Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,840 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka (17301 Views)

Wole Soyinka And Chimamanda Adichie At The Felabration 2019, Pictured Together / Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Oretunlewa Soyinka Marries Nneka Ekechukwu, Igbo Girl (Pre-Wedding Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by Nobody: 7:29am On Dec 02, 2016
...& d nomad finally sunk it with his lackadaisical, dismal, dumb & polcy sommersult performance! Phoooooools!
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by MENELIK1: 7:32am On Dec 02, 2016
Otono123:
This Afonja
Osu, what is your point?
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by aksule(m): 7:34am On Dec 02, 2016
The prof should be told that while he held the green card we in Nigeria are tired of blame game. Where was the "body language"?
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by Livefreeordieha(m): 7:36am On Dec 02, 2016
is that all?and am sure he didnt know the country was drowningbut ofcourse he just wanted to spy in the aso rock that was why he fought 4 it for several years..same thing goes to obaseki who now claims there are no resources to fulfill his promises he also didnt know??u know stupidity is suppose to be a personal problem not a worldwide issue but yu all making it worldwide issue makes me wanna say go to hell all of u..ur stupidity gives me the creeps.
RabiuAnka:
Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has made good his promise to throw away his U.S residency green card and leave the United States, if Donald Trump won the presidential election.
This came as he said that Nigeria was sinking when Buhari took power .
Soyinka had vowed that he would give up his permanent US residency should Trump win the election, as a way of protesting Trump becoming the President of the United States.
“I have already done it, I have disengaged (from the United States). I have done what I said I would do.
“I had a horror of what is to come with Trump… I threw away the (green) card, and I have relocated, and I’m back to where I have always been,’’ the 82-year-old told AFP on the sidelines of an education conference at the University of Johannesburg, South Africa.
The prolific playwright, novelist and poet won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1986 and has been a regular teacher at US universities including Harvard, Cornell and Yale.
At the same time, he said he would not discourage others from applying for a green card.
“It’s useful in many ways. I wouldn’t for one single moment discourage any Nigerians or anybody from acquiring a green card… but I have had enough of it,” he said.
Soyinka, one of Africa’s most famous writers and rights activists, was jailed in 1967 for 22 months during Nigeria’s civil war.
He was reported to have recently completed a term as scholar-in-residence at New York University’s Institute of African American Affairs.
In the aftermath of Trump’s victory, social media had trended with calls by Nigerians on the laureate to destroy his US permanent residency.
He, however, fired back that he reserved the right to determine when to destroy the document.
Soyinka also said yesterday that he was not surprised that President Muhammadu Buhari had lost popularity just 18 months into office, given the high expectations that greeted his coming to power
He said: “There’s nothing surprising to me about his losing popularity, it should be expected. People wanted change, that word was not just a slogan, it was a promise.’’
Soyinka, who noted that Nigeria was sinking when Buhari took power, said But when he took over power, said:
“Fulfilling political promises when you take over the reins of power and you have to clean up a lot of mess, it’s not easy,” said the Nobel prize-winning author.
The ex-military ruler has seen his approval ratings decline in recent months from 80 percent last year to 41 percent this September, according to analysis firm BMI Research.
Soyinka said while Buhari was the better choice of the two candidates in last year’s election where he squared off against ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, it was high time the country weaned itself off leaders with military backgrounds.
“I was not particularly enamoured of the idea of a military person continuing — for heaven’s sake, it’s been too long.
“I feel very passionate that it’s about time that we eliminated the last vestiges of military control, of military representation. It’s as if there are no brains outside the military,’’ he said.http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/12/nigeria-sinking-buhari-took-power-soyinka/
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by Dcanio: 7:37am On Dec 02, 2016
Nigeria was sinking and the Buhari and his ill appointed team allowed the country to drown and no plans or equipment in place to pull the country out. Bull shit
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by LordOfNaira: 7:44am On Dec 02, 2016
Otono123:
This Afonja

Shut up!!! This is a great man. A citizen of the world. Instead of being petty, why not work hard to get to the pinnacle of your career just as Soyinka did by winning the world's highest prize in literature.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by buffalowings: 7:50am On Dec 02, 2016
ZKOSOSO:
Thank God Buhari the 'Messiah' arrived quickly to 'salvage' the situation .....

Sometimes I wonder if Wole knows much of the suffering and extreme hunger in the land...

I dey tell you

He is so far removed from what the situation is on ground
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by Mrjo(m): 7:51am On Dec 02, 2016
UnknownT:
Won't be surprised if he relocates to SA to take a job there. One of our universities in Nigeria should engage him nah!!! Prof. should drop "some knowledge" for our Nigerian University students before he finally retires or is called to glory
knw this that man is beyond that age @ 80 plus what did u still want from him? Eg: he siad "we have 2 candidate" while as we hav 11, so is that what u want him to teach our futụre generation?
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by comos: 7:52am On Dec 02, 2016
oga, abeg go tear your green card
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by UnknownT: 7:56am On Dec 02, 2016
Mrjo:
knw this that man is beyond that age @ 80 plus what did u still want from him? Eg: he siad "we have 2 candidate" while as we hav 11, so is that what u want him to teach our futụre generation?
2 major candidates. The other 9 candidates didn't score upto 10% of the total votes cast. Just like the last US election were 2 parties were the major players. Yes, he is 82+ years, whatever he has been teaching them in US, we need him here
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by davidif: 8:03am On Dec 02, 2016
Chiefpriest1:
That is true.

But he was elected to stop the downward sloping, yet he has been behaving like someone who never prepared for office, even after trying for 12 years.

Buhari had an emergency to deal with, yet his actions showed that of a man who thought he had eternity to make a difference.

Nigeria was sinking , now it's almost sunk. No thanks to his predecessor and him.

Are these people who have paraded themselves as our leaders since the return of democracy really the best we have.

Answer is NO. They are only qualified for our WORST eleven. Nigeria can do better.

If we have the first African to win a nobel laureate in literature, richest black man here in our country, it means we are not useless after all.

We need to get our politics right. I am sure the parties are already preparing another set of mumus for 2019. In the end, our choices are always limited in every election.

[size=18pt]GBAM![/size]
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by Myself2(m): 8:06am On Dec 02, 2016
grin grin grin
Wole Soyinka the shameless liar that has made a fool of himself wants to distract Nigerians from holding him to account to fulfil his stuupid threat to tear the American passport.Mumu ,you for try am nahhh,whether you no go hear wehnnn
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by TruthNigeria(m): 8:12am On Dec 02, 2016
jomoh:
I vowed never to join the group of wailers unroll after three years of PMBs administration knowing fully my views during the campaign that brought PMB to Aso Rock simply because I will not destroy what I help build. At the least not until I see that the cause is lost.

People with shallow minds that lacks the deep understanding of the real "cause" of the mess we are in and how we for here are mostly the ones shouting.

With all the corruption and embezzlement that Nigerians in power are known for, only a fool will believe all the campaign promises made during the election. Donald trump rode to power on the back of his public display of hatred against the blacks, mexicans and Muslims threatening to deport all of them which most of them believed he will do. But even before swearing in, he has back tracked two steps already. First he said he won't deport all of them but only the illegal immigrants. Later he said it is not all illegal immigrants but the ones with criminal records. That is one out of the many promises he made that he has back tracked on.

That is a country that is well organised and have the capacity to to almost whatever they set their sights on.

Better organised countries like Saudi Arabia, Russia and the likes are feeling the effect of drop in crude oil prices. Reason for the reduction of their daily production for the first time ever. Just to force up the price of crude in the market. How much more a prodigal country like Nigeria that squandered all it's earned riches.

Anyone that believes the present government can make any tangible change in the First 3years of it's administration is to me a big FOOL.

I was in Abuja during the campaign and election but foreseeing the impending hardship that will fall on the Abuja economy I relocated back to my strong base in Ibadan where I can get strong supports. Now the people I worked with are complaining and finding it hard to make ends meet.

Presently the economy might be in shambles but it has always been like this. The only difference is that the free money that were being thrown around to paper over the deep underlying cracks are no more there to throw around. I have been surviving it for a long time, Long before PMB came. So if I have to manage for PMBs first three and half years, after which I can conveniently conclude if PMB had failed or succeeded, it won't kill me.

I never regretted helping to send the theiving slowpoke and his gang of bandits back to his otuoke village.

You're just amazing....more satisfying with your comments than having a breakfast. 1love

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by smith2bj(m): 8:20am On Dec 02, 2016
If u wnt us to believe that Nigeria wz sinking b4 Buhari take ove power, n now Nigeria is floating tear your green card and come back n enjoy the floating Nigeria. If u don't God will punish oooh[color=#000099][/color]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by Qasim6(m): 8:24am On Dec 02, 2016
Atiku2019:
We All Know it was sinking, but right now we are drowning so fast like a piece of rock thrown into a River .

#Atiku2019
No be only Atiku2019 nah Obasanjo2019. Recycling same old fo0ls.
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by AkupeMBANO(m): 8:27am On Dec 02, 2016
prof. has smoked again.
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by xnsandrxns: 8:28am On Dec 02, 2016
Otono123:
This Afonja
He's greater than all your lineage combined times 10
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by johnsonjosbles(m): 8:32am On Dec 02, 2016
SirJeffry:
Don't worry Prof, you will understand it better by the time you stay very well, shebi you don tear your US green card.grin
he never know chumtin, when he buy 500k disel per month to power his generator when no light, or when armed rubbers visit him 2wice in 3month e go sabi say nigeria here i come
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by hernandson(m): 8:36am On Dec 02, 2016
Atiku2019:
We All Know it was sinking, but right now we are drowning so fast like a piece of rock thrown into a River .

#Atiku2019
what is dis one saying! Atiku? Am sure u dnt knw who atiku is, smh suffering would be an understatement

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by Nobody: 8:38am On Dec 02, 2016
From my understanding, Buhari only got into power not because of the interest of Nigerians but because of his personal vendetta against those who removed him and also for self gratification. Many Nigerian leaders are like this. Once they don't finish their tenure, e.g., fayose, they believe they must come back. I won't be surprised if after obj dies he comes from his grave to finish his proposed third term by force.

Another issue which I wanted to state on the 10000 dollar limit thread but will state it here. The CBN is trying to curtail the amount of dollar it citizens pumps into other countries by setting a limit on our own money. Understandable but fooolish. The incessant trips by the president, is it naira they spend when they go to their so called unproductive world meetings which has been nothing but detrimental to the economy. Buhari couldn't make his own electoral debate but is attending world seminars where he can't make any meaningful contributions.

Buhari is not a leader. His strength has weaned and also his brain capacity. Common with old people. I never supported GEJ but the rate at which he is still being blamed shows an irresponsible president we have when those who know politics know OBJ is the grandfather of this doom.

Everything in the presidential villa is imported but the government tells us to use our own. When will they realize that every sector in Nigeria is rotten. They use government(stolen) to the their own children the best education but how many scholarships are given to an average Nigerian. When will the government make budgets to at least improve one sector we can boast of. Our certificates are shiit. Our little exported produce are banned sometimes.

When will they get it right leave jonathan alone and stop dwelling in the past. If buhari can just boost just one sector, education or agriculture and vacates office, I think we can give him a thumbs up other than his lack of economic policy.

I can list so many things but will stop so I don't make a lengthy post.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by MENELIK1: 8:38am On Dec 02, 2016
Myself2:
grin grin grin
Wole Soyinka the shameless liar that has made a fool of himself wants to distract Nigerians from holding him to account to fulfil his stuupid threat to tear the American passport.Mumu ,you for try am nahhh,whether you no go hear wehnnn
How I wish your parents are responsible!
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by agbangam: 8:47am On Dec 02, 2016
GossipHeart:

When Goodluck Jonathan was the President

$1 was 150 naira (now 470 naira)

One loaf of Bread was 100 naira (now 500 naira)

One bag of rice was 6000 naira (now 50 thousand naira)

One litre of fuel was 80 naira (now 300 naira)

One cup of garri was 30 naira (now 400 naira)

One pure water was 5 naira (now 30 naira)

One baby goat was 300 naira (now 9 thousand naira)

One old layer chicken was 500 naira (now 5,000 naira)

Goodluck Jonathan invented Boko Haram

Goodluck Jonathan killed Osama bin laden

Goodluck Jonathan killed Yar'adua

Turn to your neighbor and ask him/her, have you blamed Goodluck Jonathan today ??

Goodluck Jonathan don suffer for these zombie hands, they must blame him for everything

ur post shows how unintellectual n dull u are.
My dear u 4got to also mention dat crude oil sold for close to $120/barel but all funds were stolen wit no savings made by GEJ govt. PMB might not be performing due to some factors e.g poor price of crude oil but GEJ govt was a massive failure.
GEJ govt saw so much money n wasted all.
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by tammie24: 8:50am On Dec 02, 2016
This man should learn to shut up his mouth for once
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by repogirl(f): 8:52am On Dec 02, 2016
This Soyinka has lost all sense of shame just because of 5 million naira dinner!

Even Obasanjo that supported Buhari has come out to say things as they are but this one is still deceiving himself.

Buhari has always been a dullard. What has he ever done for Nigeria to make one think otherwise?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by teozey111(m): 8:53am On Dec 02, 2016
that afonja should destroy his green card as he boasted he would and not talk rubbish.....
he's not even a man of his words ....poo afonja professor
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by Saintp(m): 9:04am On Dec 02, 2016
Chiefpriest1:
That is true.

But he was elected to stop the downward sloping, yet he has been behaving like someone who never prepared for office, even after trying for 12 years.

Buhari had an emergency to deal with, yet his actions showed that of a man who thought he had eternity to make a difference.

Nigeria was sinking , now it's almost sunk. No thanks to his predecessor and him.

Are these people who have paraded themselves as our leaders since the return of democracy really the best we have.

Answer is NO. They are only qualified for our WORST eleven. Nigeria can do better.

If we have the first African to win a nobel laureate in literature, richest black man here in our country, it means we are not useless after all.

We need to get our politics right. I am sure the parties are already preparing another set of mumus for 2019. In the end, our choices are always limited in every election.

That is why I don't even have a voters card . I can't see myself voting for idiots, I rather watch nollywod movies or play street football.
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by fkdmods: 9:09am On Dec 02, 2016
Atiku2019:

#Atiku2019

And you will keep drowning since you don't want to learn your lessons. Aren't you ashamed of yourself? You are campaigning for the same kind of people who put you all into the quagmire you are in right now and yet you want a better country. I honestly believe that Nigerians are genetically tuned to be in constant pain and suffering. At the end of the day, i am pretty sure you are doing all this for selfish reasons. Just so that someone will give you "something". The Nigerian citizen is the biggest problem in Nigeria. Smh.
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by jomoh: 9:09am On Dec 02, 2016
TruthNigeria:

You're just amazing....more satisfying with your comments than having a breakfast. 1love

Thanks bro.

I just had to comment. it's been a while I commented on anything that had to do with this administration all because most of the comments I see are either filled with opinions that displayed shallow mindedness, pure ignorance or hypocrisy.

Most people just either did not know what they signed up for thinking PMB will turn Nigeria into Dubai in a year just because he made some promise without taking into consideration the deep underlying issues or they are ignorant or displaying their hypocrisy while some are just being plain stuqid.

An example of the stupid ones is a close friend of mine. Once we were travelling to Lagos from Ibadan in his vehicle along the way we picked up a police man for a free ride. They started saying all sorts about the economy and administration I tried to make them understand but I later found out I couldn't and decided to keep quiet while the continue all sorts till we got to lagos. This my friend was a graduate of accounting and a former staff of GTB (headquaters) thinking the same way with a policeman who most probably at the best was a primary school holder. Obviously I can't call that ignorance, neither is it hypocrisy but plain stupidity.

Eventually when we got to Lagos at his elder brother's place, his elder brother (a graduate of architecture who 92nd his own company) and his brother's wife (a fresh graduate of chemistry) both commented and he was made to look like a fool.

He said why didn't I say anything in the vehicle, I said I saw their conversation as a chatter of illiterate market women. Everyonelse bursted into laughter except him because he realised it was the truth.
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by Nobody: 9:20am On Dec 02, 2016
iokpebholo:
Oga wole pls where is ur America green card? Hypocrite.
Prof threw it into his wardrobe...... lol

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by breakeven: 9:29am On Dec 02, 2016
This man is a disapointment. if we were sinking, Now your teacher and master the dullard has drowned us.
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by adedehinbo(m): 9:34am On Dec 02, 2016
GossipHeart:

When Goodluck Jonathan was the President

$1 was 150 naira (now 470 naira)

One loaf of Bread was 100 naira (now 500 naira)

One bag of rice was 6000 naira (now 50 thousand naira)

One litre of fuel was 80 naira (now 300 naira)

One cup of garri was 30 naira (now 400 naira)

One pure water was 5 naira (now 30 naira)

One baby goat was 300 naira (now 9 thousand naira)

One old layer chicken was 500 naira (now 5,000 naira)

Goodluck Jonathan invented Boko Haram

Goodluck Jonathan killed Osama bin laden

Goodluck Jonathan killed Yar'adua

Turn to your neighbor and ask him/her, have you blamed Goodluck Jonathan today ??

Goodluck Jonathan don suffer for these zombie hands, they must blame him for everything

the write up is not for u only the intellect would understand
Re: Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka by adedehinbo(m): 9:37am On Dec 02, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:
However Nigeria has sunk completely under the daura dullardeen.
When will these desperate power grabbers stop blaming GEJ for their failures and take responsibility for their actions and inactions?

Afonjas are like most women that doesn't know what they want and cannot be pleased. Both the young and old think alike.
the write up is not for u only the intellect would understand

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aduke / My Days As An OAU Fresher - True Life Story / Literature Section Awards 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.