Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,708 members, 7,824,007 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (123) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (637874 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by phreakabit(m): 6:35am On Aug 20, 2014
lomaxx:

I assume the anti-malarial drug used was an artemisinin-based therapy. If this was the case, Resistance of falciparum malaria to artemisinin therapy is an increasing global concern. The most obvious feature is the delay in rate of clearing parasites totally from the body- which is now often indicated by persistence of symptoms after treatment (especially fever [which becomes low grade from the initial high grade at acute stage]) . I've seen a few cases.

He should manage the fever with Panadol. I prefer Ibuprofen- antipyretic action is more potent.
He will be fine in no time.

Why thanks Doctor, you sure have been helpful. As a matter of fact the treatment therapy used was an oral dosage of artemether and lumefantrine pills. I'd ask him to monitor his situation and I will keep you posted.
Best Regards
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 20, 2014
lomaxx:

Are you eating well?
Are you passing stool well?
Have you noticed any swollen lymph nodes? (You know what a lymph node is right?)
Running temperature?
How long have you been noticed the symptoms? I'll appreciate if you can state when each symptom was noticed?

What else have you noticed? No matter how slight

I do eat well, pass stool well
I dont know wat lymph node is
It's been like six months now since I started experiencing the above stated.

Also experiencing rise in temperature of the body (body hotness)
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by phreakabit(m): 7:32pm On Aug 20, 2014
lomaxx:

I assume the anti-malarial drug used was an artemisinin-based therapy. If this was the case, Resistance of falciparum malaria to artemisinin therapy is an increasing global concern. The most obvious feature is the delay in rate of clearing parasites totally from the body- which is now often indicated by persistence of symptoms after treatment (especially fever [which becomes low grade from the initial high grade at acute stage]) . I've seen a few cases.

He should manage the fever with Panadol. I prefer Ibuprofen- antipyretic action is more potent.
He will be fine in no time.

BTW doc just found out from him that the night fevers do come with fast heart beats too. Not too fast but fast.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 8:50pm On Aug 20, 2014
phreakabit:

BTW doc just found out from him that the night fevers do come with fast heart beats too. Not too fast but fast.

I went over the history again. Something is striking. This is how the symptoms progressed : Ear congestion& Headaches => Low grade fever, neck pain, constipation, rumbling tummy.

Quick questions:
Just before the ear congestion, did he have a nasal congestion, a sore throat, or a cough?

Was his neck painful and stiff at the same time?

When he had constipation, did it resolve with frequent bowel motions?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 8:53pm On Aug 20, 2014
ijinlove20:

I do eat well, pass stool well
I dont know wat lymph node is
It's been like six months now since I started experiencing the above stated.

Also experiencing rise in temperature of the body (body hotness)

Do you sweat excessively at night?
How old are you?
Are you in any routine drugs?
Do you eat or thirst excessively?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by phreakabit(m): 9:03pm On Aug 20, 2014
lomaxx:

I went over the history again. Something is striking. This is how the symptoms progressed : Ear congestion& Headaches => Low grade fever, neck pain, constipation, rumbling tummy.

Quick questions:
Just before the ear congestion, did he have a nasal congestion, a sore throat, or a cough?

Was his neck painful and stiff at the same time?

When he had constipation, did it resolve with frequent bowel motions?

No Doc, no nasal congestion. Very mild sore throat nothing serious just discomforting. Yes stiff and painful neck, actually started from the hip thought it was because I had seated in a tight vehicle the day before, but then it stopped and the neck pain started that same day.Nope constipation remained for some days even after bowel movements but went away.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 9:46pm On Aug 20, 2014
phreakabit:

No Doc, no nasal congestion. Very mild sore throat nothing serious just discomforting. Yes stiff and painful neck, actually started from the hip thought it was because I had seated in a tight vehicle the day before, but then it stopped and the neck pain started that same day.Nope constipation remained for some days even after bowel movements but went away.

tried moving your thigh at the hip joint and it was painful?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by phreakabit(m): 9:53pm On Aug 20, 2014
lomaxx:

tried moving your thigh at the hip joint and it was painful?

Yes doc, I did try to move it and it hurt. But then it stopped and the neck pain started. You might be confused at why I am not speaking in third person anymore. Well I am the actual person with the symptoms. My brother posted on my behalf last night .
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 10:55pm On Aug 20, 2014
phreakabit:

Yes doc, I did try to move it and it hurt. But then it stopped and the neck pain started. You might be confused at why I am not speaking in third person anymore. Well I am the actual person with the symptoms. My brother posted on my behalf last night .

The sequale is very indicative of a resolving suspected aseptic viral meningitis. You had a sore throat(pharyngitis) which is mostly caused by enteroviruses- (could have been bacterial) which must have spread to your meninges and caused an irritation ( obvious by headache, neck stiffness, neck pain).

A CSF lab picture may be beneficial in nailing the exact cause earlier on. It's less likely now - because the symptoms are resolving and you've had an initial antibiotic therapy.

However, the clinical picture shows symptoms are resolving meaning the course is self-limiting. You don't have to do much- except manage conservatively. I still think you should get Ibuprofen. You can consult with your Physician for further advise.

I had earlier assumed that it was malaria since there was a coincidence of symptoms resolving and start of anti-malaria drugs. Obviously it wasn't. Best of luck.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by sisiafrika(f): 11:34pm On Aug 20, 2014
Who can help on Malaria prophylaxis? I'm intolerant to chloroquinine. Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 12:17am On Aug 21, 2014
sisiafrika: Who can help on Malaria prophylaxis? I'm intolerant to chloroquinine. Thanks

Sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine 1tab qWeek
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Kindy: 1:39am On Aug 21, 2014
Dear Doctors,
Greetings to you all! Please can you advice my relative(Man) on this fertility test below, he also did scrotal scan which came out normal. His Doctor says he cannot recomment any treatment, only option is IVF, they've been TTC for 2years.

LH 16.4miu/ml (1.2-9),FSH 14.9miu/ml (1.0-14.0),PROLACTIN 20.9ng/ml (3.0-14.7),TESTOSTERONE 2.9ng/ml (3.0-10).

Thank you!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by sisiafrika(f): 8:13am On Aug 21, 2014
lomaxx:

Sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine 1tab qWeek
thanks, u mean 4times a week? Can't I use Artemether+Lumefantrine? Sorry for bothering.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 9:13am On Aug 21, 2014
sisiafrika: thanks, u mean 4times a week? Can't I use Artemether+Lumefantrine? Sorry for bothering.

You said prophylaxis right? S-P is good for prophylaxis.

QWeek- One tablet per week.

A-L is for treatment.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by sisiafrika(f): 9:43am On Aug 21, 2014
lomaxx:

You said prophylaxis right? S-P is good for prophylaxis.

QWeek- One tablet per week.

A-L is for treatment.
alright sir. Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gr8solex(m): 11:09am On Aug 21, 2014
Doc kindly assist pls, since last thur, I av experience all this symptoms progressively: muscle pain(arm - after a tedious work), weakness, mild fever, apollo(am using chlorophenicol ye drop) and now a burning sensation internally expecially my chest and around my left rib. Had malaria test but appeared no MP was found. Right now am taking Gestid Suspension to relief me of the heart burn. Wot else do I need to do pls as am feeling very uncomfortable. Thks for ur quick response.

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 11:28am On Aug 21, 2014
Kindy: Dear Doctors,
Greetings to you all! Please can you advice my relative(Man) on this fertility test below, he also did scrotal scan which came out normal. His Doctor says he cannot recomment any treatment, only option is IVF, they've been TTC for 2years.

LH 16.4miu/ml (1.2-9),FSH 14.9miu/ml (1.0-14.0),PROLACTIN 20.9ng/ml (3.0-14.7),TESTOSTERONE 2.9ng/ml (3.0-10).

Thank you!

Kindy: Dear Doctors,

Thank you!

The cause of his problem is very clear- it's staring me in the face. His prolactin level is abnormally high and that alone is enough to impair his fertility. Bringing down the prolactin levels to normal is sufficient to restore his fertility. The other details are beyond the scope of this page.

Send me a mail : medicalmatata@gmail.com
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Lagusta(m): 12:35pm On Aug 21, 2014
lomaxx:

The cause of his problem is very clear- it's staring me in the face. His prolactin level is abnormally high and that alone is enough to impair his fertility. Bringing down the prolactin levels to normal is sufficient to restore his fertility. The other details are beyond the scope of this page.

dont you think its better for him to see an endocrinologist??
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Kindy: 1:09pm On Aug 21, 2014
lomaxx:

Thank you Doctor, I will write you!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by phreakabit(m): 12:42am On Aug 22, 2014
lomaxx:

The sequale is very indicative of a resolving suspected aseptic viral meningitis. You had a sore throat(pharyngitis) which is mostly caused by enteroviruses- (could have been bacterial) which must have spread to your meninges and caused an irritation ( obvious by headache, neck stiffness, neck pain).

A CSF lab picture may be beneficial in nailing the exact cause earlier on. It's less likely now - because the symptoms are resolving and you've had an initial antibiotic therapy.

However, the clinical picture shows symptoms are resolving meaning the course is self-limiting. You don't have to do much- except manage conservatively. I still think you should get Ibuprofen. You can consult with your Physician for further advise.

I had earlier assumed that it was malaria since there was a coincidence of symptoms resolving and start of anti-malaria drugs. Obviously it wasn't. Best of luck.

Doc can you please then explain the muscle weakness and aches? Has low grade fever earlier, with mild typhoid like aching muscles. . . Temperature is absolutely normal now but muscles still ache upon simple tasks and I feel hot inside.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 1:42pm On Aug 22, 2014
Lagusta:

dont you think its better for him to see an endocrinologist??

Very importantly so

cc: Kindy (take note). I saw your mail- reply on its way. I've been terribly busy.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 1:45pm On Aug 22, 2014
phreakabit:

Doc can you please then explain the muscle weakness and aches? Has low grade fever earlier, with mild typhoid like aching muscles. . . Temperature is absolutely normal now but muscles still ache upon simple tasks and I feel hot inside.

Muscle weakness and aches are characteristic of viral infections. It will pass. On the overall scale, would you say your symptoms are resolving?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by phreakabit(m): 5:05pm On Aug 22, 2014
lomaxx:

Muscle weakness and aches are characteristic of viral infections. It will pass. On the overall scale, would you say your symptoms are resolving?

Doc thanks for Ur wise counsel, I feel much better today. Had a lil pain and hotness in the ear, but that has reduced drastically n has become mild. The rambling in.my tummy have reduced too n I feel stronger. Only worried if it might resurface just as every recovering person does. Something still bothers me however. . . In the day time I have appetite whereas I loose all urge to eat from 5pm onward.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by aeu1: 5:22pm On Aug 22, 2014
Doctor,
I woke up one day to discover a slight swelling at my back - upper right side. At times Its itchy. When I scratch, it appears as if it swells a bit. I took antibiotics and rub clotrimazole cream as prescribed by a nurse. I have not seen any improvement. I discover when I bath with warm water, it subsides and shrinks. Please what remedy do you recommend
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 6:45pm On Aug 22, 2014
lomaxx:

Do you sweat excessively at night?
How old are you?
Are you in any routine drugs?
Do you eat or thirst excessively?

I don't sweat excessively
Am not in any routine drugs
I don't eat or thirst excessively
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Kindy: 2:31pm On Aug 23, 2014
Ok Dr, noted. Thanks once more!

lomaxx:

Very importantly so

cc: Kindy (take note). I saw your mail- reply on its way. I've been terribly busy.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by effico(m): 11:52am On Aug 24, 2014
Good day doctor. Please what do you think could be the cause of chronic back and joint pains, including muscular aches and fatigue. These symptoms have been going on for close to 4 years now. I need help pls. Thank you. I'm 21 years old. Also, i noticed maggots in my stool recently each time and waist pain. It's hurts really.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 12:14pm On Aug 24, 2014
phreakabit:

Doc thanks for Ur wise counsel, I feel much better today. Had a lil pain and hotness in the ear, but that has reduced drastically n has become mild. The rambling in.my tummy have reduced too n I feel stronger. Only worried if it might resurface just as every recovering person does. Something still bothers me however. . . In the day time I have appetite whereas I loose all urge to eat from 5pm onward.

You're getting better. How are you today?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 12:31pm On Aug 24, 2014
effico: Good day doctor. Please what do you think could be the cause of chronic back and joint pains, including muscular aches and fatigue. These symptoms have been going on for close to 4 years now. I need help pls. Thank you. I'm 21 years old. Also, i noticed maggots in my stool recently each time and waist pain. It's hurts really.

You may want to see a physician. He/she would do a physical examination, run some tests and arrive at a diagnosis.

ijinlove20:

I don't sweat excessively
I am 22
Am not in any routine drugs
I don't eat or thirst excessively

Unintentional weight loss despite a good appetite may indicate a thyroid problem or a diabetic problem. D a thyroid assay and a fasting blood sugar test.

Make plans to see a physician as well.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 12:43pm On Aug 24, 2014
aeu1: Doctor,
I woke up one day to discover a slight swelling at my back - upper right side. At times Its itchy. When I scratch, it appears as if it swells a bit. I took antibiotics and rub clotrimazole cream as prescribed by a nurse. I have not seen any improvement. I discover when I bath with warm water, it subsides and shrinks. Please what remedy do you recommend

Do a hot compress.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by effico(m): 1:36pm On Aug 24, 2014
lomaxx:

You may want to see a physician. He/she would do a physical examination, run some tests and arrive at a diagnosis.

Unintentional weight loss despite a good appetite may indicate a thyroid problem or a diabetic problem. D a thyroid assay and a fasting blood sugar test.

Make plans to see a physician as well.
thank u doctor
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by phreakabit(m): 2:07pm On Aug 24, 2014
lomaxx:

You're getting better. How are you today?

Good day doctor
Went for medical check up yesterday and found Trophozoite of p. falciparum in my blood. Now I have no pain whatsoever but been having diarrhea, should I be worried? Got a personal question how can I reach you?
Regards.

(1) (2) (3) ... (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.