Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:39 AM

Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV (7450 Views)

Poll: Which TV programmes do you enjoy better?

Nigerian TV: 30% (11 votes)
Foreign TV: 69% (25 votes)
This poll has ended

Lg Led Tv Vs Samsung Led Tv Products: Which Would You Recommend? / The Queens And Kings Of Nigerian TV Soap Operas ( Photos ) / American Tv Vs British Tv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by gracious(f): 4:27pm On Dec 01, 2005
let's compare nigerian tv stations and programmes to foreign or american tv prog

Hey guys what's up?

We are always comparing nollywood to hollywood. well as for me there is one easy way to answer the question of which is better. let us start by comparing nigerian tv programmes to american or foreign tv.

Come on, the news alone doesn't even stand a chance. I'm not saying nigerian news isn't good but it is just . . I don't know.

When it comes to television, I love foreign stations. Reality TV programmes are the bam.

Ok what of nigerian programmes? They are just there. Talk of american TV, you can see the use of the imagination. They are creative. Talk about desperate housewives, laguna beach, all these programmes. Is a show like Laguna Beach so expensive that a Nigerian station can't produce its version or something like that?

Well that's my opinion. What do you guys think?rolleyes
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by hotangel2(f): 4:01am On Dec 03, 2005
I think u need to start appreciating. Why should Laguna beach be recreated. Me thinks comparing Hollywood to Nollywood is really sick. Even the smallest ant knows that they r both un-comparable. So why do u wanna start comparing them. Yes we ain't up to them. SO what? We are growing!

Laguna beach is one of my fav shows.. but for it to be re-created in nigeria is gon be stupid. Because LB is a reality Tv show. You cannot recreate Reality shows.. because then, it won't be reality.. it'd be acting.
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by Seun(m): 9:15am On Jun 06, 2006
Some Nigerian TV shows are really good, for example:
- Gulder Ultimate Search
- Super Story By Wale Adenuga Productions.
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by otokx(m): 1:54pm On Jun 06, 2006
let us not go too far. For the past 6 weeks I have been priviledged to watch South African TV stations via satellite at home and I must say its out of this world. Check out the same commercials for macleens, heinekeen, MTN, always and similar products and u get the feeling of being cheated. Look at the quality of their programming and the timing and you wonder. For avoidance of doubt I am refering to public TV stations owned by the south african government like SABC1, 2 & 3 and ETV . Those people in NTA plus the private stations should hide their head in shame.
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by LoverBwoy(m): 2:14pm On Jun 06, 2006
Super Story!!!  grin have they made it on VCD/DVD?
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by Hotstepper(f): 4:11pm On Jun 06, 2006
my best time nigerian programme gat 2 be FAMILY CIRCLE, "mummy said we shouldn't eat inbetween meals"
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by wiseguy(m): 11:23am On Jun 07, 2006
Nigerian TV programming? Rubbish!
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by bolaoni(m): 11:34am On Jun 08, 2006
4get it! angry
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by shockreaction(m): 3:10am On Jun 09, 2006
Silverbird TV is the only TV station in Nigeria, right?
Well, okay, in any case, there's no point comparing.
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by beyunce(f): 11:10am On Jun 13, 2006
Men the gap is just to much
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by temitwice(m): 5:44pm On Jun 14, 2006
After reading all the comment posted so far, its a shame no1 is putting forth what might be the Solution. Its also a mistake to compare Nigeria to Us or even South Africa because of the rules guiding there National Broadcasting stations. I guess we know the way forward but our producers prefer to air their best work on Mnet than on our national tvs. How many sponsorship can we boast of ? Who are the catalyst that will aid a free flowing and "acceptable" tv programmes. By the word "acceptable" i meant tv soaps that will be embrace by all asundry, religiously and stuffs, I like some 9ja programmes like Dominio, Fuji house of Commotion, 2 mention few, and i fink Adepetu is doiing great job,
  It hurt bigerly when Big Brother Nigeria was only on DSTV n the only recap is done on NTA. The best thing that has happened to 9ja TV recently is SILVErbird tv and Soundcity, mayb wiv some others, but my people whats the solution to this nagging problem.
1. Buy a DSTV
2. Steal 2 but the card everymonth
3. Bust tv and face Radio, there is Cool Fm, Raypower and Rythm 93.7, plus other copycats,

My Lord i rest my case. undecided
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by my2cents(m): 9:05pm On Dec 07, 2006
Let us not fall into the trap that oyibo wants us to fall into. I seriously doubt that if you go to some random oyibo country, that they will be clamoring to watch our shows the same way we are clamoring to watch theirs.

If our shows aren't worth watching, we should either put in pple who will ensure the proper programming or influence those already in positions to do so.

I remember some time in the late 90s when Ted Turner, former founder of CNN, was pissed at the french govt. Why? cos they told him that either his cartoon station (cartoon network) started showing english cartoons in french (as in, no subtitles) or get off the air. I loved that move big time. The french, as weird as they sometimes are wink weren't going to allow some english guy come in and subtly make english the language du jour of the french kids.

Personally, I prefer nigerian tv, no matter how bad. I have stopped watching foreign films for one. Our films have a moral lesson to be learnt at the end. Sure, many are predictable, but they are getting better. I listen to AKBC radio online. I have stopped listening to american rap. When I am home, it is amazing how many of my buddies try to impress me (at least that is how I see it) by immediately flipping to CNN the minute I set foot in their houses. I immediately request they change to their local TV station. You should see the looks on their faces cool

Maybe it comes with age. I don't know. One thing is for sure though - I prefer Nigerian TV to American anytime anyday!
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by saintchux(m): 9:52pm On Dec 07, 2006
Why should we compare Nigeria TV with foreign TV. I does not make sense at all. Most of the technologies we are using is from there. Most of our programmes are even richer and more entertaining than theirs. Apart from Football. whatelse can the foreign TV offer?

Nigeria Television is really trying. Given the harsh environment they are operating. No electricity for running of the TV station. Use of generator more than 12 hours in a day. Increase in price of petroleum every time.

Before now u can only watch NTA, but we have many private television station almost in every state. Imagine watching the debate on 3rd term live coutesy of AIT.

What we need is for the government to do their part, give us steady electricity, good road and cheap communication, I bet you we will perrfrom better than foreign TV station.

Our Jounalist aree been harrased everyday by police for reporting one thing or the other. Imagine a journalist been arrested for saying that presidential jet is tokunbo. It can not happen in foreign land.

Let us pray for may 29 2007 to come, so that this bad government will go. may be our cries will be heard by God and a leader will be given to us.
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by Radiant(f): 10:16pm On Dec 07, 2006
I don't get you people sometimes? I mean, what nonsense again? Gushhh!!!
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by gbadex1(m): 11:52pm On Dec 07, 2006
Apart from Teletubbies and probably Soundcity, Nigerian tv stations are sh*t! cheesy
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by Ugwumba(m): 11:54pm On Dec 07, 2006
gbade. x:

Apart from Teletubbies and probably Soundcity, Nigerian tv stations are sh*t! cheesy

teletubbies?? how old are you? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by gbadex1(m): 12:04am On Dec 08, 2006
Lol, check the profile. if i can find Teletubbies interesting, then the crappy programs naija tv stations spew forth are absolutely shitty.
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by MP007(m): 1:29am On Dec 08, 2006
foreign tv
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by md4real(m): 3:30am On Dec 08, 2006
gbade. x:

When you talk about Nigeria tv in comparism with other foreign tv, you should be aware that our tv station are "big boys" compared with the television stations of countries like GHANA,LIBERIA,SOMALIA,SUDAN,CHAD,NIGER and so many others! as america senior us na so we senior some people tooo'oooh.
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by adconline(m): 7:32am On Dec 08, 2006
Nigerians are always sentimental whenever we are compared with S/Africa or US, yet some folks tell you that living in Naija is better than Abroad. We complain of crime in Naija, people say there are crimes in New York, then there is no power failure in Atlanta, some Nigerians will say Nigeria is a developing country.
We complain of electoral fraud, Naija will say there was fraud in Florida; we will say there is fraud in all the elections in Nigerians while Naija apologists will say America is the oldest democracy.

We make comparison when we find similar problems in other countries and contrite when it is obviously clear that we are far behind. By the way, Kanu's peak milk commercial was shot in S/Africa. No Naija Advertising company could handle GLO /CAF Award promos. This topic should be a non-starter unless you have not watched, Channelo, Supersport, MNet Channels etc all S/African TV channels. What does Naija have ? NTA biggest TV network in Africa? Really; I wonder if Nielsen Scan system was used to validate this assumption.
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by adconline(m): 7:42am On Dec 08, 2006
@md4real

When you talk about Nigeria tv in comparism with other foreign tv, you should be aware that our tv station are "big boys" compared with the television stations of countries like GHANA,LIBERIA,SOMALIA,SUDAN,CHAD,NIGER and so many others! as america senior us na so we senior some people tooo'oooh.

You  have to make comparisons based on two existing conditions . Ghana does not have the kind of resources we have even though their education ,health sector and government rank better than Nigeria's. I think its myopic to compare Naija with these war torn countries  LIBERIA,SOMALIA,SUDAN,CHAD,NIGER
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by Raymand(m): 7:57am On Dec 08, 2006
How could anyone possibly compare these two? we all know NTA is big joke! and all the other TV stations are less than 40 years old. . .
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by kliverpool(m): 8:22am On Dec 08, 2006
i still don't understand how the people ruling us think.maybe they only think of how they will make money out of every situation.NITEL has facilities in every state of our dear country fed.govt did not think of making good money out of MTEL GSM.They prefer to collect money from MTN ECONET.Just imagine if MTEL is managed well like others think about the number of us that will be working for them.i don't even know if MTEL still operate.
The same thing goes to NTA,Why cant we have NTA SPORT,NTA NEWS,NTA ENTERTAINMENT,NTA IGBO,NTA HOUSA,NTA YORUBA ETC for people that do not understand English.WHEN BBC broadcast new in Hausa from London to Nigeria.The picture quality of NTA is the worst in the whole world.NTA can not even use computer for there graphics they still use drawings on cardboard.I fill like crying sometime when i watch NTA news.when we have so many computer graduates looking for work.You don't even have to be a computer graduate before you can do wonders with power point.
Why do Nigerians have to wait till 9pm b4 we know what is going on in our nation.why cant NTA NEws be 24/7.think about number of people they will employ if they think of all these ideas.TONY IREDIA think u can do it better
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by globalaid(m): 8:26am On Dec 08, 2006
E ma fiku we oorun ke. O ga o
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by iice(f): 8:47am On Dec 08, 2006
have always loved foreign tv, sure i used to watch the local channel when i was home and there were programs i liked but usually i just dont watch local channels in most places in the world, its just a thing anyways most naijans love news, so why can't the bloody NTA be on 24/7 365days like kliverpool said.
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by jerrymania(m): 10:25am On Dec 08, 2006
This doesnt make sense at all!
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by ronnieslimz(f): 11:37am On Dec 08, 2006
@#&%@£

ok,

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by Eurphoria(f): 12:05pm On Dec 08, 2006
Nigeria can have its own version of reality show like laguna beach easliy, not a big production goes into it, before you sing of how marvelous it is, laguna has its moments of bad production, well reality shows are the cheapest things to make in tv. so yes Nigeria can have its own laguna too cheesy

I have seen many many terrible tv in America and here in the Uk. you would die from laughing when you see some really bad stuff. In general yes they have the techno advantage, but when it comes to closeness to reality and something the average can relate to Nigerian tv is not bad . Growing , but not bad. Dont forget many of these tv stations are funded by big money corporations and maybe when entrepreuneur start putting in more capital you will see a more crisp picture quality, sound etc and production all round. So well done to those trying their best in the Nigerian television industry.
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by Gettolove(m): 12:40pm On Dec 08, 2006
I think we have a problem here because i don't like our local stations too and i beleive it is not a good thing for me, although it may be because of the type and qualities of programmes they air. The day i felt bad for not watching our locals was in an interview where i was asked to answer a question about a program on NTA but i could not answer it , one of the panelists went further by asking if i watch TV at all, i had to tell i don't because i thought he might be upset if i told him i usually watch programmes on cable only.

Since then i started watching local programmes and i later realised i have been missing a lot because knowledge is knowledge no matter how it is acquired.
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by rayz101(m): 1:06pm On Dec 08, 2006
thank u very much hot-angel for word of intelligent.

cheers ray.
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by ibkn(m): 1:28pm On Dec 08, 2006
foreign tv hip hip hurray
Re: Nigerian TV vs. Foreign TV by ronnieslimz(f): 3:11pm On Dec 08, 2006
Gettolove:

I think we have a problem here because i don't like our local stations too and i beleive it is not a good thing for me, although it may be because of the type and qualities of programmes they air. The day i felt bad for not watching our locals was in an interview where i was asked to answer a question about a program on NTA but i could not answer it , one of the panelists went further by asking if i watch TV at all, i had to tell i don't because i thought he might be upset if i told him i usually watch programmes on cable only.

Since then i started watching local programmes and i later realised i have been missing a lot because knowledge is knowledge no matter how it is acquired.

interesting!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Full Length Free Nollywood Films: In The Eyes Of My Husband (1&2) / Did CTL/Trend TV Just Win The Lawsuit Against NCC And HiTV? / American Idol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.