Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (85) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (637480 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 5:47pm On Sep 19, 2012
filcast:
Am so grateful for your response.
-yes i do feel burning sensations in my abdomen and its worse before meals and when i take fried or spicy food.most times i feel relieved after defeacating.i suspect its ulcer because of the burning sensations but my worry is the dry lips and the belching.
-i brush twice a day: b4 breakfast and after dinner.i dont brush in the afternoon.
Doctors seem not to believe me when i narrate my story.i think they feel its psychological.
I will try your instructions on meals and fluids. Thanks a lot.

You gave a clearer description of your symptoms now. The physician who diagnosed peptic ulcer can't be wrong. In western countries, diagnosis of peptic ulcer involves both invasive and non-invasive investigations, of which endoscopy is the gold standard. But in Nigeria, we only depend on our clinical acumen and the progression of the symptoms to make diagnosis of peptic ulcer. So our diagnosis is blind at best.
The current treatment of peptic ulcer is called "triple therapy". It involves two different antibiotics and one acid-reducing agent. Treated for two weeks, while the acid reducing agent is continued till one month. I expect your physician to know about this protocol.
Other older regimen has high rate of treatment failure. Yours might be a case of treatment failure.

Finally, the micro-organism that causes peptic ulcer disease is ingested along with food and water. Just like the organism that causes typhoid fever, it thrives in an unsanitary environment. To avoid recurrence/re-infection after treatment, your foods should be warm; fruits should be washed with clean water, your hand should be washed with soap before eating, wash your hand with soap after using using toilet. Maintain a high degree personal hygiene.

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by qatar13: 6:48pm On Sep 19, 2012
Hello doctor, I have just been told that I have diabetic type 2 pls what drug should I be taken and what food should I avoid and which food I should be eating.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 7:25pm On Sep 19, 2012
qatar13: Hello doctor, I have just been told that I have diabetic type 2 pls what drug should I be taken and what food should I avoid and which food I should be eating.

Sorry, the ethics of my profession forbade me from prescribing drug to a patient based on hearsay complaints. I follows medical protocol when issue like this is involved. Here is Medical Advice thread and not Prescription thread.

Management of your condition involves the combination of three therapeutic modalities:

1. Dietary modification

2. Exercise

3. Drugs

In dietary modification, you must cut drastically your intake of carbohydrate/starchy diets. Pls carbohydrate diet includes beans and its look-alikes. You have to take starchy in a very small quantity. Take mostly fruits. Avoid alcohol. Don't take soft drinks in excess. Quit smoking.

Exercise for atleast 30 minutes every 2 days. Exercises like walking, light jugging, cycling, etc. Reduce your weight if you are overweight. Avoid sedentary lifestyle.

Finally, be compliant with the medications prescribed to you by your physician. Don't ever take any unilateral decision to quit taking the drugs just because your blood sugar is within the normal range! Consult your physician before taking any decision concerning your health. Get a glucometer to help you monitor your blood sugar.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 7:38pm On Sep 19, 2012
optimus30: Hello doc,good friend of mine has a very strong phobia 4 hiv which has affected his day to day life,according to him it all started after discussing abt hiv with his friends during his sec.,sch days(now in uni),he washes his hands like mad,gets scared when he cms across used condoms on d street cos at dat point he believes he stepped on it,he doesn't go anywhere except sch,gets freaked out when he touches anything which he cn't identify d source eg water may seem like body fluid to him unless he's convinced is nt by sme1,he washes anything he cmes bck with as a result he doesn't go out with his phone or laptop n also anything he believes he touches when he gets bck 4rm sch is also washed or cleaned,i've tried 2 mk him stop bt cn't,after much research,i discovered it cld b OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder)n so far no available drugs 4 it,with leads 2 ONE question,will he ever stop?,his a very brilliant guy,pls nid ans.Thnks

Oh yes! Get in touch with a psychiatrist. He needs to be counselled on his unwarranted fear of HIV. Actually, HIV is a very weak virus, unlike its stubborn counterpart like Hepatitis B. HIV hardly survives for more than one hour outside its human host(Hepatitis B can survive for more than 9 months). If HIV is as stubborn as Hepatitis B, then we would be dealing with a much larger epidemic by now. He really needs to be counselled.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Stevecares(m): 4:25am On Sep 20, 2012
Please doctor, i notice have been frequently urinating mostly at night. I was thinking i should take lesser water daily, but my dad said it is because of the cold weather, especially at night; But i do not want to be ignorant, what could be the possible cause and what can i do to stop it?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 6:42am On Sep 20, 2012
Stevecares: Please doctor, i notice have been frequently urinating mostly at night. I was thinking i should take lesser water daily, but my dad said it is because of the cold weather, especially at night; But i do not want to be ignorant, what could be the possible cause and what can i do to stop it?

Since it started lately, you should not worry about that. You can attribute it to cold weather.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by filcast(m): 11:39am On Sep 20, 2012
ACM10:

You gave a clearer description of your symptoms now. The physician who diagnosed peptic ulcer can't be wrong. In western countries, diagnosis of peptic ulcer involves both invasive and non-invasive investigations, of which endoscopy is the gold standard. But in Nigeria, we only depend on our clinical acumen and the progression of the symptoms to make diagnosis of peptic ulcer. So our diagnosis is blind at best.
The current treatment of peptic ulcer is called "triple therapy". It involves two different antibiotics and one acid-reducing agent. Treated for two weeks, while the acid reducing agent is continued till one month. I expect your physician to know about this protocol.
Other older regimen has high rate of treatment failure. Yours might be a case of treatment failure.

Finally, the micro-organism that causes peptic ulcer disease is ingested along with food and water. Just like the organism that causes typhoid fever, it thrives in an unsanitary environment. To avoid recurrence/re-infection after treatment, your foods should be warm; fruits should be washed with clean water, your hand should be washed with soap before eating, wash your hand with soap after using using toilet. Maintain a high degree personal hygiene.
Thanks a lot.i will ask my doctor about the triple therapy or maybe see a different physician.i recall i got some antibiotics and GESTID antacid then.
But Doc can ulcer also cause persistent bloating,burping,belching,farting and the dry,scaly,gumy,sticky lips that i also experience?note this is even when the inside of my mouth has adequate saliva-just the lips are dry,scaly,gumy,sticky. The sensation is close to what i feel in my lips during harmattan season or when i just wake up in the morning.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 11:53am On Sep 20, 2012
filcast:
Thanks a lot.i will ask my doctor about the triple therapy or maybe see a different physician.i recall i got some antibiotics and GESTID antacid then.
But Doc can ulcer also cause persistent bloating,burping,belching,farting and the dry,scaly,gumy,sticky lips that i also experience?note this is even when the inside of my mouth has adequate saliva-just the lips are dry,scaly,gumy,sticky. The sensation is close to what i feel in my lips during harmattan season or when i just wake up in the morning.

I hope that fresh fruits and vegetables are part of your daily diets. I will still refer you back to my advice in my earlier post.
Gestid is not one of the drugs used in the "triple therapy" for the cure of peptic ulcer. Gestid can only alleviate the symptoms of peptic ulcer, but cannot cure it. Some of the symptoms you mentioned are side effects of gestid. Maybe, you may need to go to a Teaching Hospital to meet a gastroenterologist.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by filcast(m): 12:43pm On Sep 20, 2012
ACM10:

I hope that fresh fruits and vegetables are part of your daily diets. I will still refer you back to my advice in my earlier post.
Gestid is not one of the drugs used in the "triple therapy" for the cure of peptic ulcer. Gestid can only alleviate the symptoms of peptic ulcer, but cannot cure it. Some of the symptoms you mentioned are side effects of gestid. Maybe, you may need to go to a Teaching Hospital to meet a gastroenterologist.
Thanks.i will do as u said though that will be in a few weeks time when i will be free. For now i will try to manage the symptoms
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by filcast(m): 1:04pm On Sep 20, 2012
ACM10:

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Cool83(m): 5:47pm On Sep 20, 2012
Helo doc,i was treated of tb spine in 1999,but recently i started having severe pains at waist,i went to hospital,i did blood test(wider) i was told that i didnt have tb,but within me i feel like am stil havn it,the tb spine was detected through xray,and my new doctor(white man) didnt ask me to do xray.someone told me that someone might have tb and it will not be in the blood.i need your advise
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by bodik(m): 6:59pm On Sep 20, 2012
qatar13: Hello doctor, I have just been told that I have diabetic type 2 pls what drug should I be taken and what food should I avoid and which food I should be eating.

You should try as much as possible not to have wounds on any part of your body,reduce carbohydratess, eat more vegetables, unripe plantain.
Get Moringa leaf or seeds and, it will help normalize blood sugar, it will also do you a lot of good to search online for what things to do and what not to do.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by optimus30: 7:57pm On Sep 20, 2012
ACM10:

Oh yes! Get in touch with a psychiatrist. He needs to be counselled on his unwarranted fear of HIV. Actually, HIV is a very weak virus, unlike its stubborn counterpart like Hepatitis B. HIV hardly survives for more than one hour outside its human host(Hepatitis B can survive for more than 9 months). If HIV is as stubborn as Hepatitis B, then we would be dealing with a much larger epidemic by now. He really needs to be counselled.
Thnks alot doc,God bless
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by femijeffadeyemi(m): 3:57am On Sep 22, 2012
Can jaundice liver disease be heal totaly? Is it transferable thru intercourse? Is it safe for someone to marry a lady with ds infection? What is its medicati
on. Tnks.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Stevecares(m): 8:47pm On Sep 23, 2012
Hello doctor. Am responding quite well on Hypertensive and palpitation medication(for two weeks now). My high blood pressure and bounding heart beat is gradually coming down. But often i have headache, change in vision sometimes, dizziness and weakness, stuffy nose(right nostril), cough sensation, feeling of tight or blocked sensation in my throat sometimes. Have complained about these to the doctor, but no satisfactory reply(a public hospital). I feel so helpless
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by iceberg54: 1:51pm On Sep 27, 2012
Hi doc, Pls i need ur help. I felt sick about 3months back. Symptoms were severe headache, feverish feeling, general weakness etc. I felt it was malaria so i took an antimalaria drug. 1 or 2 wks after that, it resurfaced so i went to do medical test(MP and Widal). MP was negative Widal was positive(Significant titre). So the doctor prescribed Augmentin. I used it and felt better. About a month ago, the same symptoms resurfaced. Went to do test. MP was negative, Widal was still positive but the doctor said it wasnt too significant. I was asked to take CIPROTAB which i did. 2wks ago, felt the same symptoms again. Went back to do the doctor. Was asked to do MP, Widal and Blood Culture or sensitivity(cant remember the exact name). MP was +1, widal was negative but i had to wait for 7days for the blood culture result. Doctor asked me to take an anti malaria pending the release of the other result. I took an antimalaria, felt okay for some days but symptoms resurfaced again last week thursday or fri. Blood culture result came out and this was the result "Gram positive cocci culture yielded growth of staph aureus after 2hrs of incubation at 37 degrees centigrade. resistant to augmentine. sensitive to gentamicin, offloxacin, levastat, cyprosan"

So doctor prescribed offloxacin which i completed yesterday. However am still feeling the same way(high body temp, body weakness, feverish feeling, headache etc)
Am so confused rite now. pls ur urgent response is required.
my email is icelander54@yahoo.com
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lokobam(m): 12:52am On Sep 28, 2012
Hi doc..which of d stds is more serious nxt to HIV/AIDS?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 4:42pm On Sep 30, 2012
Hello folks! I've been busy this week. Not particularly active here. My cousin uses my handle to post on this forum too. That explains my pseudo-activity here. I will attend to all your enquiries during the week. Keep it coming.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by femijeffadeyemi(m): 7:25pm On Sep 30, 2012
Can jaundice liver disease be heal totaly? Is it transferable thru intercourse? Is it safe for someone to marry a lady with ds infection? What is its medicati
on. Tnks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by femijeffadeyemi(m): 7:32pm On Sep 30, 2012
Hi doctor, I sometime feel itch ahcne pains on my stomach skin somtim up around d ribs almost, for 5yrs bck, and when am ill 'malaria' I feel it d most. I once went _ hospital, I was givin proton, smtm,vit. Bco ad antibiotic amoxin ad co. Pls dr, wot is d good medication to this. What is really responsible 4 ds, d name of ds infection
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by apmis: 11:18am On Oct 01, 2012
@ACM10: Grea work you are doing here. looking forward to lend a helping hand....
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Realfavour: 6:17pm On Oct 01, 2012
Hi doc,i suddenly began to notice that my tongue colour is gradually becoming white instead of red,what could be d cause and what should i do? Plss i need ur help.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Jerry4utd: 7:01pm On Oct 01, 2012
Hell doc.please I really need u to help me out.i have this pain in my anus region.it started after I went to stool.the stool was very hard,I had to push hard before it came out,and when i was through I noticed some blood stains on the tissue paper.the pain is so much I can hardly sit or walk.what can I do? Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ikmoore2(m): 2:02pm On Oct 03, 2012
Hello,

I recently notice this offensive mouth odour and I need your your advice on this. if I may ask, can STD cause this? kindly educate me on the causes and remedies..

Many Thanks in advance.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by paparazzo: 2:27pm On Oct 03, 2012
dear Doctors,
Gudday, 2weeks ago my girlfriend complained to me that she was having cramps and feeling tired.... Yesterday i took her to a hospital,she had two test ULTRASOUND AND BLOOD TEST bt both came out negative. This is wat wz shown on the ultrasound test result.
*NORMAL MYOMETRIAL ECHOES AND OULTINE SEEN
*THE ENDOMETRIAL PLATE IS SEEN AND APPEARS NORMAL
*NO CYESIS OR RETAINED PRODUCT OF CONCEPTION IS SEEN
*NO EVIDENCE OF INTRA/EXTRA UTERINE LEIOMYOMA SEEN
*BOTH OVARIES SHOW NO OBVIOUS ABNORMALITY.
*THE ADNEXAE AND POUCH OF DOUGLAS APPEAR FREE

SONOGRAPHIC FEATURES DEPICT-*ANTEVERTED UTERUS
*NO CYESIS/RETAINED PRODUCT
*NO INTRA/EXTRA UTERINE MYOMA
*NO OVARIAN LESION
*NIL ADNEXAE/POD
*ESSENTIALLY NORMAL PELVIC/UTERINE SONOGRAM.

The blood test came out Negative yesterday but why did she miss her period and she havent seen it up to this hour.*PLS DOCTOR HELP ME* THANKS.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by slimmieL: 5:22am On Oct 04, 2012
Hello doc, pls I hope I get a reply 2 my mail asap. I used postinor 1 jux abt 3 hrs aftr unprotectd sex n I saw my period d normal time( was heavy). But aftr that, I testd mysf with the pregnancy strip n I saw a lil faint line, does dt mean I'm pregnant? That the drug ddnt wrk?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by jezsie: 1:34pm On Oct 04, 2012
Hi Doctor ,I just went through an operation as a result of my appendicitis and after two weeks am still feeling some pains in the area .please what should I do.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gabbyferd: 9:46am On Oct 05, 2012
Hello Doc,i've gat feelings dat so many insect walks on my body xpecially wen it is cold.it happens in all part of of the body.i did herpetitis and HIV test both negative.i notice a painless sore in d urethra,ocassionally bleeds wen sexually arouse.wat test shld i go for? wat shld i do?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Jessamy: 7:02am On Oct 06, 2012
Hello doc...,
Does anyone have any information about a new cancer treatment developed in Lebanon by someone Nabil Habib? and, what is his address?
Is there any other well-tested therapist for cancer in the middle east or south asia?
stem cell training school
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by yat11: 11:14pm On Oct 09, 2012
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by filcast(m): 3:46pm On Oct 11, 2012
'You gave a clearer description of your symptoms now. The physician who diagnosed peptic ulcer can't be wrong. In western countries, diagnosis of peptic ulcer involves both invasive and non-invasive investigations, of which endoscopy is the gold standard. But in Nigeria, we only depend on our clinical acumen and the progression of the symptoms to make diagnosis of peptic ulcer. So our diagnosis is blind at best.
Other older regimen has high rate of treatment failure. Yours might be a case of treatment failure'.

Hello doc,i culled the quote above from your response during our interaction on 19th sept. Today a doctor prescribed the triple therapy for me but he prescribed the 'ulsa kit'-omeprazole,tinidazole,clarithromycin- 1 capsule each twice daily,for only one week (remember you said 2 weeks) while the acid reducing agent (rabeprazole) continues for 1 month.Is this adequate?

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 6:27pm On Oct 11, 2012
Cool83: Helo doc,i was treated of tb spine in 1999,but recently i started having severe pains at waist,i went to hospital,i did blood test(wider) i was told that i didnt have tb,but within me i feel like am stil havn it,the tb spine was detected through xray,and my new doctor(white man) didnt ask me to do xray.someone told me that someone might have tb and it will not be in the blood.i need your advise

Widal test is used to detect/estimate the serum antibody titre to Salmonella typhi(an organism that causes typhoid). High antibody titre shows the presence of typhoid infection. Widal test has nothing to do with tuberculosis.
The test for tuberculosis are:

1. Mantoux test(tuberculin skin test)

2. Staining for acid/alcohol fast bacilli

3. Culture

4. X-ray, etc

So, how do you know that you are still having tuberculosis?

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.