Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:28 AM

Africa is a Continent, Not a Country - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Africa is a Continent, Not a Country (10220 Views)

Name A Country Without The Letter 'a' In The Name / Africa's Best (2014) - Top 10 Private Universities On The Continent / Who Gave Our Continent The Name, Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by Hotstepper(f): 8:48pm On May 27, 2006
@kimba, datz so hilarious embarassed
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by Rhodalyn(f): 8:54pm On May 27, 2006
i take that to be ''mere Unintelligence''! it's just absolutely annoying! Africa a country how silly!!! didnt they learn any geography in skuul, it's just mere Untelligence!
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by Nobody: 10:40pm On May 27, 2006
Americans do learn geography in school but from what i hear it is mainly about America, Europe, Asia and South Africa. I once tried asking a friend what they learnt about africa, all i could garner was apartheid, coup, corruption, poverty e.t.c.

Na wa o, it seems africans know more geography than the so-called americans and europeans.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by Zahymaka(m): 10:45pm On May 27, 2006
davidylan:

Na wa o, it seems africans know more geography than the so-called americans and europeans.

Nope -- that is disinformation. Americans don't learn about Russia for example, Asian countries or African countries, so they believe they're evil. They don't even know anything about Cuba -- just that Fidel Castro's a demon.

If they knew enough of what these countries were and how they functioned, I doubt they'd back their leaders' policies. The aim is to keep them in ignorance.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by dblock(m): 8:38am On May 31, 2006
Most of 'rm don't mean to be offensive a lot of them are just uneducated(They are educated but don't know much about the outside world)
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by kimba(m): 7:10pm On May 31, 2006
@dblock
Most of 'rm don't mean to be offensive a lot of them are just uneducated(They are educated but don't know much about the outside world)

That is the truth. Many people just dont damn know about anywhere apart from where they live. Its not their fault, I think its our fault. We spend all the time learning everything about the west in ours schools, we spend all the time dreaming and wishing to "go abroad", and whereva, we forget to really discover beauty in where we presently are. Thats why many Nigerians quickly disappear once they get into the shores of another country. They dont stand unique in a multitude. We dont appreciate what we have. We dont appreciate our skin color, our hair, our body build. We dont appreciate the fact that a mosquito bite wont send us 6ft under.

That is the reason why we cant unite, no matter how many Nigerians are living in another country, in a community or in the same neighborhood, even working in the same wherever, they will always divide themselves into Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa.

One thing I like about the Chinese is that no matter where they go, what they achieve where they might even migrate too, they never forget home. Its more like in the blood. They live together, even outside CHina's shores. And you would find the same true of their descendants, even if born outside China. They appreciate their past, no matter how bad it is. Even if its once a year, they are going back to their village. But Nigeria, its not possible.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by anton(m): 10:13pm On Jun 15, 2006
kimba:

That is the reason why we can't unite, no matter how many Nigerians are living in another country, in a community or in the same neighborhood, even working in the same wherever, they will always divide themselves into Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa.

One thing I like about the Chinese is that no matter where they go, what they achieve where they might even migrate too, they never forget home. Its more like in the blood. They live together, even outside CHina's shores. And you would find the same true of their descendants, even if born outside China. They appreciate their past, no matter how bad it is. Even if its once a year, they are going back to their village. But Nigeria, its not possible.

Meditate on this greatly to find the solution to many of our problems as a people.

America is so full of stupid people, it would be funny if the smartest percentage didn't control the greatest nuclear arsenal on the planet.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by jayselams(m): 3:06pm On Nov 07, 2006
such is the state of this entity called earth who are those people talking about globalisation the ignorant whites. what a pity! well it true I just checked my map the drawing of AFRICA is so small compared to united states of amerikka CHEI! this white men make dem take tape measure the size first now abi ngbo!
Besides when they are given visa to come here and commit all manners of actrocities within 2 hours even sef for dem house, how dem no go look us with small pickin eyes heh!! but we e dey take us FIVE years or TEN to get their visa and still they will ask all manner of question that comes into their thick skull so sad
SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  angry sad
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by Akinagirl(f): 3:17am On Nov 09, 2006
WOW sounds like some people need to go back to secondary schhol. How in the world can you mistake Africa as a country and not a contient. A 7 year old knows that. Ignorance isnt bliss. People need to stop saying that. And besides, they must have slept throught ther geopgrapy and history lessions.
That is realy sad. sad
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by chimaze(m): 2:53am On Nov 10, 2006
I was chatting to some African-Americans on yahoo chat (more than 100 peeps). I asked them to name a country in Africa, none of them could name even one country except one that answered Siberia.

I couldn’t believe it. This is one of the reasons why that I’ve sworn never to study in the US.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by Akinagirl(f): 6:18am On Nov 10, 2006
Now that is just embarassing! Wow embarassed
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by awoof(m): 11:48am On May 19, 2007
i have read most of the posts in this thread its like people tend to beleive that Europeans know about Africa better than Americans, that is if somebody can convince me that Bosnia and Herzegovina (part of former Yugolslavia) is not in Europe. I was there in early 1996 to late 1997, as a matter of fact i lived in Mostar, where one boy asked me where i came from, i said i was from Nigeria, the next question he asked me was that "do you have earoplanes in your country" i was mad, and i answered him sarcastically that "no i walked all the way here from my country"
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by dblock(m): 12:21pm On May 19, 2007
This is my complain about Racism and Ignorance thread, so I'll Fill yall in on the Latest

The other day I was walking to the bus, when this dude walked up to me. I was like what da? All of a sudden the guy writes on my arm with his Black permanent marker and says to his firend "Wow, It actually shows"

What did you expect the Mark would blend in angry
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by soulpatrol(f): 4:11am On May 23, 2007
@dblock. you no give the guy correct whozing upside the head. what did he think you are? a blackboard? jesus, what insult and degradation.  angry i would have slapped him so hard the whiteness woulda faded off HIS skin. the idiot!
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by naijaway(m): 3:14am On May 26, 2007
most Africans don't know Africa. Matter of fact, most nigerians don't know some states in the country not to talk about neighboring states.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by soulpatrol(f): 1:29am On May 29, 2007
i think nigerians know a lot about their country than most people know about theirs. we always seem to be in touch with current events, politics, news etc wherever we are. just my observation. tongue
i've come across americans that have no clue about the goings-on in their country. some don't even know who the vice president of their country is, or their political parties. for real.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by MP007(m): 7:54am On May 29, 2007
Thank you very very much for bringing this topic up.dem white forks just annoy me.Anything they ask if am from africa and reply by saying 'are you from north america" ? and they get annoyed , replying "am from the united states ", and am like , "am from Nigeria bitch"
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by MP007(m): 7:57am On May 29, 2007
u know say white folks stupid, they are too gullible.they have simply been brain wahsed by the americam media.How can u be asking me an africa about my life on a tree.I just bitch their assx out , all they show dem on tv is sudan , ethopia and poor african nations , YOU know what ? I think am going to take my camera to america's ghetto and but the sh*t on youtube for the world 2 see. they think they 2 much , bunch of motherfukers, bastards, they just annoy me,
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by soulpatrol(f): 1:17am On May 30, 2007
ha ha mp007. "i'm from nigeria, bitch". that was hella funny.  grin those people just dey annoy you shey? i know o. me sef don tired for them. you can't teach an old dog new tricks. most of em are set in their ways. they would rather remain ignorant no matter how much you try to educate them. don't bother yourself. important thing for us is to represent our country in a positive way while we are abroad. i might not have cared much for naija while i was there, but now that i'm abroad, the minute i so much as hear any negative comment about my country, na to descend on the person o.
singing me i love my country, i like the land and people, everybody dey for nigeria, make we join hands, to make nigeria greater! i like aaaammmmmmm. can't remember the lyrics to that old song tongue
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by djboogie: 9:21pm On Jun 10, 2007
The Problem is people from the US
I live in the US (am FROM England)
I feel sorry for people that live here, because they LIVE by the media, believe EVERYTHING they see on the news, and because of "political correctness" whats real and what isnt gets blown out of proportion.
Ive had "when did you move from London"?
I lived nowhere near London!
also "I like your British accent"
Britain consists of 3(and a quarter) countries, there is no "British accent"
its like saying 'European accent"
Everything in the US gets "Hollywoodized" or blown out of proportion
And the latest "gimmick" is political correctness

The biggest joke is how American people celebrate St Patricks day. I mean, bagpipes
(Yea yea ok, there ARE Irish type bagpipes, but you VERY rarely see them played in Ireland!!)
Also, I met an American Guy that said "Im Irish", I said, oh how ling you been here? he replied, Ive never been to Ireland, my ancestors were Irish,
Does that make him Irish?? NOOOOOO
African American is the same. Some dont even have African Ancestors!! And the problem again, is "political correctness"
Because many do not like the term "black". They are called African American.
Weird how white people are NOT called European American, but still thats another issue.
And because of this political correctness, the real georgraphy of Africa is blown out of the window and not even realised.
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by djboogie: 9:23pm On Jun 10, 2007
I'd reply to some other threads, the problem is, I cant understand what is being typed.
Is this some type of neo English?
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by djboogie: 9:25pm On Jun 10, 2007
Soulpatrol
"@dblock. you no give the guy correct whozing upside the head. what did he think you are? a blackboard? jesus, what insult and degradation. i would have slapped him so hard the whiteness woulda faded off HIS skin. the idiot!"

I dont condone racism from ANY ethnic group.
But what you just said, is as bad as what the guy did
Just because of one idiot, you go on the whole "colour" issue
The guy was a dick, I dont give a crap what colour he was. So why give the whole "whiteness" crap?
tit for tat blah blah
Re: Africa is a Continent, Not a Country by djboogie: 9:26pm On Jun 10, 2007
God this thread is so racist its unbelievable

(1) (2) (Reply)

Official LAUTECH Open & Distance Learning Thread / 62 Students Rusticated, 12 Expelled From Auchi Poly / Mapoly Suspend Six Senior Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.