Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,296 members, 7,839,458 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:39 PM

Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto (49250 Views)

Pre-Wedding Photos Of Aminu Sanusi And Fulani Zainab Ali Bashir / Emir Sanusi Drives Vintage Car To Dubar; Same As His Grand-father's In 1956 / Emir Sanusi And His White Rolls Royce At The Commissioning Of Olam Feed Mill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by honeymix77(m): 7:49pm On Nov 05, 2016
Love vintage cars,

This man had his for more than 80 years, he never used another.

Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by Ademoore07(m): 8:11pm On Nov 05, 2016
cycline404:

You need to learn about vintage style. That cars the older the age the more expensive it is...

Of what benefit is it, when it's technology are outdated? Think sensibly, pls
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by Futureleader201(m): 8:14pm On Nov 05, 2016
One Nigeria is very sweet ooo cool lipsrsealed
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by nura15(m): 8:21pm On Nov 05, 2016
Omoakinsuyi:
If Buhari is sincere about anti -corruption war, then Sanusi should be in jail
go and arrest him[url]
Omoakinsuyi:
go and arrest him[/url]
Omoakinsuyi:
go and arrest him
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by mmsen: 8:24pm On Nov 05, 2016
patriotic9jaboy:

that ugly car is far more expensive than today's fancy cars

Price is no indicator of quality or function.

Retailers can afford to sell overpriced goods because there will always be fools like Sanusi who will overpay for them.
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by peterjero(m): 8:42pm On Nov 05, 2016
That's a true vintage, I won't be calling my car vintage till it gets to 50 years it's not even 30 years yet just 27.
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by peterjero(m): 8:48pm On Nov 05, 2016
mmsen:

Retailers can afford to sell overpriced goods because there will always be fools like Sanusi who will overpay for them.
My brother you arey guy try not to make your sense of reasoning be the only reason to follow, a Nokia 105 can't be compared to an iPhone 7, same way that vintage rolls Royce can't be compared to the Toyota Crown of its time. That cat the emir drove is more than 50 years and still drives smoothly. If you know what that feels you won't make the argument you are making.

PS : emir Sanusi isn't my guy, like I would say of Donald Duke, GEJ, oladipo diya, Murray Bruce and Co, I just love the car. Vintage gives you prestige and class which humans by nature desire.
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by Nobody: 8:59pm On Nov 05, 2016
deliveryboy:

Don't hurt his brain, he knows nothing about sentimental value

Now he's learnt a new word today...Sentimental
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by mmsen: 9:03pm On Nov 05, 2016
peterjero:

My brother you arey guy try not to make your sense of reasoning be the only reason to follow, a Nokia 105 can't be compared to an iPhone 7, same way that vintage rolls Royce can't be compared to the Toyota Crown of its time. That cat the emir drove is more than 50 years and still drives smoothly. If you know what that feels you won't make the argument you are making.

PS : emir Sanusi isn't my guy, like I would say of Donald Duke, GEJ, oladipo diya, Murray Bruce and Co, I just love the car. Vintage gives you prestige and class which humans by nature desire.

Dr Dre and Monster Headphones created a billion dollar company that sold low quality headphones at an inflated price to millions of fools. This vehicle is just another example of the same scam. Sanusi is in good company of overpaying for garbage.

Most motorists would prefer a low maintenance vehicle with modern amenities such as air conditioning, Sat-Nav, power steering and power locking.

Nike sell shoes that cost $20 to make for $200 - $300.

There are several other examples of consumers being duped into overpaying for products because of marketing, labels and other tricks of the trade. Calling something 'vintage' is one such example.

Price does to automatically equate to quality. Nor does "vintage".

You are not qualified to speak on that which 'human beings desire'. Humans have a number of basic needs, 'vintage' goods isn't one of them.

P.S.
How do you know that the car still drives 'smoothly'? Do you know how much he has to pay to maintain such a vehicle?
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by NemzySeries(m): 9:07pm On Nov 05, 2016
shortgun:

waste of money
wuz d money used in purchasing d car debited frm ur account? if no den drink water & mind ur business
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by urahara(m): 9:40pm On Nov 05, 2016
brostheo:
The car is as ugly as sanusi himself

Really undecided
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by omonnakoda: 9:43pm On Nov 05, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

The car was given to sarki ado bayero by the queen of england small fry. It wasnt a waste. Its a beautiful vintage car with sentimental value, i dont expect you to understand.
given
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by AnanseK(m): 9:52pm On Nov 05, 2016
shortgun:
very ugly looking car

What is greater than "sour grapes" ? grin
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by Nobody: 10:13pm On Nov 05, 2016
Some exotic cars @ Shehu kangiwa square Sokoto during grand dabur to mark Sultan's 10yrs on throne.
Photo credit: B.I.Jabo

Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 05, 2016

Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by pinkyruledworld(m): 10:31pm On Nov 05, 2016
it looks like a Cadillac hartman but I thinks its a Rolls Royce
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by basadenet: 10:54pm On Nov 05, 2016
Wetin concern agbero with overload....vintage car my yansh.
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by skywalker240(m): 11:15pm On Nov 05, 2016
thats 1932 phantomgrin
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by NaijaBlend: 11:28pm On Nov 05, 2016
I never knew this man is as power-drunk Dino!
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by cronsberg: 11:36pm On Nov 05, 2016
that car looks like the car in a video of 'modern marvels: failed inventions'. the car is suppose to have two front wheels and one rear wheel, which makes is so manuverable that u can turn it 360 degrees without moving an inch. which also makes it easy to pararrel park, however the car never caught on and it failed into the dustbin of failed inventions.
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by naptu2: 3:39am On Nov 06, 2016
skywalker240:
thats 1932 phantomgrin

It's a 1952 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith.
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by naptu2: 3:42am On Nov 06, 2016
mmsen:

Emir Sanusi didn't buy the car. It was bought by Abdullahi Bayero c1952.

naptu2:
Nubar Gulbenkian's Rolls Royce Silver Wraith (It was used by the Queen when she visited Nigeria in 1956).

More pictures. https://www.nairaland.com/2560289/muhammadu-sanusi-ii-abuja-today

Nubar Gulbenkian was an eccentric Armenian-British millionaire who was crazy about Rolls Royces. He had many custom made Rolls Royces (the Rolls Royce company was not always happy with the designs that he chose for his cars). This particular car was designed by Gulbenkian in 1952. It's a Rolls Royce Silver Wraith, but its lights are different from any other Silver Wraith.

The Emir of Kano, Abdullahi Bayero (Emir from 1926-1953) bought the car shortly afterwards. Bayero died and the car was inherited by his successor, Alhaji Mohammed Sanusi I. The car was used to convey Queen Elizabeth II when she toured Northern Nigeria in 1956 (Kano, Jos, Kaduna, etc).

The car was also inherited by the late Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero and it has now been inherited by the current Emir, Muhammad Sanusi II.

Picture - Queen Elizabeth in the car in 1956.

naptu2:
It's a Silver Wraith, but it was designed by Gubenkian and its headlights make it the only one of its kind in the world. It's been in the Kano Royal Family since 1952. It was restored in 2009.

Queen Elizabeth in the car in 1956

Emir Sanusi in the car in 2015.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by naptu2: 4:10am On Nov 06, 2016
This car has sentimental value to the emirs. It was bought by Ado Bayero's grandfather and used by Sanusi's grandfather. Emir Sanusi would have ridden in the car when he was a child.

However, the car was in bad shape by 2009, so the then emir, Alhaji Ado Bayero, sent it to Chris Lee's Ltd, Beaconsfield, Bucks in England, who are famous for restoring Rolls Royces. Chris Lee said:

The instruction was to do anything that was required, irrespective of cost, and we ultimately rebuilt pretty well everything, starting with a new ash frame for the alloy body. Along the way we created replacement Perspex covers for the unique front lights, and persuaded the speedometer in the rear compartment back into life, where we also fitted a genuine Rolls-Royce badge bar to serve as a handrail for the emir when he needed to stand and acknowledge his people.

The car being restored in 2009.

1 Like

Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by naptu2: 4:21am On Nov 06, 2016
That car has been in the fleet of the Kano Royal Family for over 60 years.
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by sweetgala(m): 6:57am On Nov 06, 2016
patriotic9jaboy:

that ugly car is far more expensive than today's fancy cars

That car has been in the ownership of the emirate for over a decade possibly 3 decades now from the history I have been able to gather.

Would probably buy 2 new. RR phantoms
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by skywalker240(m): 7:07am On Nov 06, 2016
naptu2:

It's a 1952 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith.
grin
Looks more like silver ghost..grin

My mistake,

Its a wonderful peice of artifact...of old age, only for folks who knows what luxury means,..

Oluwa enlarge our coast so that RR becomes a local car in our garage..
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by sweetgala(m): 7:09am On Nov 06, 2016
mmsen:

Dr Dre and Monster Headphones created a billion dollar company that sold low quality headphones at an inflated price to millions of fools. This vehicle is just another example of the same scam. Sanusi is in good company of overpaying for garbage.

Most motorists would prefer a low maintenance vehicle with modern amenities such as air conditioning, Sat-Nav, power steering and power locking.

Nike sell shoes that cost $20 to make for $200 - $300.

There are several other examples of consumers being duped into overpaying for products because of marketing, labels and other tricks of the trade. Calling something 'vintage' is one such example.

Price does to automatically equate to quality. Nor does "vintage".

You are not qualified to speak on that which 'human beings desire'. Humans have a number of basic needs, 'vintage' goods isn't one of them.

P.S.
How do you know that the car still drives 'smoothly'? Do you know how much he has to pay to maintain such a vehicle?

My friend a lot of things are overpriced in life a Rolls Royce is not one of them. This is a coach built vehicle with advanced tech for its day . The ride seating in that car is as good as a 1990s exec saloon
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by naptu2: 7:15am On Nov 06, 2016
sweetgala:

That car has been in the ownership of the emirate for over a decade possibly 3 decades now from the history I have been able to gather.

Would probably buy 2 new. RR phantoms

6 decades. It was bought by Abdullahi Bayero in 1952 or '53.

1) 1952-1962
2) 1962-1972
3 1972-1982
4) 1982-1992
5) 1992-2002
6) 2002-2012

1 Like

Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by naptu2: 7:17am On Nov 06, 2016
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by naptu2: 7:22am On Nov 06, 2016
The royal family also has a lot of horses, camels and carriages in its stables (some of which are used for the famous Kano durbars). This is one of the emir's carriages.

A durbar was staged for the queen in 1956 and another one was staged for Margaret Thatcher in 1988. Durbars have also been staged for many visiting presidents, prime ministers and monarchs.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2794968_horsedrawncarriageforhrhemirofkano_jpeg113b70dc2ddd2f98db6a835d8ec104e6
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by sweetgala(m): 7:23am On Nov 06, 2016
naptu2:

6 decades. It was bought by Abdullahi Bayero in 1952 or '53.

1) 1952-1962
2) 1962-1972
3 1972-1982
4) 1982-1992
5) 1992-2002
6) 2002-2012

Chai.. I'll estimate current value at over 5 million dollars given a 250gto Ferrari sold for 25 million at auction recently

Given this is a one of one special with historic relevance
Re: Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto by naptu2: 7:28am On Nov 06, 2016
sweetgala:

Chai.. I'll estimate current value at over 5 million dollars given a 250gto Ferrari sold for 25 million at auction recently

Also note that the car is the only one of its kind in the world. It is a Silver Wraith, but it was designed by the eccentric millionaire, Nubar Gulbenkian, who loved to order for Rolls Royce engines and chasis and get coach builders to build unique bodies for them. His Rolls Royces are a collector's item.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Ladies Are Beautiful! (pictures) / Pictures Of Emir Palaces In The North, Where Tradition And Modernity Blend Well / Village Women Gathered To Flog Man Who Beats His Wife (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.