Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,721 members, 7,809,736 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:07 PM

How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike (22651 Views)

Ibrahim Pantami Seeks Reduction In Call, Data Tariff / Man Embarked On One-man Protest In Osogbo Against The Increase In Data Tariff / Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 8:00am On Nov 30, 2016
Hello my dear nairalanders. It is no doubt that the country has been in a state of turmoil since the news of a hike in prices of data plans was reported. MTN informed customers via a text message few days ago but other service providers are yet to do so. While there's pretty much nothing we can do about it, we just can't kiss the internet goodbye in this age where the internet is most people's source of livelihood, joy, etc.
I came up with the following ways to help everyone of us minimize data usage, reduce cost and still enjoy using the internet. Hope you find them helpful.

1. STOP BACKGROUND PROCESSES:

Most mobile gadgets in this age and time run applications in the background. This way you get charged and data gets drained. Locate your phone's "Settings" and turn off this option. It will help in these times.

2. TURN OFF AUTO-UPDATES:

Gone are those days when you subscribe for a new data bundle and you're greeted by the icon of Google Play Store in the notifications bar. "55 applications are being updated". WHAT Come tomorrow, this will do you more harm than good so turn off the damn feature.

3. DOWNLOAD UC BROWSER:

Not trying to promote anything but if you haven't already, please do. It's for your own good. Not only does it load pages swiftly for less, it also has other data-saving features you could make good use of.

4. TURN OFF IMAGES:

Turn off images in your browser. Most of the images are either emoticons, logos, bla bla bla anyway. Why waste your hard-earned data on them? I mean, WHO IMAGES EPP?

5. USE IN MOBILE MODE:

I know how we all feel cool using our mobile gadgets in "Desktop mode" but you should know that won't do you any good in these times. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Switch to mobile mode before it's too late.

6. QUIT INSTAGRAM AND OTHER DATA-UNFRIENDLY SOCIAL NETWORKS:

Maybe it was cool to stare at pictures of instagram models at work but that should stop NOW. Seriously, if we were asked to nominate a social nnetwork that ruins bank accounts by ruthlessly draining data, I'm sure EVERYONE would pick Instagram. Do your bank account a favour bro. But if you must use Instagram, then the next tip might help you.

7. TURN OFF INSTAGRAM NOTIFICATIONS:

If you're so addicted to Instagram and can't quit, or if you run an online business, then simply turn off ALL notifications from Instagram. This includes "New friend", "Like", "Comment" notifications. You can choose to turn on the ones you feel are important though.E.g. "DM" notifications.

8. TURN OFF POST NOTIFICATIONS:

Still on Instagram, for those of you who turned on notifications for select followers, you might want to turn them off ASAP. I once turned on post notifications for Instablog9ja and i kid you not, Instablog posts at least 20 times a day. Whose loss?

9. QUIT MONITORING CELEBRITIES:

Celebrities never stop flaunting their near-perfect lifestyles and the media will keep shoving them down our throats. If you're one of those who sees it as mandatory to click every thread with a celebrity name to it, JUST STOP!!

10. TURN OFF DATA:

If you have to do this, then please by all means do. Anything at all to conserve your data is a must at a time like this.

Compiled by Me.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Mayor21(m): 8:01am On Nov 30, 2016
God will punish this government I swear.
Pure scam!

19 Likes

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 8:01am On Nov 30, 2016
lipsrsealed

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 8:06am On Nov 30, 2016
STFUareyouGod
Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by omamush(f): 8:10am On Nov 30, 2016
nawa o.. just tell us to quit social media totally

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Jephz(m): 8:14am On Nov 30, 2016
omamush:
just tell us to quit social media totally
u deserve hot akara and bread....... that's the OP^s poibt....

8 Likes

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 8:16am On Nov 30, 2016
Good points op, these will help many. The people above me need education.

9 Likes

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 30, 2016
Jephz:
u deserve hot akara and bread....... that's the OP^s poibt....

Did you even read the post? What is wrong with you people?

4 Likes

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 8:23am On Nov 30, 2016
Hallykojo:
Good points op, these will help many. The people above me need education.
Don't mind them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 8:24am On Nov 30, 2016
Qummie:
STFUareyouGod
morning Kunmi

11. Quit Trolling On Social Media/Forums
To those jobless kids who troll around on Nairaland and IG displaying how sillly and stuupid they are, you'll be saving loads of data if you quit. It's obvious many of you still eat off mama's pot and depend on Papa's pocket money for data, no doubt you lot gonna be hard hit tongue tongue tongue

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 30, 2016
STFUareyouGod:
morning Kunmi

11. Quit Trolling On Social Media/Forums
To those jobless kids who troll around on Nairaland and IG displaying how sillly and stuupid they are, you'll be saving loads of data if you quit. It's obvious many of you still eat off mama's pot and depend on Papa's pocket money for data, no doubt you lot gonna be hard hit tongue tongue tongue

Morning bro. Nice one. grin grin
Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 8:34am On Nov 30, 2016
Qummie:

Morning bro. Nice one. grin grin
ojumo're lo mo mi ooooo

Nice write up. Btw, I've got etisalat cheat if you're interested wink

1 Like

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 8:34am On Nov 30, 2016
See wetin government don cause. Good point @op.
Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 8:36am On Nov 30, 2016
STFUareyouGod:
ojumo're lo mo mi ooooo

Thanks. Are you selling the cheat and does it work on all devices?
Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 30, 2016
STFUareyouGod STFUareyouGod STFUareyouGod where are you na? undecided

Twaci
Laveda
Stupedinluv
ItsmePuffPuff
LuvU2
Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 30, 2016
Qummie:

Thanks. Are you selling the cheat and does it work on all devices?
Not selling. Yes, it works for all device wink
Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 9:03am On Nov 30, 2016
God bless buhari.

I knew wailers had to quit s/media someday, i didnt expect it this soon grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 9:03am On Nov 30, 2016
STFUareyouGod:
ojumo're lo mo mi ooooo

3 Likes

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 30, 2016
God punish Glo o! angry I dey download something of 44mb and it failed at 41mb cryangry

25 Likes

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 30, 2016
STFUareyouGod:
Not selling. Yes, it works for all device wink

Oya PM me. Please please please cry cry

Stupedinluv:
God bless buhari.

Don't be mean cry

1 Like

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 9:18am On Nov 30, 2016
KissChrix:
God punish Glo o! angry I dey download something of 44mb and it failed at 41mb cryangry

I know the feeling bro.
Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by simtosul: 9:21am On Nov 30, 2016
Meanwhile I av subscribe ahead their data increase using mtn pulse of #500 for 1 gig after loading #5,500. Before February next year I wil av money for another subscription

1 Like

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 9:37am On Nov 30, 2016
simtosul:
Meanwhile I av subscribe ahead their data increase using mtn pulse of #500 for 1 gig after loading #5,500. Before February next year I wil av money for another subscription
This is serious.

5 Likes

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Twaci(f): 9:55am On Nov 30, 2016
Qummie:
STFUareyouGod STFUareyouGod STFUareyouGod where are you na? undecided

Twaci
Laveda
Stupednluv
ItsmePuffPuf
LuvU
cheesy you believed him?
Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 9:57am On Nov 30, 2016
Qummie:

Oya PM me. Please please please cry cry
Lol. Relax tongue tongue
Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 9:57am On Nov 30, 2016
simtosul:
It will be cancelled

1 Like

Twaci:
cheesy you believed him?
angry
Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Twaci(f): 9:59am On Nov 30, 2016
STFUareyouGod:
angry
cheesy cheesy cheesy

Thief don dey hungry you abi?
Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 9:59am On Nov 30, 2016
Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 30, 2016
Twaci:
cheesy cheesy cheesy

Thief don dey hungry you abi?
It's free sad
Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by SycophanticGoat: 10:10am On Nov 30, 2016
Stupedinluv:
God bless buhari.

Chai!

nwata wanyi à joro njo kwo nwa na azu! Odiegwu! embarassed

2 Likes

Re: How To Survive The Impending Doom Of Data Tariff Hike by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 30, 2016
Twaci:
cheesy you believed him?

So he lied? angry
STFUareyouGod is this true?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ulefone Power 6050mAh 2.5D Arc Screen Corning Gorilla Glass 3 | WHAT WE WANTED / Do You Still Use 2go ? / FG: Issuance Of New Sims To Resume April 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.