Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,997 members, 7,828,524 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? (4400 Views)

Fg Targets 2013 For Complete Modernisation Of Airports / Railway Modernisation. Lagos - Jebba - Kano By Rail. 10 Months Completion Date! / The Lagos –kano Rail Modernisation Project – Where To From Here….? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by AfroCynic: 3:11am On Oct 28, 2009
The plans for the modernisation of old railway lines seem to suggest that it'll take place primarily in the SW and the the North. I see no mention of any South Eastern or South Southern routes, is there a reason for this? May someone please shed some light on this?

Nigeria, China sign rail modernisation contract
From Nkechi Onyedika, Abuja

THE Federal Government has signed a $875 million contract with China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) for modernisation of 186 kilometres Phase 1, Segment 1 of rail lines transversing Abuja (Idu) to Kaduna.

advertisement

The project, which is to be completed within three years, has Messrs TEAM Nig. Ltd. as consultants and would be financed with a $500 million concessionary loan from the Chinese government.

Speaking at the ceremony yesterday in Abuja, the Minister of Transport, Alhaji Isa Bio, stated that due to the total neglect of the rail sector, the services deteriorated abysmally.

He noted that to revamp the sector, the immediate past administration adopted a holistic approach by commissioning a team of reputable international and local consultants to produce a 25-year development plan for the modernisation of the Nigerian Railways.

He stressed that former President Olusegun Obasanjo's administration embarked on the implementation of the plan by awarding a contract for the modernisation of the Nigerian Railways Project, Phase 1: Lagos-Kano to Messrs CCECC at a cost of $8.3 billion.

Bio, however, observed that due to the huge cost of the project and the absence of a funding plan, the present administration decided to review the project while President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua set up an Inter-Ministerial Committee to re-negotiate and re-scope the project.

This, according to him, culminated in the re-scoping of the project into five segments on "Stand-Alone Basis," with its separate project and the segments that include: Lagos - Ibadan; Ibadan - Ilorin; Ilorin - Minna; Abuja - Kaduna (Link Line); and Minna - Kano.

In his remarks, China's Ambassador to Nigeria, Xu Jianguo, described the railway modernisation project as an important vehicle for the actualisation of the Federal Government's Seven Point Agenda.

He assured that the Chinese government would ensure that it was of international standard and delivered on schedule.

Speaking on behalf of CCECC, Zhou Tianxian, said the project was very critical and would bring economic and social benefits to Nigeria.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/27/35.html
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Nobody: 3:19am On Oct 28, 2009
you should read carefully before starting a riot.

-The write up states they are starting phase 1 of the Lagos- Kano line.

-There is a 25 year development plan being proposed for the railway system.

lastly, Nigeria already has a railway system which has fallen into disuse and is mainly non-functioning. This is what they're trying to revamp, not that they're building a railway line from scratch and ignoring other parts of the country.

I hope you're aware Enugu is a coal mining state and as such also has a railway line if my memory serves me right.

The only place which may need a brand new rail service could be the south south Niger Delta.

all these things preceeded independence.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by AfroCynic: 3:24am On Oct 28, 2009
Tpia, I asked a question because I am truly curious, I really do believe that the biggest cross movement of people occurs in Southern Nigeria, so when I read the article, I was some what surprised that the South East (especially) seemed to have been left out. Thank you for mention that Enugu already has a rail line. Is it commercial? By that I mean do commuter us it daily or is it for the transportation of coal and other commodities?
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by bawomolo(m): 3:26am On Oct 28, 2009
Oh jeez, why are you guy obsessed with marginalization

is this a victimization complex or something undecided
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Nobody: 3:30am On Oct 28, 2009
The transport minister believes that a fully liberalised rail sector would encourage private entrepreneurs to invest in new railways, such as a ‘potentially lucrative’ Lagos - Benin - Calabar route. In the light of past performance, he would be doing well to get a concessionaire in place and the railway functioning properly before worrying too much about new lines.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/10/abuja-backs-concessioning-strategy.html

Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Nobody: 3:31am On Oct 28, 2009
AfroCynic:

Tpia, I asked a question because I am truly curious, I really do believe that the biggest cross movement of people occurs in Southern Nigeria, so when I read the article, I was some what surprised that the South East (especially) seemed to have been left out. Thank you for mention that Enugu already has a rail line. Is it commercial? By that I mean do commuter us it daily or is it for the transportation of coal and other commodities?

The Nigerian Railway Corporation has been down for the past few decades.

They're trying to revitalize it now but its not easy.

However, you may have noticed the occasional news reports of NRC pensioners being owed money.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by AfroCynic: 3:35am On Oct 28, 2009
tpia.:

The Nigerian Railway Corporation has been down for the past few decades.

They're trying to revitalize it now but its not easy.

However, you may have noticed the occasional news reports of NRC pensioners being owed money.

Yes, I have, my Grandpa worked for the NRC, I was just curious because a Lagos to any part of the SE would a huge money spinner, I dunno. I am always on guard about these things. We all slept and we got the abhorrent document that is '99 constitution. So I asked the question. Thank Tpia!

bawomolo:

Oh jeez, why are you guy obsessed with marginalization

is this a victimization complex or something undecided

Which guys do you speak of?
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Nobody: 3:37am On Oct 28, 2009
AfroCynic:

Yes, I have, my Grandpa worked for the NRC, I was just curious because a Lagos to any part of the SE would a huge money spinner, I dunno. I am always on guard about these things. We all slept and we got the abhorrent document that is '99 constitution. So I asked the question. Thank Tpia!

you're welcome.

The Enugu rail currently serves Port Harcourt occasionally, according to wiki.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by bawomolo(m): 3:46am On Oct 28, 2009
AfroCynic:

Which guys do you speak of?

well if the shoe fits. Don't make assumptions next time.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by AfroCynic: 3:47am On Oct 28, 2009
bawomolo:

well if the shoe fits. Don't make assumptions next time.

I am not tryna be obtuse but I do not understand what you are talking about!
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by udezue(m): 3:48am On Oct 28, 2009
Ya know they always gonna neglect the East coz they fear infrastructural development will give us more strength and upliftment.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Nobody: 4:11am On Oct 28, 2009
Maybe when you guys produce the president.,,by 2036 upward but south-south produce first cuz ibos aint got nothing to offer.,just provide with land to sell their spare parts.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by sjeezy8: 4:22am On Oct 28, 2009
I think the south south def PH is a good investment, but the SE? undecided If there is anything in the SE why are people leaving it to go to the SS and West? The whole country thinks theres nothing there, until you guys can prove the WHOLE country wrong, i see no reason in why a PRIVATE investor would want to build railway in that region.

Its not a thing of marginalization if most elite SEs dont invest in their home region, you cant expect a FOREIGNER to invest in its development. duh
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by AfroCynic: 4:40am On Oct 28, 2009
sjeezy8:

I think the south south def PH is a good investment, but the SE? undecided If there is anything in the SE why are people leaving it to go to the SS and West? The whole country thinks theres nothing there, until you guys can prove the WHOLE country wrong, i see no reason in why a PRIVATE investor would want to build railway in that region.

Its not a thing of marginalization if most elite SEs dont invest in their home region, you cant expect a FOREIGNER to invest in its development. duh

I think that you're being a bit of a bigot here, I must say. The South East is full of business minded folk who are willing to work to make a mint. Thousands if not hundreds of thousands, leave their homes every year to go to other parts of the country. It'll make travel to and fro easier, it'll encourage more people to invest in their home states and it'll allow for the easy transportation of goods. It'll be a wonderful investment also for individuals who have the foresight to put their money down.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by sjeezy8: 4:52am On Oct 28, 2009
I didnt say their isn't business minded people in the SE, I said the whole country/ investors/Govt may think otherwise. Theres no bigotry in it, if you think its a good investment then great.

as tpia said you should read carefully
This is just phase one of the project so no one knows what is in store for the next 25 years
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Nobody: 5:39am On Oct 28, 2009
i guess Nigerians need to whine about marginalisation and play the ethnic card - otherwise they'd be forced to admit the truth - that they are failures tongue

so much easier to continue to blame others for lack of progress instead of looking within
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by chic2pimp(m): 5:56am On Oct 28, 2009
oyb:

i guess Nigerians need to whine about marginalisation and play the ethnic card - otherwise they'd be forced to admit the truth - that they are failures tongue

so much easier to continue to blame others for lack of progress instead of looking within
Chei see as how I fall of chair dey life grin grin grin.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by AfroCynic: 11:13am On Oct 28, 2009
The funny thing is how people assume that to be concerned about an area being marginalised, you must be from the relevant ethnic group. I am not Igbo or Ijaw or whatever. I am just concerned about Nigeria and its development,
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Abagworo(m): 11:47am On Oct 28, 2009
sjeezy8:

i try my best to be fair and just but you seem to be an un-enlightened man.you seem not to have ever left your village or at most you have only been to lagos.all the cities in the south east are more mordern than their south-west counter parts and also have taller buildings.don't mention lagos because it's indigenes are bini and it was also a federal capital.

nb:majority of PH indigenes are of igbo descent.north/yoruba divide and rule notwithstanding.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Abagworo(m): 11:56am On Oct 28, 2009
back to topic.constructing a rail line from PH to Calabar via Aba is important for the economy of this region.this triangle has long existed but is being killed by the nigerian government.most people in Ph and calabar travel to aba to buy goods.many people in PH and aba travel to calabar for good time while PH is the richest and has the most population among the three.why is PH and calabar ports being marginalised?calabar is the most affected amongst the three and has no good link road.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Ibime(m): 12:15pm On Oct 28, 2009
PH already has a rail line but is in disrepair.

Abagworo is correct. The greatest movement of people occurs in the Eastern Region.

Any investment in rail infrastructure will surely post much quicker returns if we capitalise on the traditional movement of people from the East to West and backwards. Any line from East to West will pass through Lagos, Enugu, Onitsha, Aba and PH. Without blinking, anyone can tell you that these are the most traversed lines of traffic in the country. The current state of the Niger Bridge is another factor for taking the load off the road network.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by ezeagu(m): 12:17pm On Oct 28, 2009
Do you think Biafra was created out of boredom. . . . . . . undecided
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by ezeagu(m): 12:19pm On Oct 28, 2009
sjeezy8:

Could you please tell me what is in the SW apart from Lagos?
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Beaf: 12:31pm On Oct 28, 2009
sjeezy8:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Speak only for fools and idiots like yourself.

I wouldn't even expect a chimpanzee to come up with such foolish words. Jesus! Do you even sit back and think sometimes? I wonder if you have ever travelled outside Yoruba land or worse, if you have ever visited Nigeria. Maybe you just talk bullshit because your head is in the clouds over there in the states.
What towns can be more industralised per capita than Aba or Nnewi? Or you think as fu.cked up as Ibadan (apologies to anyone from there) is, it is more of a good investment for the "WHOLE country". Boy, you are daft, bigotted and irritating.
You don't have to contribute to topics you know absolutely nothing about, it makes you out as absolutely stupid.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by sjeezy8: 1:05pm On Oct 28, 2009
agbarowo guy and the rest

You seem to not have left your cave cause no where in my post do you see any specific tribe stated. Please tell me how i have not left my village when Lagos is my state of origin my  reasoning in stating PH had nothing to do with any tribe, thats why i stated region. So next time if you feel offended by my comments please try and refute them with something else other then yoruba this n that bullshit.  Its ridiculous to jump to certain assertions and trying start a tribal battle over whos land is more developed, im not here to do that so please lets stick to the topic.
In terms of which places are a good investment for railroads one would automatically think of regions next to Lagos and regions that have the most Unis, hospitals, Tourist attractions maybe the ZOO,water parks etc and places that are closests to Lagos state which just happen to be Edo and the rest of the South.

Lagos state is the capital so it being a yoruba or bini state has nothing to with investments and construting railways. undecided lets stick to the topic. and leave tribes out its getting ridiculous.

The best investments would be from Lagos through Benin and to Calabar, but the north  rest of the south west most like wont approve of it if they're not included, thats what you call being realistic and not a dreamer. Work with what you have

Democracy isn't fair its made by majority decisions and the SE just happens not to be the majority, nor part of it. Dont fret sjeezy wants to create good investments in the SE/SS in the near future(when the tides turn), good business knows no tribe, religion, race, or sex.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Oct 28, 2009
Abagworo:

i try my best to be fair and just but you seem to be an un-enlightened man.you seem not to have ever left your village or at most you have only been to lagos.all the cities in the south east are more mordern than their south-west counter parts and also have taller buildings.don't mention lagos because it's indigenes are bini and it was also a federal capital.

nb:majority of PH indigenes are of igbo descent.north/yoruba divide and rule notwithstanding.

I dont know why you love fooling yourself all the time.

Lagos is Bini

Ph is Igbo

this is this

that is that

what part of Igboland in the east didnt belong to Igbos originally? Tell me.

because you seem to make a habit of confusing yourself by saying every other tribe's land doesnt belong to them while making an exception for Igboland.

Is the east the only part of Nigeria or the whole world whose land belongs to them, in your opinion?
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 28, 2009
@ topic

Its highly doubtful that the volume of travel between east and west is more significant than the one between north and south.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by igbosmoka1: 2:14pm On Oct 28, 2009
sjeezy8:

agbarowo guy and the rest

You seem to not have left your cave cause no where in my post do you see any specific tribe stated. Please tell me how i have not left my village when Lagos is my state of origin my  reasoning in stating PH had nothing to do with any tribe, thats why i stated region. So next time if you feel offended by my comments please try and refute them with something else other then yoruba this n that bullshit.  Its ridiculous to jump to certain assertions and trying start a tribal battle over whos land is more developed, im not here to do that so please lets stick to the topic.
In terms of which places are a good investment for railroads one would automatically think of regions next to Lagos and regions that have the most Unis, hospitals, Tourist attractions maybe the ZOO,water parks etc and places that are closests to Lagos state which just happen to be Edo and the rest of the South.

Lagos state is the capital so it being a yoruba or bini state has nothing to with investments and construting railways. undecided lets stick to the topic. and leave tribes out its getting ridiculous.

The best investments would be from Lagos through Benin and to Calabar, but the north  rest of the south west most like wont approve of it if they're not included, thats what you call being realistic and not a dreamer. Work with what you have

Democracy isn't fair its made by[b] majority decisions and the SE just happens not to be the majority[/b], nor part of it. Dont fret sjeezy wants to create good investments in the SE/SS in the near future(when the tides turn), good business knows no tribe, religion, race, or sex.  

@bolded.you are ignorant to assume only your area to be majority and that democracy encourages marginalisation of minority.with thoughts like this,nigeria is gradually pointing towards defragmentation.sorry for you.remember the budget is being funded with money generated from minority.infact if that was a typo error do us good by withdrawing that comment.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by sjeezy8: 2:25pm On Oct 28, 2009
igbo-smoka:

@bolded.you are ignorant to assume only your area to be majority and that democracy encourages marginalisation of minority.with thoughts like this,nigeria is gradually pointing towards defragmentation.sorry for you.remember the budget is being funded with money generated from minority.infact if that was a typo error do us good by withdrawing that comment.

hows that ignorant?

Democracy- 1 a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority

There is no such thing as a Democratic government where  people dont feel marginalized in one way or another. If we had free and fair elections in Nigeria how far would everyone get outside of Governing their own states, people vote based on what benefits them directly, not on whats right or wrong.  Democracy encourages personal benefit and majority rule, the end product will always be marginalization.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Abagworo(m): 2:38pm On Oct 28, 2009
igbo-smoka:

thanks bros.

tpia.:

I dont know why you love fooling yourself all the time.

Lagos is Bini

Ph is Igbo

this is this

that is that

what part of Igboland in the east didnt belong to Igbos originally? Tell me.

because you seem to make a habit of confusing yourself by saying every other tribe's land doesnt belong to them while making an exception for Igboland.

Is the east the only part of Nigeria or the whole world whose land belongs to them, in your opinion?

please i never said port harcourt belongs to igbo ok.the indigenes are ikwerre igbos while that of lagos are binis.some ikwerres dont accept being igbo.
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Ibime(m): 2:42pm On Oct 28, 2009
tpia.:

@ topic

Its highly doubtful that the volume of travel between east and west is more significant than the one between north and south.

Then why do they say that Igbos are flooding everywhere?. . . . its quite obvious that Easterners travel within Nigeria significantly more than Northerners. . . . infact, that is undebatable. . . . the volume of traffic between PH and Aba alone is more than the volume of traffic between North and South  grin
Re: Why Does The Rail Modernisation Project Exclude The South-East And The South-South? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 28, 2009
Abagworo:

please i never said port harcourt belongs to igbo ok.the indigenes are ikwerre igbos while that of lagos are binis.some ikwerres dont accept being igbo.

well, you are wrong.

Some Binis migrated to lagos[b] just like other tribes[/b], back in those days.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nobody Will Leave PDP For Opposition - Tukur / A South South Man Will NEVER Rule Nigeria Again! / No Referendum, No 2019 Election – Nnamdi Kanu Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.