was too disgusting to finish watching.
Re: Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant by DisGuy: 5:41pm On Oct 29, 2009
morpheus24:

@ poster

More scenes for the BNP to be laughing about.!

Tha begging was too disgusting to finish watching.

this is the part i still hate most, and its like a nigerian thing, a pregnant woman was begging
in another episode like you are proving them right by begging!!! and not like they just change their mind

whats with the somkers' brush grin
Re: Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant by Sagamite(m): 8:48pm On Oct 29, 2009
RichyBlacK:

This situation doesn't fall within that set of situations where he disparity it is painfully obvious. The guy may not be 15, but it's possible for an actual 15-year old to look like that.

The human body is quite complex and many people have different health conditions. Hutchinson–Gilford progeria syndrome is a "genetic condition wherein symptoms resembling aspects of aging are manifested at an early age". Thankfully, you aware of privacy issues regarding health and the need to respect such privacy. Hence, it is possible for a traveler to look older than his/her actual age, and if we simply resort to that annoying oh-so-Nigerian manner of assessment "See im head. Who dash monkey banana? The guy no fit be that age way im dey claim. Abi im tink say we be mugu?", then the we run the risk of treating people inhumanely simply because we're not aware of their health conditions.

I completely disagree.

He does not look anything like 15 in any way. As I said, common sense would need to be infused into their decision making. Anyone with a health condition that makes them look different from their age would quickly explain this at the first opportunity with the Border Agency. It was obvious this guy's has nothing to do with health and he was out to lie.

He had material that was proof he was coached on what to say when asked about his circumstances. That is evidence he is not a health situation. He was using a fake, tampered passport. That is evidence he is not a health situation. Case was closed when he said he had been in secondary school since 1990. Common sense should have been applied and be allowed in such a situation.

RichyBlacK:

Also, difficult conditions of living, poor nutrition, and other genetic factors (beyond the Progeria) can make someone look much older than his/her age ordinarily suggests.

Poor nutrition at age of 15 would stunt growth, it might be over middle age that the individual would look old.

No way would poor nutrition make a 15 year old look 33, he would most likely lack height not be a muscular hardened looking adult that turns Ebonyeyes on.  grin

Otherwise our Age-grade footballers just found a salvation excuse.

RichyBlacK:

I understand your point about the BNP political talking points, but we shouldn't allow politics to get in the way of proper, respectful and humane treatment of all individuals. Even criminals need to be treated properly, provided adequate health care, rehabilitation facilities, e.g. education, technical training, etc.

Prison should be a place for primarily punishment. A place you don't want to go to. Not the stupid 1-star hotel they have in the UK all in the name of human rights and prisoner reformation.

The secondary focus, rehabilitation, should be implemented as a programme where if you are diligent and succeed, you can reduce your punishment.

If they are going to waste the UK's taxpayers money to test the impossible and a situation where overwhelming LIVE evidence indicates the person is a liar, the least they should do is put him in detention. Nothing inhumane in using their common sense.
Re: Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant by Beaf: 10:50pm On Oct 29, 2009
Sagamite:

grin
Re: Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant by Sagamite(m): 6:47am On Oct 30, 2009
Beaf:

grin

Chei, sorry o, CIA! grin

Na major mix-up o, no disrespect. grin
Re: Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant by Sagamite(m): 10:41am On Oct 31, 2009
I forgot to add: A prisoner should not under any circumstances, be afforded lifestyle amenities like healthcare, food, entertainment etc that is of higher standard than what can be afforded by the majority of the bottom subset of the working class in the specific nation under the guise of "humane laws". application of quality should be varied depending on the crime type.

I would expect rigorous application for violent crimes like armed robbery, kidnaping, rape, GBH etc and less rigourously applied for non-violent, less impact crimes like small-scale fraud or contempt of court.

Prison should be punishment, otherwise you defeat the aim.

Self development amenities like Training, education etc can be excluded from this and used as a tool for reducing the punishment if the prisoner is making a self-forced effort to improve. I don't give a toss what goodie-two-shoes human rights advocates like Amnesty International might rant.
Re: Meet Nigeria's Oldest Looking 15yr Old Immigrant by thameamead(f): 1:08pm On Jul 24, 2010
I feel sorry for him.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Stoned Heavily In Lagos Island / Touching Photos: Family Members Of The Condemned Drug Traffickers In Indonesia. / APC Plotting To Use Federal Might In Kogi, Bayelsa Polls - PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.