Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,785 members, 7,956,002 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:58 PM

If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? (9856 Views)

R.I.P. Notorious B.I.G (tribute) / 15 Years Today, Rip Notorious B.i.g. The Greatest Of All Time / Notorious B.i.g, 14 Years Gone Still Missing You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by A40(m): 1:13am On Nov 06, 2009
All these If's!! No be only If na Ifeanyi

Peeps are saying since Jigga came out since 96 he shoulda sold more and then i ask how many rappers that have been out since then are still relevant now? 11 multiplatinum selling albums na beans? Even Rockstars would kill for that C.V not to talk of rappers
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by Ibime(m): 1:35am On Nov 06, 2009
A-40:

All these If's!! No be only If na Ifeanyi

Peeps are saying since Jigga came out since 96 he shoulda sold more and then i ask how many rappers that have been out since then are still relevant now? 11 multiplatinum selling albums na beans? Even Rockstars would kill for that C.V not to talk of rappers

Jay Z needs to go and address Beanie Siegels allegations instead of acting like a bitch and calling police up and down.

1 Like

Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by A40(m): 1:35am On Nov 06, 2009
This thread reminds me of that line on "Lost Ones" it goes "I heard mofuckas saying they made Hov so made Hov says. . okay so? Make another Hov"

Its actually easier to sell 10mil or 20mil on one album than to sell over a mil on 11 different occasions

@Omar22
Stop misinforming the public and hiphop newjacks
Who was Jay-Z in the 90's? He was one of the Marquee MC's of Def Jam! and Def Jam,Deathrow ruled rap in the late and early 90's respectively. You had to be hot to be in Def Jam's starting roster. So stop downplaying his importance in 90's rap

When did Money Ain't a Thing,Who you with II,Big Pimpin,Hard Knock Life,Can't knock the hustle,Ain't no nigga. . come out? How many rappers dropped 4 platinum selling albums and 3 chart topping albums in the 90's? You don't have an argument bro. His releasing albums every year shows consistency which 99% of his rap compadres lack

Jay,EM,Pac are actually the only three rappers that have done over 50mil worldwide so i don't know where u got your bad data from. Go do more research Google and Wiki are your friends

Now to to the topic Biggie & Pac are arguably the greatest MC's ever although i still think their sudden deaths did a lot to magnify their legacy like it did for Elvis and to suggest that no other rapper woulda taken their shine (Jay-Z especially) and they woulda reigned till they got tired borders on LUNACY. Even Madonna,M.J,Prince,Elvis fell off to make way for other peeps why would Biggie's case be different?
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by A40(m): 1:39am On Nov 06, 2009
@Ibime
What did Beanie Sigel allege? E be like say the bobo wan starve sha
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by Ibime(m): 1:50am On Nov 06, 2009
A-40:

@Ibime

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV4iSfH1I_4&hl=en&fs=1&[/flash]

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PRGsiAkojk&hl=en&fs=1&[/flash]

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QTG062C60g&hl=en&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by Vuitton(m): 9:28am On Nov 06, 2009
Ibime:

Jay Z needs to go and address Beanie Siegels allegations instead of acting like a bitch and calling police up and down.

He has replied like ages ago undecided

Check it out: http://www.hiptics.com/2009/10/30/jay-z-responds-to-beanie-sigel-diss-at-press-conference/

A-40:

So what is Beanie Sigel venting about?

A-40: Beanie Sigel used “Average Cat” to vent his frustration about Jay-Z’s business practices.

1. Beanie says Jay-Z never visited, let alone sent him a letter while he served a year and a day prison bid.
2. Sigel echoes 50 Cent’s sentiments that Jay-Z never handles his own rap beefs, instead asking rappers on his team to take care of it. Beanie Sigel was one of those rappers Jay-Z used as defense. (”I fought all them battles…Jadakiss, Nas, Dipset.” ©Beanie Sigel)
3. At one point in his rhyme, Beanie makes it sound like Jay-Z called the cops on him during a recent concert, and that when Beans met with Jay-Z about getting released, Jay refused.

“Jay in another place and I understand that. He did what he did as far as signing people to Roc-A-Fella Records, you did that,” Sigel told Charlamagne Tha God. “But as far as the push that people coulda got that really could have did things, you didn’t do that. If you look at 50 Cent – no disrespect to the G-Unit, cause I love the way 50 Cent did with his dogs – but if you look at it, them dudes got more money and more bread than anybody in State Property. Because 50 made sure of that. 50 took his people on tour and paid them, not tell them it was a good look for them to be on tour.”

Beanie disappoint me sha embarassed

Normally a new signing shud already be grateful for a RECORD DEAL!
He gets supported by having freedom to establish his own RECORD LABEL!!
Jay also gave him connect and support for A CLOTHING LINE!!!

WTF is Beanie Sigel talkin bout angry
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by ritchboy(m): 9:34am On Nov 06, 2009
^^ "get off my back, i dont have a beard and santa clause aint black!" cheesy
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by Vuitton(m): 9:41am On Nov 06, 2009
Got this to say:

Jay Z is ALIVE!

He got money (richest hip hop artist last year period rankin and net worth)
power (ask Obama, the Mayor, BET, Mtv et al)
respect (Elvis is history. . .  Only the Beatles have more No 1 album than dude)

Most anticipated and Hottest Rap Album of the year (Forget Relapse cos e no reach Blueprint III)
Hottest Chick on the planet

Oops gotta get back to work, will update later  cool

Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by Vuitton(m): 9:46am On Nov 06, 2009
ritchboy:

^^ "get off my back, i dont have a beard and santa clause aint black!" cheesy

"I repeat, you cant sit on my lap, i dont have a beard now get off my sack! Scream @ me!!"
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by Ibime(m): 11:08am On Nov 06, 2009
Why would Jay Z go to court as a character witness for Beanie Sigel, then after giving a glowing witness of Beanie, at the end of the hearing, when the Judge asked Jay Z if he can guarantee that Beanie will stay out of touble under his watch, Jay Z said no. And then Beanie gets put back in Jail.

I think thats wrong.
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by Vuitton(m): 12:13pm On Nov 06, 2009
I dont know the authenticity of your statement but if he did it must have been for a valid reason. Maybe Jay dont trust beans xter undecided What if he truly violates the guarantee, thereby implicating J Jay cant baby sit Beanie shocked
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by omar22(m): 9:11pm On Nov 07, 2009

A rockstar would twice as much as Jay Z has sold in his entire career
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by omar22(m): 9:33pm On Nov 07, 2009
Jay,EM,Pac are actually the only three rappers that have done over 50mil worldwide so i don't know where u got your bad data from. Go do more research Google and Wiki are your friends

Jay Z has not sold 50 million records go to forbes.com and read about Jay Z "50m my backside"

Now when you look at Kanye West last 4 album has out sold Jay Z 4 albums

50 Cents last 6 out sold Jay Z last six album

I know its all ifs and buts, but Bigger alive, Jay Z would be a full time designer for his ROC-A-WEAR
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by A40(m): 12:50am On Nov 08, 2009
@Omar22
Are you asking me to go to Forbes.com to find out accurate record sales info? You must be sniffing barbiturates bro. You seem not to know what u are talking about. Kanye's last 4 albums all sold more than Jigga? Dude you need rehab

Kindly list 50's albums please all six of them! and no Get Rich or Die Tryin OST and T.O.S don't count (those ones no kuku sell) Good grief are you man or machine?

Whether you believe it or not Jigga has sold over 50mil along with EM and Pac
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by laggchick: 6:30pm On Nov 08, 2009
jay-z would never have gotten the throne if my husband were still alive
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by frgy1: 9:50pm On Nov 08, 2009
i wonder wen all this shit is gona end. every1 dey entitled to his/her own best rapper, so wenever ur saying someone is the best, put d word "my" in front. 4some people eyes soulja boy is better than jay z. cheesy
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by muffins(f): 12:17am On Nov 09, 2009
Is Jay-Z a king? since when? shocked shocked shocked
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by HJ1(m): 8:15am On Nov 09, 2009
omar22:

Jay Z has not sold 50 million records go to forbes.com and read about Jay Z "50m my backside"

Now when you look at Kanye West last 4 album has out sold Jay Z 4 albums

50 Cents last 6 out sold Jay Z last six album

I know its all ifs and buts, but Bigger alive, Jay Z would be a full time designer for his ROC-A-WEAR

niga stop this false infos, it's really pissin me off. First u came wit wrong, i cleared dat out, now u here wit crap talks about kanye outsellin hove. Nigga pls be gone wit this.
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by MrMurdah: 4:43pm On Nov 11, 2009
Now to to the topic Biggie & Pac are arguably the greatest MC's ever although i still think their sudden deaths did a lot to magnify their legacy like it did for Elvis and to suggest that no other rapper woulda taken their shine (Jay-Z especially) and they woulda reigned till they got tired borders on LUNACY. Even Madonna,M.J,Prince,Elvis fell off to make way for other peeps why would Biggie's case be different?

Saying that Biggie would have reigned supreme borders on lunacy?

What makes you think he would have fallen off?

What many of yall fail to deduce from the Pac and Biggie deaths was that it changed the face of Hip Hop entirely.

Hip Hop lost the gangsta color.

And cats like DMX and Ja Rule gained prominence.

Cats started taking hip hop to that Black Eyed Peas level.

And the East turned to another saviour, Jay-Z.

Jay's closest competition was Nas, but we know as far as charisma and presence goes, Nas is as colorless as Shakira farting grin

Props to Jay-Z for stepping up to the plate and taking the game to another level, but he never showed any signs whatsoever of challenging Pac and Biggie when they were alive.

Jay-Z came out of his element, only when these rappers passed away.

New York ceceded the crown to Jay-Z out of love to Biggie. It was only him that showed potential after Biggie's death amongst other East Coast Rappers.

The situation WAS THRUST on him and upgraded Hip Hop.

BUT,

With Biggie and Pac alive, would the game  have changed?

Maybe some other thug non-Jay-Z rappers would have taken over?

Maybe Jay-Z would still be doing  Reasonable Doubt type albums?

Questions, Questions, my 6th sense tells me Jay-Z would have been big, but not this BIG.
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by A40(m): 6:35pm On Nov 11, 2009
@Mr Murdah
Lemme throw your question right back at you! What makes you think he would not have fallen off? I have named bigger artistes that fell off in ma previous posts. Who says we would not have grown tired of Big & Pac if they where still alive? Their deaths did not change much. You guys make it sound like they where breaking into studios and beating other rappers up and would have been doing the same if they where still around! Peeps where doing well when they where still alive! The Fugees,L.L,Dre,Snoop e.t.c Biggie & Pac did not even invent gangsta rap so their deaths could not have made it disappear. I love Biggie & Pac but sometimes i think y'all give em too much credit

Jay-Z came out 96. Pac died same year BIG died the next! FYI he had dropped an undeniable classic during that period so it wasn't like he was BIG's hypeman or runner he was doing his own thing. Sadly neither Pac or BIG hung around long enuff so you can't say he didn't challenge them when they died within months of Jigga's debut
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by tayoast(m): 11:42pm On Nov 11, 2009
The word 'IF' has rendered d whole thread needless, meaningless & useless!!!
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by MrMurdah: 10:49am On Nov 12, 2009
Posted by: A-40

Biggie & Pac did not even invent gangsta rap so their deaths could not have made it disappear

Never said Pac or Biggie invented gangsta rap! But saying their deaths did not contribute to it's falling,you wrong there.

I love Biggie & Pac but sometimes i think y'all give em too much credit

Give them credit by saying the Hip Hop landscape would have been different if they were alive, well that's a funny way to put it!

Lemme throw your question right back at you! What makes you think he (BIGGIE) would not have fallen off? I have named bigger artistes that fell off in ma previous posts

Jay-Z came out 96. Pac died same year BIG died the next! FYI he had dropped an undeniable classic during that period so it wasn't like he was BIG's hypeman or runner he was doing his own thing

True, Biggie/Pac might have fallen off. What makes you think Jay-Z might not have fallen off after his first album?

Or just enjoyed moderate success?

You seem to forget that Reasonable Doubt was totally different from other Jay-Z album's that followed. It delved deep into Jay-Z's criminal life style and hustle. It was a sign of the Hip Hop times,

YOU cannot compare his mafioso rap on that album with ANY other album (save for American Gangster and we know he was following a theme there)

Hip Hop was what it was at that point, and it changed after the demise of Hip Hop's leading lights.

tayo_ast

The word 'IF' has rendered d whole thread needless, meaningless & useless!!!

I wonder, how you would have like this thread to go if probabilty was not a basis for discussion.

Jigga is alive, Biggie is dead, so if it's not probablity, what would you have it be?
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by eldee(m): 11:57am On Nov 12, 2009
Mr Murdah:

True, Biggie/Pac might have fallen off. What makes you think Jay-Z might not have fallen off after his first album?

Or just enjoyed moderate success?

You seem to forget that Reasonable Doubt was totally different from other Jay-Z album's that followed. It delved deep into Jay-Z's criminal life style and hustle. It was a sign of the Hip Hop times,

YOU cannot compare his mafioso rap on that album with ANY other album (save for American Gangster and we know he was following a theme there)

Hip Hop was what it was at that point, and it changed after the demise of Hip Hop's leading lights.

tayo_ast

I wonder, how you would have like this thread to go if probabilty was not a basis for discussion.

Jigga is alive, Biggie is dead, so if it's not probablity, what would you have it be?
What makes us think Jay-Z wouldn't have fallen off?? Because he didn't!!!
He's not someone that just lives in the studio pouring out gangsta bullshit . . . he's got his ear on the ground.
He's innovative, he can sense when people will get tired of sumn . . . he sees the future.

Jay-Z was a success even while B.I.G was alive, Nas released arguably the best hiphop album of all time before Biggie came out. . . so what's the bullshit about??

Jay-Z was a commercial success not because of the 'shoot em up' lines but because he could cross-over and sell to the right people.
For Bleep's sake, he made a whole album with Linkin Park . . . the result, breaking the UK and Europe.

Jigga changes his whole persona with every 2-3 albums . . . Biggie and Pac would have had to do that to still be up there.

Truthfully, I wanna rhyme like Common Sense, but I did five mill and I ain't been rhyming like Common since

Before I Self-destruct, doyou know Ready to Die Peaked at number 15 on the Billboard album charts
??
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by A40(m): 3:17pm On Nov 12, 2009
@Mr Murdah
Firstly gangsta rap didn't fail after they died the likes of Snoop,DMX,JaRule where still around even 50 & The Game dabbled into gangsta rap and where successful heck Rick Ross and Jigga still do some mafioso rap and are doing good. If there's a lull in that rap genre its cos peeps are tired of that theme

What would make the landscape different?like i said before other rappers where doing well when they where alive L.L and The Fugees did not have to switch to gangsta rap to make it

Thirdly BP3 is Jay-Z's 11th album and he has not fallen off so that answers your question

Fourthly Reasonable Doubt was more critical than commercial success. Why did you think he slightly altered his style on his next album. Even B.I.G's 2nd album was way more commercial than his first and that had nothing to do with Hip Hop times those niggas had to eat

They where the leading acts but the belief that things would have stayed the same if they where around is erroneous and is based more on sentiments than facts
Re: If Notorious B.I.G. Was Alive: Would Jay-z Be King? by cupidhero(m): 1:01pm On Nov 17, 2014
frijos:
@poster, the answer is yes. Because Jay Z is really smart. I don't think BIG  have/will have the kind of abilities Hov has in terms of business and longevity. I'm sure and i don't mean to disrespect the dead but folks wud've been bored of BIG by now but Jay Z is always in tune and remains relevant in today's music.  cool
we would have been bored of pac and not B.I.G, are you bored of rickross? we all know rozzay's style and biggie's ain't too different. B.i.G's flows were futuristic. he would have survived till now plus the whole versace and looking fly flow was his selling point.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Shina Rambo Ft. Davido – Take You Round The World / Patoranking – This Kind Love Ft. Wizkid (official Video) / Dj Mixtape: Dj_pee – Best Of Sean Tizzy Official Mix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.