Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,555 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? (19107 Views)

Help: Choosing Between Transportation Geography Vs Industrial Geography / Forget Everything That Geography Taught You About The Solar System Model / Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by muhamadnur: 2:36pm On Dec 05, 2016
orimsamsam:
Urban planning, in university, is usually a combination of geography and architecture, along with some elements of economics, sociology and political science. They offer the same courses with architecture student In the first year and second semester of there second year in the university

Geography is the study of place and the relationship between people and dere environment
pls what of geology and urp.
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by ademasta(m): 2:36pm On Dec 05, 2016
Dayanto:
Geography vs Urban and Regional planning are two different course. Geography is not a professional course while Urban and Regional planning is. Urban, City, Spatial, Physical Planning is recognized as Town Planning in Nigeria, which after passing through the professional exams by TOPREC you are registered and can establish your firm or work in Government Agencies in charge of development, still you can work in the private sectors for construction companies etc...The Town Planner decides what happens to Land, what be in place and what should be demolished.Town Planners render services like :-
* Preparing the Master plan of a City
* Preparing Layouts for Estates development
* Pursuit of Development permit for clients(prospective house owners).
* Advocacy planning: Defense of a client in court in cases of illegal demolition by development control agencies which is also headed by a Town Planner.
* Preparation of SPAR, and EIAR
* Preparation of plans( buildings from knowledge of Architecture) and maps.
* Supervise construction of buildings from knowledge of related courses in the built-in industry.
In essence, you can't compare geography with Town Planning
Wow, thanks for this.
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by orimsamsam(m): 2:54pm On Dec 05, 2016
muhamadnur:
pls what of geology and urp.
they are different. Am a student currently studying geology in futa, ave explain URP in my formal post.

Geology is the study of earth and its minerals content using the rocks in which the earth is composed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by ademasta(m): 3:01pm On Dec 05, 2016
orimsamsam:
they are different. Am a student currently studying geology in futa, ave explain URP in my formal post.

Geology is the study of earth and its minerals content using the rocks in which the earth is composed
Futarian
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by mitcano7(m): 3:02pm On Dec 05, 2016
i actually prefer urp....maybe coz dats wat am studying. undecided

1 Like

Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by orimsamsam(m): 3:04pm On Dec 05, 2016
ademasta:

Futarian
yes am a futarian

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by ademasta(m): 3:06pm On Dec 05, 2016
orimsamsam:
yes am a futarian
Great
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by djlaqua91(m): 3:06pm On Dec 05, 2016
greenermodels:
maka gini?(because of what?)

na joke o grin
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by timmycris(m): 3:06pm On Dec 05, 2016
am currently studying urp! it's a nice course
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by 2special(m): 3:09pm On Dec 05, 2016
Ademasta,pls let him go for geography for his Bsc and URP for Msc....Goodluck!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by muhamadnur: 3:14pm On Dec 05, 2016
orimsamsam:

nyc to know im jst curious, so do i, also studyin geology in unimaid. "Hi fellow granite"
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by orimsamsam(m): 3:16pm On Dec 05, 2016
muhamadnur:
nyc to know im jst curious, so do i, also studyin geology in unimaid. "Hi fellow granite"
lolz. Geology out rank both URP And Geography

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by Molly1991(m): 3:28pm On Dec 05, 2016
Geography is better for me because of its wide knowledge with good grade in geography u can go for ur m.sc with any of the courses related to it without passing through pgd.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by koolapo(m): 3:33pm On Dec 05, 2016
I study Geography and Environmental management. It's a wide course tho we also do regional planning. I hope to be a pilot someday tho but Geography is a very nice course n it gives more opportunity

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by gregyboy(m): 3:34pm On Dec 05, 2016
donigspain:
NONE!!! I studied Geography and Meteorology. I have friends who studied URP (same Environmental Science Faculty). None of us works in our field of study even with my best graduating student blah blah blah. There is no job in these fields here in Nigeria unless you want to be a Sec Sch teacher. Let him/her choose any of Architecture, Remote sensing, Surveying, GPS or GIS if he/she is hell bent on working in the environmental field!!! This is what I will advice my own child.

d two is actually good urp mainly base on human geography eg like human settlement,population they are know as town planners while grp or geogrphy deals on the physical geography like weather, rock etc but all thesame dey just few things that differeciate them thats urp is more of an architect than geography

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by JosephCudjoe(m): 3:34pm On Dec 05, 2016
Mrokaykay:

Another wrong twist of history.. The first application of GIS was done in the area of Public Health to map diseases spread...in fact Programmers, computer scientist, Mathematicians, Statisticians, Surveyors etc have contributed are still contributing to the advancement of GIS... Moreover in some universities GIS and Remote Sensing is under the faculty of sciences, some engineering others Environmental design..

Not a wrong twist..i know my history well Dr Snow used d knowledge of cartography to map out cholera nd not medicine. And at that he was a also a trained cartographer too wich was under geog

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by mrlime: 3:50pm On Dec 05, 2016
ademasta:

Wow, thanks for this.
don't mind him ooo geography and planning is a professional course too. Urp and geography and planning works together because they are related

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Dec 05, 2016
Medicine
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by wacoj(m): 4:20pm On Dec 05, 2016
How can someone go to the University in this 21st century just to study geography?
na wa o!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by Jedidiah94(m): 4:52pm On Dec 05, 2016
Yes URP may be professional course that a reason I think you shouldnt waste five years in studying it. And moreover if d geography is applied i mean attach with other course let say enviromental sciences it more good. Studying geography gives more opens opportunities even if there is need to change career path while URP don't. If u study geography i think u can write d professional exam for URP. so go for Geography

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 05, 2016
JosephCudjoe:

Not a wrong twist..i know my history well Dr Snow used d knowledge of cartography to map out cholera nd not medicine. And at that he was a also a trained cartographer too wich was under geog
You are getting your facts wrong Cartography is not under Geography... They are interwoven doesn't mean one is under another... Is just like saying Physics is under Mathematics or Mathematics is Under Physics

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by ademasta(m): 5:09pm On Dec 05, 2016
mrlime:
don't mind him ooo geography and planning is a professional course too. Urp and geography and planning works together because they are related
Thanks boss
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by ademasta(m): 5:09pm On Dec 05, 2016
Jedidiah94:
Yes URP may be professional course that a reason I think you shouldnt waste five years in studying it. And moreover if d geography is applied i mean attach with other course let say enviromental sciences it more good. Studying geography gives more opens opportunities even if there is need to change career path while URP don't. If u study geography i think u can write d professional exam for URP. so go for Geography
Thanks a lot sir
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by ademasta(m): 5:11pm On Dec 05, 2016
Molly1991:
Geography is better for me because of its wide knowledge with good grade in geography u can go for ur m.sc with any of the courses related to it without passing through pgd.
Thanks sir
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by ademasta(m): 5:12pm On Dec 05, 2016
2special:
Ademasta,pls let him go for geography for his Bsc and URP for Msc....Goodluck!
Thanks boss@2special
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by donigspain(m): 5:13pm On Dec 05, 2016
gregyboy:

d two is actually good urp mainly base on human geography eg like human settlement,population they are know as town planners while grp or geogrphy deals on the physical geography like weather, rock etc but all thesame dey just few things that differeciate them thats urp is more of an architect than geography
Oga, are you teaching me what I spent 4 years studying? We are talking about the almost 0% viability of these courses in the Nigerian labour market. If we are talking about some western countries then yes, they are good courses but here in Nigeria, don't even advice your enemy to waste their time on them.
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by Mancentral(m): 5:38pm On Dec 05, 2016
Pls ask him to choose Geography. Geography has more applications, while URP is limited to planning. With Geography, he can go into Cartography, GIS, Information Technology, Hydrology, Geo informatics and many other fields. Work prospects are also quite better for Geography majors, if you specialize. You can work in Oil and Gas, Surveying, Engineering/Planning, Data collection and development. You can also work in the IT field. I am talking from experience because i have applied myself in these areas with a B.SC in Geography and a masters in GIS.
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by leonJunior: 6:43pm On Dec 05, 2016
OMG!!! i have confession to make. am a student of Urp and to be frank with u i ve never been proud of my course because it was not what i intended studying bt with comments above i now feel relieved. thank you all and God bless
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by suleiman16(m): 6:56pm On Dec 05, 2016
massinola:
Your choice of the one to choose between the two depends on your future carrier ambition. for the guy giving his reason on why you should choose URP to be because secondary schools are retrenching geography teacher is way out of the line. going by that his argument, people should stop studying chemical engineering, banking and finance, accounting because oil, banking sectors have been retrenching workers since last year. If you have any ambition of joining force, going into GIS, cartography, Meteorology, Environmental resource management, I strongly advice you to go for Geography. but if your ambition is to become a secondary school teacher, then go for URP as the earlier poster suggested because they are not retrenching them unlike the geography teachers. I studied Geography/Meteorology in Federal university of technology, minna. presently I'm running a master programme in environmental resource management in the same school. rounding off the programme almost. Google environmental resource management and URP and choose for yourself. as I said earlier, your choice should be determined by your future career ambition. No course is superior to the other as no course can take the place of the other.

You have said it all Brother... Can't Agree less

It is ur boy Suleiman Akande (2015 Set) Geography /Remote Sensing
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by sephry(m): 8:30pm On Dec 05, 2016
Let him choose the one he has passion for
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 05, 2016
Let him go for urp. Urban planning is good
Reasons are
1. It will make him use his imagination more since the course involves design work
2. The course is very underrated but is actually a good course Nigeria is suffering from poor urban development so more urban planners like me and may him will restructure the urban pattern in Nigeria
Re: Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? by muhamadnur: 10:03pm On Dec 05, 2016
orimsamsam:
lolz. Geology out rank both URP And Geography
good to know, pls what level ar u?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Worst Schools In Nigeria? / Micheal Okpara University Of Agriculture Male Hostel Burnt By Fire / The Big Break Moment Africa Record Breaking Students Mountain Hike In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.