Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria (40335 Views)

Places In Lagos You Should Be Careful Of Before Buying Land / Preventive Measures When Buying Land In Nigeria. / Four Vital Documents To Prove Land Ownership (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by emmaliver(m): 12:00pm On Nov 27, 2016
Ok. Nice topic
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by singwa: 12:17pm On Nov 27, 2016
Nice one
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by braine(m): 12:31pm On Nov 27, 2016
Babyvoice1990 I need to ask you some questions.
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by NoToPile: 12:45pm On Nov 27, 2016
Nice
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by ntobiloba(f): 12:58pm On Nov 27, 2016
gypsey:
i like picture number 3 the white house, how much do i need to build a house like that?

contact me so we can talk better.
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by mtngloetiartel: 1:06pm On Nov 27, 2016
ophilly:
Apart from the survey plan, my surveyor is insisting there is another document to be collected from the surveyor-general. Is this true, pls?
a bloody lie!
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by robotix: 1:08pm On Nov 27, 2016
gypsey:
yes! my parents are (i was born in England) so that makes me igbo too grin very good guess, how did you know? seriously the lands in the villages in igbo land are very expensive, bought 2 plots for me parents and it' costing close to 8 millions including the cultural shenanigans, goats, colanuts, palm wine and payments to the kindreds and tribes, unless they were telling me lies, man! it was so much hassle the lands are not even in the city, it in the remote bushy ancient village angry
lol. I am igbo too. It is no news that the only place in Nigeria where lands in villages cost millions is in Igbo land. So it is easy to guess bro.

2 Likes

Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by crackhouse(m): 1:10pm On Nov 27, 2016
U can still buy R of O if it's in Abuja.
Just say it's applicable only in Lagos cos most of the land people sell there is R of O.
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by uvalued(m): 1:21pm On Nov 27, 2016
babyvoice1990:

There are a number of crucial documents

1. Receipt

2. Approved survey plan

3. Approved layout

4. Power of Attorney

5. Deed of assignment

6. Certificate of Occupancy ( C of O)

I would categorize the people from which you can buy any parcel of land into three: An estate developer, an individual & directly from the family who claims to own the land. If you are dealing with an estate developer (buying within an estate), you should ask for the approved survey plan, approved layout, the power of attorney and the global C of O. If you are buying from an individual or company (one who has bought and wishes to resell), you should ask for the receipt, deed of assignment, approved survey plan and C of O.

Buying directly from the family who claims to own the land is quite tricky. This is because it is difficult to determine the true owners of the land especially when the documents showing ownership haven’t been processed.

Where the documents haven’t been processed, there are no documents to show authenticity and a prospective buyer has to really a great deal on word of mouth from the members of the community to ascertain the true owner(s) of the land in question.

When the documents have been processed, they should provide you with the approved survey plan, approved layout (where the land is a large one and is being sold on a per plot basis) and the C of O.

From my experience, families usually don’t go to the length of processing their C of O. Reason being that they hope to sell off their land in the near future thus only do the absolute minimum required to show authenticity, in this case the approved survey plan and layout, then passing it on to the buyer who would go on to perfect his/her title on the land.

NOTE: It is very important that you have a good property lawyer before embarking on land/property purchase. Reason being that your lawyer is the one who ensures that you don’t run into legal trouble with land/property documents after purchase. It’s your lawyer’s job to verify the authenticity of any title document backing the land/property.

PROPERTY SEARCH
Under the Lagos State Land Bureau:

Conducting a Search:
• Application submitted with affidavit of purpose (searches are conducted using the following criteria: – Name of Owner, Registration Particulars, Address of Property and Survey Plan.
• Letter of Authority (where applicable)
• Endorsement
• Bill for payment of Search Fees
• Tender Tellers
• Conduct Search

Work Flow for Registration of Title:
• Confirmation of all payment receipt (by Accounts Department)
• Collection of Form A13 from the Office of Registrar of Titles by Applicant – 1 day
• Duly completed Form A13 with supporting documents are submitted by Applicant to the Office of the Registrar of Titles
• A registration number & application number are issued to a certified application – 1 day
• Notice are prepared for interested parties signatures
• Reply to Notice is received and Draft Entries prepared
• An approved Notice is e-mailed /posted by registered post to applicant
• Prepared Notice are forwarded to Registrar of Titles for approval of issuance of Notice to Applicant
• Approval of Draft Entries
• Typing & Binding of Title
• Final Indexing of Title
• File is sent via the Deputy Registrar of Titles to ROT for signature
• Registered Title delivered to applicant

Work Flow for Registration of Deeds
• Submission of Application with relevant documents for registration of Deed by Applicants
• Application with accompanying documents are checked and endorsed
• Satisfied application/document are issued with registration number
• Application sent for indexing
• Applicant file is send to Deputy Registrar of Titles for signature
• File is sent to Registrar of Titles for second signature
• Registered Deed is delivered

Work Flow for Registration of Certificate of Occupancy
• Certificate of Occupancy is sent with a covering letter from LUAD to Office of Registrar of Titles
• The file is sent to the C of O room to add a file jacket to the C of O Form
• C of O is sent to the Deputy Registrar of Titles for signature
• C of O is sent to Registrar of Titles for second signature
• The details of registered C of O is entered serially in a day book
• The registered C of O is entered is a dispatch book and sent to LUAD for collection by applicants

http://www.ibejulekkilawyer.com/documents-to-ask-for-when-buying-land-anywhere-in-nigeria/
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 27, 2016
Everything in Nigeria comes with problems, even the simplest of things. Suffice to say, a lot of Nigerians, especially the so called educated you as of the south west who handle things like illiterate and act as street urchins e.g Omo Onile.
As I write this, my 2 and half plot of land has been resold by the Omo Onile. Nigeria is a cesspit of corruption, morally bankrupt individuals and pathological Liars.

2 Likes

Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by BecomeALandLord(m): 1:56pm On Nov 27, 2016
This is a really nice article! Very educative to our target audience especially those who are not realestate professionals like us.
Kudos writer and also to the moderator who pushed it to the front page!!!!

As a real estate professional that I am ....... I love this!!!

Contact me by reading my signature!!
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 27, 2016
ntobiloba:

contact me so we can talk better.
okay, but is it possible at the monent to give me a hint on how much i would need, it will help me in making my mind up. ciao!
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by BecomeALandLord(m): 2:03pm On Nov 27, 2016
Bidobado:
Everything in Nigeria comes with problems, even the simplest of things. Suffice to say, a lot of Nigerians, especially the so called educated you as of the south west who handle things like illiterate and act as street urchins e.g Omo Onile.
As I write this, my 2 and half plot of land has been resold by the Omo Onile. Nigeria is a cesspit of corruption, morally bankrupt individuals and pathological Liars.

I'm really sorry about the loss of your property to the land grabbers also known as omoniles!
They are very notorious and well known for this type of atrocity!

Nigerians have started to wise up!
People hardly patronise omoniles these days!
People buy from a reputable real estate development firm like the firm I work with or other good real estate firms out there!
I'm truly sorry about your loss sir
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by BecomeALandLord(m): 2:15pm On Nov 27, 2016
kelvine:
Please I really need help here, I plan to buy a land from a particular real Estate company that builds for people.
They told me I will only see the land after I finish paying the whole fee.
They also said I will be getting the survay plan when I am ready to build using their company construction workers.
The Estate company appears to be a reputable one going by the number of offices they have home and abroad, please do you think it is alright to invest in them ?

Dear friend, maybe that's their company policy.
That doesn't mean they want to scam you of your hard earned money!

Maybe the marketers didn't explain their terms and conditions properly to u.
I suggest you visit their office and ask thorough questions.

Or better still you can contact me.
I work with a big real estate firm that has genuine and secure landed properties with valid documents scattered everywhere in nigeria.
Hurry and contact me
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by linearity: 2:35pm On Nov 27, 2016
Thanks, very informative.
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by belcom10(m): 2:49pm On Nov 27, 2016
Opps,Thanks, very informative
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by ntobiloba(f): 4:00pm On Nov 27, 2016
gypsey:
okay, but is it possible at the monent to give me a hint on how much i would need, it will help me in making my mind up. ciao!
kindly contact me on 08138492358.Thanks
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by kosasly(m): 4:08pm On Nov 27, 2016
Make I book space. . . Coming back to read comments.
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by shawn5ng(m): 5:11pm On Nov 27, 2016
babyvoice1990:

1. Receipt

2. Approved survey plan

3. Approved layout

4. Power of Attorney

5. Deed of assignment

I would categorize the people from which you can buy any parcel of land into three: An estate developer, an individual & directly from the family who claims to own the land. If you are dealing with an estate developer (buying within an estate), you should ask for the approved survey plan, approved layout, the power of attorney and the global C of O. If you are buying from an individual or company (one who has bought and wishes to resell), you should ask for the receipt, deed of assignment, approved survey plan and C of O.

Buying directly from the family who claims to own the land is quite tricky. This is because it is difficult to determine the true owners of the land especially when the documents showing ownership haven’t been processed.

Where the documents haven’t been processed, there are no documents to show authenticity and a prospective buyer has to really a great deal on word of mouth from the members of the community to ascertain the true owner(s) of the land in question.

When the documents have been processed, they should provide you with the approved survey plan, approved layout (where the land is a large one and is being sold on a per plot basis) and the C of O.

From my experience, families usually don’t go to the length of processing their C of O. Reason being that they hope to sell off their land in the near future thus only do the absolute minimum required to show authenticity, in this case the approved survey plan and layout, then passing it on to the buyer who would go on to perfect his/her title on the land.

NOTE: It is very important that you have a good property lawyer before embarking on land/property purchase. Reason being that your lawyer is the one who ensures that you don’t run into legal trouble with land/property documents after purchase. It’s your lawyer’s job to verify the authenticity of any title document backing the land/property.

PROPERTY SEARCH

Conducting a Search:
• Application submitted with affidavit of purpose (searches are conducted using the following criteria: – Name of Owner, Registration Particulars, Address of Property and Survey Plan.
• Endorsement
• Tender Tellers
• Conduct Search

• Collection of Form A13 from the Office of Registrar of Titles by Applicant – 1 day
• Duly completed Form A13 with supporting documents are submitted by Applicant to the Office of the Registrar of Titles
• A registration number & application number are issued to a certified application – 1 day
• Prepared Notice are forwarded to Registrar of Titles for approval of issuance of Notice to Applicant

• Submission of Application with relevant documents for registration of Deed by Applicants

• Certificate of Occupancy is sent with a covering letter from LUAD to Office of Registrar of Titles
• The registered C of O is entered is a dispatch book and sent to LUAD for collection by applicants

http://www.ibejulekkilawyer.com/documents-to-ask-for-when-buying-land-anywhere-in-nigeria/

Please I will like to ask this question.
Can one buy a land from a lawyer who had a documented MOU signed by the family mandating him to do layout and survey plan on their behalf while he takes 1 plot from every acre he works on.

The thing is that the lawyer has ask us to pay but layout and survey is still in process.
What documents will I request from him.
Do I still need to inform the family about it.
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by fison(m): 5:12pm On Nov 27, 2016

1. Receipt

2. Approved survey plan

3. Approved layout

4. Power of Attorney

5. Deed of assignment

PROPERTY SEARCH

Conducting a Search:
• Endorsement
• Tender Tellers
• Conduct Search

Great job OP, please what document should I request from State government for leasing a land to me for a period of 45 years?
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by MTHBOSS(m): 7:50pm On Nov 27, 2016
I can't express how much I value this than any other ... God bless you all.
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by babyvoice1990(m): 9:45am On Nov 28, 2016
kelvine:
Please I really need help here, I plan to buy a land from a particular real Estate company that builds for people.
They told me I will only see the land after I finish paying the whole fee.
They also said I will be getting the survay plan when I am ready to build using their company construction workers.
The Estate company appears to be a reputable one going by the number of offices they have home and abroad, please do you think it is alright to invest in them ?

Thank yu for the enquiry.

Due deligent is key when buying a land.

I advice clients to inspect the land, verify all title documents before paying for that land.
I have also wrtten articles on why you need a lawyer, you can learn more http://www.ibejulekkilawyer.com/why-you-need-a-lawyer-when-closing-a-land-transaction-part-1/

You can send personal email to us for more advice( ibejulekkilawyer@gmail.com )
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by babyvoice1990(m): 10:22am On Nov 28, 2016
Bidobado:

Yes, there is so much corruption in this country. But do you know that you can recover the value of your land if you have all the necessary documents?
You can send us a personal email (ibejulekkilawyer@gmail.com) or call 08034869295 for more assistance. Visit
www. ibejulekkilawyer.com for more educative information.
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by babyvoice1990(m): 10:47am On Nov 28, 2016
shawn5ng:

Can one buy a land from a lawyer who had a documented MOU signed by the family mandating him to do layout and survey plan on their behalf while he takes 1 plot from every acre he works on.

The thing is that the lawyer has ask us to pay but layout and survey is still in process.

In land investment, there are different types of investment. Some the document are already processed and there are good and perfect title to the land while the other the title are still under processing . This second type is very risk to invest in but if you get it right, highly profitable. There are instances where a lawyer is mandated by a family to finance the perimeter survey and layout in turn to receive one plot in one acre. this perimeter survey layout is not in anyway title to land and can not give you ownership to a land. my advice would be to conduct a 100 percent due diligent via your solicitor. This is the service we render at ibejulekkilawyer.com http://www.ibejulekkilawyer.com/about-us/. You can send us a personal email (ibejulekkilawyer.com) or call 08034869295 for more assistance.
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by professore(m): 6:07pm On Nov 28, 2016
This is informative
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Geomartinsurvey(m): 6:28pm On Dec 02, 2016
Need Surveyors call 07031848986
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Geomartinsurvey(m): 6:28pm On Dec 02, 2016
Need Surveyors to handle your land documentation, Contact GEOMARTINS & ASSOCIATE, we are team of Registered Surveyor working in every part of the
country. 07031848986, yemimartins@ymail.com
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by mtngloetiartel: 3:20pm On Dec 06, 2016
shawn5ng:

no. He want to use peoples money to do business. He suppose to invest his money to do the layout before selling. Come to think of it, are you goin to wait until he get other buyers who can pay money before he allocate ur plot?
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by jjbest123(m): 8:47am On Dec 27, 2016
adejaresalami1:
All this because I want to buy land....come to here in my village, just 50k sellers will come begging grin grin
Were Is Your Village Located @ Adejaresalami1
adejaresalami1:
All this because I want to buy land....come to here in my village, just 50k sellers will come begging grin grin
adejaresalami1:
Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Homeyfav: 7:03pm On Nov 30, 2017
How to buy land in Nigeria www.landforsale.ng/buy-land-nigeria

1 Like

Re: Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria by Homeyfav: 6:42pm On Dec 05, 2017
Documents to ask for when buying land in Nigeria. https://www.landforsale.ng/documents-ask-buying-land-nigeria/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

House Burning In Ibadan, Little Child Cooks Noodles While Mum Watches Nollywood / New Tactics Lagos’ Landlords Adopt To Get House Rent From Tenants / Check Out "The Slice Of House" That Got Nigerians Laughing Hard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.