Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,623 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:06 PM

Africa is a Continent, Not a Country - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Africa is a Continent, Not a Country (10221 Views)

Name A Country Without The Letter 'a' In The Name / Africa's Best (2014) - Top 10 Private Universities On The Continent / Who Gave Our Continent The Name, Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by lauryn(f): 1:18pm On Dec 01, 2005
Why is it that most enslaved africans and some Caucasians believe that Africa is a country and not a continent.

It's funny how they tell me I'm from Africa, but they don't even understand what the heck they r saying, like some Caucasian dude was wondering why my country(supposedly) "Africa", doesn't have a capital. they think Nigeria, Ghana, Somalia, Kenya, sierra-leone, etc are little states in Africa.

The weirdest part of it is when I try to explain that Africa is not a country, these people have the nerves to argue with me.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:18pm On Dec 01, 2005
The problem to me lies therein in politics...
look at the way america will draw their globe...

Did you people know that nigeria alone is more than twice the size of california...
But if you look at a map they will grotesquelly make United States so damn large...

At times they will evn draw a map, and have US bigger than Canada which is quite absured...
Africa as a continent is much lager then the united states but they will draw it how they feel ft...

When it come to world affairs the average american is so damn ignorant
And its not just americans...
Ask a jamaican where he is from he will say jamaica...Ask him where his roots lie...He will still say Jamaica...
Remember whhat peter tosh said, africa na his motherland

History needs to be re-written, but the europeans try o
They know that africa is a continent because they are well educated in these areas...
They also happen to be sorrounded by all the continents...cool eh...Be like they dey for middle ground....
But Ya i can't wait one day when nationlism detoriates and countries become more like Canada. Multiculutral, Peace loving, resourceful nations Yessooo cool cool cool cool cool Non of that melting pot crap.because to me your culture defines in many ways who you're
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by IAH(f): 12:18am On Dec 02, 2005
I've never met anybody who thinks Africa is a country o. Well, when they ask me where I'm from I don't even say Africa in the first place, I say Nigeria and they are like "Nigerians are smart people" (You know what they mean, hehe)
I think you should tell them you are from Nigeria, be precise...and proud.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by Seun(m): 12:21am On Dec 02, 2005
Precise, proud, and polite. Don't alienate foreigners just because they are confused about Africa. They can all be assets in the future.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by lauryn(f): 12:27am On Dec 02, 2005
i think u guys are either getting me wrong or i am not being clear, i do tell them i'm nigerian, and most of the time they do not even know where it is, that is when i explain that it is  a country in Africa
Trust me, aint nobody proud to be nigerian like I am
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by tiestat(f): 4:34am On Dec 02, 2005
Hey, Lauryn I feel you on this one oo. Guess what my teacher in one of my PR classes said yesterday??

" Africa, India and other third world countries..."""

You should have seen the look of shock and amazement on my face. All the fellow Africans in the room were pisssseddd.  I did not want to correct the man because people would have looked at me as in, is she serious Lol. But it gets to me.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by nferyn(m): 10:17am On Dec 02, 2005
Is this a US thing? I haven't seen that level of ingorance here in Europe (plenty of ignorance sure, but nothing so braindead)
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by anton(m): 11:30am On Dec 07, 2005
Don't you know the education of Black People in America has declined since integration? I mean, really, why would american schools teach Yoruba, Wolof, and Twi. Why would american schools expend funds to teach american children about Songhay or Dahomey. Why would they want to accentuate the reason why Africans have been in amerikkka and how they got there. Stop blaming the people and look at the apparatus, the system so to speak.

What do we see of Africa. Coup. Epidemic. Famine. Genocide. Coup. Corruption. Coup... Aids. Debt. Coup, Did I mention Coup? What about Famine? What do you see of Black America? Shootout. Gangbanger. Traffiking. mtv. bet. Ebony. Oprah. Shootout. Bet. Bet. Bet. (I just know you guys watch BET)(heck, you too nferyn) tongue NBA NFL hiphop Fried chicken, gangbangers lawdy lawdy don't forget the church on every corner in every community as the youth are hauled away to fuel the prison industrial complex. Maybe we don't have time to figure what africa is because you don't have time to figure who we are.

It's really critical that some of you guys are over here and you have no clue to what's really going on. Furthermore, alot of you guys from the Continent openly and vocally seperate us from the Continent as if our Ancestors came from the moon and not Africa. Therefore, if we have nothing to connect ourselves to (and most don't) but a lifetime of underpaid labor here, what does it really matter to us as to whether Africa is a nation, state, continent, or international cash cow for everybody but <b>Africans</p>. I, mean, really.

Africans from the Continent don't seem to like Africans who are descended from the Africans who were taken as Slaves/prisoners from Africa and Africans who are descended from the Africans who were taken as Slaves/prisoners from Africa don't seem to like Africans who are from the Continent.

Furthermore, Africans from Central Africa don't seem to like Africans from West Africa and Africans from West Africa don't seem the like Africans from Central Africa.

Africans from East Africa don't seem to like any Africans with "Negroid" features and Africans with "Negroid" features don't seem to like East Africans.

Africans in America who are descended from Africans who were taken as Slaves/prisoners from Africa don't seem to like Africans in Jamaica who are descended from the Africans who were taken as Slaves/prisoners from Africa were as Africans in Jamaica who are descended from Africans who were taken as Slaves/prisoners from Africa don't seem to like Africans in America who are descended from the Africans who were taken as Slaves/prisoners from Africa. Now that is just stupid.

Does anybody see a pattern here... I don't think we get it. I don't think we get it at all. *sigh*

Seun:

Precise, proud, and polite. Don't alienate foreigners just because they are confused about Africa. They can all be assets in the future.
... You know, I sat and looked at that qoute for a long time just listening and meditating on it. One question: Do you plan to dispel the confusion before, after, or does it matter?

nferyn:

Is this a US thing? I haven't seen that level of ingorance here in Europe (plenty of ignorance sure, but nothing so braindead)
...*sigh*
What can I say, Made in America? Born in the USA? The People are a product of the policy. We all know who makes the policy here, and they don't have dark skin and wide noses.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by da808cutie(f): 9:33pm On Dec 07, 2005
Anton, don't take it personal if the "Africa is a country" thing doesn't refer to you. you have to understand that when you're from the continent and the most image of you and your people is predominantly negative and stone-age, which isn't actually what it is, its only natural to feel misrepresented.
personally, i haven't experienced this basically because the Europeans and British are more enlightened about Africa and its people. but i have heard of many incidents where African's are asked stupid questions in America like "have you ever killed a lion with your bare hand", "are cars in Africa made of mud?"..im sure you get my drift.
Yes Africans from different parts of Africa are different, isn't that enough for 'them' to realise its not a single country.

And based on what I've seen in movies (if its anything to rely on), what is taught in american schools emphasises on the past on how Africans were slaves and pays no attention to the positive struggles Africans face today trying to break the "third-world chains" placed around their necks.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by nferyn(m): 11:01pm On Dec 07, 2005
Actually, most history (especially national history) here in Europe is very much propaganda (the victor gets to write history), although that is slowly starting to change. If you do not have a specific interest in history (and especially African history), you won't learn very much of the underlying social struggles peoples around the world had to face. Faces, names, dates and battles, lots of battles, that's what you get undecided
Even internal history of the different European peoples is conveniently forgotten under the normalising blanket of the nation-state. Diversity was lost and everything got streamlined under the different national banners.

Anyway, because of the colonisation of Africa by European nations, the general level of understanding of African affairs may very well be a little higher (although that doesn't mean that it goes very much beyond the fact that Africa is not a country). The ignorance about what the colonisation actually meant is still very high. This is a chapter in their history book most European nations would rather forget, or at least minimise.

On the other hand, the awareness of the nature of their past oppression by European nations among many Africans (even the educated) is not always there either. When I see a documentary on Congo and some people there are asking the Belgians to come back, I get shivers down my spine.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by tiestat(f): 5:34am On Dec 08, 2005
I see your point Anton however; many Africans are not like that. I personally have many friends from different African countries. That’s beside the point. I am not hating on anyone; I am a lover not a fighter, however, the whole scenario that you painted still does not give anyone an excuse to portray Africa as a country.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by Oracle(m): 4:37am On Dec 10, 2005
AFRICA THE GREAT CONTINENT
WHO WAN CALL THIS BIG THING COUNTRY

Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by nferyn(m): 9:27am On Dec 10, 2005
anton:

[SNIP]
Bet. (I just know you guys watch BET)(heck, you too nferyn) tongue
Actually Anton, I don't. We don't have BET over here in Belgium (and nowhere in Europe, as far as I know). The cultural imperialism of the good old US of A does not reach that far (yet) grin
The fact that you think I do could be an indication of how American your point of view is (even though you'd probably hate to admit it)
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by anton(m): 9:34am On Dec 11, 2005
tiestat:

I see your point Anton however; many Africans are not like that. I personally have many friends from different African countries. That’s beside the point. I am not hating on anyone; I am a lover not a fighter, however, the whole scenario that you painted still does not give anyone an excuse to portray Africa as a country.

I hear you, Queen. I just think the operative word here is "understanding". You really can't expect anyone to understand you if you aren't willing to do the same for them. Period. Futhermore, everyday black folk are not the entities plastering images of famine and war along with suggestions that African countries are not sovereign, African Countries are indistinguishable from each other, etc, etc, over the global airwaves. As I elluded in my first post, you have to go above our heads to find entities with that power and purpose. So, I hear you and agree.

Anyway, pop "CEMOTAP" and "YAAAMS" into google and you might find something interesting.

nferyn:

Actually Anton, I don't. We don't have BET over here in Belgium (and nowhere in Europe, as far as I know). The cultural imperialism of the good old US of A does not reach that far (yet) grin
The fact that you think I do could be an indication of how American your point of view is (even though you'd probably hate to admit it)

What do you expect from an "American"? kiss
I was being facetious. I think everybody would have gotten the point if I put the yucky face *inside* the parenthesis. Still, i don't have a problem being born here. It's tough and many don't make it but it's diffenently a strategic asset that will pay off for me and mine. Still, i look forward to the day i speak Yoruba, Twi, Zulu, and Wolof better than I speak english, japanse, french, and spanish. Still, I doubt very much that my point of view is as "American" as you hope it to be...

As a side note, I'll never forget the day i got lunch at an ethiopian restaurant and as i paid my bill at the bar the young Amharic waitress had bet on. Apparently, she didn't notice (or recognize) the look on my face as I glanced at it and she asked expectlyly, excitedly: "You watch BET?"... She still thinks i'm crazy. I tell yah, being Pro-Africa is like going through pruberty all over again... wink
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by nferyn(m): 10:27am On Dec 11, 2005
anton:

What do you expect from an "American"? kiss
I was being facetious. I think everybody would have gotten the point if I put the yucky face *inside* the parenthesis. Still, i don't have a problem being born here. It's tough and many don't make it but it's diffenently a strategic asset that will pay off for me and mine. Still, i look forward to the day i speak Yoruba, Twi, Zulu, and Wolof better than I speak english, japanse, french, and spanish. Still, I doubt very much that my point of view is as "American" as you hope it to be...
I was just teasing. wink Everyone is, after all, a product of their upbringing and environment. The way you talk about 'Europeans' as in the guy in the appartment next to yours is as 'American' a point of view as you can find them.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by ldollier(f): 4:07pm On Jan 06, 2006
lauryn, i feel you on this topic. most of the people here( united states) esp the black americans, they think that afrika is a country. and no matter how much one try to correct them, they still stick with their beliefs.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by dblock(m): 8:23am On Jan 22, 2006
One time I was talking to this guy back here in New Guinea and then he said our independence day is coming up, when's Africa's independence day. And then I said Africa doesn't have a independence day. and the guy was like sad for you guys. what a uneducated fool, before I could explain he ran off
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by ghettochyk(f): 8:20pm On Jan 23, 2006
this is so true. first of all they think i speak swahili and celebrate kwanzaa because i'm african. once i was watching the game show "family feud", they asked what countries had the most handsome men. the black lady answered[i] africa[/i]. i so pissed. i got up to smack her but hit the t.v. screen. people here are so ignant and don't care to insult others' culture. they can't even look at a damn map. rolling my eyes but no smiley...
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by bebe6(f): 5:53am On Feb 04, 2006
Well, I went to a private school and later relocated to a public school (due to my father's job) in my early teachings and we did learn Africa to be a continent and not a country so not all Black Americans are dumbfounded about the difference. It's all about what is taught to you and if you embrace it to be truth.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by WesleyanA(f): 4:28am On Mar 10, 2006
b_e_b_e:

we did learn Africa to be a continent and not a country so not all Black Americans are dumbfounded about the difference. It's all about what is taught to you and if you embrace it to be truth.

Exactly.

to tell the truth, when i was younger i used to think all Asians were Chinese or Japanese (and I'm sure many people think that way too. You know from the books you've read e.t.c that all Asians aren't Chinese but you just associate Asia with China and Japan for some reason) until I came to my High school-- it's very diverse-- and met a whole lot of people from different parts of Asia.
I still call Hispanics "Spanish" sometimes even though i know they are not Spaniards (most Americans and black american and even some Hispanics themselves are guilty of this too).
It's all about what is taught to you Either they probably weren't taught that Africa was a continent or they were misinformed or maybe the only Africans they've met were from the same country.
We need to teach them. that's all.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by Hotstepper(f): 5:06am On Mar 10, 2006
even president Bush once in his speech said" da Continent of Nigeria" so i don't blame any1, esp. American's, most of dem are narrow minded, hardly know da next city next 2 dem or even a city inside da country next 2 dem, itz now have 2 be Africa, tongue
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by WesleyanA(f): 5:27am On Mar 10, 2006
Hotstepper:

even president Bush once in his speech said" da Continent of Nigeria"

Let's not even go near Bush's speeches. The guy needs some serious help with his issues. Seriously!
I'm still trying to understand why anyone in their right senses voted for him!
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by Rhodalyn(f): 11:55pm On Mar 10, 2006
it's really annoying how they think africa is some little village angry
God!!!!!! i see that to be mere dumpness
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by bebe6(f): 12:00am On Mar 11, 2006
WesleyanA:

Let's not even go near Bush's speeches. The boy needs some serious help with his issues. Seriously!

The ones on his level voted for him. Since heand his flunkies cheated to win the presidency, I enjoy the _ _ _ he makes out of himself when speaking publicly tongue
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by Ynot(m): 9:12am On Mar 12, 2006
WesleyanA:

Let's not even go near Bush's speeches. The boy needs some serious help with his issues. Seriously!

The best democracy money can buy.

Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by Idekeson(m): 7:28pm On Mar 12, 2006
The average westerner have no clue of other nations beyond their borders. Don't get mad at them, just inform them. Even if they seem not to agree with you, that's the best way to educate them.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by mamaput(f): 3:43pm On Mar 14, 2006
I have that problem here too. people ask "you come from Africa" i just say "yes" i don't even bother again.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by lauryn(f): 4:36am On Mar 15, 2006
mamaput:

I have that problem here too. people ask "you come from Africa" i just say "yes" i don't even bother again.
lol,
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by pearl2(m): 1:25pm On Mar 29, 2006
Americans are the most ignorant people on earth when it comes to knowing about other people and their present president typifies that(although you have to give him some credit that he has learned a little bit on the job).
Their 1st president,Washington warned them in his valedictory speech to beware of 'foreign entanglements',so I guess they still go a long way to take his advice seriously.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by Zahymaka(m): 5:44pm On Mar 29, 2006
My rommate still asks me "Do you have this over there in Africa?" and it gets me mad -- they seem to think because almost all Africans are "black" then we all come from some god-forsaken village. I always point out to racists that Asia and Africa [sources of the most discriminated-against peoples] are the biggest continents in the world -- with lots of countries.

It's simple -- they're ignorant and if you argue with somone who's determined to remain an ignoramus, it heightens the resolve to remain one. Think about it.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by dblock(m): 8:51am On May 26, 2006
This one got me pissed off. This guy comes up to me and goes do you ride on elephants in Africa. And on my first day in school my teacher was like you speak good english and you've only been in Australia for a week
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by kimba(m): 8:20pm On May 27, 2006
I had a classmate who actually had thought that Africa was made up of 4-countries: South Africa, North Africa, East Africa and West Africa, so when i had said, 'im from Nigeria', he goes, is that near Hawaii?

im like, duh

dont worry, I educated him with all the venom of the Georgraphy i had learnt in Sec. Schl. grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Official LAUTECH Open & Distance Learning Thread / 62 Students Rusticated, 12 Expelled From Auchi Poly / Mapoly Suspend Six Senior Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.