Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,119 members, 7,852,795 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 05:52 AM

Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua (3624 Views)

Atiku, Tinubu In Race For APC Bot Chair / Buhari Hosts Zuma To A State Banquet; Osinbajo, Atiku, Tinubu Joins / US Deploys Ground Forces Against Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by pcicero(m): 4:20pm On Oct 29, 2009
I seriously think that there is nothing wrong with having a coalition of opposition leaders ganging up against Yar adua. But i get jittery when i realize that what they are after is just to wrestle power and then continue the vicious cycle.
Nigeria is in this political quagmire because opposition is not based on constructive criticisms of government policies and then offer alternative suggestions but it's to get a piece of the national cake.
What important contributions have they made on ASUU strike? Planned removal of subsidy? Recent bank shake-ups and other economic policies? What are their views on the MDGs? Even those opposition parties in government at state levels are still grappling with menial issues like affordable housing, qualitative education etc.
What Awolowo did with his regional government are still there for all to see.
Some of these opposition leaders are even opposed to criticisms, they are self- styled, pseudo-progressive leaders.
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by citizenY(m): 4:22pm On Oct 29, 2009
Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu, Falae, again?

This game plan can only work if they are not gunning for the top job.

They should take a back seat and give us a yuppie .

They have been at the barricades for too long, protesting and compromising

We need a government of action, not protest.
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by Akanbiedu(m): 4:26pm On Oct 29, 2009
pcicero:

I seriously think that there is nothing wrong with having a coalition of opposition leaders ganging up against Yar adua. But i get jittery when i realize that what they are after is just to wrestle power and then continue the vicious cycle.
Nigeria is in this political quagmire because opposition is not based on constructive criticisms of government policies and then offer alternative suggestions but it's to get a piece of the national cake.
What important contributions have they made on ASUU strike? Planned removal of subsidy? Recent bank shake-ups and other economic policies? What are their views on the MDGs? Even those opposition parties in government at state levels are still grappling with menial issues like affordable housing, qualitative education etc.
What Awolowo did with his regional government are still there for all to see.
Some of these opposition leaders are even opposed to criticisms, they are self- styled, pseudo-progressive leaders.

I am very hopeful because of people like you.
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by mrperfect(m): 5:05pm On Oct 29, 2009
We need solution to move the country forward.
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by emaginate: 5:57pm On Oct 29, 2009
a pack of wolves forming an alliance to unseat another animal, interesting fight indeed,lets watch and see, when its time to come up with a consensus candidate i wonder who they will choose
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by MrCrackles(m): 5:58pm On Oct 29, 2009
What is the point of joining forces to fight YaRaDUNCE
All you need is a shove in the chest and he's off to Saudi Arabia or Germany. . .
A big blow might send him into extinction! grin
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by Nobody: 6:27pm On Oct 29, 2009
@mr crackles
u better be careful before they charge for treason & SEDITION,
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by OAM4J: 8:24pm On Oct 29, 2009
I dont know how far this is true, but I read sometimes ago (sorry don’t have source now) that Atiku, Buhari, Falae are all not interested in being the flag-bearer again, but are more interested in creating another formidable political platform.

Now my take remains, if we don’t have another big party, Nigeria might become a one-party country. Imagine PDP chairman saying PDP will rule for the next 60yrs, even when they have nothing to show for the past years.

If PDP will continue to rule, the fact that there is a formidable party in the corner might ginger them to perform. Someone told me that if Yar’adua is nominated again for PDP, he will automatically win. It’s just horrible. I can’t imagine another 4 years for Yar’adua going at this pace.

I also seriously think it will take another big party that can match PDP number for number, money for money and spread for spread to cub PDP election’s rigging.
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by OAM4J: 10:34pm On Oct 29, 2009
Chief Olu Falae (left), former Head of State, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, former Sokoto State Governor, Attahiru Bafarawa and former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, at the meeting of the National Democratic Initiative at the Sheraton Hotel, Abuja, yesterday , Nigerian Guardian News

Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by sjeezy8: 10:50pm On Oct 29, 2009
None of them will be the the nominees most likely. I think they know how much power is to be gained from the behind the scenes like Tinubu.

Cross river's Donald Duke is there also he might might the front runner and maybe a northerner or yoruba as vice.
Either way its good,

I dont know about all these posters who are criticizing it- dreaming of a fairy tale  political party, full of fairy tale politicians. Nigerians better wake up and learn to choose the lesser of the two evils cause there WILL NEVER BE  a perfect political party or candidate.
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by OAM4J: 11:02pm On Oct 29, 2009
L-R:Fmr. ANPP presidential candidate,Gen. Muhammed Buhari(rtd);fmr. Sokoto State Gov., Dr. Attahiru Bafarawa;fmr. VP Atiku Abubakar and Chairm.,Lagos Business School,Prof. Pat Utomi during the meeting of DMI in Abuja… yesterday.PHOTO:Sunday Aghaeze THIS DAY

Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by OAM4J: 11:19pm On Oct 29, 2009
[size=18pt]Buhari: We are on a Rescue Mission[/size]
From Ali M. Ali in Abuja, 10.29.2009

The emerging coalition of opposition forces in the country met again yesterday in Abuja under the auspices of the National Democratic Initiative (NDI) with the chairman of the forum and former Head of State, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd), saying the time was ripe to halt Nigeria’s drift. He said the coalition was on a rescue mission.
As earlier reported by THISDAY that the ­group was said to float a political organisation to be known as National Demo-cratic Movement (NDM), the coalition resolved to transmute into NDM and work together to rescue the nation from what it called an imminent collapse.
In his opening speech entitled “Nigeria: Time to Arrest the Drift,” Buhari appraised the country’s steady decline in the last 10 years and declared that as conscientious citizens, the group was determined to change the direction the nation is headed, which he described as dangerous.
Buhari had contested the 2003 and 2007 presidential elections on the platform of the All Nigeria People Party (ANPP) but lost on both occasions.
He alleged that the elections were characterised by large scale rigging and irregularities and went on to challenge the outcome of the polls at the election tribunal but lost.
The former head of state told the cream of the opposition bigwigs gathered at the Sheraton Hotels and Towers, Abuja venue of the meeting that change by its very nature does not happen by itself but has to be brought about.
He said the group is ready to begin exploring ways of peacefully bringing about the needed change.
In attendance at the meeting were Chief Olu Falae, Alhaji Attahiru Bafarawa, Prof. Pat Utomi, Dr Usman Bugaje, Alhaji Abba Kyari, Alhaji Saidu Barda, Great Ogboru, Tonye Princewill, Dr Suleman Kumo, Chief Rasaq Lawal, Gen. Bashir Magashi, Dr. Mike Ahamba, Chief Dapo Sarumi and Lawal Jaafar Isa among others.
Buhari berated the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)-led government for its failure to ensure law and order in the country and provide a secure environment, noting that kidnapping and ritual killings have become the order of the day.
He also lamented the prevalent decay in infrastructure, the collapse of education, parlous state of our roads, poor water supply, epileptic power supply and endemic corruption, which he said had collectively constituted a threat to the survival of the state.
He said: “, no conscientious citizen can remain unconcerned in the face of what is happening today. That is why we are alarmed, but we are tired of sitting and agonizing over what is happening. Therefore, we are here because we want to see change in the direction in which this nation is going. But by its very nature, change will not come by itself; it has to be brought about. So we are all gathered here today to begin exploring ways of bringing about that needed democratic change peacefully…”
Buhari said nothing was working in the country, explaining that unemployment was heading for the roof tops while there were high inflation rate, low industrial capacity utilization and a poorly managed economy.
“The bitter truth is that nothing is really working as it should in the country; and no one seems to care with unemployment high, inflation rate high, industrial capacity utilization at its lowest ebb. This is an economy with an automatic pilot without destination in sight. With our elections rigged, our legislators are very often more interested in the so-called constituency projects than making laws and our judiciary really afraid of its own independence. This is a polity already thrown to the dogs,’’ he said.
The former head of state said the emerging coalition was committed to the principles of federalism and multi-party liberal social democracy and laissez-faire economic policy that is fully grounded in state welfarism.
“On the issue of rule of law, we also say what they say, that is, we stand by the rule of law. But when we say it, we mean it and it is very different from what we see them do. We hold that for democracy to have any meaning, elections must not only be free and fair, votes cast must count and must be counted,’’ he said.
Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar described the coalition as patriotic nationalists, true democrats and reformers “who share a belief in good governance, social justice and rule of law”.
He said despite the bleak present, “Nigeria’s best years are yet to come”.
The former vice-president restated his belief in a two-party system as opposed to multiple parties outlining the inherent dangers in a multiparty system.
“Multiple parties have led us in two unwholesome but related directions. One is that often one of the parties becomes so dominant and intoxicated with power and arrogance that it brings the country to the brink of complete collapse. The other, which is often the consequence of the former, is that some other parties recoil to become regional parties which exacerbate our regional, ethnic and religious differences. Both of these are dangerous for this country,” Atiku said.
A communiqué after the meeting signed by the Director-General of Buhari Campaign Organization (TBO), Sule Yahaya Hamma, also stated that the coalition would set up two committees on contact and mobilization to mobilize groups with similar aims and objectives to harmonize their various positions.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=158365
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by Babasexy(m): 11:48pm On Oct 29, 2009
Hope it works out. am particularly glad with the inclusion of Pat Utomi and Donald Duke. I like those two.
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by muffins(f): 12:08am On Oct 30, 2009
MrCrackles:

What is the point of joining forces to fight YaRaDUNCE
All you need is a shove in the chest and he's off to Saudi Arabia or Germany. . .
A big blow might send him into extinction! grin

MrCrackles, you won't kill me, you're so funny. grin grin
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by toshacer: 5:47am On Oct 30, 2009
These three should just shut up, what is new? What is the difference between this and what they did in the last election and previous?
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by pixiraver(m): 7:34am On Oct 30, 2009
They should give their new organization a new name, i propose Association of Looters in Nigeria. Bunch of thieves.
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by MrCrackles(m): 8:43am On Oct 30, 2009
~Bluetooth:

@mr crackles
u better be careful before they charge for treason & SEDITION,
Who will charge me
Are you?
I am waiting. . . . cool
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by biggozz(m): 6:21pm On Oct 30, 2009
I fink this thread should have been titled "The Civilian Coup Agenda"

Guys what do you fink? Seems to me like they are like "If the military will not topple this unproductive leadership, lets do it the civilian way"
Imagine who want to rescue Nigeria sad
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by SapeleGuy: 10:53am On Oct 31, 2009
tosh_acer:

These three should just shut up, what is new? What is the difference between this and what they did in the last election and previous?

I agree, buhari and atiku will not step down for anything or anybody. If this party is to work these three need to fade far into the background and start campaigning for Donald Duke.
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by Obinoscopy(m): 7:08pm On Oct 31, 2009
I wonder why Tinubu is mingling with corrupt politicians like Atiku and Buhari. He should desist for them. They are nothing but selfish entities who refused to step down for the other in the last elections. I thank God thank Yardua was finally selected after the election.
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by Abagworo(m): 6:26am On May 11, 2013
I resurrected this thread from the archive to disgrace those preaching ethnic hatred in Nigeria. Buhari and Yar'Adua were both Fulanis, Muslims and from the same State. It is clear that Yar'Adua was criticized as much as Jonathan by all and sundry and was also opposed without all these people singing ethnic jingles today. If Amaechi or Dickson oppose Jonathan, why then would someone call them a traitor? Was Buhari called a traitor for opposing Yar'Adua or Tinubu for opposing Obasanjo?
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by Akanbiedu(m): 6:52am On May 11, 2013
Welldone.

I think it has a lot to do with political maturity.
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by Gbawe: 6:53am On May 11, 2013
Abagworo: I resurrected this thread from the archive to disgrace those preaching ethnic hatred in Nigeria. Buhari and Yar'Adua were both Fulanis, Muslims and from the same State. It is clear that Yar'Adua was criticized as much as Jonathan by all and sundry and was also opposed without all these people singing ethnic jingles today. If Amaechi or Dickson oppose Jonathan, why then would someone call them a traitor? Was Buhari called a traitor for opposing Yar'Adua or Tinubu for opposing Obasanjo?

Thank you very much. We "hate" the SS because we criticise GEJ never mind archived Nairaland records showing we criticised Yar Adua and OBJ even far more. With all due respect to Nigerians, if I did not know beyond this forum, I would actually accept the postulation that puts the average Nigerian IQ at around 65 because of how people think and talk here. They are easily manipulated by the most crude form of divide-and-conquer I would be embarrassed seeing my 7 year old child fall for.

I personally spoke up here for GEJ to be made President during the dark days Turai et al held Nigeria to ransom. I attended the SNG protests in London to that end. I also attended a separate London protest against Obasanjo. I was at a London lecture Ribadu gave. Ultimately, it is about good governance for some of us and those who can deliver it - wherever they may be from.

Conversely, we will also criticise bad administrators wherever they are from. That said, can I ask what were the efforts of Dokoubo-Asari and his many loud mouth Nairaland followers back when GEJ was in 'bondage'? Today we are "enemies" and "parasites" merely for exposing that GEJ is simply another crude looter and gradualist with no visionary agenda for Nigeria. Man mi, callous Nigerian leaders appreciate how underdeveloped the minds of their people are. This is why they prefer dividing and conquering them as a way to hide their own incompetence while they loot massively and deliver poverty in return to all Nigerians including their own "brothers".

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by Rhino5dm: 7:12am On May 11, 2013
What a thread! Oh, look at Tinubu fighting his slave - masters? This Tinubu get mind oooo.

These poor nairaland paid toads will always want us to believe that the Yorubas and their slave - masters are ganging up against Jonathan, right? Shameless grasshoppers!
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by Ngwakwe: 7:50am On May 11, 2013
@Gbawe
If you want to know what political emancipation is, go to threads where Imo, Abia. Anambra, Enugu and Ebonyi States governance are discussed. Who are the active debaters? The Igbos from within and outside the States.

The South Easterners are not like you, who reserve your indifference to South West Governments while trying to convince Nairalanders of you unbiased critiquing of National politics.

Your epistles should endeavour to cover all regions without fear or favour for us to know that your intentions are for real and not ethnocentric.

When you appear neutral, your submissions will be taken for what they are without reading meanings into them.

The key to a successful political critiquing is fair and balance.
Re: Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua by Gbawe: 9:06am On May 11, 2013
Ngwakwe: @Gbawe
If you want to know what political emancipation is, go to threads where Imo, Abia. Anambra, Enugu and Ebonyi States governance are discussed. Who are the active debaters? The Igbos from within and outside the States.

The South Easterners are not like you, who reserve your indifference to South West Governments while trying to convince Nairalanders of you unbiased critiquing of National politics.

Your epistles should endeavour to cover all regions without fear or favour for us to know that your intentions are for real and not ethnocentric.

When you appear neutral, your submissions will be taken for what they are without reading meanings into them.

The key to a successful political critiquing is fair and balance.

Dude, what on earth are you talking about? All I see, with the part in bold, are the usual divisive and clannish obsession with touting yourselves ethnically better than others and always pontificating to be, by default, the 'aggrieved'.

Your ethnic group (surprise, surprise) is the embodiment of "emancipation" , in comparison to others, and you "South Easterners", never mind the ugly notion of touting every South Easterner as same, are "Not like us". Meaning you are all one and the same , i.e full of everything good, in comparison to others. What is the definition of bigotry again? I would be happy to be tagged a bigot if folks like you will also accept being the same, proven 100% by your own talk, instead of stalking others hollowly accusing them of what you are glaringly guilty of.

Here you have the effrontery to accuse others of being ethnocentric when your writing unashamedly shows a mind obsessed with ethnic superiority and pretence. Even with a post you wish to use to indict others of "ethnocentric" leanings, you have only succeeded to show you are hypocritically far more guilty of that than others. Pathetic. You show here you have no humility whatsoever and perceive yourself, always and in every situation, to be blameless and better than others. Others are always the problem. Never you . Frankly, I don't care what people like you think of me same as I stick a finger up at a caucasian racist who will never think good of black folks anyway.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

REFERENDUM - THE ONLY SOLUTION FOR NIGERIA! / Richmond Open University Is Not Illegal Uninversity Says By Court / That Dome On The National Assembly!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.