Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,069 members, 7,852,627 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:07 PM

What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong (4055 Views)

What Is Atheism? / Is Atheism Gaining Ground? / Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by PDBonline: 7:18pm On Dec 22, 2016
Seun:

The meaning of atheism in Greek is completely irrelevant since "atheism" is an English word. It hurts to have to explain something so obvious. You can't prove that God exists by messing with meaning of the word "atheism". The word's current meaning is clear. Accept it and move on.
Everything that has "atheism" written by a someone who is not an atheist is not necessarily an attack on atheists bros.
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by ScepticalPyrrho: 7:22pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

1. Atheism is not the absence of belief in God(s)

2. Atheism is not the lack of belief in God(s)

3. Atheism is not showing indifference towards the existence of God(s) - Its called Apatheism

4. When you have no knowledge of God(s) , it does not make you an atheist

5. Implicit atheism is not atheism , explicit atheism is what atheism is - the conscious explicit rejection of God(s)

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by EyeHateGod: 7:24pm On Dec 22, 2016
ScepticalPyrrho:
Guy I already post this screenshot up there...
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:27pm On Dec 22, 2016
ScepticalPyrrho:
-

Atheists boast of skepticism and critical thinking but when you impugn their foolish beliefs , they want you to just accept it and move on . Atheism is NOT the absence/lack of belief in God , it is the rejection(refusal to accept) the existence of God(s) . Atheism simply means there is no God(s) .

Brother P , Diagoras was avow about his atheistic beliefs that's why he was regarded as the first atheist in history . You have to consciously reject theism or the existence of God(s) to be an atheist .
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by EyeHateGod: 7:30pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Exactly ! I once raised an alarm sometime . The deists in Greece were also seen as atheists because they rejected the gods worshiped by the larger society . In fact , in those days , anyone who rejected the gods worshiped by the larger society were regarded as atheists grin .
Clearly you misunderstood...

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:32pm On Dec 22, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Clearly you misunderstood...

We are saying the same thing bro .
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by ScepticalPyrrho: 7:33pm On Dec 22, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Guy I already post this screenshot up there...
Sorry, I just wanted to put it in KingEbukasBlog face again.

The guy just likes making a fool of theists.
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:34pm On Dec 22, 2016
ScepticalPyrrho:

Dude , if you can't understand what I'm saying then don't mention me
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by EyeHateGod: 7:36pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Atheists boast of skepticism and critical thinking but when you impugn their foolish beliefs , they want you to just accept it and move on . Atheism is NOT the absence/lack of belief in God , it is the rejection(refusal to accept) the existence of God(s) . Atheism simply means there is no God(s) .

Atheism doesn't mean there is no God like I said b4 you have no right to define what Atheism is I have provided you with videos, links and screenshots to what Atheism is its either you accept it or not ur refusal to accept it doesn't change its meaning..

Brother P , Diagoras was avow about his atheistic beliefs that's why he was regarded as the first atheist in history . You have to consciously reject theism or the existence of God(s) to be an atheist .
Diogoras was the first Atheist To have written something to indicate that he was an Atheist....this doesn't make him the first Atheist also as we wouldn't know who the first feminist was....Stop Being Ignorant...

2 Likes

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by ScepticalPyrrho: 7:38pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Ebuka just check the meaning of mean.

I thought you have improved your definition of terms.
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by dalaman: 7:45pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Will you stop making things up. The truth is nothing much is known about the nature of his atheism apart from the fact that he opwnly rejected the national Gods and told people to stop participating in religious rituals and rites.

Philosophy

"Little is known for certain concerning his philosophical views or the nature of his atheism
. All that's known for certain on the point is that Diagoras was one of those philosophers who, like Socrates, certainly gave offence by their views concerning the worship of the national gods."

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagoras_of_Melos

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by EyeHateGod: 7:45pm On Dec 22, 2016
ScepticalPyrrho:

He has a problem with a Child being an Atheist which I have Explained....Wikipedia gave 3 not 1 o 3 definition of What Atheism is, It even says "In a Board Sense" Atheism is this.....Ebuka now is bring irrelevant things into the definition. Watin concern me with implicit and explicit Atheism?

2 Likes

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by dalaman: 7:47pm On Dec 22, 2016
EyeHateGod:

He has a problem with a Child being an Atheist which I have Explained....Wikipedia gave 3 not 1 o 3 definition of What Atheism is, It even says "In a Board Sense" Atheism is this.....Ebuka now is bring irrelevant things into the definition. Watin concern me with implicit and explicit Atheism?

According to kingebuksblog atheism is what he defines it to be.

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:47pm On Dec 22, 2016
dalaman:

Will you stop making things up. The truth is nothing much is known about the nature of his atheism apart from the fact that he opwnly rejected the national Gods and told people to stop participating in religious rituals and rites.

Philosophy

"Little is known for certain concerning his philosophical views or the nature of his atheism
. All that's known for certain on the point is that Diagoras was one of those philosophers who, like Socrates, certainly gave offence by their views concerning the worship of the national gods."

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagoras_of_Melos

How does this refute my post ?
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by EyeHateGod: 7:50pm On Dec 22, 2016
dalaman:

You day mind am? but the Hypocrisy is When a Christian does something which is Evil they would start defining Christianity for You that it is this it is that the person wasn't a Christian even go as far as claiming Christianity is not A Religion! Bunch of Hypocrites...

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:53pm On Dec 22, 2016
dalaman:

grin

I already gave names of people who have rejected Implicit atheism in the past .

Because I know about Christ does not make me a Christian . For me to be a Christian, I have to confess my sins and openly accept Jesus as my lord and personal savior , and live my life as Christ adjures me too .

For you to be an atheist , you have to be conscious about your rejection of God(s) . You have to accept that there is(are) no God(s) to be an atheist .

Babies/people who have no knowledge of God are not atheists because they do not consciously reject God or consciously avow that there is no God .

How any of you cannot understand this is beyond me . I think dalaman you understand but you are being disingenuous as usual .
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by ScepticalPyrrho: 7:53pm On Dec 22, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Lmao.

The guy is just being ridiculous.

He has only succeeded in making theistical arguments more irrational.

He should just quit his mischief.

2 Likes

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by dalaman: 7:55pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

grin

I already gave names of people who have rejected Implicit atheism in the past .

And that remains their opinion.

Because I know about Christ does not make me a Christian . For me to be a Christian, I have to confess my sins and openly accept Jesus as my lord and personal savior , and live my life as Christ adjures me too .

For you to be an atheist , you have to be conscious about your rejection of God(s) . You have to accept that there is(are) no God(s) to be an atheist .

Babies/people who have no knowledge of God are not atheists because they do not consciously reject God or consciously avow that there is no God .

How any of you cannot understand this is beyond me . I think dalaman you understand but you are being disingenuous as usual .

That also remains your opinion.
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:56pm On Dec 22, 2016
^^^ You Nairaland atheists know about God(s) but does it mean you are theists

Then how does someone who has no knowledge of God(s) is now being seen as an atheist

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:57pm On Dec 22, 2016
dalaman:

And that remains their opinion.

That also remains your opinion.

How is it my opinion ? With your logic because I know of the Greek gods , then I'm a Hellenic polytheist
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by MrMontella(m): 7:58pm On Dec 22, 2016
EyeHateGod:

No what you are doing here is displaying your foolishness and and dishonesty and of course your ignorance....

Atheism doesn't mean there is no God like I said b4 you have no right to define what Atheism is I have provided you with videos, links and screenshots to what Atheism is its either you accept it or not ur refusal to accept it doesn't change its meaning..

Diogoras was the first Atheist To have written something to indicate that he was an Atheist....this doesn't make him the first Atheist also as we wouldn't know who the first feminist was....Stop Being Ignorant...
guy...abeg stop!

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by dalaman: 7:59pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

How is it my opinion ? With your logic because I know of the Greek gods , then I'm a Hellenic polytheist

Implicit and explicit atheism are all atheism.

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by ScepticalPyrrho: 7:59pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
^^^ You Nairaland atheists know about God(s) but does it mean you are theists

Then how does someone who has no knowledge of God(s) is now being seen as an atheist
Lol @ bolded.

But here we are...

The meaning of simple words seem to evade you.

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:59pm On Dec 22, 2016
ScepticalPyrrho:
Lmao.

The guy is just being ridiculous.

He has only succeeded in making theistical arguments more irrational.

He should just quit his mischief.

You have not proven me wrong , you are only launching personal attacks .

Skepticism and critical thinking is about questioning generally accepted beliefs . You guys are no critical thinkers at all . undecided
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:00pm On Dec 22, 2016
dalaman:

Implicit and explicit atheism are all atheism.

Implicit atheism is false and that has been the argument . PROVE ME WRONG !
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by hopefulLandlord: 8:08pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

nah!

no one is interested in proving you wrong

you're free to prove google and dictionary wrong though, we might be interested when you're through with that and they've accepted your own definitions cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:16pm On Dec 22, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

nah!

no one is interested in proving you wrong

you're free to prove google and dictionary wrong though, we might be interested when you're through with that

I stated right there who first suggested Implicit atheism - Baron D'Holbach in the 18th century and George Smith embellished it in the 1970s . Atheism originally was defined as the belief there is no God .

All these lack of belief/absence of belief are just definitions modern atheism gave to it . And which I as well as other critical thinkers don't assent to .

Because you have knowledge of God(s) does not make you a theist but if you have no knowledge of God just like babies , then it makes you an atheist

How can this be reasonable to any intelligent mind ? How ?

Skepticism and critical thinking disappear when atheism is being questioned ba ?

Let me see any of you parading yourselves as rational again grin cheesy
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by MrMontella(m): 8:20pm On Dec 22, 2016
I see no reason why anyone should waste time and energy on this thread
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:23pm On Dec 22, 2016
MrMontella:

I see no reason why anyone should waste time and energy on this thread

Of course , to anyone who doesn't have the intellect to challenge the arguments against atheism being presented here .

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by dalaman: 8:24pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

If I lack belief in Gods am an athiests. Many people have given you the definition of atheism from diffrent sources but you refuse to accept it.

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by hopefulLandlord: 8:26pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I stated right there who first suggested Implicit atheism - Baron D'Holbach in the 18th century and George Smith embellished it in the 1970s . Atheism originally was defined as the belief there is no God .

All these lack of belief/absence of belief are just definitions modern atheism gave to it . And which I as well as other critical thinkers don't assent to .

Because you have knowledge of God(s) does not make you a theist but if you have no knowledge of God just like babies , then it makes you an atheist

How can this be reasonable to any intelligent mind ? How ?

Skepticism and critical thinking disappear when atheism is being questioned ba ?

Let me see any of you parading yourselves as rational again grin cheesy

okay bro

we hear you

I'm just waiting for when you'll say Ikeja, Lagos State is situated in Canada and start telling people to prove you wrong

grin
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by jonbellion(m): 8:27pm On Dec 22, 2016
dalaman:

If I lack belief in Gods am an athiests. Many people have given you the definition of atheism from diffrent sources but you refuse to accept it.
so you believe the universe formed itself
That's kind of a bit odd

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN THAT '' THANKING GOD HEALS '' / Dead For 23hours, Taken To Heaven & Hell, Sent Back With A Message / A Fool Sayeth In His Heart "There Is No Santa Clause"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.