Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,146 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? (5916 Views)

The Problem Of Inter-ethnic Marriage. / How Do Inter-ethnic Couples Deal With Ethnicity? / New Relationship! Inter- Racial! Want To Make It Work: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by kobe(m): 2:13am On Jan 10, 2007
Is there a problem with marrying whomever?
Are all men & women created equal so it(color, race, gender, [insert yours here]) shouldn't matter?
Is there familial/peer pressure to marry within your ethnicity/race?
Does location play a role in your decision?

Some Nigerians oversees may argue the difficulty in finding a true Nigerian guy/girl abroad worthy of their love.  (so they give up and marry whomever) - contrary others persevere and continue their search because they face possible rejection if they choose to marry just 'any person'.

i'm puzzled. I wouldn't go out on a limb and deem it wrong, but i'd prefer a nigerian woman.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by ima1(f): 6:13am On Jan 10, 2007
i don't think its wrong, you marry who you are most compartible with, who you can tolorate, who you love and are comfortable with. The heart does not dictate based on ethnic or race, so i don't think ethnicity or race should be an issue
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by nikole(f): 6:13am On Jan 17, 2007
the heart does not tell you who to fall in love with. there is nothing wrong in
marrying from a different race or culture. it all points down to ones preference.
i hope you find the one that was meant for you, regardless of their race or culture.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by kobe(m): 10:54am On Jan 17, 2007
I agree with you both, but why do most families and many in our societies reject/look down on people for these reasons?
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by English1(f): 6:03pm On Jan 17, 2007
I read recently that 1 in 10 US marriages are multi-cultural, (you are in the US, right?) so it seems that the society you live in and the families in it don't look down on it as much as you imagine.

Do you mean that your family would look down on it? Do you mean that Nigerian families/society look down on it? I think it depends on the family. Some are more open-minded than others.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by Eurphoria(f): 8:07pm On Jan 18, 2007
There is nothing wrong in twop ppl in love, blue green pink or the whole bleeding rainbow for that matter

1 Like

Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by ThoniaSlim(f): 12:19pm On Jan 19, 2007
ain't nothing wrong with it.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by JustGood(m): 12:37pm On Jan 19, 2007
if you marry woman wey no sabi as you dey do things the yeye love go pafuka one time
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by JustGood(m): 12:38pm On Jan 19, 2007
your family not want am because dem wise pass you and dem sabi say the love go pafuka when una begin live as man and woman.
if na for yanshing, me sef fit yansh any woman sha o
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by PurpleLeo(f): 9:39pm On Apr 11, 2009
Wrong? Neva! Jus make sure ure well informed about the other person's culture before you go into it. For instance, ma boyfriend's polish and I'm Nigerian. I'm learning polish and he's learning to eat Nigerian food. Learning things about eachother's culture is actually summin that brings us closer and closer. So is interracial or intercultural marriage wrong? No! Jus sacrifices to be made here and there.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by iwefactria: 9:03pm On Apr 12, 2009
it all depends on the parties involve,One of my friends got married to a white girl and they disagree alot see, my guy wanna save money to build house,buy car and some other things at home but our lovely wife doesnt care about tomrw only today buy this,change that and one day she withdrew €4000 from the guy's account to change there furniture so like what other posters have said you should study who ever u wish to marry very well nothing really wrong about it but inter-racial marriage is not really easy i mean it
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 05, 2011
Inter-ethnic to me is fine. I am not planning on dating interracially tho. I don't want to have to explain too much to my child about why they are "brown" and what they should consider themselves blah blah and bring them into this world being confused. I love black men too much and I want black children. Black men come in all flavors and ethnicities (African, American, Latino, Caribbean) so I don't see the need to look elsewhere. This is how I feel so. . .
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by MrsEve2(f): 5:09pm On Jan 05, 2011
I have nothing against interracially marriage or dating. It not for me. I like my meat medium to well done.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by queensmith: 5:16pm On Jan 05, 2011
Nothing wrong with it at all! most people are just closed minded to it! God knows theres an entire difference between dating a nigerian man and dating an english dude! a huuuuuuge difference!
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by ekubear1: 5:27pm On Jan 05, 2011
In theory there is nothing wrong with it.

But let's say you marry an African-American or white girl, they might not necessarily be interested in having your kids learn to speak your native language (in my case, Yoruba), or have names in your native language (I have zero interest in giving my kids English first names, for example.)

And what if you decide to move back to Nigeria some day? Again, most AA and white women aren't really interested in that type of stuff.

Of course, if these two issues aren't important for you, then no big deal.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by MrsEve2(f): 5:29pm On Jan 05, 2011
There are white and AA women would move to Nigeria with their husband. I won't do it.

Ayetty!!! You so silly! Hee hee!
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by ekubear1: 5:37pm On Jan 05, 2011
Mrs, Eve:

There are white and AA women would move to Nigeria with their husband.  I won't do it.
Yep, there are. Sorta talked about this issue with the chick I'm dating now. She is AA and says she can live anywhere in the world. Things aren't serious now, but I figured it makes sense to clear it up before moving further.

Funny thing is though, there are lots of Nigerian-American girls who have zero interest in moving back to Nigeria permanently  undecided  I understand their perspective, but it sorta sucks.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by MrsEve2(f): 5:39pm On Jan 05, 2011
Why would they leave a GOLDEN opportunity land?
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by ekubear1: 5:47pm On Jan 05, 2011
There is a lot of money to be made in Nigeria too. The profitability of certain business in Nigeria is mindboggling. But you need to have certain skills and especially capital to take advantage of it.

With that said, there are some very interesting opportunities in the US as well. You cannot go wrong with either country. Personally, I want to have a foot in both countries over the course of my career.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by MrsEve2(f): 5:52pm On Jan 05, 2011
There may be whatever in Nigeria and if it so important to these girls who will not go back home they would have went back. It must not be all glitter.

I don't blame the girls for seizing better opportunities in the States. Smart women indeed.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by queensmith: 6:09pm On Jan 05, 2011
Mrs, Eve:

There are white and AA women would move to Nigeria with their husband. I won't do it.

lool its truuuuu!
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by Carolece(f): 1:51am On Jan 06, 2011
It is sooooooo wrong.

God made all of us different so we can identify ourselves ethnically. It is us who "cross borders" and mix and mingle to get some people who dont even what race they belong to LOL

I belive that when people, for example a Nigerian and an American get together they totally DONT understand each other. I never dated anyone outside my race or Nationality. I want him to totally understand me, language and cultural barriers may cause problems, so I say "stick to your very own" and everything will be alright.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by MrsEve2(f): 1:57am On Jan 06, 2011
You will be surprise how many Nigerians and Americans understand each other. Black Americans with Africans will have a better uhmm what the word I wanna use "mingle" than other races however each cases are different.

Every African men that are my friends and colleagues they all say I am an African woman who have been Americanized and need my arse whoop good by an African man. Whatever.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by Carolece(f): 2:00am On Jan 06, 2011
Belive me, you think they do, but they dont. Different worlds. There are so many things that they dont understand or cant stand about each other LOL
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by MrsEve2(f): 2:10am On Jan 06, 2011
I can only speak from my experience so far so good.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by Carolece(f): 2:37am On Jan 06, 2011
I C lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by German1234(f): 5:12am On Jan 06, 2011
I think interracial marriages are WONDERFUL!!!!!

Blacks and whites dont live on different planets - this is one world! As long as love is present, everything else does not matter! And mixed children are truly blessed to have two different cultures so close. I wish I was mixed, But what can I say, Cant change your genes

So the question to wether wrong/right, then my answer is ; It is BEYOND CORRECT!

1 Like

Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by anonymous6(f): 6:44pm On Dec 09, 2011
Mrs, Eve:

There are white and AA women would move to Nigeria with their husband.  I won't do it.

True but very few of them; I can tell you the stories of some non-Nigerian women who have refused to go to Nigeria with their nigerian spouces and it lead to divorce among other things
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by anonymous6(f): 7:10pm On Dec 09, 2011
kobe:

Is there a problem with marrying whomever?
Are all men & women created equal so it(color, race, gender, [insert yours here]) shouldn't matter?
Is there familial/peer pressure to marry within your ethnicity/race?
Does location play a role in your decision?

Some Nigerians oversees may argue the difficulty in finding a true Nigerian guy/girl abroad worthy of their love.  (so they give up and marry whomever) - contrary others persevere and continue their search because they face possible rejection if they choose to marry just 'any person'.

i'm puzzled. I wouldn't go out on a limb and deem it wrong, but i'd prefer a nigerian woman.

For me personally I wouldn't do it because I don't want biracial/bi-ethnic children, I want them to be Yoruba all the way

I feel if you are somebody that doesn't care about moving back and/or investing in Nigeria, you want to assimilate into the western world you are in, and could careless if your kids carrying on the culture and etc then go for it but if your feelings are reverse then marrying outside your ethnic/racial group may not be the best option for you.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by Eiregirl(f): 12:44pm On Dec 12, 2011
Why the hell would it be wrong Is marriage not about love & understanding, commitment & compromise? Do these things know colour? So only marriages of the same race / colour have all of the above or are capable of having all of the above? As the for mixed race children, I think it is fantastic for children to come from parents of different cultures, background, languages etc.

1 Like

Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by MrsChima1(f): 3:58pm On Dec 12, 2011
Marriage is also about preferences. We all have preferences whether we want to be honest about it or not.

Some people do interracial and some people don't. I would be glad when people stop giving interracial dating and marriage so much HIGHLIGHT.

Interracial dating and marriages face the same problem as racial dating and marriages.
Re: Inter-racial/inter-ethnic Marriage Is It Wrong? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 12, 2011
i don't know about interracial.

I am personally am not interested in that but inter-tribal is not
an issue for me. Sadly some folks would rather date outside of their
race than date others in their race but from another ethnicity.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Check My Profile Pix Hit Or Mis / Sweet: Lady With Killer Curves Sets The Internet On Fire With Her Steamy Photos / La Hot Babe - Amazing Photos Of Yao Nice Eudoxie.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.