Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,438 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (91) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (683935 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Perotti: 2:00pm On Jun 14, 2017
@PDPGuy wishing you success in the exams. Please can I Pm you? Wanna find out about US law sch for a pal.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by abduldope(m): 3:24pm On Jun 14, 2017
electronic:

You don't need complex Maths like calculus but you still need some Maths Background. Like Geometry, some trigonometry, etc.
Programming is about logical principles.
Even Frank has a Medical Background and he is already playing with C#.
The real issue is finding the Passion to continue.
thanks
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by pendragon35(m): 5:17pm On Jun 14, 2017
temi4fash:

Nobody is saying you cannot be successful without education.

What it does is it gives an edge, exposure, broadens your horizon, sharpens some of your talents and gift,

toughens you up among other things.

With education you tend to do things better..

You cant compare a successful doing his own thing with education, with another who is not so bro..

Baba education would do you more good than harm.

You are right but this Nigerian type.Is a wild goose chase.

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by PDPGuy: 9:44pm On Jun 14, 2017
Perotti:
wishing you success in the exams. Please can I Pm you? Wanna find out about US law sch for a pal.
Thank you!
Yes, you can send the pm
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by electronic(m): 11:49pm On Jun 14, 2017
guiddoti:
Is integro-Differential not calculus? It depends on what you are coding. For a starter, he/she may start from simple mathematics code. But you will surely need calculus more for iteration than trigonometry. Trigonometry is just straight forward calculation code.
LoL you wan discourage the guy?
He needs some Maths to get busy. If he has such math background he won't be complaining...
He needs a head start and basic Mary is more than enough to get things done. He could actually build hundreds of money spinning apps with little maths knowledge...

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by decode55(m): 12:00pm On Jun 15, 2017
cool just marking attendance
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 12:29pm On Jun 15, 2017
electronic:

He needs some Maths to get busy. If he has such math background he won't be complaining...
He needs a head start and basic Mary is more than enough to get things done. He could actually build hundreds of money spinning apps with little maths knowledge...
I'm not discouraging him, but ODE is the basic for programmer sha.
I understand your point, anyway, thanks.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by vickertony(m): 1:45pm On Jun 15, 2017
pendragon35:

You are right but this Nigerian type.Is a wild goose chase.
i read your comments, Nigeria education is frustrating, still try and graduate bro, atleast migrating would be easier with your undergraduate degree.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 2:47pm On Jun 15, 2017
Programming is all about problem solving. So it goes with Math hand-in-hand. In general, those that are good in math tend to be more successful in programming. It comes natural to them. Not saying if you are not good in math you can't be successful in this field. However, if you really dislike math/problem solving, I believe you will have a hard time being a programmer. Having said that, the math course that's most relevant is 'Discrete Mathematics'. There is no "real" computer science curriculum that will not include this course. I am telling you - those that come into this field primarily for the money because it pays well, and do not have the affinity for problem solving, tend not to be successful doing it. I have worked with plenty of developers and interviewed quite a number of Junior developers, so I can attest to it.

One thing is certain - It pay quite well, and there is not too many of us (blacks) doing it. So if one can face it squarely, it is a good field to go into.

electronic:

16 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by pendragon35(m): 5:32pm On Jun 15, 2017
vickertony:
i read your comments, Nigeria education is frustrating, still try and graduate bro, atleast migrating would be easier with your undergraduate degree.
Tnx bro,but the pattern is just the more you look the less you see.Too many issues on daily basis. nawa oo
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by vickertony(m): 5:39pm On Jun 15, 2017
pendragon35:

Tnx bro,but the pattern is just the more you look the less you see.Too many issues on daily basis. nawa oo
i understand,i was in your condition too, until i finished recently, God bless our Hustle shaa
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by pendragon35(m): 8:15pm On Jun 16, 2017
vickertony:

i understand,i was in your condition too, until i finished recently, God bless our Hustle shaa
Tnx man I pray so.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by vickertony(m): 12:12pm On Jun 17, 2017
@ FrankNetter i read where you said, people over there, don't know much about Africa, that they refer must people from Africa, no matter your country in Africa, they just term you *He is from Africa *

i like to know, don't they learn History over there in High school?Atleast get to know African countries by their names.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by abduldope(m): 3:14pm On Jun 17, 2017
Bossman:
Programming is all about problem solving. So it goes with Math hand-in-hand. In general, those that are good in math tend to be more successful in programming. It comes natural to them. Not saying if you are not good in math you can't be successful in this field. However, if you really dislike math/problem solving, I believe you will have a hard time being a programmer. Having said that, the math course that's most relevant is 'Discrete Mathematics'. There is no "real" computer science curriculum that will not include this course. I am telling you - those that come into this field primarily for the money because it pays well, and do not have the affinity for problem solving, tend not to be successful doing it. I have worked with plenty of developers and interviewed quite a number of Junior developers, so I can attest to it.

One thing is certain - It pay quite well, and there is not too many of us (blacks) doing it. So if one can face it squarely, it is a good field to go into.

bro thanks for your response.
my question for you is what should be the first programming language for a newbie to start with.

thanks
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 7:05pm On Jun 17, 2017
I would suggest an Objected Oriented language such as Java. However any programming language that teaches the fundamentals of Object Oriented programming would do. Once the fundamentals are mastered, switching to another such language is just a matter of learning the syntax, for the most part.

Let's not derail this thread any further. You can post any further questions to the programming forum here. You will get the appropriate responses there. I also pop in there occasionally.

abduldope:
my question for you is what should be the first programming language for a newbie to start with.

thanks

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by abduldope(m): 7:11pm On Jun 17, 2017
Bossman:
I would suggest an Objected Oriented language such as Java. However any programming language that teaches the fundamentals of Object Oriented programming would do. Once the fundamentals are mastered, switching to another such language is just a matter of learning the syntax, for the most part.

Let's not derail this thread any further. You can post any further questions to the programming forum here. You will get the appropriate responses there. I also pop in there occasionally.

thanks would keep in touch with you if you dont mind
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by jiangchu: 4:26am On Jun 18, 2017
Bossman:

bossman im currently learning C++ on my own. what would you suggest for me.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by vickertony(m): 10:11am On Jun 18, 2017
vickertony:
@ FrankNetter i read where you said, people over there, don't know much about Africa, that they refer must people from Africa, no matter your country in Africa, they just term you *He is from Africa *

i like to know, don't they learn History over there in High school?Atleast get to know African countries by their names.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 10:30am On Jun 18, 2017
I tired oooo
Let me come n be going
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 2:46pm On Jun 18, 2017
tescoman90:
I tired oooo
Let me come n be going
wait tesco bi4 you bi going! Una hopun sohop?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jun 18, 2017
guiddoti:
wait tesco bi4 you bi going! Una hopun sohop?
??
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 6:17pm On Jun 19, 2017
Suggest as in what? Learning C++ is equally a good idea. As I said already, the key thing is to make sure you have a very good grasp of the fundamentals of computer programming. Again, any specific question regarding programming can be posted in the programming forum. You will get more answers there.

jiangchu:

bossman im currently learning C++ on my own. what would you suggest for me.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by jiangchu: 7:25pm On Jun 19, 2017
Bossman:
Suggest as in what? Learning C++ is equally a good idea. As I said already, the key thing is to make sure you have a very good grasp of the fundamentals of computer programming. Again, any specific question regarding programming can be posted in the programming forum. You will get more answers there.

thanks
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by cumz(m): 7:56pm On Jun 19, 2017
Anybody in Houston here?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Papiikush: 12:06pm On Jun 22, 2017
FrankNetter:
Morning guys, Happy new month.

I'd like to get feedback. So far, what has caught your interest the most on the thread? Looking forward to your replies smiley
Awesome thread bro, keep up the good job. cheesy
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by therealchase(m): 4:08am On Jun 23, 2017
vickertony:

If i can answer this i would say most people over here are just ignorant. Before the internet came they thought we live on trees and all. Imagine this Chinese guy at my school saying "Can i call you Africa?" and i was like "Can i call you asia?".

Well you can't blame them,you should blame the media they've painted Africa black and ignored valuable information.

The one that makes me mad is when they ask you "can you speak African?" or say "i'd love to travel to Africa" and am like wtf Africa is a continent with 54 countries you need to be more specific.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Seajae: 8:23am On Jun 23, 2017
therealchase:

If i can answer this i would say most people over here are just ignorant. Before the internet came they taught we live on trees and all. Imagine this Chinese guy at my school saying "Can i call you Africa?" and i was like "Can i call you asia?".

Well you can't blame them,you should blame the media they've painted Africa black and ignored valuable information.

The one that makes me mad is when they ask you "can you speak African?" or say "i'd love to travel to Africa" and am like wtf Africa is a continent with 54 countries you need to be more specific.
Start calling him Jackie Chan and see how he likes it. Ignorant people

13 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by skitkid2(m): 10:12am On Jun 23, 2017
therealchase:

If i can answer this i would say most people over here are just ignorant. Before the internet came they taught we live on trees and all. Imagine this Chinese guy at my school saying "Can i call you Africa?" and i was like "Can i call you asia?".

The way you paint it is not the way they mean it.

They are referring to the fact that most African countries are very behind.

I have seen an American make jokes like, "the energy he has can light the whole of Africa".

We are behind and we have to accept it.

That's the way we can move forward.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by salford1: 9:50pm On Jun 23, 2017
abduldope:

thanks

In some high school in developed countries, students can take AutoCad or C++ as options in their curriculum.
Any of the two or both are good for starters.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:58am On Jun 24, 2017
In Chicago, you cannot park your car anyhow. You risk being issued a ticket, or worse still, your car could be towed. On one occasion, I had parked my jalopy and was about entering a building when one old man who was seated on a rocking chair outside the building beckoned me to come. I contemplated ignoring him and going my way, but I decided against it. On approaching him, he told me to go and park well, that the way I parked at the moment could earn me a $150 ticket.

Apparently, you're not supposed to park on the yellow line. That space is reserved for fire trucks in case of emergency (notice the fire hydrant).

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.