Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,825 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor (6207 Views)

Osun Pensioners In Fresh Protest Over Non Payment Of Pensions, Gratuities / Kenneth Okonkwo For Enugu Governor Billboard Spotted Ahead Of 2019 / Policemen Batter Children Protesting Unpaid Gratuities Of Late Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by james669: 2:34pm On Dec 19, 2016

Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State on Sunday expressed worry over the huge pension and gratuity burden successive administrations had been battling with since the state’s creation.

Ugwuanyi, who spoke at a forum of the Correspondents’ Chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalists in Enugu, said the state had the highest pension burden in the South East.

“The effect of pension and gratuities on us are so high and more than any other state in the region and this arises from the status of the Coal City as the headquarters of the former eastern region,” he said.
“Today, there is no money to meet some of these obligations and many more but the masses do not want to hear that.”

The governor also spoke about the infrastructure problems, saying the state had some of the worst rural road networks with more than 47 communities largely inaccessible due to absence of link roads, culverts and bridges.

He explained that the landscape of most of the rural communities was so bad that the people in the affected areas do not bury their dead during the rainy season.

He said, “There are several communities in the state that have not seen earth moving equipment for road construction in the past 40 years.

“Most local government areas are finding it difficult to pay salaries not to talk of construction of roads, but in all of these challenges, we are grateful to God.”

Ugwuanyi said his administration was ready to face the challenges and provide good link roads across the state.

He described the media as a major development partner since the inception of his administration.

Ugwuanyi said that his administration was not unmindful of the expectations from the masses, adding that payment of salaries was now the major indicator of governance in the face of the current hardship.

“I thank you for your support and for giving us the platform for development and I pray that in the discharge of our duties we will not be charged with actions we cannot defend,” he said.

Source: http://nignews.com.ng/no-money-to-pay-pensions-gratuities-enugu-governor/
Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by SWORD419(m): 2:46pm On Dec 19, 2016
k, thank God we dont have such problems in kano

i dedicate my FTC to Gov. ganduje

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by Nobody: 2:46pm On Dec 19, 2016
sword419 you think say u get sense abi.... chaiiiii
Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by Nobody: 2:46pm On Dec 19, 2016
Vvf
Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by SWORD419(m): 2:46pm On Dec 19, 2016
FTC WO HOOO
Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by paulchineduN(m): 2:47pm On Dec 19, 2016
We last had governor in May 2015

11 Likes

Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by Godprotectigbos(f): 2:49pm On Dec 19, 2016
Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by Godprotectigbos(f): 2:49pm On Dec 19, 2016
Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by GoodyOG: 2:50pm On Dec 19, 2016
hmmm...so na wetin they go dy tell pipu...amy ways try pau up or.....
to b continued
Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by Corrinthians(m): 2:51pm On Dec 19, 2016
There would never be shortage of funds for these crimimals when it comes to security votes, but there can hardly be money when it comes to rewarding our elders for the sacrifices they made when they were like us.

Such a pity.

Things like these are the reason why everyone wants to steal ad much as possible today because pension s hardly a means of survival, as opposed to regular salaries.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by Dinirojones(m): 2:51pm On Dec 19, 2016
Can u imagine this rubbish...i think most of these state governors are just been stupid ....all most nigerians do is blame the federal government...
pple papa pension naim u wan use play abi......
ThankGod say nor be osun state children of hate for nor allow us hear word....

2 Likes

Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by BlackOnassis(m): 2:54pm On Dec 19, 2016
I thought our SE brethren say they arent dependent on oil money.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by Tytylion(m): 2:56pm On Dec 19, 2016
Foolish Politician
Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by Eibams60(m): 2:56pm On Dec 19, 2016
Enugu and plateau state. I hardly hear from their Governor
Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by Oviconji: 2:57pm On Dec 19, 2016
Ugwanyi should have fear of God, he should stop telling stories that touch and pay these poor people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by PrinceZahzah(m): 3:01pm On Dec 19, 2016
cool grin
Gburugburu grin

I Love this Man. U harly hear his name. He's not the noise maker type Like OkoroAusa tongue
First Nsukka governor and He is creating Good roads for his people. Even with the recession On,he has paid 98% of the state workers.

#MindYou
AmNotFromEnuguBut I Envy them

3 Likes

Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by Day169: 3:02pm On Dec 19, 2016
Hello Mr Governor, I think some applied wisdom would have helped in managing this situation, at least better than the unguarded statements that have become characteristic of governors when it comes to the issue of pensions and gratuities of retirees who put in decades of service to the Fatherland.
These retirees are old enough to be parents to these politicians, but what do we see? They languish in abject poverty while these governors go away with annual pension benefits enough to feed all the retirees in the state.
What a monumental shame & disgrace.
They should remember "Karma". ..what goes around?

4 Likes

Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by SmartMugu: 3:03pm On Dec 19, 2016
So, pensions can't be paid because roads need to be built? Does that make any sense? So, pensioners should die of starvation because the governor chose roads over their welfare? Why not just say you're only interested in inflated projects that will translate to extra personal income?

3 Likes

Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 19, 2016
chukwukahenry:

you took your time to type all these. see what unemployment can cause
and you that took your time to read or scan it...nah unemployment cause am?? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by megbu: 3:14pm On Dec 19, 2016
Governor Ugwuanyi go to the five star hotels in the coal city and collect the money. Sullivan Chime was an unrepentant club man and womaniser,that is where the money is. He painted an already beautiful Enugu city and left out the dirty job of connecting the very remote rural communities in Enugu state to God knows who. Calculate how much u need to off set the pensioner's bills call Chimaroke Nnamani and Sullivan Chime to a meeting let them return the people's money. Ike Ekweremmadu, Jim Nwobodo and all should also man up. Ditto for all states that can not pay salaries and pensions. The collective wealth of that state is sleeping cozily in some people's bank account.Why are we so wicked in this world? What is wrong with us humans?

5 Likes

Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by KaptainAfrika: 3:17pm On Dec 19, 2016
But there is always money to pay your salary and allowances. I don't blame the governors, you are only morally responsible to those who put you in power, so long as they are happy, you will be happy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by Nobody: 3:18pm On Dec 19, 2016
uzobaby:
and you that took your time to read or scan it...nah unemployment cause am?? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

i did not read it bro
Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by solution2016: 3:21pm On Dec 19, 2016
The present economic recession notwithstanding, the governor has been performing above average especially in areas physical infrastructural development and human development such as prompt payment of staff salaries. May God continue to direct his actions IJN.

1 Like

Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by Raymysterio(m): 3:22pm On Dec 19, 2016
Hmmmm

And you have money to host Sultan of Sokoto... #Issorai
Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by Adebendel: 3:29pm On Dec 19, 2016
I no fit laugh

Re: No Money To Pay Pensions, Gratuities – Enugu Governor by seguntijan(m): 3:35pm On Dec 19, 2016
Before you mock anybody for investing in MMM, think about this.
I invested all my Savings from NYSC in Savanah Bank, The Bank Packed up and left me with Nothing. I bought 10,000 shares in Transcorp when Obasanjo and "Madam Stock Exchange" initially sold the fraud to Nigerians but up till today, no shares were allocated to me and my money was not refunded. I remember my then employer deducting money from my wages and paying into government owned Housing Fund and also into the National Pension Fund, the 2 bodies were dissolved and my money dissolved with it. My Father and millions of Nigerians also paid into the same funds for more than 30 years and nothing came out of it.
Some state governments are owing their workers up to 1 year wages, the federal government and some parastatals are not different.
My father-in-law gave his life to NTA as a photojournalist travelling all over the country to cover events. Many years after his death, his widow is still waiting for NTA to pay his entitlements.
Remember how government came up with idea of community banks and encouraged Nigerians to patronise them, remember Allied Bank, Lobi Bank, Abacus Bank, City Express Bank, Assurance Bank of Nigeria, Hallmark Bank Plc, Ivory Merchant Bank, Lead Merchant Bank, Metropolitan Bank, All States Trust Bank, Coop and Commerce Bank, Commerce Bank, Credite Bank, Pinnacle Commercial Bank, Kapital Merchant Bank, Ivory Merchant Bank, Prime Merchant Bank, Republic Bank, Eagle Bank Plc, Liberty Bank, Progress Bank, North South Bank, Pan African Bank; remember pensioners who had their money in Societe Generale, dont forget the traders whose lives were destroyed by Gulf Bank, and many more too numerous to mention. Should we blame these people for keeping their hard earned money in NDIC insured banks ? Dont ask me about NDIC please.
On a different scale, remember how many hours you spent at the polling booth to vote for Buhari, remember how we all campaigned vigorously to remove Jonathan and how many people you encouraged to vote for PMB. What has come out of it for us all ?
How about the money you worked hard for and contributed when your Churches /Mosques wanted to establish those private universities and now your children are excluded from the qualitative education they offer because you can not afford the tuition fees ? What do you think about the money you pay to NEPA or whatever it is called now every month regardless of whether they supply you electricity or not ?
How are these different from MMM.
I agree that some people are into MMM because of greed but most of those who invested in MMM did so because they have been duped by some government backed schemes in the past. There is poverty in the land and people are looking for ways to survive. They knew the risk they were getting into and were all willing to take the risk. Afterall, living in Nigeria at all at this moment is a risk and working for the government is also a risk slightly lower than investing in MMM.
The truth is every Nigerian living in Nigeria is into one form of MMM or the other and I do not see any sense in mocking anybody for taking a risk, as long as it is with their own money. Afterall, Nigeria itself is a Ponzi scheme.
*This was copied*✔

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Under Tinubu Vs Lagos Under Fashola / We’ll Soon Review Procurement Act — Lawan / Pencom: Assets, Account Details Concealed For 8 Years – New Telegraph

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.