Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (152) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (636738 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jun 04, 2015
atunje:
@xiadnat
I will like to gain weight... I want to know if wate-on and complan can do the job.Thank You

I do not know what wate-on is. But, gaining weight requires that first: you make sure you do not have medical issues that is causing weight loss. Then determine, are you trying to gain fat or just muscle.

If fat, take in more calories than you expend. (eat more). If muscle, eat lots of protein, then lift weight.

Overall, you need to take in more caloric energy that you are taking out in order to gain weight.

Do it safely and slowly.

Good luck
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Dadsonval(f): 7:48pm On Jun 04, 2015
[quote author=Xiadnat post=34431871]

This test is remarkable for Anemia (low Hemoglobin) and leukocytosis (high white count (WBC).

The differential doesn't appear to be showing the nature of the leukocytosis. I would therefore, double check the number of this WBC.

Are you having fever, chills or feel ill? Or What is going on?

This test result does not show ESR.

Regards. [/quote
WBC is 13,600cm, i dont know d range.
This test is remarkable for Anemia (low Hemoglobin) and leukocytosis (high white count (WBC). What does this means? Does it have any serious issue? Pls kindly enlight more on this? Cos d liver is bigger but no hepatitis B.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nyckeh: 7:52pm On Jun 04, 2015
[quote author=Xiadnat post=34432108]

There may be re-accumulation of cysts, may require excision (different from marsupialization). If it's swollen and painful, there is also possibility of abscess formation.

Therefore, I suggest visit a gynecologist to re-examine and possibly prescribe antibiotics in case of abscess.

For vaginal dryness, try using lubricants during sex. For reoccurring yeast infection, make sure you do not have pre-existing systemic illness--see your gyn for examination and tr
Lubricants like? Is ds going to be forever? Wat do u mean by pre-existing systemic illness?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jun 04, 2015
[quote author=Dadsonval post=34432282][/quote]

Anemia: means you have inadequate (below reference range) red blood cells to carry oxygen to your tissues. It can be from numerous causes. Most common perhaps dietary lack (iron, vitamins), chronic disease, sickle cells, hemolytic etc.

Leucocytosis: typically due to infection, inflammation, allergies or leukemia.

This result has to be interpreted based upon your symptoms/signs. I cannot deduce much else.

If your liver is enlarged, get full hepatitis workup panel, liver function tests and ultrasound.

Good luck.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 04, 2015
[quote author=Nyckeh post=34432430][/quote]

Pre existing as in diabetes, HIV or anything that suppresses your immune system. In most healthy (and young), yeast infection is not very common and is usually because they are immunosuppressed either by medications or by another condition.

Go to you gyn and get prompt evaluation. The dryness may or may not resolve. But, bartholins gland's function is to provide lubrication, so with yours malfunctioning, there is a higher likelihood the dryness will persist. Lubricants are sold in stores where you normally would buy condoms, like K-Y jelly. They are also sold online if you google them.

Good luck
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nyckeh: 9:23pm On Jun 04, 2015
Tnx
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by cheerios: 9:30pm On Jun 04, 2015
Hi doc! it all started as frequent urination,each time I visit d hospital,after test results(urine n blood test) no UTI or excess sugar wud be found..in Feb I noticed I lost my ereection completely&feel a lump-like thing inside my anus.went to d hospital was given drugs to treat hemorriods..it didn't work so I opted for traditional medicine..witin 3days got back my erection&anal pain stoppd.after I finished the drugs,the whole thing came back again..I went for another round,same thing happen after finishing the drugs..so I had no choice than to visit the hospital..I was given Azithromycin,Fluconazole & Secnidazole kit and also Anusol to insert into my anus..I used the drugs but there's still recurrence of both weak ereection& anal lump.so at this point am confused,I browsed the name of the drugs given to me&discovered its used to treat STD but I don't have 1..I am 31yrs never had unprotected sex..please what do I do? Is it that the hospital aren't performing the right test? Cos I have tried 2,they are both HMOs..
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jun 04, 2015
cheerios:
Hi doc! it all started as frequent urination,each time I visit d hospital,after test results(urine n blood test) no UTI or excess sugar wud be found..in Feb I noticed I lost my ereection completely&feel a lump-like thing inside my anus.went to d hospital was given drugs to treat hemorriods..it didn't work so I opted for traditional medicine..witin 3days got back my erection&anal pain stoppd.after I finished the drugs,the whole thing came back again..I went for another round,same thing happen after finishing the drugs..so I had no choice than to visit the hospital..I was given Azithromycin,Fluconazole & Secnidazole kit and also Anusol to insert into my anus..I used the drugs but there's still recurrence of both weak ereection& anal lump.so at this point am confused,I browsed the name of the drugs given to me&discovered its used to treat STD but I don't have 1..I am 31yrs never had unprotected sex..please what do I do? Is it that the hospital aren't performing the right test? Cos I have tried 2,they are both HMOs..

Is the lump painful? Do you have constipation? And how does this lump feel as in soft, hard, fleshy, color? It most likely is painless hemorrhoids or piles.

Anyway, there's also rectal prolapse, warts, cysts. If it is appearing and disappearing, possibly reducible prolapsed rectum or hemorrhoids. It just means just that, it can spontaneously go back and forth.

Go to your regular doctor and get a digital rectal exam; + or - anoscope to visualize your rectum.

The erectio*n problem may not be directly related to the lump, perhaps as an side effect but not common.

Regards.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by freakingout(f): 10:41pm On Jun 04, 2015
Good evening doctor. Please help me with interpretation of my test results.

DId a pelvic scan to check for PID and swab HV/ECS to check for PID also.

PELVIC USS
The uters is normal in size. It measures 4.2cm in its widest Ap diameter. It shows hypoechoric myometrium with intact endometrial plates. Both adnexae and POD are intact.
IMPRESSION:- ? PID

Swab test

Wet preparation (HVS)
Pus cells- moderate
Epithelial cells- numerous
Yeast cells- few
Others- nil

Wet preparation (ECS)
Pus cells- moderate
Epithelial cells- many
Yeast cells- few
Others- nil

1 raised to the power of zero or 1 degree. Gram (HVS)
I couldn't really read what was written but epithelial cells was many while pus cells, yeast cells, gram negative, gram positive had something like h in a circle or + or p. I don't really understand the handwriting while others is nil.

The same result for the 1 raised to the power of zero (ECS)

HVS/ECS culture
Yielded no growth after 48 hours of incubation.

Do the results mean I have PID? If yes, please what's the cure. I also have to do prolactin, progesterone and estradiol on cd21.

Thanks in advance for your response. God bless you.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 7:41am On Jun 05, 2015
I have been looking out for this thread!

Doc kpèlè!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by RuthlessAnalyst: 10:06am On Jun 05, 2015
freakingout:

PELVIC USS
The uters is normal in size. It measures 4.2cm in its widest Ap diameter. It shows hypoechoric myometrium with intact endometrial plates. Both adnexae and POD are intact.

Swab test

Wet preparation (HVS)
Pus cells- moderate
Yeast cells- few
Others- nil

Wet preparation (ECS)
Pus cells- moderate
Epithelial cells- many
Yeast cells- few
Others- nil

I couldn't really read what was written but epithelial cells was many while pus cells, yeast cells, gram negative, gram positive had something like h in a circle or + or p. I don't really understand the handwriting while others is nil.

HVS/ECS culture

Do the results mean I have PID? If yes, please what's the cure. I also have to do prolactin, progesterone and estradiol on cd21.

it's really not advisable to use just laboratory investigation in arriving at a Diagnosis
The result you presented are near normal in My Opinion
The Ultra Sound finding is Normal wonder why the '?' (Queried) PID: maybe the clinical history you gave must have prompted that preliminary diagnosis.
features of PID on Ultra Sound include: fluid in the Pouch of Douglas (POD) or pelvis, thickened or dilated fallopian tube, adnexal mass, thickened endometrium e.t.c

The High Vaginal Swab MCS (HVS MCS) also look normal as few Epithelial Cells and Yeast Cell can be seen in normal Test.

I advice You give a clinical description of your symptoms and if possible get a pelvic examination to help arrive at a definitive diagnosis
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by RuthlessAnalyst: 10:23am On Jun 05, 2015
Xiadnat:

Sounds questionable to not be able to receive your result. One has to wonder why they are not releasing the result to her. Is she part of an experiment or?

Anyway, I would not engage sexually with this individual until you have proven her negative HIV test result.

Regards

Hi Dr.
Saw the Post and decided to give My quota.
Some Hospital Really do not give out result of HIV status to patient for some reasons based on experience except if the patient request specially or state the purpose for which the result is been requested.
In practice I have seen a patient that had HIV test done 4 years ago and still rely on the outcome of the test in present day.
Some patient even laminate the result and use it as their CV (if you get what I mean).
HIV status Change every Day Thus Some Dr are careful not to release the result to Patient.

However in most cases it's usually the predominant attitude of most Dr here to hide info from their patient.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 05, 2015
PID is mostly a clinical diagnosis. Are you having symptoms: abdominal/pelvic pain, dysuria, fever/chills? You engage in unsafe sex?

PID is from STD; therefore, you should rather screen for STD for culprit. Should also sample/culture the pus from your vaginal and endocervical samples.

However, pus in those samples with high risk of STD does suggest empirical treatment for PID. I however cannot say that it is PID based solely on the results outlined below. Pus in the vaginal sample is not normal though.

Regards.

freakingout:

PELVIC USS

Swab test

Wet preparation (HVS)
Pus cells- moderate
Yeast cells- few
Others- nil

Wet preparation (ECS)
Pus cells- moderate
Epithelial cells- many
Yeast cells- few
Others- nil

HVS/ECS culture

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jun 05, 2015
Thank you for that enlightenment. I suppose practice in Nigeria is a bit different than U.S.

In U.S, if someone allows for STD test, they will generally be given the result whether they want or not. STD is considered a reportable disease in U.S, therefore, if you are positive, your result will be transmitted to the National Board of Health-- a requirement.

The patient most be informed and counseled and all potential contacts informed that they may be exposed, but will not reveal names.

No wonder HIV seems rampant and uncontrollable in Africa, doctors really should give them the report and actively seek to reduce transmission of HIV.

RuthlessAnalyst:

Hi Dr.
Saw the Post and decided to give My quota.
Some Hospital Really do not give out result of HIV status to patient for some reasons based on experience except if the patient request specially or state the purpose for which the result is been requested.
In practice I have seen a patient that had HIV test done 4 years ago and still rely on the outcome of the test in present day.
Some patient even laminate the result and use it as their CV (if you get what I mean).
HIV status Change every Day Thus Some Dr are careful not to release the result to Patient.

However in most cases it's usually the predominant attitude of most Dr here to hide info from their patient.

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by RuthlessAnalyst: 2:23pm On Jun 05, 2015
Xiadnat:
Thank you for that enlightenment. I suppose practice in Nigeria is a bit different than U.S.

In U.S, if someone allows for STD test, they will generally be given the result whether they want or not. STD is considered a reportable disease in U.S, therefore, if you are positive, your result will be transmitted to the National Board of Health-- a requirement.

The patient most be informed and counseled and all potential contacts informed that they may be exposed, but will not reveal names.

No wonder HIV seems rampant and uncontrollable in Africa, doctors really should give them the report and actively seek to reduce transmission of HIV.

Here the Practice is a bit different cos the Confidentiality Clause still applies when Divulging Positive HIV result.
You give a A Pre-Test Counselling, Then Voluntary Testing and Afterwards a Post-Test Counselling. You advice for Contact Tracing and Testing in cases of Positive HIV Test results.
There's really no Law insisting that Positive HIV test must be reported.

I have had several cases where a male Patient tested Positive for HIV in a Polygamous setting (sometimes with 4 wives) and when asked to inform and bring His partners for Testing He Declines.

I need to Point out that Majority of Dr are eager to do the contact tracing but there is really not a law at hand that help efficient contact tracing.
That might explain the reason why some Dr. might be reluctant to give Result of HIV status to some patient.

I gave You a practical example of a Patient that had Retroviral Screening done in 2010 and still rely on the Test in 2015. As a matter of fact he shows it to new sexual partners claiming he is Negative. It was not surprising that a new test conducted turned out to be positive

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Dadsonval(f): 3:47pm On Jun 05, 2015
Xiadnat:

Anemia: means you have inadequate (below reference range) red blood cells to carry oxygen to your tissues. It can be from numerous causes. Most common perhaps dietary lack (iron, vitamins), chronic disease, sickle cells, hemolytic etc.

Leucocytosis: typically due to infection, inflammation, allergies or leukemia.

This result has to be interpreted based upon your symptoms/signs. I cannot deduce much else.

If your liver is enlarged, get full hepatitis workup panel, liver function tests and ultrasound.
Thnks. D Doctors are on strick, i dont have any hepatitis A,B or C, d scan showed right ovarian cyst and hepatomegaly. What do u advise that i shld do pending d time d doctors will resume

Good luck.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by freakingout(f): 5:49pm On Jun 05, 2015
Xiadnat:
PID is mostly a clinical diagnosis. Are you having symptoms: abdominal/pelvic pain, dysuria, fever/chills? You engage in unsafe sex?

PID is from STD; therefore, you should rather screen for STD for culprit. Should also sample/culture the pus from your vaginal and endocervical samples.

However, pus in those samples with high risk of STD does suggest empirical treatment for PID. I however cannot say that it is PID based solely on the results outlined below. Pus in the vaginal sample is not normal though.

Regards.

Good evening Doctor. Thanks for your response. I'm married. Been ttc for two and a half years. I've had three miscarriages. During af I usually have abdominal and pelvic pain. Hence the doctor's suggestion for the scan and swab test for PID. She wants to rule out PID as the cause of the miscarriages before looking at other areas. Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by freakingout(f): 5:55pm On Jun 05, 2015
RuthlessAnalyst:

it's really not advisable to use just laboratory investigation in arriving at a Diagnosis
The result you presented are near normal in My Opinion
The Ultra Sound finding is Normal wonder why the '?' (Queried) PID: maybe the clinical history you gave must have prompted that preliminary diagnosis.
features of PID on Ultra Sound include: fluid in the Pouch of Douglas (POD) or pelvis, thickened or dilated fallopian tube, adnexal mass, thickened endometrium e.t.c

The High Vaginal Swab MCS (HVS MCS) also look normal as few Epithelial Cells and Yeast Cell can be seen in normal Test.

I advice You give a clinical description of your symptoms and if possible get a pelvic examination to help arrive at a definitive diagnosis

Good evening Doctor. Thanks for your
response. I'm married. Been ttc for two and a
half years. I've had three miscarriages.
During af I usually have abdominal and pelvic
pain. Hence the doctor's suggestion for the
scan and swab test for PID. She wants to rule
out PID as the cause of the miscarriages
before looking at other areas. Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jun 05, 2015
freakingout:

Good evening Doctor. Thanks for your response. I'm married. Been ttc for two and a half years. I've had three miscarriages. During af I usually have abdominal and pelvic pain. Hence the doctor's suggestion for the scan and swab test for PID. She wants to rule out PID as the cause of the miscarriages before looking at other areas. Thanks

Ok. I suggest getting started on empiric treatment for PID with broad spectrum antibiotics while you wait for culture of the pus.

I wish you well with your TTC events.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 05, 2015
[quote author=Dadsonval post=34459804][/quote]

Management of ovarian cysts depends on if you have symptoms or how big it is.

Re: enlarged liver; it is not very specific as many things can precipitate inflamed and enlarged liver.

One needs more history and exam to be able to delineate what's going on. But, what are your liver enzymes (transaminase), bilirubin, GGT? if you checked them?

Good luck.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by freakingout(f): 6:49pm On Jun 05, 2015
Xiadnat:

Ok. I suggest getting started on empiric treatment for PID with broad spectrum antibiotics while you wait for culture of the pus.

I wish you well with your TTC events.
Thanks Doctor
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by RuthlessAnalyst: 7:06pm On Jun 05, 2015
freakingout:

Good evening Doctor. Thanks for your
response. I'm married. Been ttc for two and a
half years. I've had three miscarriages.
During af I usually have abdominal and pelvic
pain. Hence the doctor's suggestion for the
scan and swab test for PID. She wants to rule
out PID as the cause of the miscarriages
before looking at other areas. Thanks

Ok I understand
But How old are You and what is Your Genotype?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by freakingout(f): 7:15pm On Jun 05, 2015
RuthlessAnalyst:

Ok I understand
But How old are You and what is Your Genotype?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Dadsonval(f): 7:40pm On Jun 05, 2015
[quote author=Xiadnat post=34464760]

Management of ovarian cysts depends on if you have symptoms or how big it is.

Re: enlarged liver; it is not very specific as many things can precipitate inflamed and enlarged liver.

One needs more history and exam to be able to delineate what's going on. But, what are your liver enzymes (transaminase), bilirubin, GGT? if you checked them?

Good luck. [/quote
ok, what suppliment or drugs can u recommend for normal supply of oxgyen in d blood, kindly advise me.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Mdolalekan2u(m): 6:01am On Jun 06, 2015
Hello Dr
Please I'm living in far not of Nigeria with my family. Due to excessive heat, my children developed Heat Rashes especially d youngest one of about 11 month old and her brother 3yrs.
Their back are covered with rashes. Some time they will start crying and scratching almost all over their body. Yesternight we couldn't sleep because of the youngest one started crying and trying to scratch her back.
It took some hrs b4 we could sleep and she has started like that for some days ago. It do happen even during d day time.
Please, advise me on what 2 do.
Thank you.
Best Regard.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 6:55am On Jun 06, 2015
Mdolalekan2u:
Hello Dr
Please I'm living in far not of Nigeria with my family. Due to excessive heat, my children developed Heat Rashes especially d youngest one of about 11 month old and her brother 3yrs.
Their back are covered with rashes. Some time they will start crying and scratching almost all over their body. Yesternight we couldn't sleep because of the youngest one started crying and trying to scratch her back.
It took some hrs b4 we could sleep and she has started like that for some days ago. It do happen even during d day time.
Please, advise me on what 2 do.
Thank you.
Best Regard.

There are medication to ease the rubra or better the itch and rashes.But there is no medicine in the obvious sense to ease the heat.The following lifestyle may help:

1)Spend a quality time outside breathing and allowing the body take in good fresh before going to bed.

2)Take a good shower or spend some quality in a water-bath so your body can get cold,very cold before going to bed.

3)Wear light clothes or don't put on any clothes on going to bed but sleep inside a mosquito net to avoid malaria

4)Always eat your dinner early enough so you become light and bright and less sweaty before going to bed.

5)Instead of completely locking all door,make doors and windows of netty materials.

6)Don't use your electronics till the time you wish to have your sleep.Don't cook inside the house.This will allow heat to damp,stale and corner everywhere.

7)Allow proper ventillation.Air don't circulate in a room where every nook and cranny of the house is completely stock and piled up with clothes,rubbish and whatever.Allow space in the house generally.

coolGet a supplier of electricity-generator.Most specially,allow the youngest to sleep,inshort kowtow to him/her sleep when the generator is on before switching off the supplier.In the absence of no supplier-use your hand.

9)Buy a talcum powder for the heat rash.

10)Change of location.

N.B-Everyword i write goes to you and your kids.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by RuthlessAnalyst: 7:02am On Jun 06, 2015
freakingout:

31. AS

What about your Blood Group (Rhesus + or -)
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by freakingout(f): 9:26am On Jun 06, 2015
RuthlessAnalyst:

What about your Blood Group (Rhesus + or -)
Blood group- O+, Rhesus - D+
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jun 06, 2015
[quote author=Dadsonval post=34467021][/quote]

It depends on the cause of anemia. Iron deficiency seem to be the most prevalent. But, you need iron studies to determine that.

If you are not having symptoms or blood disease that you know off, then perhaps you can eat iron fortified foods. You should investigate more though when doctors are back from strike.

Good luck.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by cheerios: 11:32pm On Jun 06, 2015
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Theophinio(m): 11:45pm On Jun 06, 2015
Hi Doc
Am a footballer some months ago i had either muscle strain, or hamstring strain, i went to hospital for treatment but the pain is still there with the swollen lump at the back of my thigh. Have taken pain relief drugs and have rubbed pain relief cream, but all to no avail.
Please any suggestion that will relieve me of the pain
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by cheerios: 6:24am On Jun 07, 2015
[quote author=cheerios post=34507391][/quote]

Tanx for ur response Dr! The lump is fleshy,my faeces comes out too hard&big causing me discomfort,I guess its constipatn right? but for it to hav been on&off for 3months got me worried &also when it surfaced was simultaneous wit d weak er*ction..as I type this now the anal pain is vanished but I don't know for how long..the only pending issue is d er*ction problem,am tryn to know d cause to avoid further damage..at a Point I take piriton a lot to aid sleep at night because am a restless type of person,can the weak er*ction be a side effect? Another addiction was masturbation. There's quite an improvement now cos it started with zero-er*ction in FEB whereby I don't even feel I hav a p*nis,now its sensitive,grows but not hard enough and also no morning er*ction..will like to know if there's possibility of a total cure..and also would be needing tips to help..really appreciate ur help..thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.