Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,154 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune (3509 Views)

Fortune Magazine Names Toyota Number 1 Motor Vehicle Company / 6 Most Common Driving Habits That May Cause You An Accident / Just That Oil Leak In The Port Could Cause You Some Bucks. A P0302 CODE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by TRYGO(m): 1:09am On Dec 06, 2016
INTRODUCTION
I know most of you guys on this platform might be wondering what does "this" actually mean?
Well, in this article, THIS refers to auto catalytic converters.

CATALYTIC CONVERTERS AND HOW THEY WORK
Catalytic converters are emissions control components incorporated in to a car's exhaust system, with the purpose of ensuring that harmful gases produced from the combustion of fuel(petrol), from internal combustion engine applications, especially petrol engines, are converted into more less harmful ones, before they're safely released in to the atmosphere. Without this technology, the negative human and environmental impacts would have be exponential in scope.
Gases such as carbon dioxide, nitrogen dioxides, hydrocarbons, are some of the pollutants catalytic converters are supposed to take care of.

STRUCTURE OF THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER
The catalytic converter takes the shape of the catalyst enclosed in it.
The main agent that does the chemical conversions, are the CATALYSTS, and not the
CATALYTIC CONVERTER itself.

COMPOSITION OF CATALYTIC CONVERTER
A catalytic converter has a catalyst in it's internal structure.
The internal structure is made of transition metals, with temperatures ranging from 2500-300°C, and a rare metal, that does not react with agents of corrosion. And it's because of thus properties that these transition metals have that they're highly in demand by companies manufacturing jewelries, wristwatches, etc.

Some of the transition metals used for auto catalysts are
*platinum
*palladium
*iridium
*rhodium
*and a host of others

ENEMY OF CATALYTIC CONVERTERS
The catalyst in catalytic converters are susceptible to overheating, generated as a result if engine misfires.
These misfires could be caused by any of the following:
*fouled spark plugs
*faulty ignition coils
*failing fuel system components
engine compression problems
This is what happens, when excessive rich fuel mixture us dumped into the exhaust system, either negatives caused by any of the above mentioned causes.
Since petrol has got some percentage contents of sulphur in it, when a rich mixture of fuel gets into the system, it's always difficult for the catalytic converter to be able to convert this rich mixture into a less harmful one for easy venting to the atmosphere. This is because the catalytic converter works in liaison with the oxygen sensors and the car's computer system(ECU) to control the rate of conversion going on. Any distortion in the set ref operating temperature, would ha e effect on the catalyst.

SYMPTOMS OF A FAILED(FAILING) CATALYST
1. Check engine light suddenly appears. When a catalytic converter is not working efficiently, you'll definitely going to get a trouble code, P0420. In some cases, thus code may not appear on the dash of your car. The preceding symptoms would help you identify if its the catalyst that's at fault.

2. Loss of power. You realize when you step on the throttle pedal, you just don't get a corresponding throttle response when you're driving.
Its somewhat difficult for the car to even ascend a hill.
This loss of power issue should be differentiated from other faults with loss of power issues. For instance, fuel system related problems display similar symptoms also.

3. Limited RPM. Depending on the car, and brand type, some manufacturers keep their RPM limited to between 1.5-2rpm, in order to protect the engine from damage.
If you rev the engine, and it stays at between 1.5-2, your catalyst might have disintegrated and clogged the exhaust system.

4. Lack of back pressure. Because of a clogged catalytic converter, the pressure of the exhaust exit stream is drastically reduced.
The inability of the exhaust system to vent out such volume of converted gases to the environment, would risk damaging the engine.

5. Rotten egg smell. The dumping of raw fuel into the catalytic converter as a result of engine misfires, slows down the conversion process. The smell you tend to perceive, comes from the sulphur content found in the fuel.

6. Rattling noises. Catalysts that have near their end, would disintegrate inside the catalytic converter, and clog the exhaust system, thereby reducing exhaust back pressure.
Some times, the noise is somewhat similar to the subtle noise of a gradually knocked engine.
Take such noises seriously when you observe any.

7. Engine fails to start. We've seen cases where the engine of a car had refused to start.
Fuel, ignition, and even engine related parts have being replaced, without any results.
So the next time you experience a no start situation, start your troubleshooting from the least to the difficult options.

8. Temperature rises. The temperature gauge of the car rises very fast, as the car moves.
The humidity of the interiors of the car, suddenly increases past the 1/2 mark.
You could feel the engine being forced to do more work, than it could bear. That's the simple reason the temperature rises beyond that level.

CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING WHEN BUYING A CATALYTIC CONVERTER
First and foremost, identify the type and model of your car, before buying a catalytic converter.
New converters would give more value for more, and has got the benefit of a warranty on it.
Used converters have got benefits also, but you've got to ensure that you do the following before buying one:

*check the converter for sounds of rattling in it. This you can detect by shaking the catalytic converter, and listening for noises.
*point a touch light through the one of the catalytic converter openings, and check for passage of the same rays of light, at the other end of the catalyst. If you can't see through the catalytic converter, that converter is clogged, and should not be used.

WHY SOME PEOPLE STEAL CONVERTERS?
Converters have got catalyst made of rare earth metals, which are in high demand by different manufacturing companies.
Lots of companies have got representatives in the solid waste scrape business, where they collect those catalyst from converters, and convert them for use in jewelry, and wristwatch manufacturing.
Because of this reason, some unscrupulous mechanics, and(or) panel beaters have turned the theft if catalytic converters as a second revenue stream.

HOW TO KNOW YOUR CAR'S CONVERTER HAS BEING STOLEN
*You'll get to know the catalytic converter if your car has being tempered with, when suddenly when the car's started, the exhaust sound changes to a "buuuuuuuuuu" noise.

*If you're mechanically inclined, checking the catalytic converter for signs of oxyacetylene flame welding should point to you something fishy has being done on the system.

CONCLUSION
Catalytic converters are critical emission control system incorporated in a car's exhaust system as part of measures to curb the negative impacts of emissions on humans, and the environment.
Distortions in it's internal structure, could lead to major engine failure, with an attendant financial hole in your finances.

CASE STUDY

Ford Explorer 2004
8Cylinder inline engine
Automatic transmission
Car located at Ogbaku, in Imo state, Nigeria

CUSTOMER'S COMPLAINT

*car does not ascend hills,
*fuel pump replaced by a mechanic without any improvement
*some noises coming from the engine
*car is at Ogbaku, in Imo state.
*wants the vehicle fixed and driven back to Lagos

THE FIX. WHAT WE DID

*traveled to the East to asses the c the car, and further confirm what the customer's complaints were.
*troubleshooting of the car was done by physical checks of the various exhaust related components, and a test drive carried out.
Discovered the car can't ascend a hill; low exhaust back pressure; and rattling noises from underneath the engine/exhaust area.
*drove car to a workshop, and requested the panel beater to remove the exhaust system in segments so we could identify the suspect component.
Exhaust tailpipe and mufflers were removed, and inspected for blockages. They were all through.
*asked the panel beater to rip through the catalytic converters with his oxyacetylene flame, in order to see the state if the catalysts.
To our surprise, only one of the catalytic converters was clogged, and the other catalytic converter has got no catalyst even in it.
*removed all the disintegrated catalysts, and stacked mesh wires in its place. This was done temporarily to reduce the "buuuuuuu" noise, and to enable us drive the car to Lagos.
Drove the car to Lagos; handed it over to the owner, and engine got knocked some weeks after.
*plans are on the way to replace the engine, as at the time this article was being conceived.

A stitch in time saves 10(my own saying please).

Regards,
Joseph
oigonojoseph@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:24am On Dec 06, 2016
by western world understand a catalyst converter is never repaired but replace with a new one or used one which is still able to trap the dangerous gases

your repair is a rip off!!!based on that picture that you showed us saying "ready to be inserted" advantage to you is that no one or any government law that test the emission coming out of the exhaust

whereas here UK a catalyst converter should be able to trap those gases therefore a car is tested by a computer to check if the cat is doing its job

am sure you have heard of the VW scandal of emission the car's software manages to cheat government levels of emission control "your inserts are just rubbish into cat box" though i agree that here and there you would definately help to unblock a blocked cat, which most of the time affect engines rev

so in terms of emission control your insert are just junk into the car but in terms of unblocking yes the car would get its revs back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF85JLuJNaM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6dIsC_eGBI

so in general african countries are still to enforce emission testing on cars, have ever wonder why on average on your rarely see a smoking car in the western world ? its the strictness of the government laws and the enforcing laws dont to allow any car that fails emission test

1 Like

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by TRYGO(m): 6:08am On Dec 06, 2016
Dear Mr Zimdrill. I would suggest you learn to read through stuffs carefully. Don't draw conclusions on pictures alone. That's not gonna help, I bet you.
Saying "us" in your criticism, doesn't hold water. You could speak for yourself, so I can respond to your concerns appropriately.
That repair, was a temporal one Oga. If you had spent the time studying this write up, you'll discover that at the tail end of the article, I said this temporal fix does not take the place of replacing the degraded catalytic converter with a new or a used one.
The wire mesh we used in the pictures you saw(as insert) was just to suppress the noise coming from the exhaust system, as a result of absence of the catalyst; and that was why I did advise also that anyone who's done similar fix before hoping to get same results as a catalytic converter, is just wasting waiting.
The "insert" ....you saw on that picture wasn't the main catalyst inserted in the catalytic converters. Let me reiterate here again, sir. WIRE MESHES is what's in the catalytic converters as a TEMPORAL FIX.
WIRE MESHES ain't got same properties of the transition metals used in auto catalyst. Those wire meshes just going to rust in the exhaust system, and cause more problems.
Remember, platinum, and the others, do not react with corrosion causing agents, and that's why they're employed as catalyst.
The catalytic converter, mind you has being replaced with a used one.

About the VW emissions saga some months ago, I was totally taken a foot, when that news came to the fore. In that saga, VW designed a software in its vehicles that deceived emissions abatement officials during test to believe that even though their cars were failing the test, they actually were passing it because of the cheat software.

Emmmm, you could disagree with the writeup na.
Read through the writeup in its entirety before coming to such conclusions, or better still, highlight part of the write up you aren't clear about. Maybe both of us can reduce the ambiguity.

PS: This car for God sake Zimdrill broke down in the East, and I was saddled with the responsibility of rescuing and bringing it back to Lagos.
So, in that scope of work, are you saying I should have just drove the car straight down to Lagos, with the terrible noise, making me become an agent of noise pollution? No na Oga!!
It would behoove you to note that that catalytic converter costs 120k to buy.

I studied environmental engineering in the university, and I do understand how such emissions control systems work! I wouldn't assume the " insert" to be a final fix.
CAN'T YOU SEE WHAT I'M SAYING(FEELING) ZIMDRILL!!!!!??
Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by Readonee35L(m): 8:27am On Dec 06, 2016
My Trygo
I think you're the one who Knocked that Cars engine and you should be arrested .
You're no different than the other kazzemms on the street. Putting heater net like they call it in the engine.
Most of does things you put was sucked in the engine and it went kaboom and knocked .
Its all your fault .
An engine will never knock because of absence of catalyst. You should have left it empty after removing the broken catalyst particles in it , till the owner has money to buy a new catalytic converter .
Cc Gazzuzz diportivo kingreign e.t.c
If I'm wrong abeg correct me angry

4 Likes

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by kingreign(m): 8:58am On Dec 06, 2016
TRYGO:

CASE STUDY

Ford Explorer 2004
8Cylinder inline engine
Automatic transmission
Car located at Ogbaku, in Imo state, Nigeria

CUSTOMER'S COMPLAINT

*car does not ascend hills,
*fuel pump replaced by a mechanic without any improvement
*some noises coming from the engine
*car is at Ogbaku, in Imo state.
*wants the vehicle fixed and driven back to Lagos

THE FIX. WHAT WE DID

*traveled to the East to asses the c the car, and further confirm what the customer's complaints were.
*troubleshooting of the car was done by physical checks of the various exhaust related components, and a test drive carried out.
Discovered the car can't ascend a hill; low exhaust back pressure; and rattling noises from underneath the engine/exhaust area.
*drove car to a workshop, and requested the panel beater to remove the exhaust system in segments so we could identify the suspect component.
Exhaust tailpipe and mufflers were removed, and inspected for blockages. They were all through.
*asked the panel beater to rip through the catalytic converters with his oxyacetylene flame, in order to see the state if the catalysts.
To our surprise, only one of the catalytic converters was clogged, and the other catalytic converter has got no catalyst even in it.
*removed all the disintegrated catalysts, [color=#006600]and stacked mesh wires in its place.[color] This was done temporarily to reduce the "buuuuuuu" noise, and to enable us drive the car to Lagos.
Drove the car to Lagos; handed it over to the owner, and engine got knocked some weeks after.
*plans are on the way to replace the engine, as at the time this article was being conceived.

Regards,
Joseph
oigonojoseph@yahoo.com

1. NO recent ford vehicle Use i8 engine. Infact, NO car that I know of makes use of such.
2. NO sane mechanic would try stash wire mesh into exhaust systems of their client's car.
angry angry
If the owner can't or isnt willing to buy another Cat, his car should be returned back. Haba this isn't nice na.

3 Likes

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by kingreign(m): 9:02am On Dec 06, 2016
Readonee35L:
My Trygo
I think you're the one who Knocked that Cars engine and you should be arrested .
You're no different than the other kazzemms on the street. Putting heater net like they call it in the engine.
Most of does things you put was sucked in the engine and it went kaboom and knocked .
Its all your fault .
An engine will never knock because of absence of catalyst. You should have left it empty after removing the broken catalyst particles in it , till the owner has money to buy a new catalytic converter .
Cc Gazzuzz diportivo kingreign e.t.c
If I'm wrong abeg correct me angry

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by diportivo: 9:22am On Dec 06, 2016
Things dey happen oh shocked

Why is it important to suppress the noise in the first instance

And dat engine cost die!! cry

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:48am On Dec 06, 2016
TRYGO:

THE FIX. WHAT WE DID

*removed all the disintegrated catalysts, and stacked mesh wires in its place. This was done temporarily to reduce the "buuuuuuu" noise, and to enable us drive the car to Lagos.

Regards,
Joseph
oigonojoseph@yahoo.com

RIP engine, you should not be allowed to drive a modern car, not to talk of fixing 1.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by Kjnwancaro: 10:01am On Dec 06, 2016
lipsrsealed

My question is with his last statement.

TRYGO your stitch couldn't save Nile, it took the problem right into the Atlantic.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by TRYGO(m): 10:10am On Dec 06, 2016
@knj. Which are you referring to na? Didn't get you. Could you pls explain?
Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by TRYGO(m): 10:12am On Dec 06, 2016
@gazzuzz. You de funny o! Could you explain why I shouldn't drive such cars, or even fix them?
Maybe because you thought the mesh wires for a temporal fix to the noise suppression was a permanent solution?
Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:27am On Dec 06, 2016
TRYGO:
@gazzuzz. You de funny o! Could you explain why I shouldn't drive such cars, or even fix them?
Maybe because you thought the mesh wires for a temporal fix to the noise suppression was a permanent solution?

you drove over 650km with a catalyst filled with wire mesh, you handed the car over to the client in that state he drove it for 2more weeks, and you tell me it was a temporary solution?
You killed that engine.

10 Likes

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by TRYGO(m): 12:23pm On Dec 06, 2016
@gazzuzz. No sir. Didn't kill that engine.
Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by TRYGO(m): 12:24pm On Dec 06, 2016

Probably your conclusions based on the point I raised about engine damage, I think. Well, brother, that's your own point of view.
Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by Marpol: 1:50pm On Dec 06, 2016
TRYGO:

Probably your conclusions based on the point I raised about engine damage, I think. Well, brother, that's your own point of view.

Guy you are a KAZEEM!!! Stop trying to justify your actions! You killed the engine period.

If you don't know that by now then you have no business on this forum.

3 Likes

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by TRYGO(m): 3:31pm On Dec 06, 2016
@ marpol. kk na. Case closed. Your opinion though.
Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by nurey(m): 4:22pm On Dec 06, 2016
since i am an internet Mechanic, it would be better i sit down and watch the internet brawl. but oga trygo, like 4 people have condemned your fix, am not been sarcastic or ego filled, but its better you retrace your steps, incase of next time.

one love brother

2 Likes

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by TRYGO(m): 5:17pm On Dec 06, 2016
Emmmm, if you're I'm the support that I was responsible for that car's engine failure, say Yeah. If you're not in support, say Nay. Mind you, na me be the speaker here. I can overrule all your decisions. Problem is, you can't impeach me. I refuse to accept responsibility for it sirs. Set a technical inquiry, would attend.
I meant to say a straight engine. Shikenan. Wasalam.
Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by erico2k2(m): 10:05pm On Dec 06, 2016
TRYGO:
Emmmm, if you're I'm the support that I was responsible for that car's engine failure, say Yeah. If you're not in support, say Nay. Mind you, na me be the speaker here. I can overrule all your decisions. Problem is, you can't impeach me. I refuse to accept responsibility for it sirs. Set a technical inquiry, would attend.
I meant to say a straight engine. Shikenan. Wasalam.
Guy seriously even you know say you err there, Cat converters are not repaired its a non serviceable part.Its not meant to make your vehicle sound better or faster, its to convert harmful gases to friendly gases chikina.The metal inside reacts with the gases from the Engine.You was better off not putting anything inside that pot.
The button line is the Cat Converter is an expensive part.SO one should do everything possible not to let it die, but if you clog it in the guess of repairing or patching it then your case don worse cos you will choke the Engine.

3 Likes

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by TRYGO(m): 5:14am On Dec 07, 2016
@erico. I think I like your style of response here.
I know catalysts are not repaired. You have to replace them with a new or used one.
What you referred to as stacking it, was not a permanent fix to that stuff.
We did that to:

*reduce the loud noise you hear when a catalyst is removed. I guess you know that sound is.

*to by all means bring the car down to Lagos and get all the necessary parts required for the fix.

If you had peradventure read through all the article, I started in it that the scope of the job was to rescue the car, and do the fix in Lagos (that's the car owners TOR to us). He wanted parts bought only in Lagos. Option of way billing whatever part required was presented.

TO YOUR CONCLUSIONS THAT THE WIRE MESH MIGHT HAVE CHOKED THE ENGINE, let's do it this way. Let me so my best to explain technically what I think happened.

*There is no way the mesh wires could block or choke the engine.
If those mesh wires stayed for long, and got rusted in that system, I may perhaps somewhat agree with you, but not totally.

* if you look at the mesh size of that wire, it is of more diameter than even a normal catalyst.
Take a look at the pictures of the catalyst and the mesh wires I posted in the article. You'll notice that the catalyst pores are little bit very tiny, while that of the mesh wires are extremely large.
So, now. If car makers use materials of such tiny diameter, to try to achieve emissions control, and noise suppression on exhaust systems, and such cars work perfectly, except of course the catalyst material (made up of platinum or palladium) gets degraded, it would choke(clog) the free exit of emissions from the combustion chamber. Have you ever wondered, Erico!, why is it that when you try to start your car to no avail, and probably your mechanic comes around, and discover that the catalytic converters were the culprit, has it ever occurred to you to like figure out what the "heavens" could have caused that clogging? Catalyst degrade with time, and usage. The transition metals used as catalytic converters are substrates and when they degrade, and like powdery stuff.
Catalytic converters don't react with corrosion causing agents, and that's why they're used.

*Let me say mesh wires are not transition metals, and can never be used as a substitute for a catalyst. And if in your view, and that of others in this platform, I inserted those in the catcon, as a permanent solution, don't you think my engineering certificate should be withdrawn from me, and maybe, as someone on this platform said that, "hey, Joseph. You should be arrested and put in prison"?
I do understand the dynamics of these things. I don't just work on cars, just to get the bucks.

*Let's even reason this way, Erico. If this was a permanent fix, I don't think I would come on this platform and spew out maybe what I think would impugn on my reputation na. Engine got knocked not on the basis of mesh wires inserted in the catalyst. If that's your reasoning, it is wrong. Putting mesh wires wasn't as inserting it to CHOKE the engine, in such a way to prevent back pressures. Take a look at the mesh wires on the ground at the panel beaters workshop. Those stuffs can't clog the two catalytic converters converters. Except maybe we insert say, a lorry load of those stuffs in it.

*ANOTHER VERY IMPORTANT POINT IS that the during combustion process in any internal combustion engine applications, all end products of the combustion EXITS the exhaust system, and NOT returning back in to the engine.

*I have drawn out a sketch, to support what I mean in the above point.

I do appreciate your positive criticism here.
But I would want you to present to me in tour next response, a counter engineering reason(s) why you think the MESH WIRES caused the problem.

Good morning

Regards,
Joseph

PS: I know the CATCON is an expensive part, which had degraded and caused the problem to the vehicle while it was at the East.
PLEASE GET ME WELL. THE SCOPE IF THE JOB IS "DON'T FIX THAT CAR IN THE EAST. DO WHAT YOU CAN TO DRIVE THE CAR BACK TO LAGOS". SO, are you and others saying with the catalyst bad already, I should drive the car back to Lagos with the attendant noise from the exhaust system? Sorry, if that's what you meant, I can't.

I WOULD RATHER PREFER PEOPLE PRESENT TECHNICAL BACKINGS OR REASONS WHY THAT MESH WIRES WAS RESPONSIBLE.
IN OUR RESPONSES TO THIS ?s, let's all understand what CATALYSTS do in the first place, their CHEMICAL COMPOSITION, and which DIRECTION EXIT GASES FROM COMBUSTION leaves the combustion chamber. IS IT BACKWARDS RETURNING TO THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER, OR OUTWARDS AWAY FROM THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER, and then COMPARE IT WITH THE MESH WIRES.
If we can get all these facts ready, I think our for/again the circumstances of the engine problem would be more productive.

*****Sorry, if the sketch is blurred.
Legends:
dotted arrows rep direction of " inlet" gas stream
plain arrows rep direction of exit gases from combustion chamber

I just want to make it really more explicit.

Its better for me to drive a car stashed with mesh wires, than to drive it with a degraded catalyst in it.******

1 Like

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by TRYGO(m): 9:30am On Dec 07, 2016
"since i am an internet Mechanic, it would be better i sit down and watch the internet brawl. but oga trygo , like 4 people have condemned your fix, am not been sarcastic or ego filled, but its better you retrace your steps, incase of next time.
one love brother"

@nurey. You de funny o! "internet mechanic?!"
This isn't a media war here. Its a "fight" against a MYTH.
I do understand what you're saying.
A thousand condemnations about that fix, doesn't bother me, sir. Except if those ate backed up by some kind of technical proves. You don't just conclude on stuffs like that.
You back them up with facts, not with a layman's understanding (don't take this as an offence please).
I have presented all the reasonings behind the procedures we've employed in fixing that car, and the TOR assigned us by the client.

Check out my responses to Erico. You'll get that on the responses have made so far.

" grin
"since i am an internet Mechanic, it would be better i sit down and watch the internet brawl. but oga trygo , like 4 people have condemned your fix, am not been sarcastic or ego filled, but its better you retrace your steps, incase of next time.
one love brother"

@nurey. You de funny o! "internet mechanic?!"
This isn't a media war here. Its a "fight" against a MYTH.
I do understand what you're saying.
A thousand condemnations about that fix, doesn't bother me, sir. Except if those ate backed up by some kind of technical proves. You don't just conclude on stuffs like that.
You back them up with facts, not with a layman's understanding (don't take this as an offence please).
I have presented all the reasonings behind the procedures we've employed in fixing that car, and the TOR assigned us by the client.

Check out my responses to Erico. You'll get that on the responses have made so far.

"
Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by erico2k2(m): 11:50am On Dec 07, 2016
TRYGO:
@erico. I think I like your style of response here.
I know catalysts are not repaired. You have to replace them with a new or used one.
What you referred to as stacking it, was not a permanent fix to that stuff.
We did that to:

*reduce the loud noise you hear when a catalyst is removed. I guess you know that sound is.

*to by all means bring the car down to Lagos and get all the necessary parts required for the fix.

If you had peradventure read through all the article, I started in it that the scope of the job was to rescue the car, and do the fix in Lagos (that's the car owners TOR to us). He wanted parts bought only in Lagos. Option of way billing whatever part required was presented.

TO YOUR CONCLUSIONS THAT THE WIRE MESH MIGHT HAVE CHOKED THE ENGINE, let's do it this way. Let me so my best to explain technically what I think happened.

*There is no way the mesh wires could block or choke the engine.
If those mesh wires stayed for long, and got rusted in that system, I may perhaps somewhat agree with you, but not totally.

* if you look at the mesh size of that wire, it is of more diameter than even a normal catalyst.
Take a look at the pictures of the catalyst and the mesh wires I posted in the article. You'll notice that the catalyst pores are little bit very tiny, while that of the mesh wires are extremely large.
So, now. If car makers use materials of such tiny diameter, to try to achieve emissions control, and noise suppression on exhaust systems, and such cars work perfectly, except of course the catalyst material (made up of platinum or palladium) gets degraded, it would choke(clog) the free exit of emissions from the combustion chamber. Have you ever wondered, Erico!, why is it that when you try to start your car to no avail, and probably your mechanic comes around, and discover that the catalytic converters were the culprit, has it ever occurred to you to like figure out what the "heavens" could have caused that clogging? Catalyst degrade with time, and usage. The transition metals used as catalytic converters are substrates and when they degrade, and like powdery stuff.
Catalytic converters don't react with corrosion causing agents, and that's why they're used.

*Let me say mesh wires are not transition metals, and can never be used as a substitute for a catalyst. And if in your view, and that of others in this platform, I inserted those in the catcon, as a permanent solution, don't you think my engineering certificate should be withdrawn from me, and maybe, as someone on this platform said that, "hey, Joseph. You should be arrested and put in prison"?
I do understand the dynamics of these things. I don't just work on cars, just to get the bucks.

*Let's even reason this way, Erico. If this was a permanent fix, I don't think I would come on this platform and spew out maybe what I think would impugn on my reputation na. Engine got knocked not on the basis of mesh wires inserted in the catalyst. If that's your reasoning, it is wrong. Putting mesh wires wasn't as inserting it to CHOKE the engine, in such a way to prevent back pressures. Take a look at the mesh wires on the ground at the panel beaters workshop. Those stuffs can't clog the two catalytic converters converters. Except maybe we insert say, a lorry load of those stuffs in it.

*ANOTHER VERY IMPORTANT POINT IS that the during combustion process in any internal combustion engine applications, all end products of the combustion EXITS the exhaust system, and NOT returning back in to the engine.

*I have drawn out a sketch, to support what I mean in the above point.

I do appreciate your positive criticism here.
But I would want you to present to me in tour next response, a counter engineering reason(s) why you think the MESH WIRES caused the problem.

Good morning

Regards,
Joseph

PS: I know the CATCON is an expensive part, which had degraded and caused the problem to the vehicle while it was at the East.
PLEASE GET ME WELL. THE SCOPE IF THE JOB IS "DON'T FIX THAT CAR IN THE EAST. DO WHAT YOU CAN TO DRIVE THE CAR BACK TO LAGOS". SO, are you and others saying with the catalyst bad already, I should drive the car back to Lagos with the attendant noise from the exhaust system? Sorry, if that's what you meant, I can't.

I WOULD RATHER PREFER PEOPLE PRESENT TECHNICAL BACKINGS OR REASONS WHY THAT MESH WIRES WAS RESPONSIBLE.
IN OUR RESPONSES TO THIS ?s, let's all understand what CATALYSTS do in the first place, their CHEMICAL COMPOSITION, and which DIRECTION EXIT GASES FROM COMBUSTION leaves the combustion chamber. IS IT BACKWARDS RETURNING TO THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER, OR OUTWARDS AWAY FROM THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER, and then COMPARE IT WITH THE MESH WIRES.
If we can get all these facts ready, I think our for/again the circumstances of the engine problem would be more productive.

*****Sorry, if the sketch is blurred.
Legends:
dotted arrows rep direction of " inlet" gas stream
plain arrows rep direction of exit gases from combustion chamber

I just want to make it really more explicit.

Its better for me to drive a car stashed with mesh wires, than to drive it with a degraded catalyst in it.******
Just to point out some mistake you are making
1.the cat converter has nothing what so ever to do with the sound of your car thats the JOB of the Back BOX (Re-sounder)
2 your best bet was to remove the cat converter totally from the exhaust system until you can get a new replacement.
3 The only physical effect you will get by removing the content of you cat converter would be increased fuel consumption and failure in emission responsibilities
Let us get back to basics
I don't know how far back your Education goes but the concept of OXIDATION REDUCTION is what this is all about .
Main function of the cat converter in chemistry language
this is for the 2 way converter

oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide 2CO + O2 → 2CO2
Oxidation of Hydrocarbon this is the fuel not burnt or partially burt to carbon dioxide and water you see out of your tail pipe.
THIS IS THE CHEMICAL EQUATION FOR COMBUSTION : CxH2x+2 + [(3x+1)/2] O2 → xCO2 + (x+1) H2O

[b][/b]However the three way type adds a third reaction which is Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen: 2NOx → xO2 + N2
On a final note the cat converters where put in cars due to Emission regulation of teh state as a compulsory component rather than and improvement to the car as a whole.

1 Like

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by nurey(m): 12:31pm On Dec 07, 2016
erico2k2:

Just to point out some mistake you are making
1.the cat converter has nothing what so ever to do with the sound of your car thats the JOB of the Back BOX (Re-sounder)
2 your best bet was to remove the cat converter totally from the exhaust system until you can get a new replacement.
3 The only physical effect you will get by removing the content of you cat converter would be increased fuel consumption and failure in emission responsibilities
Let us get back to basics
I don't know how far back your Education goes but the concept of OXIDATION REDUCTION is what this is all about .
Main function of the cat converter in chemistry language
this is for the 2 way converter

oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide 2CO + O2 → 2CO2
Oxidation of Hydrocarbon this is the fuel not burnt or partially burt to carbon dioxide and water you see out of your tail pipe.
THIS IS THE CHEMICAL EQUATION FOR COMBUSTION : CxH2x+2 + [(3x+1)/2] O2 → xCO2 + (x+1) H2O

[b][/b]However the three way type adds a third reaction which is Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen: 2NOx → xO2 + N2
On a final note the cat converters where put in cars due to Emission regulation of teh state as a compulsory component rather than and improvement to the car as a whole.

see chemical equation and reaction, plus confirm balancing, but you didnt show us enthalphy and entrophy. come join am with confirm ogbonge Redox reaction. where were thou, when i was a back bencher in school. better late than never, how do i enroll as your second apprentice after trygo?

2H2O + 4CO2 + HEAT - 638hp + Energy

1 Like

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by TRYGO(m): 1:11pm On Dec 07, 2016
@erico. You're taking me back to my chemistry lessons now o! Mainly organic chemistry.
Now you're delving into theoretical stuff. Like those backgrounds you've got. That's cool brother!

But it seems you've not really answered my concern.
CAN YOU USE THOSE REDOX REACTIONS TO PROVE HOW WOULD MESH WIRES STALKED IN A CATCON, CAUSE "ENGINE DAMAGE".

I really need technical answers to this.
For the noise levels, have you ever tried this experiment. Remove the catalyst and close back the catcon, and check the noise levels. Would you hear the same kind of of noise? It still depends on the kind of noise you're taking about. Are you saying there won't be any noise or it would still be the same? Or, are you saying if for instance you've got any part of your car's exhaust system that's RUPTURED, are you still saying there won't be any noise, or the noise you'll be hearing would only come from the tailpipe?

I do understand those REDOX and COMBUSTION reactions you're talking about na. I don't think I need to put those reactions in there.
If you read through that article, you'll know that I had emphasised that you'll get poor gas mileage, without a catalyst. So, you saying there won't be noise highs, isn't OK. Just try it out and see.

I would suggest Erico, why not present me with technical proves of all these na.
I must admit there must have being mistakes in some if the use of maybe technical jargons in my write-ups, well, not to worry, would accept your corrections though.

WHAT I IS STILL NEED IS DO A COMPARATIVE CHEMICAL AND PHYSICAL ANALYSIS OF A CATALYST SUBSTRATE (vis-à-vis the transition metals) AND THE MESH WIRE. You would find out that mesh wires can't be a permanent fix.
You may want to refer to "Kazeem", now. Ask the Kazeemites about what mesh wires do in catcons, and perhaps they'll be glad to tell you.
Let's not underrate KAZEEM people too o! They know what they're doing sometimes; its just some of them lack basic understanding of the dynamics of operations of some of those stuffs.

I think this discussion is opening us all to new horizons. Don't you think so, Erico?
Let our responses be cordial without insults. How about that? This platform is a " democratic" one. You choose what you want read, hear, and see. But you've got no control over what other peoples responses should be.
Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by erico2k2(m): 2:53pm On Dec 07, 2016
nurey:

see chemical equation and reaction, plus confirm balancing, but you didnt show us enthalphy and entrophy. come join am with confirm ogbonge Redox reaction. where were thou, when i was a back bencher in school. better late than never, how do i enroll as your second apprentice after trygo?

2H2O + 4CO2 + HEAT - 638hp + Energy
Nah my guy we need to stick to the part that concerns what we are talking about, taking it further will lead to me talking jargon
What I stated up there is just to do with combustion simple.If I go toe Redox I have to take into account materials used which differs in all cars, so one equation will never answer all.
Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by erico2k2(m): 2:56pm On Dec 07, 2016
TRYGO:
@erico. You're taking me back to my chemistry lessons now o! Mainly organic chemistry.
Now you're delving into theoretical stuff. Like those backgrounds you've got. That's cool brother!

CAN YOU USE THOSE REDOX REACTIONS TO PROVE HOW WOULD MESH WIRES STALKED IN A CATCON, CAUSE "ENGINE DAMAGE".

For the noise levels, have you ever tried this experiment. Remove the catalyst and close back the catcon, and check the noise levels. Would you hear the same kind of of noise? It still depends on the kind of noise you're taking about. Are you saying there won't be any noise or it would still be the same? Or, are you saying if for instance you've got any part of your car's exhaust system that's RUPTURED, are you still saying there won't be any noise, or the noise you'll be hearing would only come from the tailpipe?

I do understand those REDOX and COMBUSTION reactions you're talking about na. I don't think I need to put those reactions in there.
If you read through that article, you'll know that I had emphasised that you'll get poor gas mileage, without a catalyst. So, you saying there won't be noise highs, isn't OK. Just try it out and see.

I would suggest Erico, why not present me with technical proves of all these na.
I must admit there must have being mistakes in some if the use of maybe technical jargons in my write-ups, well, not to worry, would accept your corrections though.

WHAT I IS STILL NEED IS DO A COMPARATIVE CHEMICAL AND PHYSICAL ANALYSIS OF A CATALYST SUBSTRATE (vis-à-vis the transition metals) AND THE MESH WIRE. You would find out that mesh wires can't be a permanent fix.
You may want to refer to "Kazeem", now. Ask the Kazeemites about what mesh wires do in catcons, and perhaps they'll be glad to tell you.
Let's not underrate KAZEEM people too o! They know what they're doing sometimes; its just some of them lack basic understanding of the dynamics of operations of some of those stuffs.

I think this discussion is opening us all to new horizons. Don't you think so, Erico?
Let our responses be cordial without insults. How about that? This platform is a " democratic" one. You choose what you want read, hear, and see. But you've got no control over what other peoples responses should be.

well as for try it out and see I have, check the pic bellow
This is not a Catalytic converter rather a back Box, or silencer, so waht you are welding up there is way different from a cat converter

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by erico2k2(m): 3:42pm On Dec 07, 2016
TRYGO:

you already answered the question above,why did you replace the materials inside teh catcon with mesh in the first place?
Answer Sluggishness right? blockade right?
Now same thing will happen when you fit in mesh and it will suffocate the engine, just imagine you are on a thread mill and someone close one of your nose

1 Like

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:23pm On Dec 07, 2016
erico2k2:

you already answered teh question above,why did you replace the materials inside teh catcon with mesh in the first place?
Answer Sluggishness right? blockade right?
Now same thing will happen when you fit in mesh and it will suffocate the engine, just imagine you are on a thread mill and someone close one of your nose

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4579844_images6_jpeg1c7fe4593e1cb59a6cc509b04199eb53

grin grin grin grin grin RIP engine

1 Like

Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by TRYGO(m): 4:48pm On Dec 07, 2016
@gazzuzz! I'm just tied of this pendulum comments.
OK. Burial would be in heaven.
Well, still your opinion.
Closing one nostrils? That analogy doesn't hold "ruwa". If you close a nose with a material with a diameter of say, 100mm, and a diameter of 30mm, which do you think would choke the person, and even result to death? Choking, in my view, should depend on the texture and structure of that material. Don't you think so? So, if your response is in the positive, compare that to a mesh wire, and a catalyst. Do their diameters measure up?
Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by TRYGO(m): 5:05pm On Dec 07, 2016
Gazzuzz. We have not buried the engine. We would resurrect it. Burying that engine, as you suggest depicts we've given up on it. We don't just give up on stuffs like that.

Can you just give technical backings to your justification that the mesh wires was intended to choke the engine in your words, and leading to its eventual failure? Its that simple. Layman's analogies isn't helping here.

OK. To the main issue now. The "nose" choking analogy won't work.
This is why. You'll have to know the diameter of the material you're using to Chike that nose you talked about; understand if there's a motive for that nose to be choked; determine the diameters of the material used for choking that nose. What's the texture, and structural makeup of the materials to meet up with your objectives of "choking" example you gave. If your answers are OK, then try to apply the points above to the mesh wire and catalyst substrate analogy. I just hope we come to a consensus somehow on this.
Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by erico2k2(m): 5:10pm On Dec 07, 2016
TRYGO:
@gazzuzz! I'm just tied of this pendulum comments.
OK. Burial would be in heaven.
Well, still your opinion.
Closing one nostrils? That analogy doesn't hold "ruwa". If you close a nose with a material with a diameter of say, 100mm, and a diameter of 30mm, which do you think would choke the person, and even result to death? Choking, in my view, should depend on the texture and structure of that material. Don't you think so? So, if your response is in the positive, compare that to a mesh wire, and a catalyst. Do their diameters measure up?
I take it you did not read the comment on the other photo I posted up there?
What you opened was not your CAT.I was struggling to look for the o2 sensors
Re: Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune by erico2k2(m): 5:32pm On Dec 07, 2016
TRYGO:
Gazzuzz. We have not buried the engine. We would resurrect it. Burying that engine, as you suggest depicts we've given up on it. We don't just give up on stuffs like that.

Can you just give technical backings to your justification that the mesh wires was intended to choke the engine in your words, and leading to its eventual failure? Its that simple. Layman's analogies isn't helping here.

OK. To the main issue now. The "nose" choking analogy won't work.
This is why. You'll have to know the diameter of the material you're using to Chike that nose you talked about; understand if there's a motive for that nose to be choked; determine the diameters of the material used for choking that nose. What's the texture, and structural makeup of the materials to meet up with your objectives of "choking" example you gave. If your answers are OK, then try to apply the points above to the mesh wire and catalyst substrate analogy. I just hope we come to a consensus somehow on this.
If you look at the photo I posted, you will see there are two pans and series of pipes inside,there was meant to be fluffy stuff fiber like inside with mesh, when this burns out the resultant is both pans vibrating,if you can separate both pans then less vibration, all those crap actually does nothing, its just ways kazzems chopulate your money.These car parts are non serviceable period.
Look at what is inside the cat converter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ku85O2_JtQ

(1) (2) (Reply)

3.9m For 2005 Corolla: Is It Really Worth It? / I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! / Infor On Audi A4 Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.