Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,786 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Let's Build A Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Let's Build A Car (16016 Views)

China To Build A Flying Train With A Supersonic Speed Of 4000km/hr / Cummins Just Beat Tesla In The Race To Build A Semi Electric Truck / Why It Takes Six Months To Build A Rolls Royce. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 3:02am On Aug 05, 2016
First things first, without a road map we won't be able to track out journey so let's start with a road map.

The road map starts by us identifying what kind of car we want to build. Do we want to build a people's car that is cheap like VW Beetle or are we going to be like Lexus and take on Mercedes and BMW right off the bat.

Are we going to try to build everything from scratch, simply buy completely knock down kits or are we going to use the world as a shopping mall where we pick and choose subassemblies?

More to come.

Add your intelligent contribution.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 6:16am On Aug 05, 2016
Do you know that there are companies today that makes you brand new body of classic cars?

http://dynacornbodies.com

4 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by LeJeun3: 8:29pm On Aug 06, 2016

Following....

Re: Let's Build A Car by diportivo: 9:50pm On Aug 06, 2016
When uncle egun decides to roll like dis

Small boys like me follow bumper to bumper

E kaale sir cool

7 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by nurey(m): 4:14pm On Aug 07, 2016
Egbon, when we have fed ourselves finish, then we will come to your drawing board and build that car, for now 1$ = #400 and a bag of rice is 20k. grin

11 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by Homguy(m): 6:30pm On Aug 07, 2016
nurey:
Egbon, when we have fed ourselves finish, then we will come to your drawing board and build that car, for now 1$ = #400 and a bag of rice is 20k. grin
grin grin grin grin grin chief nurey, dey pursue your dollars make people wey chop belleful build our Nigerian Maybach.

On the lighter side, you fit even place order after you catch up with dollar.

5 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 6:35pm On Aug 07, 2016
nurey:

l find myself more productive when hunger they catch me grin

14 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 9:57pm On Aug 07, 2016
Sir EgunMogaji a.k.a irunmole to nfi straw je friedrice - Tuale Baba!

Errhm, I just want to know the kinda machine we're building. Is it a Sedan, SUV, Crossover or Yeri nbeto (commot ya head, make I spit a.k.a Volkwagen Alajapa) grin cheesy grin

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Let's Build A Car by nurey(m): 9:57pm On Aug 07, 2016
EgunMogaji:

The kind of hunger catching you is hunger to "eat something different", but the hunger in our land no be for here.

On a lighter note are you giving out recharge card for this project too. I already have a design in mind. Let me give you a glimpse

A car having two separate engines, one in front and the other at the back. Driving both wheels separately but at an equal rotation I had the vision when I was very young I was hoping such configuration would break the barriers in acceleration due to uneven load.

4 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 10:12pm On Aug 07, 2016
nurey:

The kind of hunger catching you is hunger to "eat something different", but the hunger in our land no be for here.

On a lighter note are you giving out recharge card for this project too. I already have a design in mind. Let me give you a glimpse

A car having two separate engines, one in front and the other at the back. Driving both wheels separately but at an equal rotation I had the vision when I was very young I was hoping such configuration would break the barriers in acceleration due to uneven load.

It's been done already in the 60's.

It's called a Twini but I'm sure there are modern ones now.

With these ones that we can squeeze out 1,000 horsepower from a 4cylinder Honda engine, then it seems that we have all the power that we may need.

These are the kinds of projects that I want to dabble into when I retire back home.

First thing I'm doing to start off is buy a Maruwa. Then proceed to reinforce it structurally, remove that pathetic anaemic engine in it and plant a proper Hayabusi engine in it.

Then we go haunt the elites in their fancy cars on a closed race track grin

++++++++++++++++

Engine 1,299 cc (79.3 cu in), 4-stroke inline-four, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve, compression ratio 11:1, Keihin/Denso fuel Injection, wet sump
Bore / stroke 81.0 mm × 63.0 mm (3.19 in × 2.48 in)
Top speed
1999 188–194 mph (303–312 km/h)[2][3]

2000–2007 186 mph (299 km/h)[4][5] See performance and measurements
Power Rear wheel 151.5–162.6 bhp (113–121 kW) bhp @ 9500–9750 rpm, See performance and measurements
Torque 93.4–99.6 lb·ft (126.6–135.0 N·m) @ 6750–7000 rpm, See performance and measurements
Transmission 6-speed, constant mesh, #532 chain drive

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 07, 2016
Zoharariel:
Sir EgunMogaji a.k.a irunmole to nfi straw je friedrice - Tuale Baba!

Errhm, I just want to know the kinda machine we're building. Is it a Sedan, SUV, Crossover or Yeri nbeto (commot ya head, make I spit a.k.a Volkwagen Alajapa) grin cheesy grin

That's what we have to decide as a group.

What makes sense to Nigerians and in Nigeria.

Personally, I think it should be about the size of a VW Golf, on which we can have a 2 door coupe, 4 door sedan and a mini pickup on the same chassis.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let's Build A Car by erico2k2(m): 12:53am On Aug 08, 2016
EgunMogaji:

That's what we have to decide as a group.

What makes sense to Nigerians and in Nigeria.

Personally, I think it should be about the size of a VW Golf, on which we can have a 2 door coupe, 4 door sedan and a mini pickup on the same chassis.
we have to start with components.
I think the easiest part for us would be seats. angry
Re: Let's Build A Car by nurey(m): 5:55am On Aug 08, 2016
EgunMogaji:

It's been done already in the 60's.

It's called a Twini but I'm sure there are modern ones now.

With these ones that we can squeeze out 1,000 horsepower from a 4cylinder Honda engine, then it seems that we have all the power that we may need.

These are the kinds of projects that I want to dabble into when I retire back home.

First thing I'm doing to start off is buy a Maruwa. Then proceed to reinforce it structurally, remove that pathetic anaemic engine in it and plant a proper Hayabusi engine in it.

Then we go haunt the elites in their fancy cars on a closed race track grin

++++++++++++++++

Engine 1,299 cc (79.3 cu in), 4-stroke inline-four, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve, compression ratio 11:1, Keihin/Denso fuel Injection, wet sump
Bore / stroke 81.0 mm × 63.0 mm (3.19 in × 2.48 in)
Top speed
1999 188–194 mph (303–312 km/h)[2][3]

2000–2007 186 mph (299 km/h)[4][5] See performance and measurements
Power Rear wheel 151.5–162.6 bhp (113–121 kW) bhp @ 9500–9750 rpm, See performance and measurements
Torque 93.4–99.6 lb·ft (126.6–135.0 N·m) @ 6750–7000 rpm, See performance and measurements
Transmission 6-speed, constant mesh, #532 chain drive

Building a car is a very good idea, but I think we will be starting too big, in order for this your project to work, partners must be inclined in automotive engineering and technologically sound in automobile know how. Even though I am interested, I am not sound in this aspect, I just have love for cars.

But there is a market in Nigeria that doesn't have sufficient experienced hands to handle, and that is "REBUILDING". I have passed workshops and seen tons of luxurious classic RR, LEXUS LS, CHEVROLET, BENZ, VW all rotten away because of no good hands to rebuild the engine and transmission. I am hoping if one could invest in this aspect, there is gain and happiness in it. Just my opinion though

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Build A Car by tope2045(m): 6:28am On Aug 08, 2016
Any car made in Nigeria will be recognized immediately because it wont be solid and am scared our leaders will use it as another mean to cheat us
tongue cry
Re: Let's Build A Car by OCTAVO: 10:06pm On Aug 08, 2016
I'm following this... I love learning.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 2:36am On Aug 09, 2016
OCTAVO:
I'm following this... I love learning.

It'll be a learning opportunity for all.

Hope the naysayers can go find another thread to hump.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 2:40am On Aug 09, 2016
tope2045:
Any car made in Nigeria will be recognized immediately because it wont be solid and am scared our leaders will use it as another mean to cheat us
tongue cry

1) I'm surprised in what Nigerians accomplish with rudimentary tools and methods. Most folks just need the right tools and guidance. Having a vehicle identified immediately is actually a positive, but only if the product is good. I can spot a Mercedes as easily as I can spot a Micra but each generates a different feeling.

2) The moment anyone reaches out to the government is the beginning of failure. If you have a good product, sound business plan, a respected team then you'll be surprised what private investment can yield.

8 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 2:43am On Aug 09, 2016
nurey:

Building a car is a very good idea, but I think we will be starting too big, in order for this your project to work, partners must be inclined in automotive engineering and technologically sound in automobile know how. Even though I am interested, I am not sound in this aspect, I just have love for cars.

But there is a market in Nigeria that doesn't have sufficient experienced hands to handle, and that is "REBUILDING". I have passed workshops and seen tons of luxurious classic RR, LEXUS LS, CHEVROLET, BENZ, VW all rotten away because of no good hands to rebuild the engine and transmission. I am hoping if one could invest in this aspect, there is gain and happiness in it. Just my opinion though

1) There's a reason why one of my first post is to show a cottage industry in the US that produces bare body shells. So that is a major part of the equation taken out of the way.

2) Those cars that you see are there because they have no value. Trust me, if they have value then why hasn't Gazzuzz picked all of them up? I'm sure he can fix them. Maybe not easily but it can be done.

Why are there more Micras on the road in Ibadan versus says Camry?

It's actually easier to build a car than to rebuild one. Trust me, I've done both.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 2:49am On Aug 09, 2016
erico2k2:

we have to start with components.
I think the easiest part for us would be seats. angry

I agree.

But we have to look at the big picture too.

How can we know what type of seats we want if we don't know what kind of car it's going into. It's like someone molding 9" hollow blocks and not knowing that Chief Designer requires 6" solids grin
Re: Let's Build A Car by nurey(m): 7:49am On Aug 09, 2016
EgunMogaji:

1) There's a reason why one of my first post is to show a cottage industry in the US that produces bare body shells. So that is a major part of the equation taken out of the way.

2) Those cars that you see are there because they have no value. Trust me, if they have value then why hasn't Gazzuzz picked all of them up? I'm sure he can fix them. Maybe not easily but it can be done.

Why are there more Micras on the road in Ibadan versus says Camry?

It's actually easier to build a car than to rebuild one. Trust me, I've done both.

OK, now answer this economic questions
1. What to produce
2. For whom to produce
3. How to produce
4. Target market

1. There are only two categories of cars that sell quickly in Nigeria, a good 4 cylinder engine corolla and camry size and a good CUV to beat the bad roads for those living in certain areas

2. Who are you producing for, the busy executive manager who wants to work while been driven or the young couples who just need a point A to B vehicle

3. Do you want to import CKD and assemble here, or you want to patronise the ajaokuta steel company (which I heard would "soon" be in operation), too bad you can't start a casting and forming metal industry the setup cost and running cost in Nigeria is not economically visible/viable

4. Are you hoping to sell locally, if so what geographical areas are you looking at exposure, population and income. I know how people have criticised innoson but praised Peugeot and Nissan, not knowing they aren't manufacturing jacksh-it but assembling CKD.

OVER TO YOU SIR

5 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 10:48am On Aug 09, 2016
nurey:

OK, now answer this economic questions
1. What to produce
2. For whom to produce
3. How to produce
4. Target market

1. There are only two categories of cars that sell quickly in Nigeria, a good 4 cylinder engine corolla and camry size and a good CUV to beat the bad roads for those living in certain areas

2. Who are you producing for, the busy executive manager who wants to work while been driven or the young couples who just need a point A to B vehicle

3. Do you want to import CKD and assemble here, or you want to patronise the ajaokuta steel company (which I heard would "soon" be in operation), too bad you can't start a casting and forming metal industry the setup cost and running cost in Nigeria is not economically visible/viable

4. Are you hoping to sell locally, if so what geographical areas are you looking at exposure, population and income. I know how people have criticised innoson but praised Peugeot and Nissan, not knowing they aren't manufacturing jacksh-it but assembling CKD.

OVER TO YOU SIR

Assembling CKD is actually not a bad idea and I have no issue with it.

My grouse is with the chest beating that they're a manufacturer. They are not, they are an assembler.

1. What to produce

A 2 door coupe, 4 door sedan and single cab pickup based on the same general chassis. A VW Golf sized vehicle.

2. For whom to produce

When I close my eyes I see a fleet of the 4 doors in smart cab colors and the 2 doors filling the car parks of secretariats.

3. How to produce

Have someone supply us with body shells as a start but every other single thing can come from here. As an example, I trust that our graduates can create a wiring harness.

4. Target market

Low to medium income earners. The bulk of Nigerians.

There can be a cottage industry created. As an example Painless Engineering makes customized wiring harnesses.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by nurey(m): 7:04pm On Aug 09, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Assembling CKD is actually not a bad idea and I have no issue with it.

My grouse is with the chest beating that they're a manufacturer. They are not, they are an assembler.

1. What to produce

A 2 door coupe, 4 door sedan and single cab pickup based on the same general chassis. A VW Golf sized vehicle.

2. For whom to produce

When I close my eyes I see a fleet of the 4 doors in smart cab colors and the 2 doors filling the car parks of secretariats.

3. How to produce

Have someone supply us with body shells as a start but every other single thing can come from here. As an example, I trust that our graduates can create a wiring harness.

4. Target market

Low to medium income earners. The bulk of Nigerians.

There can be a cottage industry created. As an example Painless Engineering makes customized wiring harnesses.

- Seems you have not noticed coupes don't do very well in Nigerian market. Ask those using solara , accord coupe, 406 coupe, Resale value is non existent and hard to sell, even worse now considering its favourite of youngsters and those sets are extremely broke

- The 2 door pickup is a very good idea and extremely common in the north but the bus is the reverse in southwest, also good for farmers, it would be a plus if a 6 wheel AWD VARIANT can be added as a limited / special edition.

- I don't have issues with the four cylinder sedan if it's the size of a TATA indigo we are in business.

- The graduates creating a wiring harness I know it's possible to get, but am still not clear how you intend to do that, but note wire made in Nigeria is more durable and expensive than imported ones (talking from fact).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 8:36pm On Aug 09, 2016
nurey:

- Seems you have not noticed coupes don't do very well in Nigerian market. Ask those using solara , accord coupe, 406 coupe, Resale value is non existent and hard to sell, even worse now considering its favourite of youngsters and those sets are extremely broke

- The 2 door pickup is a very good idea and extremely common in the north but the bus is the reverse in southwest, also good for farmers, it would be a plus if a 6 wheel AWD VARIANT can be added as a limited / special edition.

- I don't have issues with the four cylinder sedan if it's the size of a TATA indigo we are in business.

- The graduates creating a wiring harness I know it's possible to get, but am still not clear how you intend to do that, but note wire made in Nigeria is more durable and expensive than imported ones (talking from fact).

1) Market research will be conducted to find out why certain segments don't sell well. Then engineering and marketing will take over to address shortfall areas. But as a company you have to stand behind your ideas.

2) Focus is key. So a separate sub group can be created to engage derivatives. But focus had to be on the bread and butter products that pays the bills.

3) Those days of land yachts are mostly gone. There's no need to offer any vehicle bigger than a current Golf. Remember that we aren't trying to take over the entire market but simply to offer alternative brands to Nigerians. We can simply buy turnkey engines from engine manufacturers. Maybe another group of Nigerians can get into the engine building industry.

4) I know Nigerians and our creativity. I know that proper tools and technology is what's holding us back.

I'm confident that a group of electrical engineers can make an automotive wiring harness. Heck, even Kazerm sef, if given schematics, tools and proper cable can do wonders.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 10:04pm On Aug 09, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I concur.
Re: Let's Build A Car by KolaShangOne(m): 2:54pm On Aug 16, 2016
Oga, I have a car question to ask. Can I shoot here?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 3:00pm On Aug 16, 2016
KolaShangOne:
Oga, I have a car question to ask. Can I shoot here?

Why not chief? Who knows it might even give us a different insight.
Re: Let's Build A Car by princetom1(m): 6:22pm On Aug 16, 2016
Oga EgunMogaji, am here o. I commot cap yo greet the masquerade first. Reading through, all those that had commented are the usual suspects, where is 0rex? My brain fey spark as i read, am not an expert in any field but my passion surely makes me better. Let me add my contributions now.
1) Many Nigeria company fail, why? After they must have conducted alot of market survey? Who is the professional that does market survey for this such special market? Am sure, not just anyone can do it, no matter how much expert they claim to be. U must be versed in this industry and put urself as a consumer.
I worry about alot of things as a consumer but the manufacturers seems not to notice me, the consumer, They are busy making false claim (i hate that), comparing (how inferior are u).
2) This segment, doesn't need to be an elon musk, needs who will be truthful, no magomago, no wayo.
3) Training people with passion is also a way to go, there are areas that they will be valuable.
4) Nothing flashy, utility is important. It should look modern though. I too wount consider the coupe, it doesn't sell in Nigeria anymore. 4 door, 1 cabin pickup, and they could be modifications made on request to cater for alot of fields, like farming, construction fields and so on. Am still receiving revelation from the holy spirit concerning the design, besides, beetle is too Small, will get back here later.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by princetom1(m): 6:41pm On Aug 16, 2016
Good thing about this is, alot of raw materials can be gotten in Nigeria and there are so much skilled people that just need to right tool to make things happen. Alot of parts could be made in house too. Instead of relying on china in alot of things like innoson does. Am sure parts can be sourced from the best of the best in the world also. And collaborating and investing in other area that are very important to the vehicle manufacturing is also important. Not just, buy and buy and import like the ones in existence does.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by baconline(m): 11:11am On Aug 17, 2016
Chairman I am with u all the way, let me drop a few lines
Let's have a design
We could build d chassis by hand or send our design to companies that build chassis an have it containerized back
The remaining parts we will send out our design to numerous companies that will quote for the parts, I assure u within a month we would have broken down the whole thin to simple components
We can for now get an engine and gear from a donor car ,cos ordering a new design might be off ou limit now,
Depending on what we are building I will advise we build a super car so as to get the attention of the world
I propose we is an AMG engine and transmission
Interior. Companies in europe will give us a clean finish
Re: Let's Build A Car by baconline(m): 11:17am On Aug 17, 2016
The first car to be build will be just about assembling, but we need an off the shelf design, so I think we should shop at that for now, maybe u could get people to design or u could design that for the team, let I said ,if u want to get peoples attention let's build a super car,
Using an AMG V8 engine from a G wagon or a 4.7l engine and transmission from a old model tundra looks good to me,
Re: Let's Build A Car by nurey(m): 3:52pm On Aug 17, 2016
baconline:
The first car to be build will be just about assembling, but we need an off the shelf design, so I think we should shop at that for now, maybe u could get people to design or u could design that for the team, let I said ,if u want to get peoples attention let's build a super car,
Using an AMG V8 engine from a G wagon or a 4.7l engine and transmission from a old model tundra looks good to me,

You are actually thinking too big, which is good, but you aren't too exposed in marketing segment (no pun intended). Let me break it down easy for you

Let's say "pringles" and "bose chips" we know they are both potato chips but with different level of satisfaction and price.

- On a sellers point of view
If I sell the pringles at 200bucks I will make a gain of 50naira on each, but I can only sell effectively in a super market to make that gain so I was able to sell 50 and the gain there is 2500.

But for bose chips at 20bucks, I can only make a gain of 10 naira on each, and I have to sweat and hustle besides it's only been bought by the poor, so what do I do, I take it to a slum where there are 5 schools primary and secondary and I was able to sell to 2000 students, that's a gain of 20,000. If I remove hustle, stress and others, it's worth it after all, look at the difference.

Ability of a product to sell is based on so many factors not just quality your super car and V8 is good and OK but ask your self this question the most successful car ever built in the world that shaked the nooks and cranny of every continent wasn't big, luxurious, wasn't turbo charged, couldn't win a decent race (leave herbie out of it) but no car has surpassed it's unit sold, yes your guess is as good as mine a 90s VW beetle.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 6:23pm On Aug 17, 2016
Boss princetom1, I'm here o. Just following quietly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages / Help, What Are The Dangers Of Using Cars Coverted From Right To Left Hand Drive / Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.