Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey (7889 Views)

Heavy Traffic In Lekki As Lagos Residents Flout Lockdown / A Person Is Already In UK While Segalink Who Dropped Him Off Is Still In Traffic / Helicopter Picks Billionaire Stuck In Traffic For 2 Hours On Lagos-Benin Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by Jaymaxxy(m): 9:02pm On Nov 28, 2016
At least three of every 10 years spent in Lagos is lost to traffic, a survey by a Lagos-based transport firm, Planet Projects, has shown.

It, therefore, means that residents of Lagos, Nigeria’s economic capital, spend an average of seven hours 20 minutes in traffic every day.

The Managing Director, Planet Projects, Mr. Biodun Otunola, who spoke on the issue at a press briefing in Lagos on Saturday, said 70 per cent of the city’s traffic bottlenecks could be located on road junctions.

He said this was taking a heavy toll on the health of the road users, reducing their lifespan and adversely affecting their productivity as well as the economy of the nation.

“Driving to work daily and being stuck in traffic for hours causes fatigue, leads to low productivity and burning of fuel. Unless we solve the traffic problem, and by extension the transport problem, we’ll continue to kill ourselves,” he said.

Otunola, whose firm is organising a three-day conference on the challenges and opportunities in the Nigerian railway from today (Monday), said there was an urgent need to reduce car ridership in Lagos by 20 per cent.

For instance, he said the Lekki-Epe Expressway, which was initially designed to move an average of 7,000 vehicles, now had to contend with about 70,000 automobiles.

He also stressed that there was no need to build new roads in Lagos, adding that what was required was to work on the existing ones, remove some junctions and focus on effective public transportation.

According to him, economic development and improvement in standard of living may not be achieved unless necessary steps are taken to tackle the challenges in the transportation sector.

Disclosing that the firm had concluded plans to host an international conference on railway themed: ‘Nigeria railway industry moving from 19 to 21 century: Challenges and opportunities’, he said it would address key issues in the industry.

http://punchng.com/lagos-residents-waste-three-10-years-traffic-report/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by junketer(m): 9:09pm On Nov 28, 2016
True. Anytime i visit nigeria now i land at enugu airport. I now boycott lagos. Last time i landed in lagos, i was stuck in traffic for hours. Everywhere na hold up. I pity people that live in lagos. Thank God for stella oduah for giving us enugu international. Ethiopian air all the way.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by Nobody: 9:11pm On Nov 28, 2016
Where is the regression analysis?

Ambode is clueless doing skeletal work in creating busstops for agbero controlled parks. Instead of focussing on rail transportation and modern intra city transportation.
Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by omowolewa: 9:03am On Nov 29, 2016
Okay
Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by jaymejate: 9:03am On Nov 29, 2016
Driving to work daily and being stuck in traffic for hours causes fatigue, leads to low productivity and burning of fuel. Unless we solve the traffic problem, and by extension the transport problem, we’ll continue to kill ourselves,” he said.
Na you go de kill yourself

Rada Rada

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by mascot87(m): 9:04am On Nov 29, 2016
Keneking:
Where is the recession analysis?

Ambode is clueless doing skeletal work in creating busstops for agbero controlled parks. Instead of focussing on rail transportation and modern intra city transportation.

Keep quiet. Why are you guys so delusional?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by alizma: 9:04am On Nov 29, 2016
going by the number of time an average lagosian spend on traffic per day, I concur with this report.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by tym92(m): 9:04am On Nov 29, 2016
yinmu....

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 29, 2016
Very true. Allah
Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by thinkdip(m): 9:05am On Nov 29, 2016
even lagos is confused about

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by recievesense: 9:05am On Nov 29, 2016
Them for find admission for traffic dem for don graduate.
Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 29, 2016
Keneking:

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 29, 2016
This is one of the many reasons why the Lagos Metroline has to come in place asap. Traffic is the only reason I loathe Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by Milllz: 9:06am On Nov 29, 2016
Hmm
Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by alizma: 9:08am On Nov 29, 2016
Keneking:

hope you haven't succeeded in convincing the person who paid your school fees through school that you passed by presenting some papers to him/her? he has better assess your way of reasoning to see that you failed woefully.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by jaymejate: 9:08am On Nov 29, 2016
abuayman:
Very true Allah

Na ALLAH de tok?

No wonder why Nigeria ain't going forward
Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 29, 2016
Two comments and it makes FB??

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:09am On Nov 29, 2016
Very true. It is well.
Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by begreat: 9:09am On Nov 29, 2016
We have got a way out, by waking up far earlier than residents in other states, so bottom line is, " we only mortgage our supposed 8 hours sleep" yup. Logos residents still the most dedicated hustlers. I am a proud lagosian who else is proud to be?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by An0nimus: 9:09am On Nov 29, 2016
You go fear stat

I think it's an exaggeration anyways. So many holes can be punched in the stat
Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by sakalisis(m): 9:14am On Nov 29, 2016
grin
Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by shamecurls(m): 9:14am On Nov 29, 2016
Keneking:

Only Almighty God can reward whoever sent you to school. ONLY GOD!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by Mrelvinoo: 9:14am On Nov 29, 2016
Exactly... Abode should do something about dat
Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by NaijaMutant(f): 9:14am On Nov 29, 2016
Ok
Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by johnstar(m): 9:15am On Nov 29, 2016
So

Wat ar u ppl going to do abt it? Any solution nw?
Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by Ekpekus(m): 9:18am On Nov 29, 2016
But the traffic on a serious note fit comot some years from.person life sha grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by Pylony(m): 9:19am On Nov 29, 2016
junketer:
True. Anytime i visit nigeria now i land at enugu airport. I now boycott lagos. Last time i landed in lagos, i was stuck in traffic for hours. Everywhere na hold up. I pity people that live in lagos. Thank God for stella oduah for giving us enugu international. Ethiopian air all the way.
But she failed to encourage you and all other Nigerian to patronise a made in Nigeria "National Carrier" cos the last time i Check we have fail as a Nation, now our air space is flooded with foreign airplanes. Even with the recession many are closing shop on us. No wonder you love Ethiopian air. undecided
Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by Sunky200: 9:19am On Nov 29, 2016
scientist said the human body need at least 6hrs of sleep daily, now let do the math; divide 24 by 6(hrs) equals 4. which means an average man spend one quarter1/4 of a day in bed. which also means human spend one quarter (3months) of a year sleepiing (365/4 = 91.25).

Going by this report, an average lagosian spend approximately 7hrs in traffic daily.
let do the math again 24/7 = 3.4 which also means more than 1/4 of a day is spent in traffic and also equals over 1/4(3mths) of the year.

however, an average person living in a non congested environment tend to spend longer time in bed at night than those living in the metropolis.

My people, dem talk say time na money. Hope you're utilising your time to the fullest

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by VictorRomanov: 9:26am On Nov 29, 2016
begreat:
We have got a way out, by waking up far earlier than residents in other states, so bottom line is, " we only mortgage our supposed 8 hours sleep" yup. Logos residents still the most dedicated hustlers. I am a proud lagosian who else is proud to be?

If u had mortgaged ur 8-hour sleep for working more hours and making more money, i would have agreed with you. But the extra time is spent in traffic. You spend the same working 8 hours every other state spends.

If lagos is better than other states, it's cos they work smarter and with more excellency. Not because they wake up early.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey by godson4u79(m): 9:31am On Nov 29, 2016
Guy... You are finished...

Keneking:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Transit Visas And Entry Visas/visa Free Countries (post Your Information Here) / Get A Denmark Greencard Visa And Secure Entry Into Other 26 Countries In Europe / Swedish Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.