Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,858 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:06 PM

Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu (11657 Views)

After Buhari Seal Oyegun’s Fate Oshiomhole, Onu, Nnamani Favoured For APC Chair / Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant / Ogbonnaya Onu Rides In A Wooden Car (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by Kemperor: 10:36pm On Dec 21, 2016
The Federal Government says it will embark on building of nuclear plants and careful application of nuclear energy to meet the needs of the country.

Ogbonnaya Onu, the Minister of Science and Technology, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, on Wednesday in Abuja.
Mr. Onu said that nuclear energy would bridge the energy gap needed to enhance agriculture, advance health, improve education and boost manufacturing in the country.

He said that the Federal Government had started making arrangement with the Russian State Nuclear Corporation, Rosatom, to actualise its dream of application of nuclear energy.
He said that the reason the country chose the Russian state nuclear corporation was because of its essential experience in nuclear technology.
According to the minister, Rosatom will prepare the agreement on the construction of a nuclear power plant in the country.
Onu said that the country would in turn prepare an agreement on the development of the project which would determine further steps on the construction of the nuclear power plant.
“Nuclear power is considered a prominent alternative and a more environmentally beneficial solution since it emits far less greenhouse gases during electricity generation than coal or other traditional power plants.

“It is a manageable source of generating electricity and has large power-generating capacity that can meet industrial and city needs.
“It is not like the low-power technologies such as solar that might meet only local, residential or office needs but cannot generate power for heavy manufacturing,“ he said.

He said that the envisaged project would be a success because the plant would be fed from the uranium deposit in the country.
(NAN)

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/218572-nigeria-build-nuclear-plants-minister.html

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by Ponponkon: 10:38pm On Dec 21, 2016
Nice one Dr Ogbonnaya Onu. Please follow it up to fruition

https://www.nairaland.com/3532199/pictures-two-new-highways-akwa

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by globalresource: 10:40pm On Dec 21, 2016
shocked. Where?

Building is not the issue. We lack maintenace culture as a nation and we cant take that culture into building of nuclear facilities

23 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by Blue3k(m): 10:43pm On Dec 21, 2016
It's been thought about for long time. I don't trust this if the government runs it in any capacity. I feel like I read this story 3 times already.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by hammerT: 10:45pm On Dec 21, 2016
As far as buhari build it in katsina, i have no problems.

Kano is also a good site. Down south, lagos is not bad, dey power.

Even Abuja is ok.

40 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by Warhawk(m): 11:10pm On Dec 21, 2016
Talk is Cheap

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by richidinho(m): 11:12pm On Dec 21, 2016
Good, but build 5 in Katsina

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by laudate: 11:31pm On Dec 21, 2016
Ponponkon:
Nice one Dr Ogbonnaya Onu. Please follow it up to fruition

https://www.nairaland.com/3532199/pictures-two-new-highways-akwa

God forbid!! angry They should NOT try building such things here... do they want to kill our people? sadWe have not yet mastered the basics of disposing our environmental wastes properly, which is why a lot of our streets and cities are an eyesore. So how on earth will the radioactive, toxic waste generated by these nuclear plants, be handled??! shocked

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by cliquevibes(m): 11:36pm On Dec 21, 2016
Hehehehehe, Nigeria has nt finished producing pencil finish, na Nuclear plant e na won do... Kontinu

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by mykeljosef: 11:43pm On Dec 21, 2016
man.. naija has finish....imagine boko haram with nuclear weapons

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by Horus(m): 11:44pm On Dec 21, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUPhCsQUpm4

Nigeria to move to Nuclear power - NNRA Chief

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by Mujaheeeden: 12:15am On Dec 22, 2016
What a great achievement if buhari builds it in Katsina and Sokoto

20 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by Sibrah: 1:49am On Dec 22, 2016
It should be sited in the North. The south has oil to power heavy plants already.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by asorocker: 1:56am On Dec 22, 2016
This is the best Idea by the APC government so far, they should endeavour to site it in Lagos and Kano as this would solve the perenial electricity problem of the 2 most populous states in Nigeria , it will also serve to boost the industrialization of the 2 states and deepen the cost effective manufacture of goods and services and reduce the quantum waste in Diesel.

This is the best News so far i have heard this year.

Kudos to the best APC Ministers in Buhari's cabinet and a first class Engineer.

Please this 2 Nuclear plants can only be meaningful if they are sighted in the Lagos and kano states as they are core APC states and should not be wasted in wailers states as the wailers are in opposition parties.

23 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by GodIsFoolish: 2:16am On Dec 22, 2016
I heard this same news 5 years ago

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by RonJeremy: 2:55am On Dec 22, 2016
Nigeria government always comes up with this building nuclear power station rubbish whenever they runout of lies to tell their starving masses....... They should find a lie more original and interesting like Buhari has found his GCE O'level certificate.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by limeta(f): 4:15am On Dec 22, 2016
I no fit laff
Foolish government and cheap talk
Back to life ibeg maggi give me salt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by klbakare(m): 4:41am On Dec 22, 2016
Promise and fail, talk talk confused bunch
Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by Emekamex(m): 4:47am On Dec 22, 2016
With no current work towards this, I doubt this will be feasible before 2019 or even 2023.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by Maghan37: 6:41am On Dec 22, 2016
Doomsday minister with d level of corruption in this country you want to introduce something that will kill us all due to lack of maintenancegrin.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by iokpebholo: 7:16am On Dec 22, 2016
Confused govt we never fit do common bicycle u dey form for nuclear mata, abi una wan clear grass for 1billion again?

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by EternalTruths: 7:21am On Dec 22, 2016
Build it in Katsina

Buhari can borrow $100b for it as long as it will judiciously used

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by omowolewa: 7:29am On Dec 22, 2016
Now that the South East are been neglected, a project like this would be better sited there. Something like in Obingwa.

No qoute me oo o because Terms & Conditions MAY apply

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by Nobody: 7:42am On Dec 22, 2016
As much as i support the move, i'm scared that maintenance would major issue here.
I fear we won't have another Chernobyl here in Nigeria.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by Horus(m): 7:58am On Dec 22, 2016
Nuclear power is not the answer and it produces enormous amounts of toxic radioactive waste, some of which is dangerous for thousands of years.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by sinkhole: 8:18am On Dec 22, 2016
ibrodex:
As much as i support the move, i'm scared that maintenance would major issue here.
I fear we won't have another Chernobyl here in Nigeria.
I have been hearing of this nuclear bruhahah since Babangida's regime and up till now they are still at the planning stage angry we talk too much in this country, I sincerely do not believe that any nuclear plant is being planned, so @ibrodex, no need to fear, things that do not exist do not explode grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by Millz404(m): 8:21am On Dec 22, 2016
to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to

All their achievements are in the future...... Always trying to say something not to look stup.id and confused which they really are

I also guess FG also plans to make Nigeria richer than America, dubai, and all of europe put together before the end of the year

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by veekid(m): 8:21am On Dec 22, 2016

buhari sef
Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by omooba969(m): 8:21am On Dec 22, 2016
Ok
Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by Nobody: 8:22am On Dec 22, 2016
u said u are planing on producing pencil, now its nuclear plant, JOKE OF THE CENTURYgrin

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Build Nuclear Plants – Onu by Okundaye4(m): 8:22am On Dec 22, 2016
Haaaaa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senate Halts Port Harcourt Refinery Concession To Agip / Tofa: Buhari Hasn’t Fulfilled All His Promises Because He Lacks The Right Team / VP Osinbajo Commissions Shared Facility For MSMEs, New Power Station In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.