Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,600 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) (51917 Views)

Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor / Is Ugu Farming This Useless? / Dry Season Ugu Farming With Pictures.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by barnabas47: 7:29pm On Nov 15, 2016
Ejulafarm:
SWOT Analysis

Threats

Everything around us is threatened including the air we breathe in. So goes for Ugu farming. Proper understanding of these threats and ways to curb them will go a long way to make the ugu farmer profitable.

I will state some of the threats but in generic form.

Diseases: Most of the diseases that affect ugu leaves are airborne. Fungi growth on leaves is also a big threat to ugu farming considering that it is majorly farmed for its leaves.

Insects: Yes, insects are attracted to good looking broad , greenish ugu leaves grin . Is not only we humans that know good thing. A simple solution to this is spraying a mixture of neem oil mixed with water. This has proved to be highly effective.

Animals: The fulanis and their cows comes to mind. Anyway, lets hope for the best as far this threat is concerned. Because doing the dry season, there will be drier and fewer vegetation and which fulani won't want a good greenish ugu leaves to feed his cows. Part of the solution is to create a form of barrier around your farm. Though costly, with little time frame, one will recoup his/her investment. The barriers can be a fence block or welded Iron bars.

Lack of irrigation: Anything can happen but it is better to be prepared especially doing the dry season farming. Make sure your pumping machine and source of water is intact. You never can tell.

Market: How accessible are you to the market place? Please give this a very serious thought before delving into this enterprise. If your farm is far from a settlement, do you have a form of transportation aid (bike, motor) to convey your produce to the market?

Poor Understanding: The good book i.e. the bible, states that my people perish for lack of understanding. Understanding is synonyms to acquiring knowledge. Have you done your homework to better understand the rudiments of ugu farming? This will go a long way, I tell you.

I hope this will help you better understand the threats associated with this farming. The list is not in anyway exhaustive, but as I come across any addition, I will add it up.

Be Inspired

Ejula Farm
i try to watch d video but is just skipping,my question is how do u position the seed in soil
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 8:16pm On Nov 15, 2016
To plant ugu seed.

Let the pointed side be neither up or down but rather by the side. Please do check the video. I cross checked and it is fine from my end.

Ejula Farm.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 4:25am On Nov 17, 2016
Out of the Box Thinking

Preserving Ugu Leaves:

This area is yet to be really understudied considering our lack of interest. An harvested Ugu can still retain its freshness if stored in the fridge. But for how long, I am yet to ascertain.

Is there an opportunity for this area to yield great return no matter the invested capital? Considering building a cold room gulp up huge cost.

Or is there a more cost effective way in achieving this?

The preservation of Ugu leaves is a huge bearing branch in the value tree of Ugu farming and this can be felt by everyone doing the dry season pricing.

This idea can help one out there if you have the time and tenacity to study it.

I will update of my progress soon by God's grace.

Good morning

Ejula Farm

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by youngzoologist: 10:01am On Nov 17, 2016
Ejulafarm:
Out of the Box Thinking

Preserving Ugu Leaves:

This area is yet to be really understudied considering our lack of interest. An harvested Ugu can still retain its freshness if stored in the fridge. But for how long, I am yet to ascertain.

Is there an opportunity for this area to yield great return no matter the invested capital? Considering building a cold room gulp up huge cost.

Or is there a more cost effective way in achieving this?
Hello ejula...please kindly leave me your whatsapp contact.....Thanks...

The preservation of Ugu leaves is a huge bearing branch in the value tree of Ugu farming and this can be felt by everyone doing the dry season pricing.

This idea can help one out there if you have the time and tenacity to study it.

I will update of my progress soon by God's grace.

Good morning

Ejula Farm
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Pavore9: 11:03am On Nov 17, 2016
Following.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 11:19am On Nov 17, 2016
@youngzoologist,

Can you send your number to either

info@ejulafarm.com or ejulafarm@hotmail.com

*Privacy issue.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 11:20am On Nov 17, 2016
Pavore9:
Following.

Really encouraged to see you are following Sir.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 11:33am On Nov 17, 2016
SWOT Analysis

Export Potential

I have done some research to an extent as regard the potential involved in exporting Ugu leaves.

From my findings, the EU and the states, have other uses for our Ugu leaves. And on the top of the list is the production of blood tonic. You should understand that this discovery is just recently being harnessed by EU and the states as it pertains to sourcing Ugu from Nigeria.

So what better time to climb on board.

The good news is that not much is required from my reliable findings.

One can take it too far when one considers getting the following but it is beneficial at the long run

-NEPC Export licence

- NAQS Certification.

Both are easy to acquire especially NEPC.

But one can skip all this by employing the service of a reliable courier to bridge the gap.

You may ask why I have not venture into it...

The answer lies in the fact that all things are ready except farming on a commercial scale. Which company wants to concern it self with just 2 plots of Ugu vegetables.

Question like, can I deliver a particular ton at a particular time comes to mind.

From my research, the tasking thing to be done is

Commercialize Ugu farming.

And that's why this thread was created. I really want it to help someone out there in all honesty that's why I am not holding back.

I would have love to give more info on export but it makes no sense if I have not tested the waters first so has to explain based on experience and not theory.

But soon, you all will be privileged to the information.

Be Inspired.

Ejula Farm

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Pavore9: 11:53am On Nov 17, 2016
Ejulafarm:

Really encouraged to see you are following Sir.

Post harvest preservation that retains its refreshness for up to a week without the use of electricity will be a game changer for farmers. There are solutions out there.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 3:12pm On Nov 17, 2016
Pavore9:

Post harvest preservation that retains its refreshness for up to a week without the use of electricity will be a game changer for farmers. There are solutions out there.

I concur and hopefully I will come across it.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Hugoboy: 7:50pm On Nov 17, 2016
Ejulafarm:
SWOT Analysis

Export Potential

I have done some research to an extent as regard the potential involved in exporting Ugu leaves.

From my findings, the EU and the states, have other uses for our Ugu leaves. And on the top of the list is the production of blood tonic. You should understand that this discovery is just recently being harnessed by EU and the states as it pertains to sourcing Ugu from Nigeria.

One can take it too far when one considers getting the following but it is beneficial at the long run

-NEPC Export licence

- NAQS Certification.

But one can skip all this by employing the service of a reliable courier to bridge the gap.

The answer lies in the fact that all things are ready except farming on a commercial scale. Which company wants to concern it self with just 2 plots of Ugu vegetables.

Question like, can I deliver a particular ton at a particular time comes to mind.

And that's why this thread was created. I really want it to help someone out there in all honesty that's why I am not holding back.

I would have love to give more info on export but it makes no sense if I have not tested the waters first so has to explain based on experience and not theory.

Be Inspired.

Ejula Farm
Good job, sir. Thumb up.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by olaide68(m): 4:07am On Nov 19, 2016
Ejulafarm:
SWOT Analysis

Export Potential

-NEPC Export licence

- NAQS Certification.

Be Inspired.

Ejula Farm
We can mobilise Ugwu farmers to produce more for the purpose of export.This agric section has been of help to us,many groups of farmers have been formed.We will get there,God grace
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 4:33am On Nov 19, 2016
olaide68:
We can mobilise Ugwu farmers to produce more for the purpose of export.This agric section has been of help to us,many groups of farmers have been formed.We will get there,God grace

So true, a journey of a mile begins with a step. We shall get there and I see the energy here from the questions and recommendation.

Best regards

Ejula Farm
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by youngzoologist: 6:25am On Nov 19, 2016
olaide68:
@ejula...well done brother....I'm yet to have your whatsapp contact...
I'm using an hectare of land for ugu farming in Lagos as a group project which is also in phase...the entire land area is 3.5hect...but this is our first time and we decided to phase it to see the result....we can guarantee regular supply should we get this right...
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Arvinkris(m): 7:48am On Nov 19, 2016
olaide68:
if the export market for ugu is ready mobilise us for large farming for it
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by fison(m): 5:56pm On Nov 19, 2016
[quote author=Ejulafarm post=51109712]SWOT Analysis

Export Potential

-NEPC Export licence

- NAQS Certification.

Be Inspired.

Ejula Farm

Weldon brother, I have 10 hectares of land presently. please can I contacted you in person? Here is my digit 08086211058
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 6:40pm On Nov 19, 2016
@fison, I am glad you are motivated. But despite the promising nature of this business (Ugu farming), the required input is demanding for a middle earner.

Cost of setting up a profitable Ugu vegetation with a probable ROI of 150-190%(this is higher doing dry season) is roughly about 250k. This does not include security (fencing - to discourage intrusion).

So you see, for 10 Hectares (definitely a mechanized approach will be adopted), you need about 6.25m (Just startup). Please remember investment needs to be protected (So fencing is no option) and even I am researching on agric insurance (Another cost on its own if it exist). Yet to ascertain how far as a country we have gone in this area.

But remember IT IS SO POSSIBLE. I'm just been so real to you.

Send me an email. (see signature)

Be Inspired.

EJULA FARM.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by fison(m): 6:51pm On Nov 19, 2016
[quote author=Ejulafarm post=51179824]@fison, I am glad you are motivated. But despite the promising nature of this business (Ugu farming), the required input is demanding for a middle earner.

Cost of setting up a profitable Ugu vegetation with a probable ROI of 150-190%(this is higher doing dry season) is roughly about 250k. This does not include security (fencing - to discourage intrusion).

So you see, for 10 Hectares (definitely a mechanized approach will be adopted), you need about 6.25m (Just startup). Please remember investment needs to be protected (So fencing is no option) and even I am researching on agric insurance (Another cost on its own if it exist). Yet to ascertain how far as a country we have gone in this area.

Be Inspired.

EJULA FARM.

Noted, much thanks. ]
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by OGAOGA(m): 9:37pm On Nov 19, 2016
Following ooo
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Kalusam(m): 5:42pm On Nov 21, 2016
Following keenly, will add my own experiences and advice with time.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 6:18pm On Nov 21, 2016
Kalusam:
Following keenly, will add my own experiences and advice with time.

I am glad Oga Kalusam saw this post. So credit is definitely due to him. Kalusam, I intentional want you to see this thread before I send you a message on whatsapp.

I want the house to know I learnt everything on Ugu farming from kalusam despite it was just 4 hours on that fateful day in Epe.

His thread should explain better. https://www.nairaland.com/2869280/make-200000-naira-more-monthly

Thank you.

Ejula Farm.

2 Likes

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 6:50pm On Nov 21, 2016
Weeding

Phase A was due for weeding today. Factoring the 3 weeks interval into the equation.

We should know it did not rain through out except for just one little shower about 4 days back.

The mode of watering the plant was very strenuous considering the resources needed to get our irrigation is yet to come through. But we have to do what we have to do.

So lesson learnt: Try to have irrigation on ground considering pale and bucket is very very strenuous.

So the Pictures you see below is Ugu leaves for Phase A at 3 weeks.

Note: There is no application of fertilizers yet. But it is due.

Ok. That should be it. Hope you had a great day.

Ejula Farm

3 Likes

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by olaide68(m): 7:19pm On Nov 21, 2016
youngzoologist:

@ejula...well done brother....I'm yet to have your whatsapp contact...
I'm using an hectare of land for ugu farming in Lagos as a group project which is also in phase...the entire land area is 3.5hect...but this is our first time and we decided to phase it to see the result....we can guarantee regular supply should we get this right...
God grace,you shall get it right.I am using Blackberry and watshap has been blocked on it,I will send the number immediatly I get an Android phone.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by stagger: 10:47pm On Nov 21, 2016
This is a good thread. But the big question for which we need a genuine answer is this:

How does someone invest into a really commercial-scale ugu farm (about 10 hectares or more) without going bankrupt trying to fence such land against these herdsmen, seeing we have a government that is unconcerned about checking this menace? We are now in the dry season and these people will definitely be more desperate to look for what their cows will eat.

If they can graze at will without being confronted right inside our national stadium in Abuja, then they can get into any ugu farm that is not fenced.

Someone please tell me this is not a genuine concern.

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by udejiga17(m): 12:13am On Nov 22, 2016
Will start my Ugu farm soon..but really concerned about the right fertilizer or insecticide to curb insects attack
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by olaide68(m): 11:26am On Nov 22, 2016
stagger:
This is a good thread. But the big question for which we need a genuine answer is this:

How does someone invest into a really commercial-scale ugu farm (about 10 hectares or more) without going bankrupt trying to fence such land against these herdsmen, seeing we have a government that is unconcerned about checking this menace? We are now in the dry season and these people will definitely be more desperate to look for what their cows will eat.

If they can graze at will without being confronted right inside our national stadium in Abuja, then they can get into any ugu farm that is not fenced.

Honestly the issue of Fulani and their cows is a national problem,I used bamboo to fence my little garden.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by olaide68(m): 11:31am On Nov 22, 2016
udejiga17:
Will start my Ugu farm soon..but really concerned about the right fertilizer or insecticide to curb insects attack
Right fertilizer,dried poultry waste.Insecticide,sharp shotter,scopion,maxiforce etc
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 12:14pm On Nov 22, 2016
I concur on poultry waste. Nothing compared to organic.

On herbicide usage, I will still stick to organic (Neem Oil).

Ejula Farm

2 Likes

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 6:55pm On Nov 22, 2016
stagger:

Sure it is a genuine concern. Any recommendation I make here will be so costly and still a repetition and the guarantee may not be grounded.

Because fulani herdmen issue is actually a national one. I hope we will go round it in the nearest future.

Ejula Farm.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by deedii: 10:15am On Nov 24, 2016
Hello sir, a wonderful job you are doing here, Please which pesticide do you advice for Ugu leaves?
Ejulafarm:
@fison, I am glad you are motivated. But despite the promising nature of this business (Ugu farming), the required input is demanding for a middle earner.

Be Inspired.

EJULA FARM.

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Midekun(m): 10:34pm On Nov 24, 2016
[quote author=olaide68 post=50901935][color=#000000][/color][/quotue]
Well done. When is the best time for planting ugwu. I also want to start ugwu farming but have no knowledge.
Re: Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) by Ejulafarm: 11:14am On Nov 25, 2016
deedii:
Hello sir, a wonderful job you are doing here, Please which pesticide do you advice for Ugu leaves?

I settle with organic i.e. Neem Oil.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Woman Shows Off The Big Cassava She Harvested (Photos) / Some Popular Species Of Chickens We Eat In Nigeria [PHOTOS] / The 2nd Most Prolific Animals!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.