Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:32 AM

Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? (15956 Views)

Between Mitsubishi L300 Bus And Nissan Vanette Bus Which Is More Economical / How Economical Are V4 Cars? / Which Is More Economical Toyota Previa 1st Model Vs Audi A4 B6 2.0 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by seguno2: 6:57am On Nov 25, 2016
Joavid:
yea, that blue but is one of the best thing that ever happened to Lagos.

I hope they maintain it.

If we pay our transport fares properly and encourage others to do likewise then the operators will be encouraged to not only maintain the service but also to improve it.
Nevertheless we are not maintenance conscious ourselves. Abi when was the last time you repaired, refurbished, updated and repainted your house, school, mosque, church, shrine, clinic, shop, office, hotel, hostel etc?
When?
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by otimothy(m): 6:58am On Nov 25, 2016
seguno2:

Na you biko. Lol.

My brother na inside one I dey now.

2 Likes

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Handsomecole(m): 7:00am On Nov 25, 2016
Both are important, a private car is essential no doubt about that but it all depends on so many factors.
For the working class that go to work from Mondays to Fridays. If your route to your work place allows you enter the blue BRT straight to work place then maybe to board Keke or bike to get to your actual place of work then public transport might be better. Because the BRT is more comfortable and faster.

Because you will be neat when you get to work, it saves cost, you won't have to bother about your car.

I for one can never and will never enter those yellow rubbish danfo.

Your private car will also be needed if you are going out for leisure, that's where your private car comes in.

For me I choose to use the blue BRT to and fron Ikorodu to the Island no stress at all

So it all depends on when you are to resume work, time, salary range etc. So it's left for the individual to consider all these factors .

So in summary both are important.

3 Likes

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Otitemmanu: 7:01am On Nov 25, 2016
Of course your private car is better
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by buchilino(m): 7:03am On Nov 25, 2016
excanny:
I hope this is the right section. This question has always bothered me and i hope to find satisfactory answer . For a congested city like lagos, which is more expensive, driving a car or using public transport?

AT D MOMENT USING PUBLIC TRANSPORT IS WAY BETA. BUT IF D RAINY SEASON RETURNS, I ADVISE U GET A CAR. ONE DAY ON MY WAY FROM OBALENDE TO MILE 2 DURING D WET SEASON, I DISCOVERED DAT D BUS I ENTERED WAS LEAKING FROM IT'S ROOF, ONLY ONE WIPPER WAS WORKING N FINALLY D HEADLAMP WAS VERY BAD. ALL DIS WAS HAPPENING WHILE WE WERE AT THIRD MAINLAND BRIDGE. I KEPT CALLING BLOOD OF JESUS UNTIL WE GOT 2 OSHODI. ON DAT DAY I DECIDED TO BUY A CAR.

3 Likes

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by LorDBolton(m): 7:03am On Nov 25, 2016
Oba22:
It is a function of your location. I am enjoying blue BRT than driving(ikorodu) for now.
Gbam! If you got a routine pattern that crosses BRT routes, then BRT is the best
#no hold up
#maximum comfort
#no worries on parking space
#trafffic robbery etc

1 Like

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by godunia(m): 7:07am On Nov 25, 2016
Public transport is cheaper but using your personal car is more convenient.

1 Like

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Handsomecole(m): 7:13am On Nov 25, 2016
On point
LorDBolton:

Gbam! If you got a routine pattern that crosses BRT routes, then BRT is the best
#no hold up
#maximum comfort
#no worries on parking space
#trafffic robbery etc

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Exponental(m): 7:22am On Nov 25, 2016
It depends on many factors. All better if you drive against traffic.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Nobody: 7:23am On Nov 25, 2016
If you leave home daily by 5am and return late in the night.

Please endeavour to get a car in Lagos even if it's a small Picanto.

You are likely to be mugged or robbed at those early hours by pickpockets and so on. The probability of it happening in a year is 60% . Just inagine you loosing your phones and personal belongings and the trauma involved. You would understand why getting a car is much more economical.
Also, people forget communicable disease that you tend to get in oublic transport. Someone coughing to your mouth, lice, bed bugs and so on. Factor in the costs of this over a year and you would understand why a private car is essential. People need to also factor in time consumed, i spend 2 hours just following public buses but if i were to drive , i am at work in 40minutes. 1hr 20minutes of your day if costs are factored is no small money.

If your work schedule is however around 8am to 6pm and you are constantly home before sundown and your place ain't too far, better you follow public transport. As for those mentioning BRT. What's the span of those BRT buses

2 Likes

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by TDH01: 7:30am On Nov 25, 2016
excanny:
I hope this is the right section. This question has always bothered me and i hope to find satisfactory answer . For a congested city like lagos, which is more expensive, driving a car or using public transport?

I discovered I was spending 50k monthly on fuel. however, if I do public transport, I only spend 15k. So I drop d car and only drive weekend or Friday's when there is plenty to hang out.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by austinooo(m): 7:34am On Nov 25, 2016
You can't compare the 2 because if you want to consider economics you will have to forgo comfort. The place that I used to take public transport and spend 500 daily now cost me 1000 fuel but the comfort is just not comparable and I just have to continue.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 25, 2016
There are many factors to consider for this, but you can't compare the comfort of your car with those yellow buses.

For me driving is more economical. I did a small analysis and found out that the difference between driving and using public transport is insignificant.

I drive to work everyday and it takes me an average of 15mins (ebute-metta to airport road) on returning it takes an average of 30-45mins.
Both route is off traffic. If your route is like mine and you have a car, its beta u use your car to work.
Using public transport takes time(an average of 70min going to work and same time coming back home)

Though, i spend 3k for fueling weekly for driving while 2k5h for using public transport.

If you have a car like say KIA picanto and your route is like mine, be sure to save more on fuel.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Horlufemi(m): 7:50am On Nov 25, 2016
Week days use public. Weekends or moving around your area use your car.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by markpenk: 7:56am On Nov 25, 2016
Can anyone familiar with the blue brt routes educate all of us so we can use them more? This will be good info particularly for someone who has just moved to lag and needs reliable transport options. Thanks.
Joavid:

yea, that blue BRT is one of the best thing that ever happened to Lagos.

I hope they maintain it.

a wise person in Lagos knows when to use his private car, or take BRT, or take yellow bus, take a cab or take Uber.

Taking in consideration your destination.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by sunnyt1(m): 7:59am On Nov 25, 2016
The topic clearly talked abt the economical view nt comfort, im kinda shocked that most of the responses hv bin on comfort.

To the question, economically, its better to navigate tru lagos via public transport ask working class adults, most of them park their cars at home then use public transport bcs of traffic, fuel, shorter routes to destinations etc

This has bin the source of my view that its nt financially intelligent for some people to buy cars in lagos, most car owners only use them on weekends, for visitation on saturdays then church on sundays, so whats the point commiting a heavy financial arsenal on an asset/liability u might use seldomly. if u must buy a car, consider a not-too-costly one, u wil rarely use it

Bt for comfort and safety, its beta to have and drive ur own car

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Marshallian(m): 8:03am On Nov 25, 2016
To our brothers in Lagos.... This question goes without saying especially our people at ikorodu axes of Lagos.... Spending N4,000 daily + Traffic or N400 Daily - Traffic.... BRT Crews, i sight una

Public Transport is more economical and lol, u get to see a lot
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by mrdino(m): 8:04am On Nov 25, 2016
It depends on ones income and purpose, I mean I cannot advise a person who hasn't got a means of income to be cruising around town with a private vehicle. You need to ask yourself is the private car really serving its purpose, or it's just a luxury to meet status quo.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by buffalowings: 8:07am On Nov 25, 2016
markpenk:
Can anyone familiar with the blue brt routes educate all of us so we can use them more? This will be good info particularly for someone who has just moved to lag and needs reliable transport options. Thanks.

Seconded
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by otunbadan(m): 8:16am On Nov 25, 2016
i worked in lagos for about a year, and i had a car to myself at some point. i wakeup some mornings and take public transport,saved me waking up early issue because i sleep while the danfo driving does the magic of rough driving, they get me there in record time because i dont want to scratch my car.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by donbrowser(m): 8:25am On Nov 25, 2016
samuelson06:
The comfort in your private car and jumping from one dirty yellow bus to another, which one is better?
The topic is not about a dirty yellow bus.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by photoshoot(m): 8:27am On Nov 25, 2016
seguno2:
In a big metropolis like Lagos, public transport is much more efficient and economical.
The challenge is to have COMFORTABLE options for that.
It is a very sad testimony to the poor governance of the state in the last 17 years plus by people who claim to be progreTHIEVES, that such comfortable public transport options are still elusive.
Abi, how many Lagosians hiding in London use their private cars?
How many?

Shut up! undecided

The blue brt isn't enough?
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by upuphim(m): 8:39am On Nov 25, 2016
Public transport remains economical in all parts of the world for going to work. Therefore, Lagos is not left out. Ask those abroad, they use their cars on weekends only, that's why some tokunboh cars remain clean despite ten years usage. Economically, go for public buses. To overcome body stress in Lagos still go for public buses.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by JuanDeDios: 8:41am On Nov 25, 2016
If you live in Ikorodu or Berger or Ketu and work in the Island, BRT would be good for you. They're not available everywhere, though. Private cars are more comfortable but if you're caught in a nasty holdup you may wish you can leave your car there. Public transport drivers do your dirty job of navigating bad roads and bad holdups for you.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by JuanDeDios: 8:45am On Nov 25, 2016
sunnyt1:
The topic clearly talked abt the economical view nt comfort, im kinda shocked that most of the responses hv bin on comfort.

To the question, economically, its better to navigate tru lagos via public transport ask working class adults, most of them park their cars at home then use public transport bcs of traffic, fuel, shorter routes to destinations etc

This has bin the source of my view that its nt financially intelligent for some people to buy cars in lagos, most car owners only use them on weekends, for visitation on saturdays then church on sundays, so whats the point commiting a heavy financial arsenal on an asset/liability u might use seldomly. if u must buy a car, consider a not-too-costly one, u wil rarely use it

Bt for comfort and safety, its beta to have and drive ur own car
Fine point. Lagos.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by legundarybeans(m): 8:56am On Nov 25, 2016
patriotic9jaboy:
Bicycles remains the best mode of navigating lagos. Very economical, No air pollution and natural air bettee than car's air-conditioning.
s

Sun go beat ur life
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by zubby29(m): 9:03am On Nov 25, 2016
Tunmmyzhe:
depend on area ...like me I live in Ijoko in Ogun state and work in Isolo

den no born me well make I take car go work I need 20ltrs( #3k) of fuel to take me to and fro everyday cos my Nissan quest na v6 and dey drink fuel like water And u know traffic on that road?

while my tfare daily is #700 and #540 if a board train.

secondly taking car out in Lagos is permutation o, fair of FRSC,police,lasma and others no go allow u to take motor out o.

20k for only single traffic offence for this recession?

since almost a month now I never start my car talkess of taking it out
if frsc lastma police and worst of dem all vio never do something u no learn. dos people r demons with no conscience. I hate dem with a passion

1 Like

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Abdstrakt(m): 9:06am On Nov 25, 2016
patriotic9jaboy:
Bicycles remains the best mode of navigating lagos. Very economical, No air pollution and natural air bettee than car's air-conditioning.
And one will be sweating like Christmas goat going to the office in the morning.

1 Like

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Abdstrakt(m): 9:08am On Nov 25, 2016
PqsMike:
Truth is.. .
Economically ==== public transport (Especially BRT/LAGBUS)
comfort ====== Private vehicle
Gbam. So na to do cost/comfort/benefit analysis and decide which one to go for.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by olaolaking: 9:14am On Nov 25, 2016
Pavore9:
The comfort and having control over your routes makes life easier.
Which is one is more economical? That is the question.
Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by MaziOmenuko: 9:18am On Nov 25, 2016
N4,000 worth of fuel serves me the entire week including weekend movements.

Cost of entering public transport to and fro my workplace is N900 per day ( x 5 working days = N4,500); and thats like 3 drops + bikes and keke.

For me, both economical and comfort, driving my own car is the best.

Depends on where you are living and how economic is your car.

1 Like

Re: Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? by Nobody: 9:18am On Nov 25, 2016
PqsMike:
Truth is.. .

Economically ==== public transport (Especially BRT/LAGBUS)

comfort ====== Private vehicle
Chop knuckle

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? / Let's Build A Car / Are Nissan Cars Stronger Than Toyota Cars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.