Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,135 members, 7,863,950 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:29 AM

Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt (11835 Views)

Showdown Imminent As Senate Resumes / Nationwide Blackout Imminent As Power Generation Falls Below 3,000MW / Discos, Gencos Bringing Shame To Govt – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Vince77(m): 8:45am On Nov 19, 2016
No wonder I haven't seen light for two days now.
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Vince77(m): 8:47am On Nov 19, 2016
highrise07:
our administrators are too narrow minded...when we have abundant sunlight and wind, why can't we make use of them....smh

What u need to understand is that some "top men" are feeding from the black out so they cant do anything to make power stable.

1 Like

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by giftedben: 8:51am On Nov 19, 2016
Cunninlinguist:
See how everyone is lamenting,people are being killed, people are starving, businesses folding up, universities churning out new graduates to join the already overpopulated job market.
Nigeria is sitting on a keg of gunpowder because I don't know how long, long suffering Nigerians will continue to endure.
For christ's sake it's almost as if we wake up to bad news everyday!

If care is not taking that aso rock will be bombed.
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 19, 2016
THE EARLIER THE BETTER.BRF AND PMB AND INDEED APC HAS FAILED IN THIS REGARD.
HOW ON EARTH WILL YOU GIVE 3 ENGINEERING BASED MINISTRIES TO A LAWYER.
I WAS WITH PMB BEFORE BUT NOW I CAN'T GUARANTEE MY ALLEGIANCE TO HIM AGAIN.WE MUST CHANGE THIS CHANGE IN 2019.

1 Like

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Skain(m): 8:55am On Nov 19, 2016
Hehe which kain tin be dis na, so outside go dey dark as inside don dark already. abi wetin blackout mean sef.

1 Like

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 19, 2016
Izonpikin:
Where are those hypocrites who were screaming light has improved and screaming Sai fashola and baba..

My people never learn...

The structure we run can never allow us enjoy light 247....we can't run the same failed system over and over again and expect different results...

Nonsense..
They have suddenly gone dumb
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by DeRay98(m): 9:10am On Nov 19, 2016
dragonking3:
Buhari will finish everyone in this country. He should just start from the Afonja slaves and his zombie brothers first. angry angry angry

Unless you're been sarcastic, otherwise you're ignorant.
Which govt or whose administration privatised electricity to these rogue companies?
If Buhari had found faults with the privatisation process and the companies haters would have said he is doing the unnecessary. Since privatisation of power has there ever been any time power improved for a while?
These rogue companies keep making claims for debt on services they never rendered.
Who consumed the amount they are quoting, when and where was the power provided and consumed?
This is what Nigerians should be asking the companies instead of blaming the govt that had no hand in the sale of power Services to thieves.

2 Likes

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Kiakia(m): 9:19am On Nov 19, 2016
Government should take over power generation and distribution from these inefficient GENCOs and DISCOs. However, threatening Nigerians with blackout is laughable. They are already used to the situation. Why do you think they call Fashola Minister of Darkness? Nigeria is a theatre of absurdities.

2 Likes

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Senorprinz(m): 9:23am On Nov 19, 2016
them wan use this one threaten american citizens and na ghanians, cos if na Nigerians, e don fail already.

Genco, Disco, i even think say na two nightclubs dey fight.

2 Likes

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Adesiji77: 9:27am On Nov 19, 2016
To "survive" in this country, you need at least one or a combination of the following;

-Generator
-Inverter
-Solar panel

You just have to generate your own power...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Emassive(m): 9:30am On Nov 19, 2016
The best govr Fashola of darkness Ministry in Nigeria. The man who was in power for 8years without constructing only 1Bridge and didn't build one single new road yet Lagos is a mega city. Enjoy the rocket science lecture sir BRF
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Nobody: 9:33am On Nov 19, 2016
Having read the whole article....I must confess i am on the 'side of the GENCOS and DISCOS''

Now, don't get me wrong. It is obvious government is partly to blame. It owes the GENCOS and DISCOS a lot of money. Then the DISCOS are not giving out prepaid meters to everyone, and there are issues with the billing.

But , let's be honest. We are not going to see improvement in power supply if power supply is not made financially healthy. And thanks to privatization, the money is going to come from our pockets.

We generate 6000MW for Nigeria....on a good day. Meanwhile,six years ago, an expert was saying that Lagos city needs 10000MW to get light 24/7. You would agree that our power supply is a miracle.

If we want light 24/7.....we have to pay the price the DISCOS and GENCOS set. Or we phone our legislator, and get them to pass a bill re-nationalizing the power sector....or a bill making it mandatory that we all get prepaid meters.
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Nobody: 9:35am On Nov 19, 2016
Kiakia:
Government should take over power generation and distribution from these inefficient GENCOs and DISCOs. However, threatening Nigerians with blackout is laughable. They are already used to the situation. Why do you think they call Fashola Minister of Darkness? Nigeria is a theatre of absurdities.

There is a reason why GEJ privatized power...because it 1.Was already very inefficient under government control 2.It would cost trillions of naira to fix up everything...and the government then could not afford it.

If GEJ's government could not afford to fix power with oil at $100 and above....do you expect PMB to do the same with oil at $50 and below.?

And do you want to return to the bad old days of NEPA.?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Raddie(m): 9:37am On Nov 19, 2016
GreatEngineer:
Which black black out? Are we not already in black, 3hrs of light supply a day, what do you call that if not black out.
Really there was a country.
your handle and your comment are two different things.

Bring up an economical solution already - even if it's to make my gen. consume less fuel!
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Moganajoe: 9:38am On Nov 19, 2016
dre11:

http://punchng.com/total-blackout-imminent-gencos-discos-battle-n400bn-debt/

How can you people be talking about increasing tarrif. If govt.agencies & its parastatals are owing go straight to the point and ask them to you. The government is owing you hundreds of billion and you are still pumping them with enough light, we that pays dnt even see the light. na una de do DISCO?

1 Like

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Nbote(m): 9:50am On Nov 19, 2016
Unsad:
Blackout is now normal here where I stay. I don't know where this country is going but I'm not going again

Hahahahahahaha.. I swear we no dey go again oooo..
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by DeRay98(m): 9:50am On Nov 19, 2016
maoolakanm:
THE EARLIER THE BETTER.BRF AND PMB AND INDEED APC HAS FAILED IN THIS REGARD.
HOW ON EARTH WILL YOU GIVE 3 ENGINEERING BASED MINISTRIES TO A LAWYER.
I WAS WITH PMB BEFORE BUT NOW I CAN'T GUARANTEE MY ALLEGIANCE TO HIM AGAIN.WE MUST CHANGE THIS CHANGE IN 2019.

Another myopic assertion. What has Nig Engr been able to do over the decades the they have been running the power sector?
Over the years, our Engrs kept telling the nation that our power challenges was not power generation but power distribution. What did they do about it until govt was advised or forced privatize our power.
Just medical doctors running healthcare into total oblivion and blaming govt for insufficient funding and other healthcare workers for their abysmal failures.
Administration has nothing to do with what you graduated in, but capacity to lead people who have the training to do the job.
Nig Engrs have been a total disgrace, go and see the roads they were given on contracts, see what they construct. angry
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Nbote(m): 9:52am On Nov 19, 2016
How lite go stable wen u hear names like DISCO and GENco in charge of power supply.

1 Like

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by DeRay98(m): 9:56am On Nov 19, 2016
Moganajoe:

How can you people be talking about increasing tarrif. If govt.agencies & its parastatals are owing go straight to the point and ask them to you. The government is owing you hundreds of billion and you are still pumping them with enough light, we that pays dnt even see the light. na una de do DISCO?

They won't confront those govt agencies instead they harass us. These govt agencies and parastatals make budget and collect billions from govt for these same purposes but they never pay. The ogas at the top share the money and nothing is done.
Do the discos and whatever their name is, not know the way to court to get orders to collect their money from the govt. Most the President or the rest be dragged into it?

1 Like

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by DeRay98(m): 9:59am On Nov 19, 2016
Emassive:
The best govr Fashola of darkness Ministry in Nigeria. The man who was in power for 8years without constructing only 1Bridge and didn't build one single new road yet Lagos is a mega city. Enjoy the rocket science lecture sir BRF

Your lies and stupidity stinks like poo angry

1 Like

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Sibrah: 10:02am On Nov 19, 2016
Progressive01:
Please I wanna ask- who are the people that consumed the 100billion being talked about?? 300billion as well??

These guys are yet to tell us the truth.
Good question. Let them publish their to 1,000 debtors
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by DBlackCeazer(m): 10:26am On Nov 19, 2016
I am really tired of all these, power here at Ajah is very poor, as good as a total blackout.
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by walexbiz(m): 10:30am On Nov 19, 2016
Utter rubbish, most of the disco are fraudulent, after mismanaging their income they now give non metered customer crazy bill so as to justify their ineptitude and they expect low income earners to pay.if they are really serious they should metered their customers on prepaid basis and that would help solved the issue at hand, but I can vouch they will never do that. The GENCOS should push for the arrest of the management of the DISCOS as the DISCOS have mismanaged the funds collected from the end users.

1 Like

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by pazienza(m): 10:46am On Nov 19, 2016
One week and counting since we last saw NEPA light in our area.

Before then, it was like 2hrs per day alternated with days of total darkness since 2months and counting now.

So, if this is not blackout that we are experiencing, I don't know what else I should qualify it as.

1 Like

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Charly68: 10:55am On Nov 19, 2016
I only hope things will work in this country sha,the companies collects money for electricity they don't supply,they refused to release prepaid meters for customers,yet they bring ghost & crazy bills despite this they are in debt. May they never come out of the debt again. .Where are we going? They collect unearned revenue yet they are talking of debt..what are they using their money for? It seems the privatisation of the power sector is a complete charm..I pot with Dangote for saying the whole thing should be revoked.

1 Like

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by dragonking3: 11:40am On Nov 19, 2016
DeRay98:

Unless you're been sarcastic, otherwise you're ignorant.
Which govt or whose administration privatised electricity to these rogue companies?
If Buhari had found faults with the privatisation process and the companies haters would have said he is doing the unnecessary. Since privatisation of power has there ever been any time power improved for a while?
These rogue companies keep making claims for debt on services they never rendered.
Who consumed the amount they are quoting, when and where was the power provided and consumed?
This is what Nigerians should be asking the companies instead of blaming the govt that had no hand in the sale of power Services to thieves.
When there is stable light you give the praise to Buhari, but immediately there is total black out you blame the past government.. Please just shut it if you don't have anything reasonable to say. angry
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by allCopacetic: 11:43am On Nov 19, 2016
Charly68:

-the companies collects money for electricity they don't supply,
-they refused to release prepaid meters for customers,
- They collect unearned revenue yet they are talking of debt..what are they using their money for?
These are questions people should really be asking.

Nobody is asking if the consumer is getting his money's worth,
nobody is asking if the consumer is getting any electricity at all.
What they are taking about instead is subsidy for the sector, possibility of increased charges on the customers who is already shortchanged.

These thieves will continue to thwart the proper metering of customers so that they have excuses and have loop holes to exploit.

Meter all customers simple!!
If ministries and govt agencies then decide to illegally by pass the meter ( which is highly unlikely) , then that would be prosecutable as opposed to a debt

Some cabals are sitting somewhere with thier open sepulchres waiting for the government to churn out billions of Naira , so they can add that to the billions they already shortchanged Nigerians of.

1 Like

Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Preator: 12:04pm On Nov 19, 2016
9jakohai:
Having read the whole article....I must confess i am on the 'side of the GENCOS and DISCOS''

Now, don't get me wrong. It is obvious government is partly to blame. It owes the GENCOS and DISCOS a lot of money. Then the DISCOS are not giving out prepaid meters to everyone, and there are issues with the billing.

But , let's be honest. We are not going to see improvement in power supply if power supply is not made financially healthy. And thanks to privatization, the money is going to come from our pockets.

We generate 6000MW for Nigeria....on a good day. Meanwhile,six years ago, an expert was saying that Lagos city needs 10000MW to get light 24/7. You would agree that our power supply is a miracle.

If we want light 24/7.....we have to pay the price the DISCOS and GENCOS set. Or we phone our legislator, and get them to pass a bill re-nationalizing the power sector....or a bill making it mandatory that we all get prepaid meters.
the real problem is that sensible people never get elected. we only elect illiterates and touts with money as legislooters. they do not know that the responsibility of a stable power sector lies with them. but ultimately the fault lies with the electorate who elect and hail this mega-thieves in public(especially the zombies and wailers) and while they snap pictures as someone is lynched for stealing garri. we deserve this hardship and we will continue to suffer until we know that the common thief and the polithievians are the same and should be treated equally.
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Preator: 12:16pm On Nov 19, 2016
allCopacetic:

These are questions people should really be asking.

Nobody is asking if the consumer is getting his money's worth,
nobody is asking if the consumer is getting any electricity at all.
What they are taking about instead is subsidy for the sector, possibility of increased charges on the customers who is already shortchanged.

These thieves will continue to thwart the proper metering of customers so that they have excuses and have loop holes to exploit.

Meter all customers simple!!
If ministries and govt agencies then decide to illegally by pass the meter ( which is highly unlikely) , then that would be prosecutable as opposed to a debt

Some cabals are sitting somewhere with thier open sepulchres waiting for the government to churn out billions of Naira , so they can add that to the billions they already shortchanged Nigerians of.
it is a lack of priority by our legislooters. they mandated that we should register our Sim cards, we all did. they asked us to reg for national ID(which we didn't ultimately get) and we did. same for BVN. I don't see any reasonable gain from all the above excersice.
** but I can see the benefit of enacting a law that mandates that every utility consumer must register with the DISCo in his/her area.

**I can see the benefit of ensuring that at the point of registration you also apply for a meter(preferably prepaid)

** I can see the benefits of subsidizing the cost of meters for the customers until the DISCos are able to repay them.

** I can see the benefit of attaching jail terms and stiff fines to vandalization of utility assets and energy theft.

this will ensure that you get only what you can afford.

customers won't complain of crazy bills anymore.
DISCos won't complain of Debt any more and everyone(NBET, NERC, GENCO, DISCO, TCN, MoD will not be threatening us with blackout we are already experiencing.

their problem is that everyone involved were not sincere.
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by Trybes(m): 12:25pm On Nov 19, 2016
This is what u get when massive corruption ravaged the system.
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by allCopacetic: 12:27pm On Nov 19, 2016
Preator:

it is a lack of priority by our legislooters. they mandated that we should register our Sim cards, we all did. they asked us to reg for national ID(which we didn't ultimately get) and we did. same for BVN. I don't see any reasonable gain from all the above excersice.
** but I can see the benefit of enacting a law that mandates that every utility consumer must register with the DISCo in his/her area.

**I can see the benefit of ensuring that at the point of registration you also apply for a meter(preferably prepaid)

** I can see the benefits of subsidizing the cost of meters for the customers until the DISCos are able to repay them.

** I can see the benefit of attaching jail terms and stiff fines to vandalization of utility assets and energy theft.

this will ensure that you get only what you can afford.

customers won't complain of crazy bills anymore.
DISCos won't complain of Debt any more and everyone(NBET, NERC, GENCO, DISCO, TCN, MoD will not be threatening us with blackout we are already experiencing.

their problem is that everyone involved were not sincere.
They already know this.
But the wont tow that line... For the same exact reason why we haven't' had sustainable refineries for decades.
From directors to ordinary ladder carriers, the system is filled with crooks.
Re: Total Blackout Imminent As Gencos, Discos Battle N400bn Debt by spinola: 2:13am On Nov 20, 2016
Only solution is to generate your own power! mercurydirect.com.ng

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Coalition Commends Buhari For "Liberating 5 North-East States From Terrorists" / Ogun Completes Arakanga Dam Rehabilitation, Set To Distribute Potable Water. / Jonathan Is Clean And Honest – El-Rufai In 2007

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.