Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,465 members, 7,812,421 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement (29899 Views)

Okocha Reveals Why He Never Won African, World Best Player Awards / Heart Problem Forces Abdullahi Nura Into Early Retirement From Football / Sergio Ramos Reveals Reason For Celebrating UCL Victory With Nigerian Flag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by kelvee(m): 7:30am On Dec 22, 2016
The former midfield maestro stated that not getting enough minutes on the pitch hastened his decision to quit the round leather game
Austin Jay Jay Okocha has attributed his decision to retire active football early to lack of enough playing time.
The ex-Nigeria international who dazzled the footballing world with his sizzling skills and breathtaking performances made the shock decision to leave the game in 2008. According to the Olympic Gold medallist, reduced minutes on the pitch of play triggered his exile from the round leather game, at the age of 34.
“I must confess that [not getting a lot of playing time] was one of the main reasons why I retired from playing at a very young age,” Okocha told media men at a press conference organised by Star Times.
“I believe that it is not worth it to train from Monday to Friday just to have 20 minutes on the pitch or sit on the bench on Saturday. I am very competitive.”
The midfielder who last represented Nigeria in 2006, appeared for the Super Eagles 75 times with 14 goals to his name.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4093/nigerian-football/2016/12/22/30719312/okocha-reveals-reason-for-early-retirement

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by eezeribe(m): 7:43am On Dec 22, 2016
Legend who loved playing for small clubs... No wonder he never won CAF AFRICAN FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR.You should have been up there with Samuel Eto'o, Didier Drogba and Yaya Toure in terms of the individual Accolade...
But thank God for BBC that always recognized you with their own version of the Award

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by olafunny(m): 9:44am On Dec 22, 2016
Okocha was lucky to have come during the time when government cared about the welfare of the players. When allowances were not delayed. When players were recongnized for their great performances.

Now the story has changed. Players now have to larment and rally round with placards before their pleas are heard. Failed NFF led by failed president in country under a failed government led by a failed president.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by NLbeachparty: 9:44am On Dec 22, 2016
Take it or leave it, Jay Jay is still the best footballer that came out of Africa. Respect!
We are also going to have beach soccer at the nairaland beach party. Coming soon

For more information on the nairaland beach party check my signature/profile. You don't want to miss this

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by shrewd1(m): 9:44am On Dec 22, 2016
WE MISS THE TRICKERY HIS LEGS BRING.

I HOPE HE POURS THAT ANOINTING ON IWOBI

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by joeace2020(m): 9:44am On Dec 22, 2016
ok..Playing time at small clubs? Hmmm

Meanwhile iv got a PS4 for sale

Check here https://www.nairaland.com/3532868/ps4-sale
Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by saint047(m): 9:45am On Dec 22, 2016
Be who you are, not the world wants you to be.
Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by saint047(m): 9:45am On Dec 22, 2016
P
Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by charleseee(f): 9:45am On Dec 22, 2016
Lie

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by DrGabbi(m): 9:45am On Dec 22, 2016
He retired way too early!
Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by nairaman66(m): 9:45am On Dec 22, 2016
Okocha

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 22, 2016
Okocha

3 Likes

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 22, 2016
Well to some ppl, he is a legend. To me..... He is just a regular guy.

Someone who cant boast of any cool trophy. Legend my foot

Anyways

Drabeey was HERE

2 Likes

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by samwayne154(m): 9:46am On Dec 22, 2016
how many comments are here sef undecided check my signature joor
Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 22, 2016
"so good that they named him twice"

2 Likes

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by johnshagb(m): 9:46am On Dec 22, 2016
Say that to mikel

1 Like

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by Mikes81: 9:46am On Dec 22, 2016
Ok characters can still win us the world Cup

Yes Alex Iwobi Okocha
Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by beneviv(f): 9:46am On Dec 22, 2016
V
Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by FYB(m): 9:47am On Dec 22, 2016
Because you like money more than your career

1 Like

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by wisdomagbai(m): 9:47am On Dec 22, 2016
Check out this important trend that did not made front page https://www.nairaland.com/3532625/why-not-getting-much-traffic
Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 22, 2016
He is mentoring others

1 Like

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by Seunpaul01(m): 9:47am On Dec 22, 2016
This his reason is not enough. There are other team that will surely need his service. What should obi say because his own is even worse.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by zeusdgrt(m): 9:48am On Dec 22, 2016
Oga go sitdown for dirty,If you play well dem go gv u more playing time.
Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by fuckingAyaya(m): 9:48am On Dec 22, 2016
shut up na pride
Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by Milanfan(m): 9:48am On Dec 22, 2016
eezeribe:
Legend who loved playing for small clubs... No wonder he never won CAF AFRICAN FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR

When did you start watching football?

3 Likes

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by Freshvibesblog(m): 9:49am On Dec 22, 2016
humans
Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by saracus(f): 9:49am On Dec 22, 2016
Hmmmmmmm
Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by Nobody: 9:49am On Dec 22, 2016
He is way above that age. I guess his real age prompted his early exit.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by tonio2wo: 9:49am On Dec 22, 2016
eezeribe:
Legend who loved playing for small clubs... No wonder he never won CAF AFRICAN FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR

he plays for fun, for the love of football.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by olafunny(m): 9:50am On Dec 22, 2016
wisdomagbai:
Check out this important trend that did not made front page https://www.nairaland.com/3532625/why-not-getting-much-traffic
Error
Re: Okocha Reveals Reason For Early Retirement by collitexnaira(m): 9:50am On Dec 22, 2016
His reason doesn't sound genuine

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Neymar Visits Recovering Pele In Hospital / Final Three World Best Players Nominees (fifa Ballon D Or) / Olga Diyachenko Celebrates Mikel Obi After Super Eagles Beat Argentina (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.