Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,857 members, 7,817,541 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira (41068 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / Border Closure: Ofada Rice Farmers Make Profit Amid Challenges / Direct Cocoa Farmers Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by ephi123(f): 11:18pm On Nov 12, 2016
AreaFada2:

True.
But in Ghana, Fair Trade practices have improved income of some farmers, so it can only get better. Especially as awareness grows.

Even with the Cocoa co-operative of those days, many farmers still made good money.

It's a shame that those doing the hard work get the least benefit, but thankfully Fair Trade will improve the situation as you pointed out.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by naijaking1: 11:25pm On Nov 12, 2016
This is the real and authentic determinant of our naira value, not oil, and not some foo--oolish comment from Buhari
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Topmaike007(m): 11:50pm On Nov 12, 2016
I rep cocoa oo that is me in my farm

3 Likes

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Sibrah: 2:22am On Nov 13, 2016
naijaking1:
This is the real and authentic determinant of our naira value, not oil, and not some foo--oolish comment from Buhari
In principle, anything that fetches us $$ in intl market is the real determinant of dollar value in forex market.
For example cassava when exported as starch yeilds double the return of when used for garri. As people rush into farming its to take advantage of the rising dollar rate supply will increase against a stable local demand and drive local prices down.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by AreaFada2: 4:12am On Nov 13, 2016
Topmaike007:
I rep cocoa oo that is me in my farm
Nice.
How old are these trees?

I was expecting many ripe pods as we're now in harvest season? Or already harvested.

Which fungicides did you use? Copper Sulphate, cuprous oxide/perenox, or metalaxyl/Ridomil?

Is Gamalin 20 pesticide still in use too?
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by AreaFada2: 4:17am On Nov 13, 2016
achyc2002:

My client bought some from the state government sponsored prog and we've started counting days. I will upload the pics when I take a trip back to the area.

Meanwhile, a formal associate of mine in Ghana also confirmed it. If you have frnds in Ghana, confirm it.

I know is new improve hybrid but don't know what it is called. I will confirm this also and get back to the group.

Good. This should be promoted better by everyone.

Some people in Ivory Coast are now producing chocolate for export. Early fruiting trees will encourage young educated farmers who can get together & go into processing too. Even if for local consumption at first.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by lawsbanks: 5:06am On Nov 13, 2016
Slikbae:
And my dad has over 40 plots of land wasting away. I have told him to start cocoa farming but he won't listen.

Where does he have the plots of land? If i were ur dads son. I would have started the farming myself. Our parents are not looking so far anymore. We are the ones that have a long way to go... Is he willing to sell?
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by mamajaz(f): 5:16am On Nov 13, 2016
Slikbae:
And my dad has over 40 plots of land wasting away. I have told him to start cocoa farming but he won't listen.
...what about you lazy bone
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by justjify(m): 9:19am On Nov 13, 2016
jejemanito:

Drinking oyel
grin you are a mad man grin
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Nobody: 11:52am On Nov 13, 2016
Bubu4Sea:
[size=14pt]Excellent, so the South West can go back to their cocoa and leave our oil alone.

Chai, can you imagine our sophisticated South West going to farm
[img]http://image.hotdog.hu/user/11angyalka/magazin/photo-friday-sweet-success-for-cocoa-farmers.tns.jpg[/img]
Well no more oil to drink for them.
Cocoa is now making money grin grin grin

[/size] grin grin grin
@bolded you just talk without using any part of your brain. Define sophistication and tell me how it applies to how you earn a living. Nigeria's educational sector has finally gone to ruins
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by winj: 4:19pm On Nov 13, 2016
rabex123:

What have we been doing since independence self.

Answer: mass producing children they can't feed and blaming government for everyting.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Topmaike007(m): 6:25pm On Nov 14, 2016
AreaFada2:
Nice.
How old are these trees?

I was expecting many ripe pods as we're now in harvest season? Or already harvested.

Which fungicides did you use? Copper Sulphate, cuprous oxide/perenox, or metalaxyl/Ridomil?

Is Gamalin 20 pesticide still in use too?
I use ultimax and redomil.... But rocket fungicide is still the dope
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Rochero(m): 5:44am On Nov 15, 2016
olajizz01:
u said cocoa exporters make the money,not cocoa farmers,don't say that again,i have cocoa farm and know how much i am making now compare to before.
Pls saw ur post,can u send me contact cos I want to ask you certain questions about cocoa processing and selling. Thanks.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Slikbae: 9:14am On Dec 20, 2016
Watch your tongue. Is that how you go about insulting people? First of all, I'm very young, and still in uni. And considering that I'm willing to use his farm if he let's me tells you I'm not a "lazy bone".. So Mrs Hardworker, what have you achieved?
mamajaz:

...what about you lazy bone

1 Like

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Slikbae: 9:18am On Dec 20, 2016
Its in Delta state and you know cocoa grows well there. Don't think he's willing to sell. Actually he has many plots of land but this happens to be the biggest.. He is too stubborn and won't let my brother use it talk more of me considering I'm a girl.
lawsbanks:

Where does he have the plots of land? If i were ur dads son. I would have started the farming myself. Our parents are not looking so far anymore. We are the ones that have a long way to go... Is he willing to sell?
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Slikbae: 9:22am On Dec 20, 2016
Nothing good comes easy... My bro has been singing cocoa to my dad for about 9 years now... Imagine if he had started then.
AreaFada2:

Cocoa is hard work sha.

It takes many years to start getting a decent harvest. With proper maintenance and the right soil (slight acidic, well-drained) that still preserves some water to help in dry season, by year 10 after planting, harvest should be good.

It is a delicate plant: not too much rain, not too much heat, some shade but not too much, not too windy area & better if a bit on a slope leading to a river (underground moisture likely).

Then prepare for phythopthora spp (black pod) infection affecting young pods especially in the later part (September/October) of cool raining season. The ancestors made cool money from cocoa. Cocoa was treated almost like a pet dog or a horse. But we lack the patience & tenacity of those days.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by bigdaddy1: 8:36am On Jun 23, 2017
Good day

i

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Sell Plantain In Profitable Markets In Nigeria / Rom Oil Mills - Biggest Edible Oil Refinery - Launched In Ibadan / A Disabled Man Working On His Rice Farm In Zamfara (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.