Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,208 members, 7,836,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins (13404 Views)

Atheist Richard Dawkins: Getting Rid Of God Would Make World Less Moral / Crowd Laughs Hysterically As Richard Dawkins Flounder With Meaning Of Nothing / Christians, Why Do You Hate Richard Dawkins this much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by PDBonline: 5:01pm On Nov 17, 2016
Seun:
As atheists, we should spend less time engaging in endless debates with apologists. Let's focus on people who honestly believe that God is real.
Seun 1) What's would be your definition of "honestly believe"?
2) Is there any scientific evidence backing your subtle assertion that apologists don't honestly believe that God exists?
3) If someone "honestly" believes that God exists, what productive result do you think will come out from a discussion with someone who "honestly" believes that God doesn't exist if none of them (the atheist inclusive) is unwilling to change their minds about the definition of EVIDENCE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by PDBonline: 5:06pm On Nov 17, 2016
akintom:

Why do you always get yourself twisted? How can "spirituality" exist outside religion?

And when does rational atheism started been seekers of spirits?

All because you don't check definition of words......

"Religion is a cultural system of behaviors and practices, world views, sacred texts , holy places, ethics, and societal organisation that relate humanity to what an anthropologist has called "an order of existence ".

Different religions may or may not contain various elements, ranging from the " divine ", "sacred things", " faith", a "supernatural being or supernatural beings" or "some sort of ultimacy and transcendence that will provide norms and power for the rest of life"
Why won't we be right to claim that atheism is a form of religion.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 17, 2016
PDBonline:

Thank God someone finally agreed that Dawkins writings swims in fallacies.

Now, to try to assert that someone else is wrong is not the issue here. It's a great virtue to say, "Why! My faults are exposed. I admit I'm wrong."

"Dawkins writings swims in fallacies." I didn't say that, I don't even agree with most of the OPs post. I said these are things that are common on both sides of the argument. Dawkins "faults" are being exposed not mine? I have nothing to admit i'm wrong about.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 17, 2016
PDBonline:

Atheism is not a religion. Religion 1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. 2. a particular system of faith and worship. Atheism is neither, it is more of a worldview.

To put it simply Atheism isnt a religion like "off" isnt a TV channel.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 17, 2016
LightandDarkness:

"Dawkins writings swims in fallacies." I didn't say that, I don't even agree with most of the OPs post. I said these are things that are common on both sides of the argument. Dawkins "faults" are being exposed not mine? I have nothing to admit i'm wrong about.

Your attempt at trying to point out that what dawkins says and is seen as fallacious is also what theists do clearly shows you agree that dawkins comments and writings are riddled with fallacies. You agreed with the OP directly. Now that you agreed with the OP what PDBonline expected was for you or your likes to say yes Dawkins is fallacious and we are sorry about that but rather than do that you all went on your own run of fallacies.

Get it now?
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:
[/b]

Logical fallacy again. Have you tasted Omniscience, Omnipotence before to know that it is illogical to be applied to creation? Have you worn Gods shoes to know how it fits or why he even chose those shoes?

Are you not glad you exist? If you are not then i am for you because without Him you would ne sitting behind your phone or computer mouthing off. Plus for every cause there is an effect right? Since you are ignorant of how the spiritual works wait till you become a member of Gods board of trustees so you can be privy to some answers.

fallacy of unwarranted assumption. You are assuming there is a spiritual to have knowledge of and also that he was created by a god.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 17, 2016
LightandDarkness:

Atheism is not a religion. Religion 1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. 2. a particular system of faith and worship. Atheism is neither, it is more of a worldview.

This same repetetive definition of atheism. You all must be reading from the same book. Atheism is a self view bro.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

These same repetetive definition of atheism. You all must be reading from the same book. Atheism is a self view bro.

Not sure what you're trying to say here
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 17, 2016
LightandDarkness:

fallacy of unwarranted assumption. You are assuming there is a spiritual to have knowledge of and also that he was created by a god.

I am not assuming! From my perspective i know so there is no fallacy from my end or have you forgotten i am a believer in God?
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Your attempt at trying to point out that what dawkins says and is seen as fallacious is also what theists do clearly shows you agree that dawkins comments and writings are riddled with fallacies. You agreed with the OP directly. Now that you agreed with the OP what PDBonline expected was for you or your likes to say yes Dawkins is fallacious and we are sorry about that but rather than do that you all went on your own run of fallacies.

Get it now?

Why would I be sorry or be overly concerned that Dawkins arguments are flawed (not that I think they completely are). My point is if you're saying Dawkins arguments are weak because of this, the same could be said of any theist that does the same xD
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 17, 2016
LightandDarkness:

Not sure what you're trying to say here

i wrote in english
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

I am not assuming! From my perspective i know so there is no fallacy from my end or have you forgotten i am a believer in God?

There is a big difference between believing and knowing, dont confuse the two.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 17, 2016
LightandDarkness:

Why would I be sorry or be overly concerned that Dawkins arguments are flawed (not that I think they completely are). My point is if you're saying Dawkins arguments are weak because of this, the same could be said of any theist that does the same xD

not weak .....flawed! Fallacious!

1 Like

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 5:29pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

i wrote in english

"These same repetetive definition of atheism. You all must be reading from the same book. Atheism is a self view bro."

I can't tell what point you're making here
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 5:30pm On Nov 17, 2016
LightandDarkness:

There is a big difference between believing and knowing, dont confuse the two.

Dude a believer in God knows who GOD Is and that He is behind creation. So yes i do not believe, i know there is a difference!
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by PDBonline: 5:45pm On Nov 17, 2016
LightandDarkness:

1) When they start talking about SPIRITuality then they are sending mixed signals.
2) Faith in God or a god or gods etc are VIEWS too
3) Dictionary definition changes with time.
4) Theism is different from religion. One is the believe, the other is the outward practice. Theism vs Atheism, Religious vs Irreligious. Therefore, an atheist may be religious.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by PDBonline: 5:55pm On Nov 17, 2016
Seun:
As atheists, we should spend less time engaging in endless debates with apologists. Let's focus on people who honestly believe that God is real.
Seun I HONESTLY believe God is real. In fact, I know He is my Father. I don't understand what you meant by "honestly believe" but I'll like you to discuss with me because , by dictionary definition, I have no doubt I do. Awaiting your response to my questions.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 17, 2016
PDBonline:

1) When they start talking about SPIRITuality then they are sending mixed signals.
2) Faith in God or a god or gods etc are VIEWS too
3) Dictionary definition changes with time.
4) Theism is different from religion. One is the believe, the other is the outward practice. Theism vs Atheism, Religious vs Irreligious. Therefore, an atheist may be religious.

And religion is a system of faith and worship, which gods, rules, doctrines etc. Also You just suggested atheists are irreligious and irreligious literally means not/absent of religion...
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Remilekun101: 5:58pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Who thrashed them? You guys can lie for atheism. William Craig spanked Harris like there was no tomorrow. In fact he spanked him like he gave birth to him. Please focus on the OP. All this your distractions are not needed.

Sam Harris Butchers William Lane Craig in this Religion & god debate ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8czLiXQJcc
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 6:05pm On Nov 17, 2016
Remilekun101:

Sam Harris Butchers William Lane Craig in this Religion & god debate ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8czLiXQJcc

Hahahaha why post a video that an Atheist conveniently tagged in order to massage his bruised ego. I am sure youtube and the comments on Youtube about that video would enlighten you better. Oh FYI there are different Youtube submissions of the same video.

By the way did you know that Richard Dawkins was horrified at the way William Lane Craig spanked Sam Harris that when asked to debate Willliam Craig he bailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y4znlARl08&t=0s
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by PDBonline: 6:06pm On Nov 17, 2016
LightandDarkness:

And religion is a system of faith and worship, which gods, rules, doctrines etc. Also You just suggested atheists are irreligious and irreligious literally means not/absent of religion...
I said "may be religious"
Those dictionary definitions are not real definition but explanations of what exists. It doesn't necessarily cover all about religion. Religion (well, as used in the bible) is just an outward expression of faith which I consider to be a more appropriate definition.

For example, if you claim their is no God or gods yet you worship yourself or some scientists or theories you can be called an irreligious atheist (your believe is incompatible with your expression). Some atheists, for example attend church services and participate in religious rituals.

In the same way, if you believe there is God but don't express it in practice(for whatever reason: peer pressure, fear etc) you are an irreligious theist.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by akintom(m): 6:37pm On Nov 17, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Thanks bro . I can't imagine how someone would claim to open minded and a critical thinker yet reject overwhelming evidence of the existence of the supernatural just to sustain his unbelief .

One word : delusion

Lmaooo grin grin grin

Damn ! Every single post , every single meme is so point . Fire on bro 8

One moment you appear to be intelligent, just a second after, you soak in mental somersault.

What is the meaning of "overwhelming evidence of the existence of the supernatural".

You could as well say overwhelming evidence of the existence of the aliens.

Scientists/researchers didn't coin the phrase "overwhelming evidence", out whimps and caprices. Don't be childish please.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by akintom(m): 6:45pm On Nov 17, 2016
PDBonline:

Seun I HONESTLY believe God is real. In fact, I know He is my Father. I don't understand what you meant by "honestly believe" but I'll like you to discuss with me because , by dictionary definition, I have no doubt I do. Awaiting your response to my questions.

How does this your "real God" look like?
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by akintom(m): 6:48pm On Nov 17, 2016
PDBonline:

The burden of prove is then on you.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by akintom(m): 6:59pm On Nov 17, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You can't be rational if you subscribe to something so illogical as atheism .

From Sir DeepSight :

You're simply soaked in clouds
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 7:05pm On Nov 17, 2016
akintom:

One moment you appear to be intelligent, just a second after, you soak in mental somersault.

What is the meaning of "overwhelming evidence of the existence of the supernatural".

You could as well say overwhelming evidence of the existence of the aliens.

Scientists/researchers didn't coin the phrase "overwhelming evidence", out whimps and caprices. Don't be childish please.

You really are desperate for a victory But guess what....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by PDBonline: 7:09pm On Nov 17, 2016
akintom:

The assumption that the real God must look somehow has no basis. He is Spirit. That's all I can manage to say.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by akintom(m): 7:13pm On Nov 17, 2016
PDBonline:
The assumption that the real God must look somehow has no basis. He is Spirit. That's all I can manage to say.

Putting it to you, real God doesn't exist. It's ok by me.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 7:14pm On Nov 17, 2016
akintom:

The burden of prove is then on you.

Correction!

The burden of proof is then on you
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 7:19pm On Nov 17, 2016
akintom:

^^^^^^^^

Hey guys look up. What sane person would even ask this question? Man sees man but this guy wants to put man on the same pedestal as God in description. If a description of God is given now he would declare like he declared to kingebukasblog that we have our head in the clouds

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by PDBonline: 7:19pm On Nov 17, 2016
akintom:

Putting it to you, real God doesn't exist. It's ok by me.
Ask Him to speak to you in a way you cannot disproof if you want to know whether or not He exists.
If you don't want to know He exists, that's all together a different matter of self-inflicted ignorance.
Re: The Logical Fallacies Of Richard Dawkins by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 17, 2016
PDBonline:

Ask Him to speak to you in a way you cannot disproof if you want to know whether or not He exists.
If you don't want to know He exists, that's all together a different matter of self-inflicted ignorance.

Watch him say he was once a Pastor next.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Christians/Muslims Get Offended By Atheists / I've Been A Deep Believer My Whole Life. / The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.