Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria (85899 Views)

Names Of Traditional Rulers In The North / Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land / Ooni Of Ife And Oluwo Of Iwo Clash At Traditional Rulers’ Council Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Princedapace(m): 10:56am On Nov 11, 2016
rhektor:

Notice me syndrome is a tremendously terrible trait guy get help

U need help ...u that goes about insulting people..and their tribe.. U need help..
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Eastactivist: 11:06am On Nov 11, 2016
[b]One would think that anybody that can read and write has a bit of sense upstairs but your post has proved otherwise to me. What a shame... You should have remain quiet instead of displaying such voluminous ignorance.

Let me educate your history lapses...
The igbo history is well rooted and the igbo progenitor is eri who gave birth to nri and nri is the ancestral home of igbos.
Some historians believe that eri is the son of gad and gad one of the twelve sons of Jacob and Jacob son of Isaac and isaac son of Abraham and so on, and thus the Jewish ancestry belief which is never outta place. Don't be jealous already, researches are still going on grin

Now, Igbos have a standard and well structured religion and political system ran by nri Kingdom which in history predates Benin empire and is second to none to any known precolonial Kingdom in Nigeria

Also another outstanding fact is that this nri Kingdom was the last Kingdom to fall for the British.

In terms of civilization, I laugh at your ignorance, the British met igbos and regarded them as the most civilized people they ever came in contact with, yes they confessed it with their mouth and is well archived cheesy. Also go and read about the igbo ukwu bronze discovered by isaiah anozie grin. The bronze was the oldest and provides evidence of the early civilization of the igbos. Wow!!!

Now coming for who translated the first igbo Bible, it have been debunked on several occasions that ajayi Crowther was not the original translator of the Bible to igbo language but a British Anglican Thomas John Dennis translated the Bible into a "standard" "Union Igbo" by 1913 and you who claims to be well grounded in history facts not knowing this speaks more volume of your outdated and ancient cognition.

I will only advise you to leave market Edo women that talks and thinks with their anus and embrace sound education.

You can also google eze nri and tell me if there is any other kingship in southern Nigeria that predates his...

Leave market talks grin igbo today still stand tall but where is Edo and Benin today? Even one state dem no reach cheesy I wonder what will happen in the next century if they continue like this. grin [/b]

[s]
bright007:

I didnt want to respond to any post here but all your posts here reeks of sheer ignorance and stupidity and your reasoning capacity is lower than that of an embryonic cockroach.
Now listen let me school you on your history. The igbos from the south east do not know where they come from nor do they have any form of traditional leadership like other areas in pre-colonial Nigeria.
That is why an average igbo man will tell you he is from the lost tribe of Israel.if you ask them how, they can't point to any evidence to prove it , they just believe. Also amongst all the known tribes in precolonial Nigeria, every region has some form organised leadership headed by the king except the igbos. if not for the British that came and appointed all these their wool-wearing red cap chiefs, they will all be roaming in the bush like cavemen. They never had any form of cultural ingenuity that can be used to eulogize them.Bishop Ajayi Crowther ( a Yoruba man) saw their backwardness and decided to help them with education . He helped in translating the Bible into Igbo and this opened their reasoning into another error that resulted in them saying they are from Israel.
Hence , when next they mention Nigeria cultural history and leadership, kingdoms and influences are being mentioned , don't bring Igbo into it because you guys don't have any. All this Obi of Onitsha and other kingship in Igbo land started yesterday and it is the highest bidder that wins it.
[/s]
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by gregyboy(m): 11:13am On Nov 11, 2016
oni of ife shouldnt be compare to the oba of benin at all it seems the yorubas has cloud thier mind to think oduduwa came from sky at this present century that is psychotic in thier reasoning truth and fact is izoduduwa ekalederian a benin prince wondered der and u yourobas made him king

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by legacyint: 11:17am On Nov 11, 2016
Theoritical:
Seems Op smoked chicha' Oba of benin remains undoubtedly the most powerful king in Nigeria.. Others got their thrones through poltical influenced.
True talk my broda.all this cash and carry emir and ooni wen dem parade dem selves up and down like the last kpomo meat for soup.my oba remain undoubtedly the greateat.

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by steryj(m): 11:27am On Nov 11, 2016
orimsamsam:
Op wht criteria Did u use to rate them. And why should u rate oba of Benin ahead of ooni of ife
'coz is from Benin.
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Nellybank(m): 11:40am On Nov 11, 2016
Wat is this one saying? Do i look like google to you?
shabakm:
why bayesa, is bayesa kindom up to a local govt in kano, lagos, or sokoto
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by rhektor(m): 11:43am On Nov 11, 2016
Princedapace:

U need help ...u that goes about insulting people..and their tribe.. U need help..

Get help I say get help. try to apply cold water on the hurt please.

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by adexcharo(m): 12:26pm On Nov 11, 2016
Where is Soun of Ogbomoso and Oba Rilwan Akinolu of Lagos. Sikiru Adetona....
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by OlaoChi: 12:54pm On Nov 11, 2016
Eastactivist:

Guy shut up, in igbo land, Obi of Onitsha is more powerful than even sultan of sokoto let alone your ooni that is second to oba of Benin...

Southwest traditiona is influenced by Benins, go and read your history

and you read yoruba history without reading your own history? undecided

oya list the Yoruba traditions gotten from bini and provide evidence that they were indeed gotten from bini

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Eastactivist: 1:15pm On Nov 11, 2016
OlaoChi:

oya list the Yoruba traditions gotten from bini and provide evidence that they were indeed gotten from bini

Is oba a Yoruba term?

Is oduduwa not a bini prince?

What are you telling us here
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by gregyboy(m): 1:25pm On Nov 11, 2016
Eastactivist:
[b]One would think that anybody that can read and write has a bit of sense upstairs but your post has proved otherwise to me. What a shame... You should have remain quiet instead of displaying such voluminous ignorance.

Let me educate your history lapses...
The igbo history is well rooted and the igbo progenitor is eri who gave birth to nri and nri is the ancestral home of igbos.
Some historians believe that eri is the son of gad and gad one of the twelve sons of Jacob and Jacob son of Isaac and isaac son of Abraham and so on, and thus the Jewish ancestry belief which is never outta place. Don't be jealous already, researches are still going on grin

Now, Igbos have a standard and well structured religion and political system ran by nri Kingdom which in history predates Benin empire and is second to none to any known precolonial Kingdom in Nigeria

Also another outstanding fact is that this nri Kingdom was the last Kingdom to fall for the British.

In terms of civilization, I laugh at your ignorance, the British met igbos and regarded them as the most civilized people they ever came in contact with, yes they confessed it with their mouth and is well archived cheesy. Also go and read about the igbo ukwu bronze discovered by isaiah anozie grin. The bronze was the oldest and provides evidence of the early civilization of the igbos. Wow!!!

Now coming for who translated the first igbo Bible, it have been debunked on several occasions that ajayi Crowther was not the original translator of the Bible to igbo language but a British Anglican Thomas John Dennis translated the Bible into a "standard" "Union Igbo" by 1913 and you who claims to be well grounded in history facts not knowing this speaks more volume of your outdated and ancient cognition.

I will only advise you to leave market Edo women that talks and thinks with their anus and embrace sound education.

You can also google eze nri and tell me if there is any other kingship in southern Nigeria that predates his...

Leave market talks grin igbo today still stand tall but where is Edo and Benin today? Even one state dem no reach cheesy I wonder what will happen in the next century if they continue like this. grin [/b]

wars and hard ruling made many people run from benin kingdom if you say we are small what woud say about the british werent they few but conquered most country and still famous i just read the history of onitsha,agbor,warri just now and i see dat all traced the mornachy linage to the oba of benin even the onitsha dont regard themselves as igbo rather benin people and it only the obi of Onitsha that the brtish recognized in Igbo no other mornachy the rest was recently written

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by orimsamsam(m): 1:35pm On Nov 11, 2016
OlaoChi:

u dey mind the guy. Person wey no knw wetin e dey talk

3 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Eastactivist: 1:51pm On Nov 11, 2016
gregyboy:

wars and hard ruling made many people run from benin kingdom if you say we are small what woud say about the british werent they few but conquered most country and still famous i just read the history of onitsha,agbor,warri just now and i see dat all traced the mornachy linage to the oba of benin even the onitsha dont regard themselves as igbo rather benin people and it only the obi of Onitsha that the brtish recognized in Igbo no other mornachy the rest was recently written

[b]Who told you the British were few? How can you demean the great Britain and compare it with your little and no technological Savy of bini??

Please how did Obi Eze Aroli the first king of Onitsha trace his lineage to oba of Benin... What kinda poo is that cheesy

Even eze Chima an igbo migrant in Edo Kingdom when he came back met the native igbos in Onitsha though history said he has a part in founding Onitsha but he was an igbo and not an Edo, he was not an Obi of Onitsha but Obi Eze Aroli was , so how do the onitsha kingship relate to oba kingship? Abi You smoke this afternoon? grin

Onitsha people so much regard them self as igbo as they are igbo to the core, umu anambra they prefer to be called ndi onicha(onicha indigine), they will never joke with their igbo ancestry or desecrate the palace of their king or regard to have any other ancestry... Maybe you should go to Onitsha and call them Edo people and know if you will come back alive grin even on Wikipedia Onitsha page the onitsha historian made it clear. cheesy

Eze nri is the last king in Nigeria to surrender to the British with his kingdom... Go and verify...
Onitsha city was founded in 1550 but the nri Kingdom was founded in 948 and ended in 1911...

I know my history more than you can ever imagine grin[/b]
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by gregyboy(m): 2:18pm On Nov 11, 2016
Eastactivist:

[b]Who told you the British were few? How can you demean the great Britain and compare it with your little and no technological Savy of bini??

Please how did Obi Eze Aroli the first king of Onitsha trace his lineage to oba of Benin... What kinda poo is that cheesy

Even eze Chima an igbo migrant in Edo Kingdom when he came back met the native igbos in Onitsha though history said he has a part in founding Onitsha but he was an igbo and not an Edo, he was not an Obi of Onitsha but Obi Eze Aroli was , so how do the onitsha kingship relate to oba kingship? Abi You smoke this afternoon? grin

Onitsha people so much regard them self as igbo as they are igbo to the core, umu anambra they prefer to be called ndi onicha(onicha indigine), they will never joke with their igbo ancestry or desecrate the palace of their king or regard to have any other ancestry... Maybe you should go to Onitsha and call them Edo people and know if you will come back alive grin even on Wikipedia Onitsha page the onitsha historian made it clear. cheesy

Eze nri is the last king in Nigeria to surrender to the British with his kingdom... Go and verify...
Onitsha city was founded in 1550 but the nri Kingdom was founded in 948 and ended in 1911...

I know my history more than you can ever imagine grin[/b]

everybpdy view d link because the idiot is high by pepsi
http://www.google.com.ng/url?q=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onitsha&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi7rIHC5KDQAhVCcBoKHTKQAy0QFggTMAI&sig2=Y_TEcx91kWgm92T3lOQmQg&usg=AFQjCNFVgT6iOSs0vA_Ug1x6YojxqhpzdQ
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by lordyugo: 2:19pm On Nov 11, 2016
Godprotectigbos:
cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue :STUPID LIST

OVOKO LIST

ALL KINGS ARE POWERFUL WITHIN THEIR LOCALITY SO DROP THIS TRASH

IN MY AREA I DONT KW WHO IS SULTAN OF SOKOTO

for the life of me cant understand the frivolous post.
is the OP trying to say a traditional ruler can influence another region outside his kingdom or pple frm other regions are his subjects looool.
The topic should hv bn" most popular traditional titles"
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by lordyugo: 2:30pm On Nov 11, 2016
rhektor:

Obi of Wetin? When did Obiship start in that Erosion-threatened land? Thatch roof Republic people sef undecided

if they tell u to fight that afonja genetic malfunction of fear of traveling out ur diabolic brown roof republic to go nd make money and be ur own KING ,u wont hear but u rather be an alaye collecting owomida for ur masters called monarchs
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by lordyugo: 2:38pm On Nov 11, 2016
slurryeye:

I will rather be an ignorant than being an Osu

the hilarious thin is dat outside nairaland ur afonja tribe dnt knw u exist and yes u are really wallowing in ignorance for not knowing wen to use the term "osu".
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by OlaoChi: 2:44pm On Nov 11, 2016
Eastactivist:
Is oba a Yoruba term?
Is oduduwa not a bini prince?
What are you telling us here

yea
no
and I'm telling you something wink

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by oba2flex(m): 3:17pm On Nov 11, 2016
deewhone:
This alaafin too like small small girls
grin
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by slurryeye: 3:52pm On Nov 11, 2016
lordyugo:

the hilarious thin is dat outside nairaland ur afonja tribe dnt knw u exist and yes u are really wallowing in ignorance for not knowing wen to use the term "osu".

Just one question bro, Are you Osu or Ndiala?

If you can't answer, then fuc.k off my comment

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by lordyugo: 4:49pm On Nov 11, 2016
slurryeye:

Just one question bro, Are you Osu or Ndiala?

If you can't answer, then fuc.k off my comment

yawns*.if u want to use spiteful igbo words do more research on it, so u dnt graduate frm a bigot to a re.tarded bigot
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Fourwinds: 5:12pm On Nov 11, 2016
ajokebelle:
The Late Oni would have been the Third or second most powerful king if he were still alive, but this present modern day Oba has reduced some of the respect attached to the Title with his waka about, unnecessary familiarity and programs that are not really necessary, attending ceremonies upandan.

I think the Emir is also second on the list due
to the fact that he was once the governor of CBN, so that added more power to his position.
it is not about d individual but d stool they occupy....if u talk of d late Ooni of Ife what about d late Oba of Benin
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by slurryeye: 5:59pm On Nov 11, 2016
lordyugo:

yawns*.if u want to use spiteful igbo words do more research on it, so u dnt graduate frm a bigot to a re.tarded bigot

Well, does Osus exist in Igboland till these days or not?

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by maximus10: 7:07pm On Nov 11, 2016
I need mtn recharg card 750 grin
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by bantudra: 7:51pm On Nov 11, 2016
gregyboy:

dont mind dem..we are all bini..even the ol west africa is bini..just different religions,languages and reasoning..

i once saw a documentary over cameroon,i saw a tribe that wear something similar and a horn like the igbos in the east..
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by rhektor(m): 8:38pm On Nov 11, 2016
lordyugo:

if they tell u to fight that afonja genetic malfunction of fear of traveling out ur diabolic brown roof republic to go nd make money and be ur own KING ,u wont hear but u rather be an alaye collecting owomida for ur masters called monarchs

And what on earth made you think with your empty cramen that I've got been to onitcha before? To the iPod whoever is not in their erosion threatened gullies has not traveled before. What is even in that Thatch roof Republic that would warrant anyone longing to see? Mtchewwwwwwwww. Get sense dude, I've been to onitcha several times, Owerri several times I lived in rivers state , even Bayelsa. So what's ur point? How does this your thrash answer the questions I asked before?

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by ImperialYoruba: 3:23am On Nov 12, 2016
There is an interview somewhere online given by Alaafin.

In a meeting of traditional rulers hosted by Abacha in Aso Rock, he said sitting was arranged by rank. Alaafin said first in the first row of chairs in front are the first tier Kings. This is where he sat.

This gives insight into the fact that there is no first, second or third most important or King of Kings...but rather a tier!

It would be correct to rank Kings by tier, but not by nominal value.
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Otarum(m): 9:52am On Nov 12, 2016
where is the olu of warri?
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:25pm On Nov 12, 2016
fratermathy:

Stop this Olu of Warri BS. His kingdom is too small, he is not influential and the only thing he has is the history behind the Itsekiri monarchy. As far as Nigeria is concerned, Olu of Warri is not among top 10, maybe he may make top 20.
Whilst I may say you're correct, I still feel a king from Delta should be in the top 10 in any case. As we all know, the Olu of Warri is the number one prominent king in the state.

# jolomiurenyi
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Legitman22(m): 8:38am On Nov 15, 2016
So no IJAW, CALABAR, or IGBO king made d list. This list is fake, fake, fake.
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by helpishere(m): 1:39am On Dec 26, 2016
My take again on this topic is this, if a king of a kingdom dies and a total stranger inherits the kingdom, ie, Emir of Kano, Sultan of Sokoto, Ooni of Ife, Alafin of Oyo, these are no kingdoms. These kings are turn by turn. Bayero's son did not inherit the Emirship of Kano, ditto Sijuade's son but the title was given to another family who was not even the first son, Dasuki was deposed as Sultan and another took over, not his son but a cousin or relative. But the Oba of Benin cannot be selected. The day the first son of the Oba is born, that is the day the next king is known. And he will be trained in the ways and manners of his people. There are only two kingdoms in the world: The Benin Kingdom and the United Kingdom. These two kingdoms interface with each other in values and traditions though the Benin Kingdom is higher. They have Prince of Wales and Edaiken of Uselu. These posts are for crown Princes, waiting to take over the throne though Prince Charles don tire for him mama. The brothers of both Kings are made Dukes and Enogies to rule over smaller villages. When the brother of Queen Elizabeth abdicated the throne, he was replaced by a lady, Queen Elizabeth. That is an abomination in Benin Kingdom. When Oba Ovoranmen was banished to Calabar, his son did nothing but waited until his father's death before he became King. And from the first king to the 40th king of Benin Kingdom, they are from Father to Son just like the kingdom of Judah in the Bible whose kings were Father to Son while Israel's kings were by selection. The Sultan, Kano Emir and Ooni are political titles, they never knew that they will be king at any point in time. These are the Nairabet winners. They gambled and won and they make themselves visible by commenting on every issue. You dont hear the Oba of Benin do that. He has Chiefs from the Palace that speaks on his behalf. And these Chiefs are also from known Houses who inherited the titles from their fathers. Benin Empire was visible up to Ghana. Togo's Presidents always come to Benin City because the Eyademas claim that they come from Benin. There are three Universities of Benin in West Africa, One in Togo, One in Benin Republic and one in Benin City. The Benin Republic was known as Dahomey but they later changed their name to Benin to recognize their origin. Benin Empire might be small but it was commanding a lot of kingdoms and peoples. The United Kingdom was less than 45m people but they were in control of India comprising of Bangladesh, Pakistan and India which in today's census figures are more than 2.5 b people today. A small 3 countries in One with less than 45m people were controlling over 5 b people including Nigeria, Canada, Kenya and many countries of their COMMONWEALTH. What led to the fall of the British Empire is linked to the curse that was placed on the kingdom by the Benin Iwebo shrines for invading the Benin Kingdom and carting away all their artefacts both from the Holy Aruosa and the king's palace and the banishment of the king into exile. If you read Jeremiah in the Bible, that scenario was described as King Nebuchadnezzer of Babylon who was sent to destroy the kingdom and take the king into exile. The effect of that curse led the king of to abdicate the throne because of a divorced American lady.. And the current quagmire facing Prince Charles who is not preferred to be king but the grandson. Queen Elizabeth came to Benin City in the 60s to beg Oba Akenzua for forgiveness and I have no information if it was done else they would have voluntarily returned the artefacts they stole from the kingdom. Make I go rest. Merry Christmas to all citizens from the Bini Kingdom and long live the 40th Oba of Benin, Ewuare 11 the Great.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State / Blood Money: How Real Is It: Share Ur Stories. / Okrika Iria Ceremony For Virgins Commences (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.