Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies (24130 Views)

Senators Vote YES for Immunity for NASS members / Buhari's Deputies In 1985 Vs In 2017 - By Stanley Nwabia / 40 Vehicles Recovered By ICPC From Directors And Their Deputies (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by EdoNation(f): 10:52am On Dec 29, 2016
The Senate has commenced the process of amending section 308 of the 1999 Constitution which gives immunity to president, vice president, governors and deputy governors in the country.

A bill sponsored by Senator Ovie Omo-Agege (LP, Delta) on the immunity removal has been referred to the Senate Committee on Constitution amendment chaired by the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, Daily Trust reports.

The bill proposed the substitution of subsection 308(2) which reads “the provisions of subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to civil proceedings against a person to whom this section applies in his official capacity or to civil or criminal proceedings in which such a person is only a nominal party”, with a new section.

The proposed amendment reads, “the provisions of subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to, (a) ‘civil proceedings against a person to whom this section applies in his official capacity or to civil or criminal proceedings in which such a person is only a nominal party’.

It (b) part reads, “criminal proceedings connected to, related to or arising from economic and financial crimes”.

It’s sponsor, Omo-Agege said like in the US, the president and the VP, governors and their deputies should only be immune from civil actions arising from their official actions while in office.

“They are not entitled to immunity from litigation for actions not germane to their work. For example a president or governor who buys a car for a child and refuses to pay can be taken to court while in office,” he said.

“Also like in the US, there should be no immunity from criminal investigation or prosecution for crimes committed either before or while in office.

“Recall that Mr. Spiro Agnew while a sitting VP under President Nixon was tried and convicted for tax evasion while in office. Bill Clinton as a sitting president was hauled before a grand jury by Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr for perjury (lying under oath) while in office as president.

“Finally, Elliot Spitzer as a sitting governor of New York was tried and convicted for illicit solicitation for sex”, he added.

The sponsor believe that if the amendment is passed, there will be sanity, transparency and accountability in the Executive Arm of government, especially “Treatment of our state resources which most of them currently treat as slush funds”.

http://dailypost.ng/2016/12/29/senate-remove-immunity-president-governors-deputies/

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by EdoNation(f): 10:53am On Dec 29, 2016

IF THIS COMES TRU ALMOST ALL GOVERNERS GO ENTER KIRIKIRI

79 Likes

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by AntiWailer: 11:00am On Dec 29, 2016
Liars

They are stylishly pressurizing executives to give Senate President immunity.

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Nobody: 11:02am On Dec 29, 2016
EdoNation:
IF THIS COMES TRU ALMOST ALL GOVERNERS GO ENTER KIRIKIRI
I doubt that. The party that has the Presidency will send opposition party to kirikiri. This is not a good move.

8 Likes

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by KidsNEXTdoor: 11:06am On Dec 29, 2016
Anything that puts Buhari behind bars is ok for me

68 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by EdoNation(f): 11:09am On Dec 29, 2016
mikezuruki:

I doubt that. The party that has the Presidency will send opposition party to kirikiri. This is not a good move.

LOL

1 Like

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by obataokenwa(m): 11:53am On Dec 29, 2016
nonsense. I hate when USA is used as a yardstick in formulating our laws. Just sit down and ponder, how will Buhari use this law if passed. By now everyone would have left the country.

12 Likes

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by brainpulse: 11:53am On Dec 29, 2016
Some times I asked why Buhari is so lenient to this senethieves. They only make laws and recommendation that favors them. Initially they wanted to make laws that will give immunity to the senators which was rejected by Nigerians.

5 Likes

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by steppins: 11:53am On Dec 29, 2016
Story.
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by hardywaltz(m): 11:53am On Dec 29, 2016
Story for the gods

They will later ammend it to include Immunity for Senators and Reps members...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Artixmentor(m): 11:53am On Dec 29, 2016
I pray they pass the bill into law

1 Like

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Abbeyme: 11:54am On Dec 29, 2016
Ok then.

Going by the proposal, I think this is a good move. I hope people would take time to read the passage before commenting or mentioning my post.

If a governor or President has used his office to influence people to do evil or take law into his own hand, he should be sent to court and bear his own cross.

With this, people in power would learn decorum. I hope this would be well-managed so that it would not disturb their constitutional duty nor disrupt government business.

7 Likes

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by tofolo(m): 11:55am On Dec 29, 2016
let them start by reducing their(NASS) ridiculous allowances.

2 Likes

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by royalfamily(m): 11:55am On Dec 29, 2016
Hahahah I want to see some governor enter kirikiri like my state governor IBIKUNLE AMOSU and the neighbouring states governor .

1 Like

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by lielbree: 11:56am On Dec 29, 2016
cool good move. This us the only way we can really fight corruption.
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Jamesmatic(m): 11:57am On Dec 29, 2016
At last!

3 Likes

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by bonfreregong: 11:57am On Dec 29, 2016
If this is allowed to the daylight, I guess it is a move towards a better naija.Only if ooo.

2 Likes

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Pavore9: 11:58am On Dec 29, 2016
The Executive will fight it.

1 Like

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Swaggzkid: 11:58am On Dec 29, 2016
Mogbe
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Mujaheeeden: 11:59am On Dec 29, 2016
Can't happen in Obodo naija

1 Like

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by kcnwaigbo: 12:00pm On Dec 29, 2016
The PDP senators will never allow it to pass.APC does not have the 2/3 majority to pass the bill.It is dead on arrival

2 Likes

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by infogenius(m): 12:00pm On Dec 29, 2016
A bill that will never be passed.
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Sunnycliff(m): 12:01pm On Dec 29, 2016
With the current politicians we have as Governors ND President, this project Is a Dead on Arrival one.

Just a confused set of leaders

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by kunlesmiles(m): 12:01pm On Dec 29, 2016
It Wud further drive dis fragile nation into chaos,we ar not ready for dat as a nation.
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by morbeta(m): 12:02pm On Dec 29, 2016
If this work, that will be the only visible achievement of the Senate since 1999.

4 Likes

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Mightyraw(m): 12:02pm On Dec 29, 2016
Likes of Ajomobi, aregbe dem are in trpuble

Foyose hOw market

1 Like

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by wisemaster(m): 12:03pm On Dec 29, 2016
Our all time Childish, Petty, Shameless and Corrupt senators are at it again.

Just because they are unable to get immunity for their corrupt leaders they resolved to their regular, childish and inordinate behaviors.

I see the handwriting of ev*l Saraki on this one.

God will judge them for being a 'Spanner' in the wheels of progress of this great nation.

2 Likes

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Runaway: 12:05pm On Dec 29, 2016
Are u telling us or u r complaining cus I dont know were u stand. But for me this is change. lol
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Nobody: 12:05pm On Dec 29, 2016
Still rich enough to pay people off lol they'll be fine. It's a start though
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by SmartyPants(m): 12:07pm On Dec 29, 2016
mikezuruki:

Meaning the opposition are criminals?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I’ll Build The Country Of Your Dreams - Tinubu On His 71st Birthday / INEC Calls One Witness, Closes Case In Obi, LP’s Petition / Central Bank Bank Illegally Funnels Huge Cash To FG - Premium Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.