Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,654 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? (9676 Views)

R.I.P. Notorious B.I.G (tribute) / 15 Years Today, Rip Notorious B.i.g. The Greatest Of All Time / Notorious B.i.g, 14 Years Gone Still Missing You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by MrMurdah: 7:14am On Nov 03, 2009
I was going through my archives and it just came to me that Jigga had come a long way.

How tables turn, I remember when he used to rock em Hawaiian shirts and collect flak as Foxxy Brown's boy toy grin

No doubt, Jay Z is bigger than Hip Hop.

But we all know to well how a what if, story changes the equation.

What if Biggie was still alive.

Would Jay-Z have reached estemmed heights?

Labelled King of New York?

And the best that had ever done it?

I think, NOT.

Let the discussions begin!
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by frijos(m): 9:23am On Nov 03, 2009
@poster, the answer is yes. Because Jay Z is really smart. I don't think BIG  have/will have the kind of abilities Hov has in terms of business and longevity. I'm sure and i don't mean to disrespect the dead but folks wud've been bored of BIG by now but Jay Z is always in tune and remains relevant in today's music.  cool
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by ritchboy(m): 10:44am On Nov 03, 2009
Frijos
spot on!

"if" biggie didnt die, he'd prolly be selling womens shoes in tampa now cheesy

1 Like

Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by frijos(m): 3:44pm On Nov 03, 2009
lwkmd!!!!
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by hustla(m): 3:58pm On Nov 03, 2009
Omo na say jay Z go join illuminati or else he wouuldnt have really achieved like that, but come on, that dude is streetwise,
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by omar22(m): 4:38pm On Nov 03, 2009
Jay Z is only big because of his clothing empire and not because of his rap skills

None of his Album has yet to out sell BIG or Tupac's Album

I would pick DMX ahead of him when it comes to rapping
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by frijos(m): 5:23pm On Nov 03, 2009
Big is special, 2pac is important, Jay Z is both! cool
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by vanhelsing(m): 11:00am On Nov 04, 2009
omar22:

Jay Z is only big because of his clothing empire and not because of his rap skills

None of his Album has yet to out sell BIG or Tupac's Album

I would pick DMX ahead of him when it comes to rapping

u is a joker dude, would pick eedris abdulkarim over DMX.
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by omar22(m): 1:55pm On Nov 04, 2009
u is a joker dude, would pick eedris abdulkarim over DMX.

Reasonable Doubt (1996) - 1.5 million copies
In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 (1997) - 1.2 million copies
Vol. 2, Hard Knock Life (1998) -
Vol. 3, Life and Times of S. Carter (1999) - 3 million copies
The Dynasty: Roc La Familia (2000) - 2.3 million copies
The Blueprint (2001) - 2 million copies
The Blueprint²: The Gift & the Curse (2002) - 2.7 million copies
The Black Album (2003) - 2.2 Million copies
Kingdom Come (2006) - 0.9 Million copies
American Gangster (2007) - 1 million copies
The Blueprint 3 (2009) - ?

11 albums, less than 30m albums

Tupac Amaru Shakur (June 16, 1971 – September 13, 1996), also known by his stage names 2Pac (or simply Pac) and Makaveli, was an American rapper. He has sold 75 million albums to date and is one of the best-selling music artists in the world.[3]

Notorious BIG
Ready to Die - Over 3million copies
Live after death - Over 5 million copies

DMX
He is the 5th best-selling rapper, with over 30 million units sold.

Eminem has sold more than 80 million albums worldwide,[3] and worldwide is the best selling music artist of the 2000s.[4] Eminem is also ranked in the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time by Rolling Stone magazine.[5] He was also named the Best Rapper Ever By Vibe Magazine.[6]
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by phatwall: 2:22pm On Nov 04, 2009
in terms of rap skills i dont see anyone in the game,dead or alive that can out spit jigga when he has his game face on,they maybe on the same level,but not better than hov.
jay z is every rappers rapper,he is a picture of what every mc wants to be,a good rapper,grammy award winner(not to mention a whole bunch o' other awards),married to the hottest chick in the game(faith evans reach beyonce level?) street smart,hustler and ofcourse loads of money!!!!!

u can tell the success of a man by looking @ the people around him,he put beans on,bleek,free,young gunz,amil,camron had his only platinum album under the roc,and these are just lesser of jiggas boys am mentioning,lets go into the kanye west,rihanna,ne yo,rick ross,young jeezy and the rest of the heavyweights jigga has put in the game, who in biggies camp is doing good now? who in 2pacs camp is doing good now?ask urself.

if biggie was alive jigga would have signed him by now just like he did nas or fif signed mobb deep.afterall other great mc's are still alive and jigga pass all of them,krs one,rakim and the likes.

JAY Z IS THE GREATEST,I REPEAT GREATEST RAPPER OF ALL TIME.

PEACE OUT!!!!
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by vanhelsing(m): 3:07pm On Nov 04, 2009
Tell 'em,
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by frijos(m): 4:01pm On Nov 04, 2009
The greatest rapper ever lived is Jay Z. smiley
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by omar22(m): 12:25am On Nov 05, 2009
if biggie was alive jigga would have signed him by now just like he did nas or fif signed mobb deep.afterall other great mc's are still alive and jigga pass all of them,krs one,rakim and the likes.

YOU just showed your knowledge on rap music, your new to rap music!!!

If the Notorious BIG was alive their would be NO JAY Z, forgetting that Puff Daddy produce his second album that went platium, by then the Late BIG was still out selling Jay Z,

They are not in the same Class!!!

1 Like

Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by MrCrackles(m): 12:26am On Nov 05, 2009
Poster
Who crowned JayZ
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by mrmetoo1: 1:51am On Nov 05, 2009
R u guys kidding? Jay-Z would be praising God or woteva he believes in secretly that Biggie died. Jay-Z used Biggie's lines to get where he is, to the extent that Nas had to call him out on it. Go listen's Biggie's albums and flows, the guy is still fresh to date. Go listen to songs they were both on 2gether and see who always came out on top. Jay-Z has just had time to evolve and develop his skills over time, time Biggie didn't have. Then "Life After Death" was certified diamond meaning over 10mil copies cos I saw someone wrote down 5mil
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by Krayola(m): 3:06am On Nov 05, 2009
KING!! I miss u like crazy!!

1 Share

Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by omar22(m): 8:09am On Nov 05, 2009
Then "Life After Death" was certified diamond meaning over 10mil copies cos I saw someone wrote down 5mil

I agree it sold 5m in America alone in its first year, but we have some JJC into the rap world on Nairaland, throughout the 90's who was Jay Z when we have the likes BIG, 2PAC, DMX, NAS, Missy, Foxy Brown, Lil Kim, Eric Sermon, Keith Murray, Wu Tan Clan, Snoop Dog, Dr Dre, Ice Cube etc,

It got to a period when Jay Z was releasing albums every year, it was shocking,
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by HJ1(m): 8:19am On Nov 05, 2009
omar22:

In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 (1997) - 1.2 million copies
Vol. 2,  Hard Knock Life (1998) -
Vol. 3,  Life and Times of S. Carter (1999) - 3 million copies
The Dynasty: Roc La Familia (2000) - 2.3 million copies
The Blueprint²: The Gift & the Curse (2002) - 2.7 million copies
The Black Album (2003) - 2.2 Million copies
Kingdom Come (2006) - 0.9 Million copies
American Gangster (2007) - 1 million copies
The Blueprint 3 (2009) - ?

11 albums,  less than 30m albums

Tupac Amaru Shakur (June 16, 1971 – September 13, 1996), also known by his stage names 2Pac (or simply Pac) and Makaveli, was an American rapper. He has sold 75 million albums to date and is one of the best-selling music artists in the world.[3]

Notorious BIG
Ready to Die  - Over 3million copies
Live after death - Over 5 million copies

DMX
He is the 5th best-selling rapper, with over 30 million units sold.

Eminem has sold more than 80 million albums worldwide,[3] and worldwide is the best selling music artist of the 2000s.[4] Eminem is also ranked in the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time by Rolling Stone magazine.[5] He was also named the Best Rapper Ever By Vibe Magazine.[6]

nigga why u bringin out fake figures, go to wikipedia or hiphop dx and check jigga's album sales, so  pls n pls stop sayin stuff u dont know wen it comes to his record sales

In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 (1997) - 3 million copies
Vol. 2,  Hard Knock Life (1998) - 5 miillion
Vol. 3,  Life and Times of S. Carter (1999) - 3 million copies
The Dynasty: Roc La Familia (2000) - 2 million copies
The Blueprint²: The Gift & the Curse (2002) - 4 million copies
The Black Album (2003) - 4 Million copies
Kingdom Come (2006) - 1.5 Million copies
American Gangster (2007) - 1.6 million copies
The Blueprint 3 (2009) - 1.2 million so far
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by ritchboy(m): 9:00am On Nov 05, 2009
"i dont run rap no more i run the map"
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by omar22(m): 12:24pm On Nov 05, 2009
@HJ - In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 is the second studio album by American rapper Jay-Z, released on November 4, 1997. The album received positive reviews from critics but fans were not embracing Jay-Z's commercialized new image. The album features a much more pop oriented sound than his debut release Reasonable Doubt and went on to receive a Platinum certification from the RIAA, selling more than 1.2 million copies in the U.S.

Producers for Reasonable Doubt such as DJ Premier and Ski contribute to a limited number of beats on this album, though the majority of the production is handled by beatmakers from Puff Daddy's Bad Boy label, giving the album a generally glossier sound than its predecessor. It displayed a shift from the mafioso rap themes of his first effort to the so called "jiggy" era of late 90's hip-hop, often credited to videos and albums from Puff Daddy and his Bad Boy record label's roster of artists including Notorious B.I.G. (the first two singles from his second album were both huge pop hits) and Mase.

The Blueprint²: The Gift & The Curse
Never sold 3m let alone 4m

The Black Album

You know what forget
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by frijos(m): 1:55pm On Nov 05, 2009
lol
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by craziest: 3:11pm On Nov 05, 2009
Another silly comparison. who is JIGGA or Jay Z whatever u call him. If BIGGER was alive Jigga would have been cleaning his shoes and doing a backstage singer for BIG.

WHAt Jay Z biggest rapper ever. SILLY SHIT. Where u come put tupac shakur. Look at thier short music life and the impact they made. jay z is very good no doubt for me i was not near BIG, 2PAC and other Gs rappers. Full stop
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by Vuitton(m): 3:35pm On Nov 05, 2009
Jay Z has sold more than 60million albums worldwide undecided
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by craziest: 3:41pm On Nov 05, 2009
Vuitton:

Jay Z has sold more than 60million albums worldwide undecided

SHIT RUBBISH. That makes him greatest. Thank God i never bought any of those gabbage songs
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by HJ1(m): 4:09pm On Nov 05, 2009
omar22:

@HJ - In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 is the second studio album by American rapper Jay-Z, released on November 4, 1997. The album received positive reviews from critics but fans were not embracing Jay-Z's commercialized new image. The album features a much more pop oriented sound than his debut release Reasonable Doubt and went on to receive a Platinum certification from the RIAA, selling more than 1.2 million copies in the U.S.

Producers for Reasonable Doubt such as DJ Premier and Ski contribute to a limited number of beats on this album, though the majority of the production is handled by beatmakers from Puff Daddy's Bad Boy label, giving the album a generally glossier sound than its predecessor. It displayed a shift from the mafioso rap themes of his first effort to the so called "jiggy" era of late 90's hip-hop, often credited to videos and albums from Puff Daddy and his Bad Boy record label's roster of artists including Notorious B.I.G. (the first two singles from his second album were both huge pop hits) and Mase.

The Blueprint²: The Gift & The Curse
Never sold 3m let alone 4m

The Black Album

You know what forget

i was askin for an album review cos i know in ma lifetime was seen as a very commercial LP wit anoyin tracks like sunshine with babyface and the whole diddy influence in the album cook up.

Like i said wut ever u r lookin for is on his record sales are on wikipedia check jay-z discography.
no more words
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by HJ1(m): 4:15pm On Nov 05, 2009
well i was kinda wrong on the in my lifetime part but the rest are close to bein very correct here is a link to it to clear out issues

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay-Z_discography
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by omar22(m): 4:52pm On Nov 05, 2009
Jay Z has sold more than 60million albums worldwide

Shawn Corey Carter (born December 4, 1969),[1] better known by his stage name, Jay-Z is an American hip hop artist and businessman. He is one of the most financially successful hip hop artists and entrepreneurs in America,[2] having a net worth of over $150 million,[3] selling over 30 million copies of his albums in and receiving several Grammy Awards for his musical work.[4]
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by Vuitton(m): 5:04pm On Nov 05, 2009
Nice link HJ

Reasonable Doubt * Released: June 25, 1996

* RIAA Certification: Platinum
* WW: 1,500,000+

1997 In My Lifetime, Vol. 1

* WW: 1,000,000+

1998 Vol. 2, Hard Knock Life

* CRIA Certification: Platinum
* RIAA Certification: 5x Platinum
* WW: 8,000,000+

1999 Vol. 3, Life and Times of S. Carter

* CRIA Certification: Gold
* RIAA Certification: 3x Platinum
* WW: 4,000,000+

2000 The Dynasty: Roc La Familia

* RIAA Certification: 2x Platinum
* WW: 3,000,000+

2001 The Blueprint

* BPI Certification: Gold
* CRIA Certification: Platinun

2002 The Blueprint²: The Gift & the Curse

* CRIA Certification: 2x Platinum
* WW: 5,000,000+

2003 The Black Album

* WW: 9,000,000+

2006 Kingdom Come

* BPI Certification: Silver

2007 American Gangster

* WW: 2,000,000+

2009 The Blueprint 3

* Release: September 8, 2009
* Label: Roc Nation/Atlantic Records

1 1 1 4

* BPI Certification: Platinum[6]
* CRIA Certification: Gold[7]
* U.S: 1,200,000+

Hope haters know basic arithmetic cos y'al gotta do some math undecided
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by craziest: 5:09pm On Nov 05, 2009
Vuitton:

Nice link HJ

Reasonable Doubt * Released: June 25, 1996

* WW: 1,500,000+

1997 In My Lifetime, Vol. 1

* WW: 1,000,000+

1998 Vol. 2, Hard Knock Life

* RIAA Certification: 5x Platinum
* WW: 8,000,000+

1999 Vol. 3, Life and Times of S. Carter

* CRIA Certification: Gold

2000 The Dynasty: Roc La Familia

2001 The Blueprint

* CRIA Certification: Platinun

2002 The Blueprint²: The Gift & the Curse

* CRIA Certification: 2x Platinum
* WW: 5,000,000+

2003 The Black Album

* WW: 9,000,000+

2006 Kingdom Come

2007 American Gangster

2009 The Blueprint 3

* Release: September 8, 2009
* Label: Roc Nation/Atlantic Records

1 1 1 4

* BPI Certification: Platinum[6]
* CRIA Certification: Gold[7]
* U.S: 1,200,000+

Hope haters know basic arithmetic cos y'al gotta do some math undecided

Trash and so what how many years from 1997 till now he sold all that. WHAT IF BIGGIE WAS ALIVE TILL NOW DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY HE WOLUD HAVE SOLD.

HOW MANY YEARS I ASK AND HOW MANY ALBUM THAT GUY SOLD ALL THAT OVER 13YRS

MY B.I.G WAS JUST THERE FOR A FEW YEARS AND LOOK AT THE IMPACT. THINK MAN
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by Vuitton(m): 5:18pm On Nov 05, 2009
craziest:

Trash and so what how many years from 1997 till now he sold all that. WHAT IF BIGGIE WAS ALIVE TILL NOW DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY HE WOLUD HAVE SOLD.

HOW MANY YEARS I ASK AND HOW MANY ALBUM THAT GUY SOLD ALL THAT OVER 13YRS

MY B.I.G WAS JUST THERE FOR A FEW YEARS AND LOOK AT THE IMPACT. THINK MAN

Dont get it twisted BIG is my top 2 GOAT but nigga dead undecided
BUT Bleep the IF shiit tongue

Jay was never signed under any label from day one. . .
He hustled and set up the Roc with two partners!

JAY AND BIG were friends from Bed Stuy, Jay is still and will be forever grateful for that friendship cool
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by Hardballer(m): 10:57pm On Nov 05, 2009
king dunno jay wud be richer tho

(1) (2) (Reply)

[DOWNLOAD] Tim Godfrey – So Good | Audio Hit The Air In Another Dimension / The King Is Back (eedris Abdulkareem) / LATEST 9JA SONG: You Guys Have To Listen To This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.