Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,097 members, 7,953,343 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:41 PM

UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment (16749 Views)

"Frustrating Queues @ ATM Centres" / What's The Best Courier Company For Shipping Within Nigeria? / Bad Experience with FedEx US to Nigeria Courier Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Tegese: 3:26pm On Nov 09, 2009
phuck_NL:

I wonder what it would have cost you to simply hold on to your passport. The whole thing seems/smells shady.
Is it too much for you to hold on to your Nigerian passport. Why leave it in Nigeria. You are not the first dual citizen nah.
Every other dual citizen that i know holds on to his/her passport[b]s[/b]
This is the most unreasonable comment in this thread that means a lot

phuck_NL:

@the bolded.
Here's where you are wrong:
It is everyones business. It wouldn't have been if he didn't POST THE FREAKING THING ON HERE.
Cant this person reason better?
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by i5r431: 4:34pm On Nov 09, 2009
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by phuckNL: 5:00pm On Nov 09, 2009
^^^^^
What the hell are you talking about. If it is no ones business why does he need to solicit for help or advise anyone.
Why would you leave your international passport at home. If it is not shady then it is STUPID.
Why couldn't he hold on to the passport the same way he held on to whichever passport he used to travel.

If you dont want people to ask questions about your business, you don't air your freaking business in public. KAJIKWO!!
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by i5r431: 9:46pm On Nov 09, 2009
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by OAM4J: 3:03am On Nov 10, 2009
Look guys, I think all these energies should be channel towards UPS and how we can encourage the OP to get justice.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by busybody20: 3:08pm On Nov 11, 2009
@ VicJustice,

I am so sorry to hear this. embarassed sad sad

Can i please advice you to remove the all attachments which displays personal details. . Some of the attachments werent covered properly and i can easily figure out some personal details.

Remember, Its a PUBLIC forum
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 8:44pm On Nov 19, 2009
busybody20:

@ VicJustice,

I am so sorry to hear this. embarassed sad sad

Can i please advice you to remove the all attachments which displays personal details. . Some of the attachments werent covered properly and i can easily figure out some personal details.

Remember, Its a PUBLIC forum
   Thank you for your thoughtful advice. Actually, i wouldn't have bothered about hiding personal information as long as it's not offensive, it's not incriminating and does not contravene data protection acts. And if you knew me earlier, you'd have realised that i used to have my NairaLand profile filled with my genuine information and photo until i was ridiculed; and then i observed that most members are unanimous, and the few that have (even their photos only) in their profiles are often mocked. This said, i really do appreciate your concern.

[size=20pt]UPDATE: 19/11/2009[/size]

[b]After much delays and negligence, UPS eventually sent me an email with a "Claim Form" attachment in which they asked me to fill the "lesser value" of the lost contents of my package.

It was a difficult and unascertainable assignment since the (main) lost items (being travel documents) do not really have financial values; so i was hesitant to fill the form until i had my solicitor's advice. It's regrettable that my solicitor can do little or nothing from Ireland since the shipment contract was not signed in Ireland, but in Nigeria. However, acting on advice of my Irish solicitor, i filled in the Claims Form entering the costs of replacement documents and then sent it by fax to London. Meanwhile, a solicitor in Nigeria is preparing a law suit for breach of contract and all other losses, damages, stress, expenses and inconveniences that UPS has caused us.

Now, after sending back the claim form together with 17 pages of other supporting documents with my passport visas and endorsed pages, i received no acknowledgement regarding its receipt (it was as if UPS staff only care about the goods and services that are on course, and nobody cares much about the ones that have gone wrong) it's so bitter and frustrating that i had to put pressure on them in order to make them act on my case. It was on one of my pressure calls (last week) that a UPS staff advised that they received my claim forms and letters, and that they would respond to it this week. I waited all week until i rang them today, and another silly woman told me bluntly that UPS is not oblige to give me update of the situation and that they would respond only to the sender in Nigeria.

"Very well, have you given him the update yet?" I questioned.

"Like i said before, i don't have to explain to you what we are doing with our customer." She insisted.

I understood that she was not ready to listen to me, and that she was the kind who wanted to stick to her supposed rights and beliefs and would not want to know that her other colleagues have been corresponding with me: her behaviour made me assume that UPS might have issued the settlement to the sender. But a call to the sender in Nigeria confirms that there he has been left out of the whole issues since the beginning
[/b]
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by OAM4J: 8:57pm On Nov 19, 2009
Thanks for the update bro. Am interested in this. Just don’t give up. Please let the sender also put pressure from Naija end with continuous letter from the lawyer. like I earlier suggested, let the sender also hint them that he might take the matter to the court of public opinion, involving the press. Trust me they hate scandals and hate to be in the news for the wrong reasons.

All the best.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by kood: 7:46am On Nov 20, 2009
To my thinking, UPS London or Ireland can do little or nothing in your case. You can only ask them if they have recieved your package which they already told you no. The call from London is to let you know that they dont have your package. In most case I know you have to resolve the problem from the point of delivery. They are the people who will account for your package. If your package is missing they are the one the sender must put pressure on to find out where the package is since it is a registered mail.
If the claim to have posted the package, the sender will question and demand for comfirmation of the package being in the final destination. Even if the package is missing along the line maybe in London, it is their responsibility to track down the package and inforn the sender the status of the package. This is part of the agreement which both them and the sender agreed upon before sending the document.
Good luck!
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 5:47pm On Nov 20, 2009
kood:

To my thinking, UPS London or Ireland can do little or nothing in your case. You can only ask them if they have recieved your package which they already told you no. The call from London is to let you know that they dont have your package. In most case I know you have to resolve the problem from the point of delivery. They are the people who will account for your package. If your package is missing they are the one the sender must put pressure on to find out where the package is since it is a registered mail.
If the claim to have posted the package, the sender will question and demand for comfirmation of the package being in the final destination. Even if the package is missing along the line maybe in London,
it is their responsibility to track down the package and inforn the sender the status of the package. This is part of the agreement which both them and the sender agreed upon before sending the document.
Good luck!
   Thank you for your concern. But it seems you've not followed the stories; my posts in this matter are written in blue in case you want to read between the lines. However, (like i posted initially,) it will interest you to know that UPS, London manager did inform me that "the package never actually left Nigeria", and that there was an attempt of deception by a UPS staff in Nigerian who used bogus tracking number to make it seem that the package arrived Dublin before it vanished.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by kood: 7:50pm On Nov 20, 2009
Maybe I didnt understand your story clear but I think you didnt understand my reply too. the word 'if" I used in my reply was a general statement. I am not saying your package is not missing. but I am saying that you should put more pressure on UPS in Nigeria. They are in best position to explain to you what has happened to you package. I understand clearly that you said you package was tampered. Which I stated in one of my initial post that you are just a victim of corrupt country.
I have had similar problem but in my case it was just a delay of package and it was just between eu countries. I have to be phoning the courier service in the sending country and they assumed me that they will track my package and inform me in due course where it was. Which they did and I finally got my package with an appology from the country it left and not from the recieving country.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by JeSoul(f): 7:53pm On Nov 20, 2009
Vicjustice:
[size=20pt]UPDATE: 19/11/2009[/size]

After much delays and negligence, UPS eventually sent me an email with a "Claim Form" attachment in which they asked me to fill the "lesser value" of the lost contents of my package.

It was a difficult and unascertainable assignment since the (main) lost items (being travel documents) do not really have financial values; so i was hesitant to fill the form until i had my solicitor's advice. It's regrettable that my solicitor can do little or nothing from Ireland since the shipment contract was not signed in Ireland, but in Nigeria. However, acting on advice of my Irish solicitor, i filled in the Claims Form entering the costs of replacement documents and then sent it by fax to London. Meanwhile, a solicitor in Nigeria is preparing a law suit for breach of contract and all other losses, damages, stress, expenses and inconveniences that UPS has caused us.

Now, after sending back the claim form together with 17 pages of other supporting documents with my passport visas and endorsed pages, i received no acknowledgement regarding its receipt (it was as if UPS staff only care about the goods and services that are on course, and nobody cares much about the ones that have gone wrong) it's so bitter and frustrating that i had to put pressure on them in order to make them act on my case. It was on one of my pressure calls (last week) that a UPS staff advised that they received my claim forms and letters, and that they would respond to it this week. I waited all week until i rang them today, and another silly woman told me bluntly that UPS is not oblige to give me update of the situation and that they would respond only to the sender in Nigeria.

"Very well, have you given him the update yet?" I questioned.

"Like i said before, i don't have to explain to you what we are doing with our customer." She insisted.

I understood that she was not ready to listen to me, and that she was the kind who wanted to stick to her supposed rights and beliefs and would not want to know that her other colleagues have been corresponding with me: her behaviour made me assume that UPS might have issued the settlement to the sender. But a call to the sender in Nigeria confirms that there he has been left out of the whole issues since the beginning

this is just sad. Vic I'm sorry you've had to endure all this drama, please keep us updated on how it all eventually plays out.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 11:39am On Dec 01, 2009
[size=20pt]   UPDATE: 01/12/2009. I MISSED A TRIP[/size]   [b]
   After filing and filling my claim forms to UPS London headquarters, i waited impatiently for their response, and i later received a phone call in which a lady acknowledged the receipt of my faxed claim forms and that their insurance department was looking into it. But after that, i heard nothing from UPS for several days until i made a phone call on which another lady crudely advised that i'm not entitled to a right of claim and that the claim should be filled by the shipper in Nigeria. To me, i think this is fair enough, but why have they wasted my lacking time and efforts by sending me the claim forms and making me do the paper-works when they should have known who should be doing them?
   In the form that i filled to them, i attached a personal letter with copies of my family travel tickets addressing the needs for UPS to respond urgently since i booked two holiday trips with my family using my Nigerian passport: one was a return trip to Riga, Latvia for the 30th of November (which i've just missed), and the other is for Lagos, Nigeria just before the Christmas which is also at risk.
   And after the last conversation (which i narrated in my previous post), i knew things are going to be more complicated: how come UPS Nigeria never bothered to contact the shipper (not even once) to inform him of the lost of his own package which he delivered to them for safe postage? However, i instructed him to contact UPS nigeria and proceed with the claim.
   Meanwhile, the state commissioner of Police had ruled that as long as UPS is a legitimate corporate body, the matter is therefore considered a civil case and that no arrest would be made except UPS arrests its own staff. Actually, the CP is absolutely right, i knew it should be so, but it was on the advice of a solicitor that my brother tried to involve the CP.
   An interesting event occurred when the shipper went to the UPS office in which the postage agreement was originally made and demanded to see the management, but the counter staff who knew about his plight tried to counter his demand, saying that he got no business with their manager. But he challenged them with raised voice which the manager heard and ordered his staff to let him into his office.
   The management was surprised to hear what happened and was very bitter that their staff had not lodged any report entry about the incident, he promised to investigate and prosecute whoever perpetrated the act. This development made me understand that the UPS staff that collaborated and stole my package must have been relieved while i was busy corresponding with London regarding the issues which would have seen them being punished had it been dealt with in Nigeria. . .

Now, the shipper has refilled and re-filed the claim forms since (on) the 20th of November to Lagos Headquarters, but he hasn't received a word from UPS, not even an acknowledgement response. He will be going to the office again today.

[/b]
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by igbonla(m): 8:24pm On Dec 01, 2009
Naija UPS office is not a true UPS branch just an agency, somebody linked up with them abroad, registered with them to represent them here and the rest is history. I am not saying they are not liable, just that I can never trust them to the point of doing business with them.
It's naija, your brother or whoever could even get beaten for doing to much gragra, olboy, e no easy to survive for this jungle!

All the best.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Tegese: 12:32am On Dec 02, 2009
igbonla:

It's naija, your brother or whoever could even get beaten for doing to much gragra, olboy, e no easy to survive for this jungle!

All the best.
O boy eh!
i was glad when i heard he was dealing with the ups in london, i expected good justice then, but now i wonder what justice he would get in nigeria, but i expect vic to be more than capable to drag the case with ups. people, should BEWARE OF UPS NIGERIA!
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by zoebaby: 2:11pm On Dec 10, 2009
Hi Tegese,

Please email me on zoebabywells@hotmail.com. I have personal matters to discuss with you.

Thank you for your help
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Tegese: 11:27am On Mar 26, 2010
any update on the situation, vic? like i soppose many others are, i am just curious to know how it went or how it is going
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by OAM4J: 4:45am On Apr 02, 2010
Tegese:

any update on the situation, vic? like i soppose many others are, i am just curious to know how it went or how it is going

Yeah, me too.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 1:04am On Jun 02, 2010
Guys, the matter is still going on, i'll give you update in due time
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by demi2008(f): 2:08pm On Dec 10, 2010
any updates yet
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 2:42pm On Dec 10, 2010
demi2008:

any updates yet
   [b]Lol on how you dug out this tread from the buttom-less pit. grin grin grin
   Well, it's a very good question, there is a twist in development, the case has since be going on in Nigeria.
   Could you believe that UPS in Lagos is now claiming that the package was held by NDLEA officials "attached to their lagos office" because, there was cocaine concealed in it?   The case has now been transferred to a High Court section that deals with narcotic issues and this development has slowed down the judicial process.
   Actually, my lawyer (a Senior Advocate Of Nigeria, SAN) was only laughing at them, we will be suing them for deformation of character after getting our claims on the damage they caused due to their failure to deliver the package in due dates.
   The Judge has ordered UPS lawyers to produce the package for analysis, but they don't even have it, they can't even provide it, they insisted that it was with the NDLEA. And when asked why NDLEA officials did not arrest the man who posted it, they said it is not up to UPS to know why NDLEA did not take any action.
   The fact is, UPS is only looking for a way to avoid responsibility for the damage they have caused, and they are doing everything to avoid justice; there is no report from NDLEA officials regarding the claims, and even if there would be, we are ready to sue NDLEA along for holding on to a genuine package; but i doubt it will come to that since the judge is not convinced by the ups STORY
[/b]
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by eghost247(m): 3:56pm On Dec 10, 2010
Ah Vicjustice
i feel bad u shouldnt be in this situation
sighs
poor u
hope everything works out
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by xreal: 5:20pm On Dec 10, 2010
@ vic
This is no good.
Imagine how a simple issue turns a complex one.
This is really annoying.
It's over a year now.

UPS(nigeria) got no point, whatever the case, they should provide the package first.

NIPOST may take longer time for delivery, but its safe posting such through them.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by osarodon(m): 4:48pm On May 26, 2011
Vicjustice,
How did this case now end up.

Vicjustice:

Lol on how you dug out this tread from the buttom-less pit. grin grin grin
   Well, it's a very good question, there is a twist in development, the case has since be going on in Nigeria.
   Could you believe that UPS in Lagos is now claiming that the package was held by NDLEA officials "attached to their lagos office" because, there was cocaine concealed in it?   The case has now been transferred to a High Court section that deals with narcotic issues and this development has slowed down the judicial process.
   Actually, my lawyer (a Senior Advocate Of Nigeria, SAN) was only laughing at them, we will be suing them for deformation of character after getting our claims on the damage they caused due to their failure to deliver the package in due dates.
   The Judge has ordered UPS lawyers to produce the package for analysis, but they don't even have it, they can't even provide it, they insisted that it was with the NDLEA. And when asked why NDLEA officials did not arrest the man who posted it, they said it is not up to UPS to know why NDLEA did not take any action.
   The fact is, UPS is only looking for a way to avoid responsibility for the damage they have caused, and they are doing everything to avoid justice; there is no report from NDLEA officials regarding the claims, and even if there would be, we are ready to sue NDLEA along for holding on to a genuine package; but i doubt it will come to that since the judge is not convinced by the ups STORY
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by OAM4J: 5:26pm On May 30, 2011
yeah, any update?
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Nobody: 9:16am On Jul 31, 2011
Vic, any updates? Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but we're still curious to know how things ended (or if you eventually gave up).
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 7:01pm On Jul 31, 2011
Siena:

Vic, any updates? Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but we're still curious to know how things ended (or if you eventually gave up).
OAM4J:

yeah, any update?
osarodon:

Vicjustice,
How did this case now end up.

[b]   Given up is not an option, we've gone too far and are now on the verge of victory.
   Before i narrate the development, i like to say my opinion that, had it been i am dealing with the UPS in Ireland, the issue would have been concluded long ago, and we (my family and i) would have been paid a due compensation for our forfeited flight tickets and the lost holidays that we suffered due to UPS' failure. But what a shame it is for the UPS in Nigeria to have gone so low and made all sorts of slanderous accusations on their costumer in efforts to avoid justice:
   Previously, i wrote about how the UPS solicitors had made a false claim that the posted package was intercepted by the NDLEA officials who they claimed were attached to their branch in Lagos because, "the package contained cocaine" and therefore, they deny responsibility for its loss. My solicitors were expecting UPS to collaborate with some non-entities who would support their claims that the package was indeed seized by them for containing cocaine, and therefore, they had threatened to take legal action against the NDLEA as well. But it might not come to that as the NDLEA seems to deny any involvement with the package and its disappearance.
   Now, the case is still going on with UPS doing everything in their power to delay its progress, but trust me, we're equal (if not more than competent) to the task. The last they did was to demand that the case be referred to a Federal High Court in Lagos claiming that any case that involves drugs is supposed to be a Federal Case. But the High Court judge in Benin City had ruled that there is no evidence that the package ever contained drugs and he continued:

". . .in the absence of any such record by the NDLEA that the package contained drugs, i do not accept that there was ever any drug involved, and i reckon that this claim was apparently an afterthought by the UPS to excuse or deny their responsibilities even at the cost of according innocent citizens as drug peddlers. . ., i hereby dismiss the drug claims".

The drug issue was the reason for the prolonged delays, our solicitors was fighting to clear that out of the way before we would then be eligible to make our claims for damages. Aside other delays, it took about 4 months between the date that the UPS requested that the case be transferred to Lagos and the date that the request was declined, and the drug claims were ruled out. And now that we have defeated UPS in that regard, we are optimistic that our compensations are probably a hearing or two away and we are now pressing charges on two ground: (1), for the lost package and the damages that we suffered as a result, and (2), for according us international drug peddlers.
[/b]
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by OAM4J: 6:08am On Aug 01, 2011
Very Good!
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by osarodon(m): 6:12am On Aug 01, 2011
Brother don't give up, [size=24pt]UPS are losers and will continue to lose[/size]
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 8:59am On Aug 01, 2011
[b]   Before the law suit, the tracking number was working fine, which means, you could track and see the deceitful records that they had for the postage. But as soon as they heard from my solicitor, all that changed: The criminal minded UPS managements had immediately eliminated every trace and record of the transition from their website in an effort to conceal every evidence against them: and even the records that i saved in my computer documents have either become blank or they are unprintable. But little would they have expected that i already printed every needed documents and the tracer reports before my solicitors took the lawsuit action. Somehow i wonder if they thought they're dealing with a person who does not have computer with internet assess and a printer.
   Well, the fact is, if i did not print these documents before they made that move, the documents (even though they were saved in my computer) would have been print-protected, but fortunately, i had every document printed earlier: and to their shame, the bogus tracer report (which they did not want the court to see) suggested that the package already arrived Dublin before it got missing, contrary to their later claim that the package was intercepted by the NDLEA in Nigeria.
   See how low in mentality Nigerians are when it comes to business and costumers services, what western company would descend so low and take slanderous measures to tarnish their costumers in attempts to deny their responsibilities? Most reasonable people would duly compensate an offended costumer and even apologise after all in attempts to regain trust, but Nigerians, with their evil minds would do anything in their selfishness without giving a thought to the pains they make others suffer.
[/b]
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by N101: 2:38am On Aug 02, 2011
Apart from the whole story (from the time the parcel got lost) sounding crazy, the fact that something so simple has taken almost two years to resolve is a damning indictment of the judicial system in Nigeria. 

That a company with international connections like UPS could have lawyers representing their staff who blatantly lie can only hurt the company's reputation.  I would love someone in UPS' Head Office to read this and see what is being done in their name.

When this is resolved I hope you do write to their head office (providing copies). They need to be aware of what's going on.
Re: UPS Courier: My Frustrating Disappointment by Vicjustice: 10:58am On Aug 02, 2011
   I'm actually considering making this matter also known to people who do not use the internet in Nigeria, and that includes, publishing it in the newspapers media. Please, i will appreciate suggestions of the appropriate newspaper companies. Anyone, please?

[size=15pt]I want to use this opportunity to thank all those who have stood behind me to encourage in the fighting of my case with the notorious UPS, and i wish to assure you that, though UPS would do anything shamefully in resistance, but i will fight it to the end and that nothing short of victory will i take out of this case. Thank you all!!![/size]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution / Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos / What Immediately Comes To Your Mind When You Get Money?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.