Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (92) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (684440 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:59am On Jun 24, 2017
On another occasion, I narrowly missed being issued a ticket. One side of the street was closed down (for parking) so they could sweep it. Lucky me wink

Anywhere you see "photo enforced" just respect yasef grin

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:06am On Jun 24, 2017
FrankNetter:
On another occasion, I narrowly missed being issued a ticket. One side of the street was closed down (for parking) so they could sweep it. Lucky me wink

Anywhere you see "photo enforced" just respect yasef grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:35am On Jun 24, 2017
The problem I'm having right now is time. Like I stated sometime earlier, the photos I take with my phone are too large. So i have to shrink them on my laptop before uploading them. Between my two jobs, I barely have time for myself. I work everyday (even saturdays and Sundays).

Yankee is the true definition of "time na money"

42 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by tomisinobm(m): 2:51am On Jun 24, 2017
FrankNetter:
The problem I'm having right now is time. Like I stated sometime earlier, the photos I take with my phone are too large. So i have to shrink them on my laptop before uploading them. Between my two jobs, I barely have time for myself. I work everyday (even saturdays and Sundays).

Yankee is the true definition of "time na money"

you could try screenshooting the pictures, it shrinks a lot of time that way

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by OluDare01(m): 3:00am On Jun 24, 2017
You should park 15-30 ft from the fire hydrant. Before I went to the DMV, I read the driving license manual from pali to pali cheesy
FrankNetter:
In Chicago, you cannot park your car anyhow. You risk being issued a ticket, or worse still, your car could be towed. On one occasion, I had parked my jalopy and was about entering a building when one old man who was seated on a rocking chair outside the building beckoned me to come. I contemplated ignoring him and going my way, but I decided against it. On approaching him, he told me to go and park well, that the way I parked at the moment could earn me a $150 ticket.

Apparently, you're not supposed to park on the yellow line. That space is reserved for fire trucks in case of emergency (notice the fire hydrant).
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 3:26am On Jun 24, 2017
tomisinobm:

you could try screenshooting the pictures, it shrinks a lot of time that way

Yeah, these ones I uploaded now were screenshotted. Notice the low quality?

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:13am On Jun 24, 2017
FrankNetter:

Yeah, these ones I uploaded now were screenshotted. Notice the low quality?

dis one no low for my eye oooo

its ok grin grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by cedar3: 9:38am On Jun 24, 2017
I don't know what am still doing in this country. Anytime you post an update, all I see is an organized and working system. It's torturing me, I want to go 'home'!

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by cedar3: 9:41am On Jun 24, 2017
tescoman90:

its ok grin grin
As in ehh! The quality no low anything!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by cedar3: 9:41am On Jun 24, 2017
tescoman90:

its ok grin grin
As in ehh! The quality no low anything!

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by PDPGuy: 4:28pm On Jun 24, 2017
FrankNetter:
In Chicago, you cannot park your car anyhow. You risk being issued a ticket, or worse still, your car could be towed. On one occasion, I had parked my jalopy and was about entering a building when one old man who was seated on a rocking chair outside the building beckoned me to come. I contemplated ignoring him and going my way, but I decided against it. On approaching him, he told me to go and park well, that the way I parked at the moment could earn me a $150 ticket.

Apparently, you're not supposed to park on the yellow line. That space is reserved for fire trucks in case of emergency (notice the fire hydrant).

Yes, one risks a vehicle being towed if you park in a wrong spot. But, here in CA, the fire hydrant parking spot is painted red, and only fire-fighting or other first-responder vehicles can park at that spot.

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by therealchase(m): 7:56pm On Jun 24, 2017
skitkid2:

The way you paint it is not the way they mean it.

They are referring to the fact that most African countries are very behind.

I have seen an American make jokes like, "the energy he has can light the whole of Africa".

We are behind and we have to accept it.

That's the way we can move forward.

Did you just quote my post without reading? Did any line in my post say Africa is heaven? Does the fact that Africa is behind have to do with people being ignorant ? Get what am saying don't just come up an avenue for unnecessary argument.

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by skitkid2(m): 10:14pm On Jun 24, 2017
therealchase:

Did you just quote my post without reading? Did any line in my post say Africa is heaven? Does the fact that Africa is behind have to do with people being ignorant ? Get what am saying don't just come up an avenue for unnecessary argument.

I read your post and I am just trying to let you know what is.

They know we don't live on trees and they know Africa is a continent.

Just like some Nigerians when they are going to Germany or Italy, they will say they are going to Europe.

That doesn't mean they don't know Europe is a continent.

They are not ignorant, they just want to let you know that Africa is behind in so many ways.

That's why they ask you silly questions.

The guy asking you can he call you Africa, is probably a racist nobody is that dumb.

So, my point is they are not ignorant. They are trying to tell you something in a twisted way cool

You're the ignorant one for not seeing my point and their own.

13 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by therealchase(m): 5:14am On Jun 25, 2017
skitkid2:

I read your post and I am just trying to let you know what is.

They know we don't live on trees and they know Africa is a continent.

Just like some Nigerians when they are going to Germany or Italy, they will say they are going to Europe.

That doesn't mean they don't know Europe is a continent.

They are not ignorant, they just want to let you know that Africa is behind in so many ways.

That's why they ask you silly questions.

The guy asking you can he call you Africa, is probably a racist nobody is that dumb.

So, my point is they are not ignorant. They are trying to tell you something in a twisted way cool

You're the ignorant one for not seeing my point and their own.

I shouldn't reply this but why is it that people just like to complicate life?
Concerning Nigerians saying they are going to Europe whose fault is that? not like they were not taught at school besides a Nigerian wouldn't ask "Can you speak European?" Am talking about people being ignorant you bringing racism into it. This has nothing to with being black or white, but lack of knowledge or information. Just so you know the guy who asked is from china we are a bit close now and in his words "i was being ignorant at first" and i said "ikr" and for the Jamaican girl who asked if i can speak African .I showed her a map of Africa and explained a few things and she accepted. In her words "i'd love to go to Nigeria or possibly visit major countries in Africa to get to know more about the culture, i admire it".
It's now left to you to decide who is being ignorant here.

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by skitkid2(m): 8:26am On Jun 25, 2017
therealchase:

I shouldn't reply this but why is it that people just like to complicate life?
Concerning Nigerians saying they are going to Europe whose fault is that? not like they were not taught at school besides a Nigerian wouldn't ask "Can you speak European?" Am talking about people being ignorant you bringing racism into it. This has nothing to with being black or white, but lack of knowledge or information. Just so you know the guy who asked is from china we are a bit close now and in his words "i was being ignorant at first" and i said "ikr" and for the Jamaican girl who asked if i can speak African .I showed her a map of Africa and explained a few things and she accepted. In her words "i'd love to go to Nigeria or possibly visit major countries in Africa to get to know more about the culture, i admire it".
It's now left to you to decide who is being ignorant here.
So the Jamaican didn't know Nigeria is in Africa till you showed her right?

Oh sorry, she knows Africa is a continent but thought African is our language, she could as well think European is the language of the people in Europe

Maybe I was over thinking the whole thing.

Cool

I'm out smiley

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by therealchase(m): 6:30pm On Jun 25, 2017
skitkid2:

Oh sorry, she knows Africa is a continent but thought African is our language, she could as well think European is the language of the people in Europe

Cool

I'm out smiley

You just trying to complicate this. If she knew Nigeria was in Africa or Africa was a continent she would she have made that blunder? You don't get it they see Africa as a continent not a country,which is because of lack of information. When you encounter such you'd understand.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by PDPGuy: 5:31pm On Jun 26, 2017
The U.S. Supreme Court has ordered Arkansas to permit the printing of the names of same-sex couples on the birth certificates of their kids.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 12:52am On Jun 27, 2017
skitkid2:

Cool

I'm out smiley
Baba accept weytin d guy dey talk na.. U were not there so whatever he says, thats what it is.. make the case die abeg
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:57am On Jun 27, 2017
Are you ready for pictures? grin

15 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by joltautos: 1:58am On Jun 27, 2017
Yes oooh

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:11am On Jun 27, 2017
CHICAGO

So, I posted sometime ago that I got a new client via my caregiving agency. The man and his family are very nice, all shades of nice, honestly. The celebration of USA's independence is coming up pretty soon, These people do not joke with the celebration. So he decided to book a trip for his family (himself, wife and 8year old son) at a resort or so. He asked if I wanted to come with them, I declined and thanked him.

Some days back, he asked if I could help convey him to the hospital on the 26th, that he has an appointment with the doctor and his wife would not be able to take him as she would be at work. I gave it thought and accepted, highest na fuel I go burn. On Sunday (25th) he called to remind me about the trip to the hospital and to inform me that the appointment time was changed from 12:00 pm to 9:00 am, so in order for me to get to his house on time, I would have to leave mine earlier. I grumbled inwardly and accepted.

Made it to his house on time, did some chores (which I normally do) then we entered my vehicle and headed to the hospital.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:12am On Jun 27, 2017

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:13am On Jun 27, 2017

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:14am On Jun 27, 2017
bn

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:15am On Jun 27, 2017
ygfv

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:18am On Jun 27, 2017
We drove past "under bridge". Notice the homeless people?

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:19am On Jun 27, 2017
Continued driving....

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:23am On Jun 27, 2017
The sights that greeted me when we got to downtown Chicago was like something straight out of a movie. Lots of tall buildings, beautiful architecture, obvious police presence, orderly and organized environment, it took conscious effort for me not to open my mouth in awe.

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:28am On Jun 27, 2017
Got to the hospital (name withheld for obvious reasons) after checking in at the security desk downstairs (coupled with full "airport standard" checks), we were given name tags and told to proceed. We took the elevator to the 30th floor where he was scheduled for his checkup. I was not required to accompany him to the checkup room, so I went down to their cafe to chill.

10 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:31am On Jun 27, 2017
I chose a spot by the window from where I got a wonderful view of the world below. Shun, yankee fine.

Some construction work was going on,

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:32am On Jun 27, 2017
kdghh

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:33am On Jun 27, 2017
I had to pee, located their toilet, automatic everything...

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.