Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,383 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:56 AM

Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land (2088 Views)

Don’t Let Anyone Distract You From Igbo Presidency 2023- Northerner Warns Igbos / FG Makes N909 Billion From VAT in 2017 / Governors Approve Withdrawal Of $1 Billion From ECA To Fight Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by mauriceju2(m): 6:18pm On Dec 05, 2016
Police rakes in N9.1 billion from Southeast road blocks
By News Express on 05/12/2016

Officers and men of the Nigeria Police Force have in the past 14 months (October 2015 - December 2016) “criminally pocketed not less than N9.13 billion from roadblock extortion in their various roadblocks in the Southeast zone,” rights activists from the zone claimed on Monday morning.

The claim was part of a detailed statement opposing the deployment of troops to the Southeast in an exercise the Military High Command tagged “Operation Python Dance”.
The statement was issued in Onitsha by the International Society for Civil Liberties and the Rule of Law (Intersociety) in collaboration with the Southeast Based Coalition of Human Rights Organizations (SBCHROs), an umbrella body of 10 social rights groups.

According to the statement, a recent update by Intersociety “on road crimes committed by police and military personnel (i.e. army and navy) clearly showed that there are not less than 200 military roadblocks and 1,000 police roadblocks on Southeast Roads as at 4th of December 2016; (27) that in those roadblocks, various forms of extortion are applied to rob the motorists and other road users at official gunpoint.”

The statement claimed that “while soldiers and navy use structured form of extortion (i.e. hiring of civilians or garage touts to forcefully collect tolls on their behalf), the police use open method or direct extortion at gunpoint. The choice of Southeast Roads is because of its blue-collar nature or high commercial and cash transactions.”

Continuing, the statement said: “Our updated checks as at today show that there are not less than 250 police roadblocks on Anambra’s Federal and State Roads as well as its city roads and that each police roadblock extorts minimum of N50 note and average of N100 note from each commercial motorist; translating to at least N30,000 for each police roadblock per day; N7.5 million daily from not less than 250 police roadblocks; N225 million monthly and N2.7 billion per year; that the same facts and circumstances are applicable to Abia State; another major blue-collar state after Anambra State; with its 250 police roadblocks criminally pocketing N2.7 billion per year; that Imo State; a lesser blue-collar state, has at least 200 police roadblocks to its name; with each police roadblock pocketing not less than N15,000 daily; N3 million for its 200 police roadblocks per day, N90 million per month and N1.08 billion per annum.

“That Enugu and Ebonyi states with relatively white-collar or civil service sub culture, have at least 300 police roadblocks to their names on average of 150 each; and each of the police roadblock criminally pockets at least N15,000 per day and N4.5 million for the 300 police roadblocks per day; N135 million per month and N1.62 billion per year; on average of N810 million for each of the two states; that in all, the police personnel at over 1,000 police roadblocks mounted on Southeast Roads have between January 2016 and December 2016 criminally collected and pocketed from Southeast commercial road users a total of N8.1 billion; with Anambra State accounting for N2.7 billion; Abia State N2.7 billion; Imo State N1.08 billion; Enugu State N810 million; and Ebonyi State N810 million; (37) that added to N1.03 billion criminally collected and pocketed between 21st October and 21st December 2015 by not less than 750 police roadblocks then on Southeast Roads; the total roadblock theft by the Nigeria Police Force in the past 14 months from Southeast Roads is N9.13 billion.”

•Photo by Intersociety shows a policeman extorting money from a commercial bus conductor in Onitsha, Anambra State.

Source News Express
http://newsexpressngr.com/news/31602
Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by recievesense: 6:20pm On Dec 05, 2016
choi see income
Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by freeze001(f): 6:22pm On Dec 05, 2016
This is madness! Can our governors and NASS reps get busy and see to d immediate dismantling of these illegal checkpoints! What crime has one committed to be Igbo in Nigeria? They keep subjecting us to inhumane treatments yet when we insist on parting ways since they cannot explain our offence, they tag us terrorists or claim we are playing d victim card...how do u justify this level of wickedness? Is this the insecurity that is being checked?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by Mologi(m): 6:23pm On Dec 05, 2016
police is ur friend.
Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by swazpedro(m): 6:27pm On Dec 05, 2016
I see dem in the east all d time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by mauriceju2(m): 6:34pm On Dec 05, 2016
Something that cannot be done in many states in the North

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by marshalcarter: 6:44pm On Dec 05, 2016
and the money isn't used for sumtin useful....thieves after polithievians
Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by dexentity: 6:52pm On Dec 05, 2016
No be small cash flow, Police officers and Military men will be hustling to be posted to the east, especially around this Yuletide period.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by nwaanambra1(m): 7:58pm On Dec 05, 2016
Now i understand why the army estblished operation snake dance!

they wan collect their share of the money from the igbos!

they should pls collect only money and leave our livesooo!! angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by Rucheen(m): 8:28pm On Dec 05, 2016
Nigerian pastors and police have something in common.
1 Yes you're a fraudster/thief/ritualist "pay your tithe"
2 yes you carry human head/bress/Chest inside boot "wey your pay pass"
crazy people.
Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by Pavore9: 8:32pm On Dec 05, 2016
N9.1bn! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by mightyhazell: 8:35pm On Dec 05, 2016
During my service year in kano state (northern nigeria) in 2003, I don't remember seeing a police check point,how much more a roadblock. I marvelled how I could travel all the way from kaduna to kano city (almost 5hours) with little or no roadblocks on the road.... A very sharp contrast to wot was obtainable in south eastern nigeria. From the bridgehead at onitsha 2 ma hometown in imo state (less dan 90mins drive) I encounter nuffn less dan 30 police and army chekpoints. Most times ur forced 2 drop sth,even tho ur vehicle and particulars hav been thoroughly checked n not found wanting. V annoying and quite puzzling.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by orimsamsam(m): 8:44pm On Dec 05, 2016
freeze001:
This is madness! Can our governors and NASS reps get busy and see to d immediate dismantling of these illegal checkpoints! [b]What crime has one committed to be Igbo in Nigeria?[/b]They keep subjecting us to inhumane treatments yet when we insist on parting ways since they cannot explain our offence, they tag us terrorists or claim we are playing d victim card...how do u justify this level of wickedness? Is this the insecurity that is being checked?
why are u always emotional about everything. Wht this victim mentality all about.

There are illegal check point in the east so also we have them here in the west. I school in akure and whenever am traveling from Ibadan to akure I always come across nothing less than 11 illegal police checkpoint, and our driver is always force to part away with his money at each checkpoint.

Illegal Checkpoints are not only in the east they are everywhere and government must do something about it
Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by PDJT: 8:49pm On Dec 05, 2016
It is shocking that in this day and age, that the police and indeed the military of a suppose country is allowed to perpetuate this sort of ridiculous coward behaviour and literally get away with it. Cavemen everywhere!

Now who said, Nigeria isn't a Zoo? The joke is on you!

Tüfįakwa Obodo nwürü awü!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by PDJT: 8:56pm On Dec 05, 2016
[s]
orimsamsam:
why are u always emotional about everything. Wht this victim mentality all about.

There are illegal check point in the east so also we have them here in the west. I school in akure and whenever am traveling from Ibadan to akure I always come across nothing less than 11 illegal police checkpoint, and our driver is always force to part away with his money at each checkpoint.

Illegal Checkpoints are not only in the east they are everywhere and government must do something about it
[/s]

There isn't any "victim mentality" about his submission. Because it's acceptable in your culture, doesn't make it acceptable in ours. This coward behaviour & harassment of our people needs to cease!

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by orimsamsam(m): 9:00pm On Dec 05, 2016
PDJT:
[s][/s]

There isn't any "victim mentality" about his submission. Because it's acceptable in your culture, doesn't make it acceptable in ours. This coward behaviour & harassment of our people needs to cease!
Wht am saying is that the extortion is everywhere and it should stop.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by Moreoffaith(m): 9:03pm On Dec 05, 2016
How dem take calculate am? How do you arrive at that figure? Maybe theyvissue fake receipt, wetin concern me self abi I don't forget say na the same work police and thief dey do no.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by ElsonMorali: 9:04pm On Dec 05, 2016
freeze001:
This is madness! Can our governors and NASS reps get busy and see to d immediate dismantling of these illegal checkpoints! What crime has one committed to be Igbo in Nigeria? They keep subjecting us to inhumane treatments yet when we insist on parting ways since they cannot explain our offence, they tag us terrorists or claim we are playing d victim card...how do u justify this level of wickedness? Is this the insecurity that is being checked?

Are you OK or are you rehearsing for a special performance of your persecution complex to the world?

Who are the policemen extorting you? Aren't they Igbos?

Who is subjecting you to inhumane treatment?

You are a funny human being walahi.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by ElsonMorali: 9:08pm On Dec 05, 2016
PDJT:
[s][/s]

Harrasment of your people? Who are those doing the harassing? Aren't they Igbo police recruits?

It's plain victim mentality, persecution complex.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by Leopardd(m): 9:11pm On Dec 05, 2016
They are everywhere in Biafraland, I just don't understand, especially in Abia state, every 1km of PH-Enugu expressway in Abia state u must see a checkpoint, and u must part with N50 or N100 based on which of them u meet, inside interior villages, they are everywhere in Aba.

This is so crazy, some months back, Keke drivers had to protest against police extortion in Abia state.

Why are we under military and para military occupation?

Army, Navy and police everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by PDJT: 9:13pm On Dec 05, 2016
[s]
ElsonMorali:

Harrasment of your people? Who are those doing the harassing? Aren't they Igbo police recruits?

It's plain victim mentality, persecution complex.
[/s]

The root problem you lots have, is low expectation from life.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by ElsonMorali: 9:17pm On Dec 05, 2016
PDJT:
[s][/s]

The root problem you lots have, is low expectation from life.

Why do I even bother sef. Persecution complex is in your genes. It's a part of your genetic make up so you won't understand what's wrong with the statement we're trying to correct.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by PDJT: 9:20pm On Dec 05, 2016
[s]
ElsonMorali:

Why do I even bother sef. Persecution complex is in your genes. It's a part of your genetic make up so you won't understand what's wrong with the statement we're trying to correct.
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by Blue3k(m): 9:28pm On Dec 05, 2016
This why goods are so expensive and rake so long with Nigeria. Every half mile pay bribe to police so they don't waste time. Our state local and federal leaders won't tell police to knock it off.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by freeze001(f): 10:24pm On Dec 05, 2016
ElsonMorali:

Are you OK or are you rehearsing for a special performance of your persecution complex to the world?

Who are the policemen extorting you? Aren't they Igbos?

Who is subjecting you to inhumane treatment?

You are a funny human being walahi.

U must be completely silly to say the policemen and military men raiding Easterners are Igbo. Do we now have state police that FG will recruit police and post them to their states and regions? Travel and see and stop being an ignorant lout typing from one rotten enclave.

Leopardd:
They are everywhere in Biafraland, I just don't understand, especially in Abia state, every 1km of PH-Enugu expressway in Abia state u must see a checkpoint, and u must part with N50 or N100 based on which of them u meet, inside interior villages, they are everywhere in Aba.
This is so crazy, some months back, Keke drivers had to protest against police extortion in Abia state.
Why are we under military and para military occupation?
Army, Navy and police everywhere.

mightyhazell:
During my service year in kano state (northern nigeria) in 2003, I don't remember seeing a police check point,how much more a roadblock. I marvelled how I could travel all the way from kaduna to kano city (almost 5hours) with little or no roadblocks on the road.... A very sharp contrast to wot was obtainable in south eastern nigeria. From the bridgehead at onitsha 2 ma hometown in imo state (less dan 90mins drive) I encounter nuffn less dan 30 police and army chekpoints. Most times ur forced 2 drop sth,even tho ur vehicle and particulars hav been thoroughly checked n not found wanting. V annoying and quite puzzling.

Read these 2 posts and digest them. These accounts are not formulated, they are factual occurrences. It is worst in the East and it's deliberate. The police lobby and pay bribes to be posted to the East for this purpose because they have perfected their criminal racket. Now d Army has joined with their python bullshït, causing even more stress and traffic on the Niger bridge. Hav u heard of any lobbying to come to Yoruba land?

You deliberately cultivate vile ignorance and then go ahead to throw ur ignorant words around. Like I said, travel and see for urself especially during the festive season when many Igbos return from far and wide to celebrate with their kith n kin or just shut the hell up!

orimsamsam:

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 05, 2016
Nigeria, a failed state.... A time bomb waiting to explode.....
Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by ChimaAdeoye: 10:45pm On Dec 05, 2016
Buhari and his cohorts will be very happy.

Please take the money from inyamiri grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 05, 2016
You mean Dem dey issue receipt for road block?
Abi how Dem take arrive at that figure?
Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by mayorchelsea(m): 11:15pm On Dec 05, 2016
If you talk now,they'll say one is an afonja.Is this peculiar to the East only?Is the Police or Army remitting this 'cursed money' into national treasury?You people make it look like the government often deploy police officers to the East for this purpose only where as it happens everywhere.This is bad and we should all collectively condemn it irrespective of tribe or region.The Police have killed more people through accidental discharge in the West than any other region and no one has played 'victim game' with it.
Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by monsterlobster: 8:08am On Dec 06, 2016
M
Re: Nigerian Police Make 9.1 Billion From Igbo Land by pacino26(m): 9:06am On Dec 06, 2016
Tue last week I had the FSARS asking my friend who was driving for the lab result in line Edith his biometric tinted permit. I couldn't just understand, at a point I told the elderly man with them that in the event of producing the lab result it will be difficult for them to understand what was scribbled there. In the end it was #1000 even when it was obvious the guy uses glasses.

One Inspr James Chi held my driver and truck to ransom around Nsukka road before Egede, crime was that he's driving with an expired photocopied temporal drivers' license. I refused to pay a dime so he kept us there for 4hrs.

It's that bad. If you dare try to show them the evil in their ways by citing your rights you go hear; SO YOU WANT TO TEACH ME MY JOB.

Officers from Nike Lake Police station are now tally clerks. They give number to keke operators whether you like it or not you must pay #50 by T-junction

(1) (2) (Reply)

Northern Leaders Advise Buhari To Quit / More Nigerians Visit President Buhari In Abuja House, London (Photos) / Buhari Made History Southerner Became Chief Justice After 30 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.