Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,126 members, 7,835,789 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:00 PM

The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins (13400 Views)

Atheist Richard Dawkins: Getting Rid Of God Would Make World Less Moral / Crowd Laughs Hysterically As Richard Dawkins Flounder With Meaning Of Nothing / Christians, Why Do You Hate Richard Dawkins this much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:53pm On Nov 17, 2016
CoolUsername:

to spirituality because it was the inability for man to understand his immediate surroundings that gave birth to religion in the first place .

This is why you think the analogy is flawed . Its more of a preconception . Spirituality exists outside religion . In Unitarian Universalism , the irreligious such as the deists , atheists and agnostics seek spiritual growth .
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:59pm On Nov 17, 2016
akintom:

May be if you attempt them, it might smoke out your sneaky skydaddy.

Actually Zeus can be referred to as a skydaddy , hopefully the earth's thermal radiation can smoke him out of his hiding .

Sorry for being pedantic , I've got fastidious eyes smiley

1 Like

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by akintom(m): 2:03pm On Nov 17, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

This is why you think the analogy is flawed . Its more of a preconception . Spirituality exists outside religion . In Unitarian Universalism , the irreligious such as the atheists and agnostics seek spiritual growth .

Why do you always get yourself twisted? How can "spirituality" exist outside religion?

And when does rational atheism started been seekers of spirits?

All because you don't check definition of words......

"Religion is a cultural system of behaviors and practices, world views, sacred texts , holy places, ethics, and societal organisation that relate humanity to what an anthropologist has called "an order of existence ".

Different religions may or may not contain various elements, ranging from the " divine ", "sacred things", " faith", a "supernatural being or supernatural beings" or "some sort of ultimacy and transcendence that will provide norms and power for the rest of life"
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by akintom(m): 2:06pm On Nov 17, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Actually Zeus can be referred to as a skydaddy , hopefully the earth's thermal radiation can smoke him out of his hiding .

Sorry for being pedantic , I've got fastidious eyes smiley

How is your personal God different from Zeus?
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:10pm On Nov 17, 2016
akintom:

Why do you always get yourself twisted? How can "spirituality" exist outside religion?

And when does rational atheism started been seekers of spirits?

All because you don't check definition of words......

"Religion is a cultural system of behaviors and practices, world views, sacred texts , holy places, ethics, and societal organisation that relate humanity to what an anthropologist has called "an order of existence ".

Different religions may or may not contain various elements, ranging from the " divine ", "sacred things", " faith", a "supernatural being or supernatural beings" or "some sort of ultimacy and transcendence that will provide norms and power for the rest of life"

See bro , when I argue or discuss , I see the subject matter from different perspectives at the same time . Some see the spirit , the immaterial part of man , as being part of what makes man different from sub species and that spirits are constituents of nature and has nothing to do with the supernatural . So those that those see it that way go to Unitarian Universalism to help them grow spiritually .
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:12pm On Nov 17, 2016
akintom:

How is your personal God different from Zeus?

Because he does not exist in this universe , the Supreme Being's immanence makes him a Personal God - I believe the Supreme Being is immanent .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:15pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

dude doesnt get it yet!

No mind am grin
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by CoolUsername: 2:48pm On Nov 17, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
I had to post Stephen Hawkings' lecture on beginning of time expounding the reasons why the universe does have a beginning which confutes your assertion that there's nothing that indicates the Universe needs one to exist . Stephen Hawking said : However, many people were unhappy with the idea that the universe had a beginning, because it seemed to imply the existence of a supernatural being who created the universe. It simply means that the beginning of the universe and time boldly suggests that the Universe must have needed something transcendent or supernatural orchestrating its existence .He also went ahead to prove that the universe and time itself had a beginning in the big bang
This is why I asked if you even read the link to the end. The article then goes to show why the Universe having a beginning doesn't necessarily point towards a creator.
KingEbukasBlog:
I posted the link which included many evidences proving the presence of consciousness in the absence of matter as the buttress to my claim that God as an incorporeal being does exist as a separate conscious entity. In short , OBEs are enough proof that consciousness does exist without matter. And it does not have to be a near death experience , there are cases of astral projection which involves willfully experiencing self awareness outside one's body. Like Naijadeyhia put across to you , simply , if you have not experienced something you have no logical reason to reject it or claim it is false. So if you have not experienced OBEs , don't reject it with the obvious aim of sustaining your belief in naturalism .
I don't know why you continue to insist that mind trips prove consciousness without matter when the brain itself is the originator of such experiences. http://sploid.gizmodo.com/scientists-unlock-mystery-of-woman-who-sees-herself-out-1538196076
KingEbukasBlog:
I clearly said that God's divinity permeates everything that exists now I'm going further to say that everything that exists is a manifestation of Itself . That's why I posted the link of my thread : "The Logic of God and Everything" . And to every manifestation in whatever realm/dimension there are laws that serve as a guide . God is an omniscient being so whatever difficulty you feel that must have been encountered during the creation of the universe , evidently he is knowledgeable enough to obviate anything undesirable .
What proof do you have for this? Why is there even a need for you to formulate such a being when its properties don't even make any logical sense. Omniscience and omnipotence are meaningless traits no matter how you look at it. Why would an omniscient being even want to create a Universe? It can already see every single event that would ever happen, can't it? Can you -without anthropomorphizing this entity- give a reason as to why it would create a Universe?
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 3:00pm On Nov 17, 2016
CoolUsername:
This is why I asked if you even read the link to the end. The article then goes to show why the Universe having a beginning doesn't necessarily point towards a creator. I don't know why you continue to insist that mind trips prove consciousness without matter when the brain itself is the originator of such experiences. http://sploid.gizmodo.com/scientists-unlock-mystery-of-woman-who-sees-herself-out-1538196076 What proof do you have for this? Why is there even a need for you to formulate such a being when its properties don't even make any logical sense. Omniscience and omnipotence are meaningless traits no matter how you look at it. Why would an omniscient being even want to create a Universe? It can already see every single event that would ever happen, can't it? Can you -without anthropomorphizing this entity- give a reason as to why it would create a Universe?

Logical fallacy again. Have you tasted Omniscience, Omnipotence before to know that it is illogical to be applied to creation? Have you worn Gods shoes to know how it fits or why he even chose those shoes?

Are you not glad you exist? If you are not then i am for you because without Him you would ne sitting behind your phone or computer mouthing off. Plus for every cause there is an effect right? Since you are ignorant of how the spiritual works wait till you become a member of Gods board of trustees so you can be privy to some answers.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by CoolUsername: 3:11pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:
[/b]

Logical fallacy again. Have you tasted Omniscience, Omnipotence before to know that it is illogical to be applied to creation? Have you worn Gods shoes to know how it fits or why he even chose those shoes?

Are you not glad you exist? If you are not then i am for you because without Him you would ne sitting behind your phone or computer mouthing off. Plus for every cause there is an effect right? Since you are ignorant of how the spiritual works wait till you become a member of Gods board of trustees so you can be privy to some answers.

Dude, until you prove spirituality beyond all reasonable doubt, I won't believe it. Nobody builds bridges or airplanes based on hearsay. Science is our most reliable way of solving problems.

Once you can prove what you're saying beyond all reasonable doubt then it becomes a scientific phenomenon.

The point is that, you neglected to address my questions.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:14pm On Nov 17, 2016
CoolUsername:
This is why I asked if you even read the link to the end. The article then goes to show why the Universe having a beginning doesn't necessarily point towards a creator.

Hawking stated that the laws of physics could have been involved in the universe's beginning . It wasn't stated with certitude , it was a surmise. But how did these laws start to exist in the first place ? What accounts for the presence of the laws ?

The fact that people deny the existence of God is because they thought the universe could be eternal and since evidence shows that time and the universe had a beginning , they are wrong and indeed this suggests the universe has a creator, a transcendent one .

CoolUsername:
I don't know why you continue to insist that mind trips prove consciousness without matter when the brain itself is the originator of such experiences. http://sploid.gizmodo.com/scientists-unlock-mystery-of-woman-who-sees-herself-out-1538196076 What proof do you have for this?

She induces her hallucination , in simple terms , she creates vivid images of herself alone. OBEs involve experiences which include other people , observing events as they happen outside one's body . Its like being in my house and observing what goes on in another person's house without being physically present there .

CoolUsername:

Why is there even a need for you to formulate such a being when its properties don't even make any logical sense. Omniscience and omnipotence are meaningless traits no matter how you look at it. Why would an omniscient being even want to create a Universe? It can already see every single event that would ever happen, can't it? Can you -without anthropomorphizing this entity- give a reason as to why it would create a Universe?

That's where religion or other philosophical doctrine come in . What's the purpose of my creation , why was the universe created?

In deism , the universe could be seen as an evidence of God's intelligence and creativity - God may have created the universe for the purpose of exhibiting his intelligence .

In Christianity , God created the universe and man for his glory . And that man can have a relationship with God , praising and exalting his name forever and ever .

There other religious doctrines that tend to explain the purpose of the universe . In Nihilism which atheists subscribe to , the universe and life are purposeless and meaningless - they are seen as products of chance .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by akintom(m): 3:19pm On Nov 17, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

See bro , when I argue or discuss , I see the subject matter from different perspectives at the same time . Some see the spirit , the immaterial part of man , as being part of what makes man different from sub species and that spirits are constituents of nature and has nothing to do with the supernatural . So those that those see it that way go to Unitarian Universalism to help them grow spiritually .

You see, when you're engaging a rational atheist in debate, please always remember that, word definition within the context of that discussion, is TAKEN seriously.

To me and other rational atheists, man is psychosomatic. And the immaterial part called mind, is simply what the physical brain (material) does.

Spirit or spiritual belongs in theistic vocabulary.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Certitude(m): 3:20pm On Nov 17, 2016
KingEbukasBlog i take Yahweh and FSM beg you, find a synonym to cer.titude
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:24pm On Nov 17, 2016
akintom:

You see, when you're engaging a rational atheist in debate, please always remember that, word definition within the context of that discussion, is TAKEN seriously.

To me and other rational atheists, man is psychosomatic. And the immaterial part called mind, is simply what the physical brain (material) does.

There is no such thing as rational atheists since atheism is illogical .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 17, 2016
CoolUsername:

Dude, until you prove spirituality beyond all reasonable doubt, I won't believe it. Nobody builds bridges or airplanes based on hearsay. Science is our most reliable way of solving problems.

Once you can prove what you're saying beyond all reasonable doubt then it becomes a scientific phenomenon.

The point is that, you neglected to address my questions.

Same way you neglected addressing mine on 4 attempts. You are natural while i am both natural and spiritual do you in all saneness think you and i would ever agree and again i ask you this do you assume that everything must be the way we humans want it to be? Science hasnt even conclussively been able to prove the natural world which they see and you want them to now prove God "beyond all reasonable doubt"?

You should be asking yourself first how this your "beyond reasonable doubt" is even applicable when dealing with you atheists bcause you all can be as slippery as snakes when it comes to rationality.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by akintom(m): 3:31pm On Nov 17, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Because he does not exist in this universe , the Supreme Being's immanence makes him a Personal God - I believe the Supreme Being is immanent .

It's simply a matter of your personal belief. If you leave it at that, it's ok.

But not that you know, that your God is also inherent in my experience and existence.

Though Zeus is a god among the deistic group, Zeus nevertheless, shares the immaterial and personal attributes of your personal God. So they are one and the same, in their conceptual existence.

Transcendency or immanence is just a concept created by the theologians, for the purpose of presenting a personal God, that can't be related with rationally.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 3:33pm On Nov 17, 2016
akintom:

Then quit with your argument because Kingebukasblog is clearly on a higher level of reasoning than you are. He subcribes to the earthly as well as the divine while you subscribe to just the earthly yet you claim to be open minded and a critical thinker?

Lol he calls himself a "rational" atheist!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by akintom(m): 3:34pm On Nov 17, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Can you please explain why:

* there's no such thing as rational atheists

* and why atheism is illogical
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by akintom(m): 3:37pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Then quit with your argument because Kingebukasblog is clearly on a higher level of reasoning than you are. He subcribes to the earthly as well as the divine while you subscribe to just the earthly yet you claim to be open minded and a critical thinker?

You're simply inverted in mental decency.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 17, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

See Finishing! grin grin

[img]http://h6.abload.de/img/0382_s7tr.gif[/img]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 3:40pm On Nov 17, 2016
akintom:

You're simply inverted in mental decency.

"inverted in mental decency" How ironical.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Seun(m): 3:41pm On Nov 17, 2016
As atheists, we should spend less time engaging in endless debates with apologists. Let's focus on people who honestly believe that God is real.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:43pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Thanks bro . I can't imagine how someone would claim to open minded and a critical thinker yet reject overwhelming evidence of the existence of the supernatural just to sustain his unbelief .

One word : delusion

Lmaooo grin grin grin

Damn ! Every single post , every single meme is so point . Fire on bro cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 17, 2016
Seun:
As atheists, we should spend less time engaging in endless debates with apologists. Let's focus on people who honestly believe that God is real.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 17, 2016
Seun:

Seun my dear Christian Apologists are the backbone of Christianity and evangelicals. Win over an apologist and you win 100 people to your side. We are meant to be your target and not the fledgelings which you seem to think are the ones who "honestly" believe God is real.

Would there be Apologists if they did not believe God is Real?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:46pm On Nov 17, 2016
akintom:

Can you please explain why:

* there's no such thing as rational atheists

You can't be rational if you subscribe to something so illogical as atheism .

* and why atheism is illogical

From Sir DeepSight :

DeepSight:

Atheism is illogical. The plain truth is that whatever one calls what is behind this reality, something is behind it. You may give it any name but it is not absurd to call it God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 3:49pm On Nov 17, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You can't be rational if you subscribe to something so illogical as atheism .

From Sir DeepSight : Atheism is illogical. The plain truth is that whatever one calls what is behind this reality, something is behind it. You may give it any name but it is not absurd to call it God.

Preach brother Preach !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:50pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Seun my dear Christian Apologists are the backbone of Christianity and evangelicals. Win over an apologist and you win 100 people to your side. We are meant to be your target and not the fledgelings which you seem to think are the ones who "honestly" believe God is real.

You just know how to humiliate somebori its not fair at all ... haba !!! grin grin cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 3:52pm On Nov 17, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You just know how to humiliate somebori its not fair at all ... haba !!! grin grin cheesy cheesy

Wetin i go do na. Seun dropped the ball bro. grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Seun(m): 4:08pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:
Evidently. Some people just like arguing and they don't really care whether the things they are arguing for are true or not. They just love it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 17, 2016
Seun:

Evidently. Some people just like arguing and they don't really care whether the things they are arguing for are true or not. They just love it.

Are you refering to me or to the other allegedly "rational" atheists who graced this thread with so much "rationality"? wink wink
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by PDBonline: 4:50pm On Nov 17, 2016
LightandDarkness:
Aren't religious/creationists debaters also guilty of a lot of these?
Thank God someone finally agreed that Dawkins writings swims in fallacies.

Now, to try to assert that someone else is wrong is not the issue here. It's a great virtue to say, "Why! My faults are exposed. I admit I'm wrong."

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Exclusive: Meet Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Look Alike & They Have The Same Initial / What Is Yuletide, And What Does It Have To Do With Christmas?" / Why Christians/Muslims Get Offended By Atheists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.