Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,850 members, 7,956,190 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:22 AM

Plane Touches Down At Akwa Ibom For 1st Time! (video) - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Plane Touches Down At Akwa Ibom For 1st Time! (video) (8955 Views)

Passengers At Abuja Airport Sleep Under Turkish Airline Plane / Lagos Plane Crash: List Of Passengers & Survivors / Which Club Will Give Me The Best 1st Time Experience In Abuja? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Plane Touches Down At Akwa Ibom For 1st Time! (video) by sandee575(f): 4:59pm On Nov 16, 2009
o
Re: Plane Touches Down At Akwa Ibom For 1st Time! (video) by mspearl: 7:13am On Apr 23, 2011
na wa oo
am just surprise at some people comment
plane lands in akwa ibom or not is none of my concern
if Nigerian likes let them have airport in someone backyard is not a problem
if this airport was an additional airport in Abuja or Lagos no one will complain
i know akwa ibom is a small state
but the fact still remains if the government decide to construct airport to cover their face
that is thier own cup of tea
becos if they do it or not our cash is still going down the drain
at least let me appreciate the one i have seen with my eyes
even if no one fly in or out after all the people that decided to build it knew all this and they went a heard. but
am still happy about it
Re: Plane Touches Down At Akwa Ibom For 1st Time! (video) by jason123: 1:13pm On May 05, 2012
Akpabio Inaugurates Phase II of Ibom International Airport

Akwa Ibom State Governor Godswill Akpabio has inaugurated construction work on Phase II of the Ibom International Airport, which consists of a second runway/taxiway, apron and new terminal.

The commencement of work on the project is in keeping with his campaign promises and resolute drive to transform the state into a major player in Nigeria and the world.

The immediate-past administration of Obong Victor Attah in the state awarded the airport project Phase I to Dyncorp, which achieved about 18 percent completion of the project before Akpabio came on the saddle. Committed to delivering on his campaign promises, Akpabio re-awarded the runway to Messrs Gitto Nigeria Ltd with a marching order to complete it in 12 months.

Gitto delivered the project in ten months and the airport went into operations and has been running for more than two years.

In furtherance of its political milestones, the Akpabio administration embarked on Phase II of the project to enhance the international status of the airport. In this phase, which involves a 3.4 km runway-taxiway, apron and new terminal, Gitto Nigeria Ltd was awarded the runway/taxiway and apron.

The commencement of the construction work was attended by the state Commissioner for Special Duties, Special Adviser on Infrastructure, Permanent Secretaries, top functionaries of the state government, the Managing Director of the airport and dignitaries from all walks of life.

Inaugurating the project, Governor Akpabio enjoined the people of the state to take advantage of the development opportunities being thrown up by the programmes of his administration.

Speaking on his infrastructural programmes, Akpabio said: “My vision and mission is to put all major infrastructure for sustainable development of the state in place. This will make it easier for subsequent administrations to build on those solid foundations and sustain the momentum of development for the benefit of the people of Akwa-Ibom towards a greater Nigeria.”

He congratulated Gitto Nigeria Limited for winning the contract and commencing work.

Akpabio commended the company for being a committed and reliable partner in the development of the state, recalling that Gitto constructed the first runway to specification and completed it in record time.

The governor said he was, therefore, not surprised that the company won the contract for the new runway/taxiway and apron.

The project consultant commended the earlier work done by Gitto, stating that when the new runway/taxiway and apron are completed, the airport would have the capacity to receive such aircraft as Airbus 380, which is currently the heaviest aircraft in the aviation industry.

He said he had no iota of doubt that the contractor would maintain its standards of performance and prompt delivery of project.

The Special Adviser on Infrastructure, Etido Inyang, said Gitto was performing very well in Akwa-Ibom because the government was giving it the necessary support, making available to it administrative and technical efficiency of all the departments of government involved in project delivery.

He also spoke of prompt payment for certified works.

Reacting to allegations in some newspaper reports against the quality of work of Gitto Nigeria Limited, the company’s Managing Director, Domenico Gitto, said he would prefer that his works and his clients speak for him as such would be based on verifiable facts.

He promised that if the client kept to the letters and spirit of the contracts awarded and the community provided the company the enabling environment, Gitto would deliver projects within the contracted timeframe.

The airport Managing Director said the project would improve the service delivery capacity of the Ibom International Airport and place it in a better position to contribute its quota in driving the Akwa-Ibom economy towards industrialization and by so doing improve the standard of living of the people.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/akpabio-inaugurates-phase-ii-of-ibom-international-airport/115180/
Re: Plane Touches Down At Akwa Ibom For 1st Time! (video) by Atouke: 8:12pm On Dec 04, 2014
WoW See bad belle people, on this thread! Akwa Ibom Ado Ok LOL. Thank God that Akwa Ibom Airport is growing in leaps and bounds, with a new and bigger terminal bilding, A parallel taxiway and a cargo terminal Under construction. The New MRO building has been completed, The first Purpose Built MRO in Nigeria and passenger traffic puts the airport as the 4th busiest in the country AKIA is one of the only few airports in Nigeria with runwaylights that makes is capable for Night time operations . The bad belle people on this thread were wrong about this project and are generally wrong about Akwa Ibom.

Thankl God Akwa Ibom People are a people with vision and are making things happen in Nigeria.
Re: Plane Touches Down At Akwa Ibom For 1st Time! (video) by FEGEITOK: 8:47am On Oct 18, 2023
Jakumo:

My obsession with flying can only be described as all-consuming, The Amaka.  I have a flight simulator setup based on Microsoft 2004 flight sim platform, and have logged more hours than I care to admit mastering the systems and procedures of the 737 fleet produced by PMDG, and my all time favourite, the 767-300ER from Level D, which handles like a finely tuned Ferrari, in comparison to just about all other commercial jetliners in service today.

Rather than a computer keyboard, my simulator is equipped with a flight yoke, rudder pedals and a throttle quadrant, for added realism.  For me, there are few more intense pleasures than dis-engaging the auto-pilot to hand-fly a big bird though a ferocious storm on final approach to land in a sideways crab while battling monster crosswinds, and I have logged more hours doing that than I have in just about any other recreational activity I know of, including sex.

The right seat in my simulator room is set up with helicopter controls - the collective, cyclic and anti-torque pedals, and with all the hours I have logged there, I could fly and hover a Robinson R22  helicopter blindfolded.  So yeah, I love the birds, be they big or small.

Have you got pictures? Care to share?
Re: Plane Touches Down At Akwa Ibom For 1st Time! (video) by kenny714433(m): 10:04am On Oct 18, 2023
Despite the criticism, the airport continues to grow

Re: Plane Touches Down At Akwa Ibom For 1st Time! (video) by ubox: 10:52pm On Dec 08, 2023
mustafar1:
ok, now to the real challenges of running an airport and making it viable and profitable.
Time flies

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Is Everyone After Uk And Usa Visas? / Your First Travel Experience On A Double-decker Bus / Survival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.