Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,824 members, 7,810,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:21 PM

Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! (3038 Views)

My Toyota Corolla's Brain Box Has Been Stolen! / My Toyota Corolla For Uber Was Vandalized Yesterday / 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by klipse: 9:28pm On Dec 06, 2016
Hi guys, recently I noticed that my wife's toyota matrix started consuming a lot of petrol and you can smell petrol odor inside the car and also outside the car just around the fuel tank. This happens only while driving or immediately you park. I thought maybe it's a leak but the mech has inspected the pipes and can't find any leaks. Iv had the air filter blown clean, serviced the injectors and cleaned the plugs. I also swapped fuel tank cap with a friend's corolla and still the odor persists. The exhaust was leaking initially but this has long been fixed.

No error codes relating to this shows up, the only error code is a System Voltage Malfunction which flashes infrequently. Iv scanned using my OBD II scanner and I only says O2 sensor incomplete.

I suspect that the cause of the high consumption is the strong petrol odor. Please help!
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by klipse: 9:30pm On Dec 06, 2016
I forgot to mention that when I get to speeds of 100km/hr and above, the fuel level drops really fast. I thought at highway speeds, the car is supposed to consume less fuel?

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by mayor2013: 9:39pm On Dec 06, 2016
klipse:
I forgot to mention that when I get to speeds of 100km/hr and above, the fuel level drops really fast. I thought at highway speeds, the car is supposed to consume less fuel?

Come to multi autolab for proper diagnosi if in lagos . Your car's problem would be solved. 08156087872 or 08165520837.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by klipse: 9:42pm On Dec 06, 2016
mayor2013:

Come to multi autolab for proper diagnosi if in lagos . Your car's problem would be solved. 08156087872 or 08165520837.

Where are u located in Lagos?
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:42pm On Dec 06, 2016
klipse:
Hi guys, recently I noticed that my wife's toyota matrix started consuming a lot of petrol and you can smell petrol odor inside the car and also outside the car just around the fuel tank. This happens only while driving or immediately you park. I thought maybe it's a leak but the mech has inspected the pipes and can't find any leaks. Iv had the air filter blown clean, serviced the injectors and cleaned the plugs. I also swapped fuel tank cap with a friend's corolla and still the odor persists. The exhaust was leaking initially but this has long been fixed.

No error codes relating to this shows up, the only error code is a System Voltage Malfunction which flashes infrequently. Iv scanned using my OBD II scanner and I only says O2 sensor incomplete.

I suspect that the cause of the high consumption is the strong petrol odor. Please help!

remove rear seat, check fuel pump area.
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by klipse: 9:45pm On Dec 06, 2016
The mech checked the fuel pump and its not leaking. Also I noticed that the fan is connected directly. How do I check if the thermostat has not been removed?
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by mayor2013: 11:12pm On Dec 06, 2016
klipse:

Where are u located in Lagos?

12b alhaji yekini olarewaju street akesan bustop igando lagos
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by klipse: 8:05am On Dec 07, 2016
Thanks. If its any help, I just checked the car's temperature when fully warmed up and it reads 85 degrees. Is this good, is the thermostat bad?
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:19am On Dec 07, 2016
klipse:
Thanks. If its any help, I just checked the car's temperature when fully warmed up and it reads 85 degrees. Is this good, is the thermostat bad?

90-96deg
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by honmusa(m): 8:37am On Dec 07, 2016
klipse:
If that is the Maximum temperature your engine can put out ,that is rather low ,the optimum temperature is btw 92-95 centigrade. Your car will definitely takes a longer time to achieve close loop which will spell doom for your engine in in the long run and cause high fuel consumption .
Just ensure your fan is connected to default setting for your engine to gain more heat and connect your thermostat back if it is not operation but before you go ahead with this scheme ,ensure your coolant integrity is intact so that car will not start to overheat after all this has been done .
If you need a professional to put in car in a good and perfect condition ,call autologic @08061166316
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by Readonee35L(m): 10:57am On Dec 07, 2016
honmusa:

If that is the Maximum temperature your engine can put out ,that is rather low ,the optimum temperature is btw 92-95 centigrade. Your car will definitely takes a longer time to achieve close loop which will spell doom for your engine in in the long run and cause high fuel consumption .
Just ensure your fan is connected to default setting for your engine to gain more heat and connect your thermostat back if it is not operation but before you go ahead with this scheme ,ensure your coolant integrity is intact so that car will not start to overheat after all this has been done .
If you need a professional to put in car in a good and perfect condition ,call autologic @08061166316
You see say one of your brother dn put number .
You self put your own.

Cartalk is not ladipo or mechanic village .
He came here for advice not to look for mechanic .
At least you'd point him to the right direction and give him solution so others can see and learn .
Not putting number there . at the end of the day nobody learns anything .
That's the new trend here in cartalk now angry

6 Likes

Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by divinelove(m): 8:29pm On Dec 07, 2016
honmusa:

Pls do u kw anyone in Aba that can help resolve check engine light in Carina E to reduce fuel consumption thanks
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by honmusa(m): 6:17am On Dec 08, 2016
divinelove:

Pls do u kw anyone in Aba that can help resolve check engine light in Carina E to reduce fuel consumption thanks
call Donald @ 0806 388 5614. Tested and trusted
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by klipse: 7:48pm On Dec 11, 2016
So I had an electrical guy correct the cooling fan and now the fan comes on only on thermostat and spins for some seconds then switches off just like my honda. I observed that it gets to 96 degrees and then the fan comes on cooling it to about 92 degrees. But it still consumes fuel though its a lot better now.

I still suspect that the odor of petrol has a big part to play. The smell is still strong ooo. Abeg help, I want to travel with the car.
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:51pm On Dec 11, 2016
klipse:
So I had an electrical guy correct the cooling fan and now the fan comes on only on thermostat and spins for some seconds then switches off just like my honda. I observed that it gets to 96 degrees and then the fan comes on cooling it to about 92 degrees. But it still consumes fuel though its a lot better now.

I still suspect that the odor of petrol has a big part to play. The smell is still strong ooo. Abeg help, I want to travel with the car.

Vacuum the fuel tank from the evap line, does it hold pressure? If it does not find the leak.
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by klipse: 8:08pm On Dec 11, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Vacuum the fuel tank from the evap line, does it hold pressure? If it does not find the leak.

Is it not supposed to indicate a CEL if it doesn't hold vacuum? I scanned using ODB II scanner and it says 02 sensor: Incomplete and Evaporative Sys: Incomplete but no CEL lighted.
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:04am On Dec 12, 2016
klipse:

Is it not supposed to indicate a CEL if it doesn't hold vacuum? I scanned using ODB II scanner and it says 02 sensor: Incomplete and Evaporative Sys: Incomplete but no CEL lighted.

You are not using the scanner in the right way.
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by honmusa(m): 7:27am On Dec 12, 2016
klipse:

Simply scan for DTC codes and forget about all this 'complete and incomplete jargons' cry
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by klipse: 8:40am On Dec 12, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

You are not using the scanner in the right way.

Please how do I use it correctly?
Re: Help! My Toyota Matrix 04 Consumes Excessive Petrol! by Kashif(m): 1:47pm On Dec 12, 2016
You can use a capable scan tool to determine to a large extent, what could be responsible for your excessive fuel consumption. Before that, you can check how your MAF is behaving. At an RPM of 700, the gms of your MAF should be same as the engine displacement. If it is off mark, you may want to start from there. This can only be seen via live PID.

Now, hunting for the performance culprit... you will need to know what your total fuel trim is reading realtime. Graph it while raising your engine RPM to 3000. If it starts at a little above zero and stays there while your RPM rises to 3000, you have wrong fuel or flow. If it goes from below zero but does not hit zero, you have a torn diaphram. If it moves from above zero up, you have low fuel volume. If it shuttles between + and - at take off, but peaks above zero, check air metering. If it goes from above zero to zero, there is vacuum leak.

Also check for any misfire count. Many performance issues will not throw up any code.

(1) (Reply)

How I Fixed My My Car Steering Rack / Abeg Make Una Help / Clean European Used Passat From Norway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.