Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,572 members, 7,958,768 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 11:14 PM

What Happens When Your Girlfriend's Relatives Or Friends Don't Like You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Happens When Your Girlfriend's Relatives Or Friends Don't Like You? (1101 Views)

Woman Loses Husband, 3 Kids And 5 Relatives In Boat Accident In US. Pics / I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl / What's The Best Gift You've Ever Received Either From Family Or Friends? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happens When Your Girlfriend's Relatives Or Friends Don't Like You? by laivwire(m): 6:19am On Dec 14, 2016
This is something really personal and I will appreciate some mature responses. I met my girlfriend almost a year ago. She's an angel literally, beautiful, 'curvy' (plus size Figure 8 that draws a lot of attention) and has a boisterous character. I'm a little introverted, lean but not skinny, I'll say I have above average looks too. Talking of class, her father happens to be rich, my family is also comfortable however but I'm the only one this far and Ive been maintaining my affairs literally as a man. My folks reside in other regions. She has an average paying job and I'm self employed although business has been low this year.

Now the issue, we've come under a lot of tongue lash of recent. We attended a function at her hometown recently which I attended and met a lot of her folks and old friends and thats where trouble started. They all complained that we don't fit, she's too fine for me, her class is too high for me, I must have jazzed her, what did she see in this lanky dude etc. They never said this to my face but the comments are getting too much on her its becoming almost impossible to ignore. She's become the topic of discussion everywhere they gather and its really killing. Her uncles, cousins, friends all claim she deserves something better, her ex is more handsome etc She claps backs at many of the comments but she's human, it will get to her one way or the other. Its like she's the only one who wants the relationship in her family.

I'm very cool with her mum and sisters and I'm treated well when I visit. Financially, I may not have been so strong financially to meet her needs. I try occasionally but she's never complained about that, she understands and comes through a lot of times especially when things are tight. I'm not a leech though, I've never fed off her and I'm proud to state that. We love each other and financially, theres hope that things will improve but the challenges seems very daunting. I'm getting scared that those reactions may frustrate her out of the relationship as friends and relatives are always trying to introduce new rich dudes to her every time they get a chance. They all condemn the relationship with that small guy, telling her she's not serious etc

I've reassured her of my love severally and remained that strong man in her life but I'm getting confused on what step to take because I'm not ready suck up to any friend or lose her to any other man. The pressure is becoming unbearable and I feel I can't just stand by and watch. Although they are all entitled to their opinions but continuous lies to the mind may very soon start sounding like the gospel truth and this is what I fear the most.

Mature inputs will be highly appreciated.

NB: We should be meeting my folks early next year.

1 Like

Re: What Happens When Your Girlfriend's Relatives Or Friends Don't Like You? by talktonase(m): 6:35am On Dec 14, 2016
If you love her and she loves you,go on to marry her.There are two things no man on earth can impose on you.Your religion and your life partner..

1 Like

Re: What Happens When Your Girlfriend's Relatives Or Friends Don't Like You? by izito(m): 6:35am On Dec 14, 2016
same tin happnd to me.....u just av to stay strong. nd probably plan taking her to d alter

how many pple fyn boi dun help
Re: What Happens When Your Girlfriend's Relatives Or Friends Don't Like You? by lilmax(m): 6:38am On Dec 14, 2016
Que Sera,Sera.....don't stress

1 Like

Re: What Happens When Your Girlfriend's Relatives Or Friends Don't Like You? by Nobody: 6:41am On Dec 14, 2016
Stay Strong. True love will prevail.
Re: What Happens When Your Girlfriend's Relatives Or Friends Don't Like You? by dangotesmummy: 8:11am On Dec 14, 2016
Are you marrying people's opinions or her undecided undecided.you better don't let peoples opinion give you low self esteem because Nigerians like badmouthing a lot.if you think she's too good for you then she is but iF you think you both deserve each other then beautiful.

Bottonline your thoughts define you. If you Take control of your thoughts,you Take control of your life
Re: What Happens When Your Girlfriend's Relatives Or Friends Don't Like You? by byvan03: 9:41am On Dec 14, 2016
As long as you know that your love isn't induced by your financial incapability, keep reassuring her of your love. Let nature take its course, if she is yours, she will stay.
Re: What Happens When Your Girlfriend's Relatives Or Friends Don't Like You? by veronicababy: 10:36am On Dec 14, 2016
Na wa o
Re: What Happens When Your Girlfriend's Relatives Or Friends Don't Like You? by damlax: 11:57pm On Jan 12, 2017
Please I was blocked in my post can we talk on WhatsApp drop your number
Am talking about my post about a new start up I created thank you
WhatsApp number 08103411741
Re: What Happens When Your Girlfriend's Relatives Or Friends Don't Like You? by damlax: 11:59pm On Jan 12, 2017
damlax:
Please I was blocked in my post can we talk on WhatsApp drop your number
Am talking about my post about a new start up I created thank you
WhatsApp number 08103411741
Laivwire
Re: What Happens When Your Girlfriend's Relatives Or Friends Don't Like You? by baby124: 4:27am On Jan 13, 2017
Don't talk with anyone offline.

My advice to you is to focus on your girl. Tell her to decide if she wants to be with you. If she does then she has the power to stop all those unnecessary comments. I can see such talk is beginning to affect your self esteem. Tell her you don't care about those opinions and she should not bring them to you again. That she should decide herself to either go with her family or stay with you where she completely stops peddling useless unproductive gist up and down. Be firm about it. She didn't need their opinion before she agreed for you. If she is having doubts about being with you, let her go and find someone else. You will find your own person. There is nothing wrong with you, your stature or your financial situation.

3 Likes

Re: What Happens When Your Girlfriend's Relatives Or Friends Don't Like You? by laivwire(m): 9:34am On Jan 13, 2017
baby124:
Don't talk with anyone offline.

My advice to you is to focus on your girl. Tell her to decide if she wants to be with you. If she does then she has the power to stop all those unnecessary comments. I can see such talk is beginning to affect your self esteem. Tell her you don't care about those opinions and she should not bring them to you again. That she should decide herself to either go with her family or stay with you where she completely stops peddling useless unproductive gist up and down. Be firm about it. She didn't need their opinion before she agreed for you. If she is having doubts about being with you, let her go and find someone else. You will find your own person. There is nothing wrong with you, your stature or your financial situation.
Many thanks for this.

Thanks to everyone who took time to post some advice. All taken in. I got a good paying job early this year also.

Thanks again

(1) (Reply)

Photo: A Blessed And Lucky child Who Has Born To See His Great Greatgrand Mother / My Girlfriend Hiding Her Place / How To Keep Your Husband/partner From Side Chicks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.