Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,004 members, 7,817,969 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors (2429 Views)

Soludo: Nigeria Needs 5 Vice Presidents & A Six-year Single Term For Presidents / LG Autonomy, Independent Candidacy, Single Term For President, Governors / Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by sarrki(m): 1:15pm On Dec 13, 2016
By Henry Umoru & Joseph Erunke ABUJA- DEPUTY President of Senate, Senator Ike Ekweremadu has proposed a single term of six years for incumbent president and governors, just as he raised alarm that the independence of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC was dangerously drifting away.

According to him, it has become imperative to go for a single term of office as that would go a long way in reducing the desperation of incumbents, which in turn defiles the electoral process and endangers democracy.

Speaking Tuesday at the retreat organised by the presidential Committee in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, Senator Ike Ekweremadu charged the Constitution and Electoral Reform Committee to help restore the fast declining independence of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC as that would help preserve the nation’s democracy.

In a statement signed by his Special Adviser, Media and Publicity, Uche Anichukwu, Senator Ekweremadu suggested that a single term of office would reduce desperation and impunity by politicians as well as the conduct of party primaries by the INEC to reduce the life and death struggle by politicians for control of party machinery, just as he expressed worries that “Nigeria is sadly on the part of decline in its leadership role in Africa in almost all sectors, including electoral system”.

The Senator who also chairs the Senate Committee on Constitution Review, explained that the essence of the amendments to Sections 81 and 156 of the 1999 Constitution by the National Assembly in 2010 was to guarantee the financial autonomy and neutrality of INEC, but lamented that the gains made from such provisions in the 2011 and 2015 general elections were being eroded. Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu Ekweremadu said: “The word ‘Independent’ in the name of our Election Management Body, INEC, is critical and must be defended and preserved if our democracy must survive.

“The bible says that if salt loses its saltiness, it becomes worthless and can only be thrown away. The word ‘Independent’ is the salt in our Election Management Body. All the past reforms and the present efforts will be meaningless if we sit back and watch some desperate politicians destroy the independence of our electoral umpire.

“The world is watching too. We must ensure that INEC is retained to Independent National Electoral Commission in name and practice, not just National Electoral Commission as it is presently and dangerously drifting to. Inconclusiveness, postponement, cancellation, and manipulation are dangerous signs on the road to 2019”.

Ekweremadu who proposed a jail term without option of fine for security agents as well as staff and ad-hoc staff of INEC, whom he said currently “get away with brazen impunity and malpractices, said, “It is wrong for anybody to engage in electoral malpractice, but it is even worse if guardians of the sanctity of the ballot box become the desecrators of the process.

“Much of the impunity, violence, and malpractices that defile our electoral system are caused by desperation for a second term of office; a single term of six years, for example, for incumbent executives to conclude all their ‘good work’, will certainly reduce the weight and influence they bring to bear on elections remotely or directly affecting them” he said.

On how conduct of primaries by an indpendent INEC could help reduce the power struggles in political parties and ensure the popular candidates emerge, Ekweremadu explained: “This is the practice in Ghana.

It will reduce the competition amongst stakeholders to take control of the party machinery. At the moment, it is almost a life and death matter during the primaries of political parties”.

He said since the electoral laws were amended in 2010 to end funding of political parties by INEC, hence such funds should be channeled to financing conduct of party primaries by INEC.

Ekweremadu also canvassed the amendment of Section 77 of the Constitution to allow diaspora voting, noting that “Nigeria has a theming diaspora community, both in terms of number and quality, and these people deserve to have a say in who governs their country, especially given their contributions to national development”.

Other reforms he canvassed were rotation of presidential and governorship seats among the geopolitical zones and senatorial districts, respectively, possibly for a given period of time; compulsory electronic voting; early primaries; conclusion of pre-election matters before general election; and a hybrid of presidential and parliamentary system to reduce cost of governance and improve synergy between the executive and legislature.

He pledged the commitment of the National Assembly to working with the presidential Committee to better the nation’s democracy.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/12/ekweremadu-proposes-single-term-6-years-president-governors/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by sarrki(m): 1:16pm On Dec 13, 2016
For the first time Ekwerenandu I am with you

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by Atiku2019: 1:18pm On Dec 13, 2016
I Don't Agree with you My Deputy Senate President. I Think we should propose a single term for your years for National Assembly Members.

David Mark and Co

Most Governors and Presidents work so hard during their first tenure implementing several capital projects/infrastructures to get re-elected, while their second tenure is meant for continous looting of the Federal/State treasury.

Atiku2019

Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by TippyTop(m): 1:18pm On Dec 13, 2016
Good and if the president turns out to be a dullard, allow him only 6months not 6yrs.

cc:mugu-hari

4 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by Agbaletu: 1:23pm On Dec 13, 2016
TippyTop:
Good and if the president turns out to be a dullard, allow him only 6months not 6yrs.

I think 3 three months is OK. Six months suffering is too much.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by TippyTop(m): 1:25pm On Dec 13, 2016
Agbaletu:

I think I agree with you.

3 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by lacasera14(m): 1:26pm On Dec 13, 2016
No it should be 8yrs single term.
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by sarrki(m): 1:26pm On Dec 13, 2016
Atiku2019:
I Don't Agree with you My Deputy Senate President. I Think we should propose a single term for your years for National Assembly Members.

David Mark and Co

Most Governors and Presidents work so hard during their first tenure implementing several caputal projects/infrastructures to get re-elected, while their second tenure is meant for continous looting of the Federal/State treasury.

Atiku2019

Bro the single term of six years (6) will help solve alot
Of issues we are facing now.

It will bring sanity to our system

All the zone will be able to produce a president
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by Atiku2019: 1:34pm On Dec 13, 2016
sarrki:

Bros No President or Governor will implement a single capital project with just a single term. Why most executives work so hard is just because they want to be re-elected.

Compare the 1st tenures of all state Governors with their Second tenures

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by dunkem21(m): 1:40pm On Dec 13, 2016
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by feedthenation(m): 1:41pm On Dec 13, 2016
What about Senators and House of Representatives?
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by iluvdonjazzy: 1:42pm On Dec 13, 2016
Ekweremadu u no like Nigerians at all, so u want us to continue this suffering/hardship for good 6years, habaa e no good na.
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by iluvdonjazzy: 1:45pm On Dec 13, 2016
There was Maurice Iwu before Atahiru Jega, don't worry, we are in Maurice Iwu regime now, very soon Jega regime will start.
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by sarrki(m): 1:46pm On Dec 13, 2016
dunkem21:

I remember you fought with your life when it was proposed during GEJ'S regime .. cheesy

Hypocrite cool

Dunkem am a patriot

Go to my page

Quote me or you remain silent on this
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by dunkem21(m): 2:16pm On Dec 13, 2016
sarrki:

Dunkem am a patriot

Go to my page

Quote me or you remain silent on this

cheesy I say make I find ya mouth cheesy

Kpele. cheesy
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by dunkem21(m): 2:20pm On Dec 13, 2016
iluvdonjazzy:
Ekweremadu u no like Nigerians at all, so u want us to continue this suffering/hardship for good 6years, habaa e no good na.

cheesy ..I feel like slapping Ekweremadu cheesy

This issue has been debated and lost during GEJ'S regime, why bring it up again

Because of the hatred for one man, the good things that would have benefited us were quashed.
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by donphilopus: 2:23pm On Dec 13, 2016
sarrki:

I oppose this Ekweremadu's proposal of a single-term six-year tenure. It doesn't make sense!

"A governor comes for six years; he loots the whole treasury and goes away. Putting them in jail will not solve the problem. What will solve the problem and fix this country is for every governor and every head of state to develop their various states and Nigeria by implication. So, I do not buy that idea and I don’t think this bill will fly."

We can't wait for a whole six years before we exercise our franchise. If somebody is elected as Governor of a State, all he would do is loot, loot and loot and there are so many insane fellows who would support them for looting the treasury. Once you elect a Governor for a single-term six-year tenure, he would do whatever he likes because he wouldn't need the votes of the masses anymore.
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by dunkem21(m): 2:25pm On Dec 13, 2016
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by dunkem21(m): 2:27pm On Dec 13, 2016
It is the people in NASS populated by O' Level holders that should take only single term of 4 years angry

Nonsense.
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by donphilopus: 2:29pm On Dec 13, 2016
dunkem21:

Because of the hatred for one man, the good things that would have benefited us were quashed.

How would it have benefited us? Someone wanted to continue his looting spree because he felt 2nd term wasn't sure for him and you're here telling us it would have benefited us. What's the difference between him and Obj and wanted a 3rd term for Nigerian President?
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by freeze001(f): 2:30pm On Dec 13, 2016
TippyTop:

Agbaletu:

TippyTop:

I think I agree with you.

Una two no well finally...lol grin cheesy
But I agree!

On the six-year single tenure, I agree with it but I do not think it should be a free-sailing six-year period. On that note, I would advocate mid-term evaluation particularly against the blueprint for governance which would have been produced by a the successful candidate upon assumption of office and within a stipulated period of time. A referendum may be conducted on the performance of the government and if it is adjudged below fixed standards, impeachment proceedings should be activated immediately. A properly regulated check like this will let them know that though they have no re-election bid to look up to, they can be sent packing before they finish their looting spree.

A rotational presidency should also be entrenched in the constitution if there is really an honest desire to allow for equity in this geographical states. Regions should be recognised and boundaries properly adjusted to ensure actual tribal/ethnic capturing and representation.
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by donphilopus: 2:31pm On Dec 13, 2016
dunkem21:
It is the people in NASS populated by O' Level holders that should take only single term of 4 years angry

Nonsense.

What's the minimum (academic) requirement for election into the National Assembly?
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by iluvdonjazzy: 2:31pm On Dec 13, 2016
dunkem21:

southearners doesn't like themselves, unlike the northerners.
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by Nobody: 2:32pm On Dec 13, 2016
The Senator who also chairs the Senate Committee on Constitution Review, explained that the essence of the amendments to Sections 81 and 156 of the 1999 Constitution by the National Assembly in 2010 was to guarantee the financial autonomy and neutrality of INEC, but lamented that the gains made from such provisions in the 2011 and 2015 general elections were being eroded. Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu Ekweremadu said: “The word ‘Independent’ in the name of our Election Management Body, INEC, is critical and must be defended and preserved if our democracy must survive.

Steps that will save Nigeria from sinking:

Amend the constitution to allow for true federalism

Amend the constitution to allow the quick impeachment of a non performing public officer, either through the Senate or plebiscite

Give each State autonomous power to manage their resources.

Upgrade entry level into any public office to graduates.... and tested technocrats.

Nigerian Police Force and the Military should be restricted to qualified graduates that have undergone rigorous psychological orientation.... (Don't give rooms to touts and rogues to parade themselves with rifles like uniformed armed robbers...)

Every Nigerian should have access to presidential information... nobody should be kept on the blues...

Regions should be restructured on ethnic lines.... boundaries that were fraudulently marked should be corrected. This will douse the call for secession.

etc.....

In conclusion, six years is enough for a bad leader to wreck havoc on the nation. Just create five years term, anybody that cannot perform in four years is clearly incompetent and will do nothing even if given extra two years. Five years single term should be the right equilibrium.

My opinion.
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by Nobody: 2:35pm On Dec 13, 2016
This bill will only make sense is stiff penalties are added alongside
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by sarrki(m): 2:36pm On Dec 13, 2016
ollah1:
This bill will only make sense is stiff penalties are added alongside

Weldone bro
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by dunkem21(m): 2:37pm On Dec 13, 2016
donphilopus:

How would it have benefited us? Someone wanted to continue his looting spree because he felt 2nd term wasn't sure for him and you're here telling us it would have benefited us. What's the difference between him and Obj and wanted a 3rd term for Nigerian President?

Stop twisting history, abeg .. This was proposed in the first few months of GEJ'S majestic tenure .. and I remember it was said the proposal wouldn't start with him.

Thank God it was quashed because we can't survive extra two years of this clueless administration undecided

You don't even know that 2019 campaign is already on in 2016 and it will cause distractions for the running administration.
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by sarrki(m): 2:37pm On Dec 13, 2016
Freeze I see you

Waiting for your comment
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by KidsNEXTdoor: 2:38pm On Dec 13, 2016
Two year term for dullards
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by Histrings08(m): 2:40pm On Dec 13, 2016
They'll still want reelection.. Objectives spent 8 years nd still wanted extention...
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by sarrki(m): 2:41pm On Dec 13, 2016
KidsNEXTdoor:
Two year term for dullards

Let's talk like a patriot
Re: Ekweremadu Proposes A Single Term Of 6 Years For President, Governors by freeze001(f): 2:42pm On Dec 13, 2016
sarrki:
Freeze I see you

Waiting for your comment

Complete the name so I can get your mention, my post is way up there...look up!

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Buhari We Met In London – Okorocha / Nigeria House Of Reps Chief Whip Gave Introduction Letter For DPR Recruitment / Photo: Aisha Buhari Building N1.45 Billion House In Yola - Twitter User

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.