Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:04 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (682319 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 9:14pm On Jan 16, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Not in my city, but many cities now offer citywide free WiFi.

Naija which was forward? When?

Hope the cold weather didn't affect you too much. If you ever make it out to the West Coast, my Wife and I are near Los Angeles.
That's what surprises me about the government and MTN and likes. Nigerians should get affordable broad band for schools, homes and Co. at lower rate.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by maternal: 9:23pm On Jan 16, 2017
Getbizzzy:

But how did the man that sought for asylum get there (Canada)?

Are you talking about this case ?

http://globalnews.ca/news/3180522/ghanaian-community-in-winnipeg-comes-together-to-help-frostbitten-refugees/

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jan 16, 2017
guiddoti:
You asked for proof, here is it. no stop! haha
That guy is a lawyer, I guess.

I asked for proof of asylum being granted based on sexual preference. It hasn't been provided.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jan 16, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I asked for proof of asylum being granted based on sexual preference. It hasn't been provided.
There you go
http://www.ericmbernallaw.com/Articles/Desperately-seeking-asylum-in-the-United-States.shtml

The Mr. Oliver came out as a homosexual in 2005. While on a visit to the US in 2012 for an AIDS conference, he decided to apply for asylum. A few months later, he was granted asylum.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by signature2012(m): 10:23pm On Jan 16, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Not in my city, but many cities now offer citywide free WiFi.

Naija which was forward?When?

Hope the cold weather didn't affect you too much. If you ever make it out to the West Coast, my Wife and I are near Los Angeles.

Naija bawo?You pay for DSTV subscription in naija,any small blow of wind or thunder striking,you are out of signal.
Here you pay for your cable and have access to unlimited wifi in your apartment.I ask myself,cant this also be done in naija?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 10:45pm On Jan 16, 2017
signature2012:

Naija bawo?You pay for DSTV subscription in naija,any small blow of wind or thunder striking,you are out of signal.
Here you pay for your cable and have access to unlimited wifi in your apartment.I ask myself,cant this also be done in naija?

My brother, that's just the truth. The DSTV own is just funny. The cable we use here is xfinity, the wifi speed is bloody, unlimited channels, Netflix and it comes with a glow-in-the-dark remote that you search for tv channels or programs just by speaking into the remote. grin

Guy! grin

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by shinym(m): 10:54pm On Jan 16, 2017
This Senorita123 sha!

Senorita123:
Congrats bro. Going through dis your thread and d pix actually made me drool. The Lord that changed your status will change mine too very soon. This country Nigeria has no plan for the youths nor d masses. Na d fastest way to leave dey hunger me. We keep hoping it will get better but it keeps getting worse. Ppl keep saying no place like home but in the real sense to me, home is where joy is and where people can boast of a comfortable life whether abroad or local. Home is where the life of the citizens are more important than anything. Home is where an average citizen can afford 3 square meals per day. Home is where security is well guaranteed. Home is where there is no huge discrepancy between the rich and the poor. Home is where our resources and funds are not being embezzled by our corrupt leaders . Home is where there are job provisions for graduates. HOME is where there is HOPE!! Home is, home is, home is, home is.................. ABROAD

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by austino677(m): 11:17pm On Jan 16, 2017
FrankNetter:

My brother, that's just the truth. The DSTV own is just funny. The cable we use here is xfinity, the wifi speed is bloody, unlimited channels, Netflix and it comes with a remote that you search for tv channels or programs just by speaking into the remote. grin

Guy! grin
u never tell us about girls nawaooo abi no girls in America again undecided cry

19 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by bikerboy1(m): 11:57pm On Jan 16, 2017
FrankNetter:
Good news guys, my permanent residency card just arrived in the mail. grin

Happiness is too mild an adjective to describe how I feel right now,

Do you know what this entails?

This means the level of success I would attain in this country is directly proportional to the level of hardwork I put in. Nothing can dampen my enthusiasm for life at this moment. The sky is not just my limit, it's my stepping stone. cool

Congrats bro. Everything is happening so fast. You are greatly favoured.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jan 16, 2017
CFCman:

There you go
http://www.ericmbernallaw.com/Articles/Desperately-seeking-asylum-in-the-United-States.shtml

The Mr. Oliver came out as a homosexual in 2005. While on a visit to the US in 2012 for an AIDS conference, he decided to apply for asylum. A few months later, he was granted asylum.

Excellent.

We now have proof of Nigerians getting asylum status.

Kids of Nairaland, this is how you debate and with facts, like an adult, not in an infantile manner.

12 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 12:02am On Jan 17, 2017
signature2012:

Because we allow them by participating in their scheme.

We need to learn how to dictate with our money.

I cancelled my cable services many years ago and now just get free broadcast (I don't watch TV that much anyways). I saved $150 a month. The cable company calls me weeks on end to try to get me to sign back up and offer me titillating deals but I told them that there's no reason why anyone should be paying $175 for TV.

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:04am On Jan 17, 2017
bikerboy1:

Congrats bro. Everything is happening so fast. You are greatly favoured.

Yeah man, it appears so. That's why I just laugh at those trying to come here and throw shade at me. grin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by bikerboy1(m): 12:17am On Jan 17, 2017
FrankNetter:

Yeah man, it appears so. That's why I just laugh at those trying to come here and throw shade at me. grin

Who God don BLESS no man can curse. Shine on Bro
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 2:22am On Jan 17, 2017
FrankNetter:

Dont mind them. One thin I realized is that if you're happy for someone's success God would surely arise and do yours too. I was surprised when I finally got my visa late last year too after several attempts over the previous years and i kept hopin in God and kept putin more efforts and never hated on the people i knew thatvhad already traveled outta Naija buh instead, i was using their blessings to pray for mine. smiley

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by falopey: 2:34am On Jan 17, 2017
Bossman:
Your relative has not disclosed to you exactly how he got the green card. Definitely not based on his masters! Unless may be the masters is a very rare one and there is a need for people with that particular masters. I just can't imagine that's the case.

If you graduated as a professional in the US, you can apply for H1 visa while you are there and work your way to citizenship. Even if you are a professional from Nigeria, in as much as you have already set your foot on US soil, you can apply and get your H1 based on your profession even before you write exams to get license to practice.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 2:46am On Jan 17, 2017
maternal:

First of all congrats on the verge of getting your PR. But just an advice. JUST FOCUS ON OFFICIALLY GETTING YOUR PR. Once you get it then we can go from there. You're trying to run before crawling, that's very dangerous when dealing with immigration issues. But I still need more info. Is it a provincial sponsor PR where you'll have to stay in that province (state) for x amount of years ? If so cool down and do your time. If not, you can always message me. 72-100k per year up here in the oilfields is chump change. Cleaners who are illierate get that. I can always direct you to job postings. All you have to do is get certain oilsand safety certificate which takes a day. Take a look at the link below. One of the Ghana lady I know on site who's like 50 years old, said if you join this union, you'll be set as they'll post up up north on camp. All she does is throw out the garbage and put the plates in the dish washer. She literally does nothing as I always see her sitting down and watching TV. She clears/takes home 6k dollars every month after tax without overtime. The link also shows you the certificates you need.

On a side note stop being selfish. Why don't you explain to the people how your experience has been since coming to Canada and being on the verge of getting your PR. Is the government immigrant friendly like they've been advertising ? Do you think you made a good decision coming to Canada oppose to US/UK, etc. Talk to us.

http://www.local47.net/join-unite-here-local-47/
Thanks for the explicit response bro! I actually intend givung both the Pnp and Express Entry a shot, so whichever click...
My experience so far has been fair enough! Considering my heavy workload...Their course curriculum here is very intense, and it is structured to make one think critically...I basically had little or no time to juggle jobs with my coursework during my first two semesters...However, during the last summer I had to maximize my working time and finances, i must have made about during the 4 months working about hours per week...It wasn't easy though! All went down into paying some portion of the tuition, books and the recursive bills...

People here are very friendly, and they're always willing to help especially the elderly ones...For me, canada is the best place to be for now in several aspect. The advantages over the likes of UK and US is just too numerous to mention....I was actually considering the US prior to my coming, but after doing my homework I got to realize Canada represents a more viable investment, with the chances of securing stay upon graduation almost guaranteed coupled with affordable tuition...I was basically discouraging a friend that was bent on studying in the UK, have never been a fan of the the UK though...

Overall, I would say it worth all the effort of long visa processing and competitive University admissions....The quality of teaching, the standard of living, and the very many opportunities it offers is just too good...I will encourage anyone with intention of schooling abroad to give Canada a shot, you just can't go wrong...It is liken to a win-win scenario...But the cold here na die, it is like living inside deep freezer for 6 consecutive months...
Sorry for any typos!

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by maternal: 4:24am On Jan 17, 2017
DPizzy:

Thanks for the explicit response bro! I actually intend givung both the Pnp and Express Entry a shot, so whichever click...
My experience so far has been fair enough! Considering my heavy workload...Their course curriculum here is very intense, and it is structured to make one think critically...I basically had little or no time to juggle jobs with my coursework during my first two semesters...However, during the last summer I had to maximize my working time and finances, i must have made about $13k during the 4 months working about 64 hours per week...It wasn't easy though! All went down into paying some portion of the tuition, books and the recursive bills...

People here are very friendly, and they're always willing to help especially the elderly ones...For me, canada is the best place to be for now in several aspect. The advantages over the likes of UK and US is just too numerous to mention....I was actually considering the US prior to my coming, but after doing my homework I got to realize Canada represents a more viable investment, with the chances of securing stay upon graduation almost guaranteed coupled with affordable tuition...I was basically discouraging a friend that was bent on studying in the UK, have never been a fan of the the UK though...

Overall, I would say it worth all the effort of long visa processing and competitive University admissions....The quality of teaching, the standard of living, and the very many opportunities it offers is just too good...I will encourage anyone with intention of schooling abroad to give Canada a shot, you just can't go wrong...It is liken to a win-win scenario...But the cold here na die, it is like living inside deep freezer for 6 consecutive months...
Sorry for any typos!

Which Province/City are you in ? Thanks for confirming everything I've been telling people for some time now. Why people pick the US or UK before Canada is beyond me. Both countries international fees are easily 50 percent more than a Canadian school, and you'll be most likely told to leave after graduation. Then you go back to naija with all that money spent on international fees, just to sit down at home and be unemployed. I too have told many to come to Canada, only to be ignored. Years later and a deportation notice from the home office or US immigration, they're now back in naija applying as a skilled worker to try to enter Canada lol. You'll get a 3 year work visa since you graduated from a Canadian University. Ask people with experience or hire an immigration lawyer to help certify that PR card. That should be your sole focus as that'll guarantee you citizenship. Forget the oilfields for now. DO NOT leave Canada until you get that card. As for the weather, you'll become acclimatize. And once you buy a car, you'll be driving around in a warm car, you won't even notice/care about the cold. So you made 13k or 3.1 million naira in 4 months. Why didn't you leave Canada, go to Ajegunle, and buy a house outright ? Why stay here and suffer ?

Welcome to Canada.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by signature2012(m): 4:44am On Jan 17, 2017
Welcome to Canada.

You just keep tempting me to port to canada...@maternal.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lagosrd: 5:22am On Jan 17, 2017
maternal:

Which Province/City are you in ? Thanks for confirming everything I've been telling people for some time now. Why people pick the US or UK before Canada is beyond me. Both countries international fees are easily 50 percent more than a Canadian school, and you'll be most likely told to leave after graduation. Then you go back to naija with all that money spent on international fees, just to sit down at home and be unemployed. I too have told many to come to Canada, only to be ignored. Years later and a deportation notice from the home office or US immigration, they're now back in naija applying as a skilled worker to try to enter Canada lol. You'll get a 3 year work visa since you graduated from a Canadian University. Ask people with experience or hire an immigration lawyer to help certify that PR card. That should be your sole focus as that'll guarantee you citizenship. Forget the oilfields for now. DO NOT leave Canada until you get that card. As for the weather, you'll become acclimatize. And once you buy a car, you'll be driving around in a warm car, you won't even notice/care about the cold. So you made 13k or 3.1 million naira in 4 months. Why didn't you leave Canada, go to Ajegunle, and buy a house outright ? Why stay here and suffer ?

Welcome to Canada.

It seems. People just sees you as too strict. By you're just saying the gospel truth about what is obtainable. Pls can I know which school offers the cheapest tuition for international students and most preferable in your opinion. Thanks

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 8:06am On Jan 17, 2017
guiddoti:
seems you are a barrister at law.
Not yet. I'm only a student of the law, for now. cool

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MrChris1(m): 8:45am On Jan 17, 2017
maternal:

The ignorance Africans have when it comes to credit is pathetic. Well said. I work in the oilfields with other igbos. I know some who used credit and bought several condos. There monthly payments are 700 dollars per month for each unit (The man owns 3), but charges and gets 1300 per month. That's a 600 dollar profit each month per unit. Times that by 3, that's 1800 dollars per month for doing absolutely nothing. He now takes that 1800 and pays 1500 dollars per month towards his own house which his family lives in. That leaves him with 300 dollars to pay the utilities and property tax. So he's paying nothing per month for 3 condo units and his house. Now to mention those property must have appreciated in value significantly all those years.

Well said!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ttmacoy: 10:08am On Jan 17, 2017
Not technically correct, you cannot apply for H1 visa, you have to get employed by a company who them applies for a H1 visa for you or it is the employer who applies for you not just you finish studies and apply or land in America and apply.

falopey:

If you graduated as a professional in the US, you can apply for H1 visa while you are there and work your way to citizenship. Even if you are a professional from Nigeria, in as much as you have already set your foot on US soil, you can apply and get your H1 based on your profession even before you write exams to get license to practice.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by plainmirror(m): 10:16am On Jan 17, 2017
austino677:
u never tell us about girls nawaooo abi no girls in America again undecided cry

Bros your blood dey hot faa...... abeg if you can't be patient, maybe you take a stroll to sekshualiti sekshun grin

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by klexycole(m): 10:20am On Jan 17, 2017
maternal:

Welcome to Canada.

Mehn! I'm thrilled! God bless you maternal. Big ups to you sir. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:15am On Jan 17, 2017
maternal:

Welcome to Canada.

Lol @ ajegunle...Am in St John's, NL! You're saying it as it is bro, it appears to me some people just have this conventional default knowledge of the US, UK and the likes without putting into consideration changing times and what is obtainable in those places at present...People need to start spreading their tentacles and update real quick...

Already getting used to the weather though, this is actually my second winter here...Like you said, the weather should be last thing to worry about...Will send you a pm when the time comes to do the proper switching...

As for my guy asking for school with affordable tuition, you can look all these schools up:

UNBC
UNIVIC
SFU
UNIVERSITY OF REGINA
UNIVERSITY OF SASKATCHEWAN
UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA
MUN
UNB
BRANDON UNIVERSITY

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 11:43am On Jan 17, 2017
CFCman:

Not yet. I'm only a student of the law, for now. cool
My guess was accurate. Good! my lord wink
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by falopey: 1:27pm On Jan 17, 2017
ttmacoy:
Not technically correct, you cannot apply for H1 visa, you have to get employed by a company who them applies for a H1 visa for you or it is the employer who applies for you not just you finish studies and apply or land in America and apply.

I personally know someone that came to the state last year. He got his H1 without working for any company. He was a professional in Nigeria iin the medical field. In fact he is just preparing to take the exam to get his license to practice. Maybe there is more to his story. But I'm 100% sure of is that he was not working for any company to get it for him. In fact, he doesn't have the license to practice yet.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ttmacoy: 1:43pm On Jan 17, 2017
There must be more to his story, that is the requiremnets for doctors to file for H1 visa. I am not saying he cannot get a H1 visa as a doctor, he can but he will be getting a H1 visa by an employer/hospital.

You cannot file for a H1 or L1 visa by yourself, it must be sponsored by an employer and there must be a job offer.

Standard H-1B visa requirements apply to Physicians:

•The position must be a specialty occupation. By definition doctors fall within the regulatory definition of a “specialty occupation.”
•The hospital, private practice or public health care institution must pay the doctor the prevailing wage as set forth in the Department of Labor’s (DOL) regulations.
•The employer must file an H-1B petition on behalf of the doctor, and the doctor must work for the petitioning employer pursuant to the terms of the approved H-1B status. The doctor may work part-time for more than one hospital if each hospital petitions the physician. Of course, it should be noted that if the doctor obtained a J1 visa waiver in conjunction with the H-1B petition, part-time employment is likely not an option.
•The employer must file a labor condition application (LCA) with the DOL. The Immigration Attorney will assist the employer in complying with the DOL’s regulatory requirements for filing the LCA.

falopey:

I personally know someone that came to the state last year. He got his H1 without working for any company. He was a professional in Nigeria iin the medical field. In fact he is just preparing to take the exam to get his license to practice. Maybe there is more to his story. But I'm 100% sure of is that he was not working for any company to get it for him. In fact, he doesn't have the license to practice yet.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 2:57pm On Jan 17, 2017
Some company (for example the Hospital the Medical Doctor works for or is applying to) has to apply on your behalf. Can't do it yourself. And you have to have some skills where there is a shortage. For example Medical Dortor, computer programming, etc. BTW, As a Computer professional, I work with tons of H1's from India. At my last contract, I met one Nigerian on H1. I was actually shocked! because it's very rare to see Naija on H1. He was a software developer working with the Indian IT consulting company Infosys, and they were the one that applied for his H1. Even he was complaining that he has to be with them for at least 3 years, and that they were paying him a very low hourly rate. Nothing is easy o. That's the way it rolls...the company that does your H1 holds you ransome till you complete your contract.

PS. I was just discussing this H1 thing with my colleagues last Friday. They were worried that with Trump now about to take over, he has vowed to put a stop to all the H1 visas.

falopey:

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 3:06pm On Jan 17, 2017
Just as Frank said earlier, there are unlimited channels to watch from. Here, the cable we are using is Directv and it has several channels to select from. Theres another one called RokuTV and we can also watch Youtube and Netflix on Tv as well. The Television is connected yo unlimited internet access. There are some other ones i dont even know their names and how they're operated yet undecided

10 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 3:11pm On Jan 17, 2017
Light switches and sockets. Seems this is how the sockets and switches are generally here in US cos its the same thin i see everywhere i go. One good thin i like is the fact that these sockets are everywhere in the house so u can plug in anything anywhere. You can charge ya fones in the bathroom, toilets, kitchen cabinets etc wink

11 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 3:14pm On Jan 17, 2017
I play the playstation 4 whenever i feel like playing games. We got some nice adventure and shooting Game CDs smiley

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.