Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,758 members, 7,851,593 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:55 PM

Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat (1283 Views)

Northern Governors Arrive Abia State After IPOB Clash With Military. Photos / Nnamdi Kanu's Lawyer Weeps In Court After IPOB Leader Was Granted Bail. Photos / Buhari And Ministers Shun South-East Summit After IPOB Threat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by Stingman: 5:04pm On Dec 22, 2016
President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday stayed away from the maiden South-East Economic and Security Summit in Enugu, which started about 48 hours after some pro-Biafra agitators warned him not to set foot in Igboland.

Buhari was meant to be the Chief Guest of Honour at the summit, which held in the Enugu State Government House, according to the programme of the event.

Although the President was expected at the event, as noted by several speakers who spoke during the event, he did not show up, neither was he represented.

Also, ministers from the South-East, who were slated to make presentations at the event, all stayed away.

A pro-Biafra group, the Indigenous People of Biafra, had in the build up to the summit, issued a statement, warning Buhari to stay away from the South-East, in his own interest.

IPOB, whose leader, and director of pirate radio channel, Nnamdi Kanu, is being held by the Federal Government, accused Buhari of ‘persecution’, and threatened ‘a breakdown of law and order’ should the President attend the summit.

While no mention of the IPOB warning was made throughout the opening session of the summit, Buhari’s absence was a major talking point as several speakers expressed surprise, and confusion, at the development.

The Chairman of the South-East Security and Economic Summit, former power minister, Prof. Barth Nnaji, in his opening remarks, observed, “We have not seen the President.”

Later on, in a presentation by the summit committee, Nnaji had to substitute Buhari’s name with that of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, who attended the event as the ‘Distinguished Guest of Honour’, in the introductory part of a prepared address where he was to thank Buhari for attending the occasion as the Chief Guest of Honour.

Instead of thanking Buhari for gracing the occasion as the chief guest of honour, as stated in the prepared address, Nnaji thanked Obasanjo for attending the event as the distinguished guest of honour.

Nnaji also thanked the Enugu State government for undertaking to sponsor some aspects of the President’s visit.

The chairman of the event, former Commonwealth Secretary General, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, drew attention to Buhari’s absence.

“I was going to start by saluting the representative of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria but I have not been told of such a person,” the retired diplomat said.

Anyaoku went further to express regrets that Buhari was not present at the event.

Rounding up his address with a call for the restructuring of the country, he said, “I had hoped that Mr. President would be here to hear me.

“Like Cato, the Roman senator who always ended his speeches by calling for the destruction of Carthage until his call was heeded, I will restate my assertion that if the Nigerian federation is restructured to have less federating units, this country will achieve greater stability and faster pace of development, and there will no longer be a need for the Federal Government to bailout many of the non-viable 36 states.”

http://punchng.com/buhari-ministers-shun-south-east-summit-ipob-threat/

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by eezeribe(m): 5:11pm On Dec 22, 2016
Buhari only goes to the South East During campaigns,Expect him live when the elections are near.MR.PRESIDENT should learn from the SULTAN OF SOKOTO,who was warmly received in ENUGU.in this life, no one knows tomorrow... IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BUILD BRIDGES THAN TO BURN THEM

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by eyeview: 5:16pm On Dec 22, 2016
...and this is the same man apc promised if voted will personally lead the fight against bokoharam from the front?
Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by limeta(f): 5:17pm On Dec 22, 2016
Chicken Buhari is not my president.
Buhari for show make IPOB wack am.
New sheriff in town hahhahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by Africonji: 5:20pm On Dec 22, 2016
Boko.hari is NOT welcome in SE/SS. The cow-herder knows that by now. cool

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by GMBuhari: 5:22pm On Dec 22, 2016
eezeribe:
Buhari only goes to the South East During campaigns,Expect him live when the elections are near.MR.PRESIDENT should learn from the SULTAN OF SOKOTO,who was warmly received in ENUGU.in this life, no one knows tomorrow... IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BUILD BRIDGES THAN TO BURN THEM

Have you no shame? Didn't your people protest and threatened to kill him if he comes? On another thread they've been calling him coward but you are saying if it's not campaign Buhari isn't coming

How many states has Buhari visited for campaign?

He canceled his trip to Lagos and heaven did not fall
Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by Stingman: 5:26pm On Dec 22, 2016
GMBuhari:

Have you no shame? Didn't your people protest and threatened to kill him if he comes? On another thread they've been calling him coward but you are saying if it's not campaign Buhari isn't coming

Liar...You were boasting days ago that he will visit the SE and nothing will happen...One of you even boasted that his helicopter will land in the venue, while the protesters block the roads...Have you seen yourself....

What would it cost the president to invite the representatives of the group to understand how to resolve the issues...That's how good and decent leaders do...not by being belligerent....

3 Likes

Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by Yorubaangel(m): 5:37pm On Dec 22, 2016
Shame on Buhari... A President without ball... Buhari is a coward
Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by ourema(f): 5:38pm On Dec 22, 2016
This government is making Nnamdi Kanu an icon overnight
Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by Ikem11(m): 5:47pm On Dec 22, 2016
lol
Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by malton: 5:53pm On Dec 22, 2016
Yorubaangel:
Shame on Buhari... A President without ball... Buhari is a coward

The way some of you reason is beyond me.

The man just averted a bloodshed. He didn't do it for himself.

Lots of people would have died today had he not canceled.

Enugu is too fine to be razed to the ground because of some miscreants.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by theostarboy(m): 5:57pm On Dec 22, 2016
i thought he is a tiger, let him go with his identity OKECHUKWU BUHARI, i wont say make thunder fire you because if it does,,,,, your people will use our 2017 money for budget for your funeral
Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by Yorubaangel(m): 6:15pm On Dec 22, 2016
malton:

The way some of you reason is beyond me.

The man just averted a bloodshed. He didn't do it for himself.

Lots of people would have died today had he not canceled.

Enugu is too fine to be razed to the ground because of some miscreants.
Lol... your manner of reasoning is really fantastic...
so you believe there'll be bloodshed if Buhari attended the summit
So, Buhari, a Commander in Chief of federal Republic of Nigeria can be declared a personal non grata by few miscreants in his own country and he'll just chickened out like that?
uhnnn.... keep defending mediocrity...

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by malton: 6:19pm On Dec 22, 2016
Yorubaangel:

Lol... your manner of reasoning is really fantastic...
so you believe there'll be bloodshed if Buhari attended the summit
So, Buhari, a Commander in Chief of federal Republic of Nigeria can be declared a personal non grata by few miscreants in his own country and he'll just chickened out like that?
uhnnn.... keep defending mediocrity...

The issue is, any attempt made on his life will have dire consequences for the people of Enugu and the land as well.

The action was in the interest of the state. I knew this would happen right from the get-go.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by Stalwert: 6:21pm On Dec 22, 2016
GMBuhari:

Why are you answering these fools? They are only reducing themselves to useless nonentities. They only know the language of violence to convey their their unstable mindset. Now they have been rightly ignored and have started wailing like wretched fools they are. They shall remain ignored. . my only prayers is for nairalanders to ignore them like PMB did and watch them cry like malformed bush babies
Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by GMBuhari: 9:21pm On Dec 22, 2016
Stingman:

Liar...You were boasting days ago that he will visit the SE and nothing will happen...One of you even boasted that his helicopter will land in the venue, while the protesters block the roads...Have you seen yourself....

What would it cost the president to invite the representatives of the group to understand how to resolve the issues...That's how good and decent leaders do...not by being belligerent....

I think Anambra weed has entered your head, show me the post where I allegedly said he will land at the venue

If I said he will arrive and nothing will happen it's because it's true

But Buhari chose to avoid bloodshed , a few soldiers and SARS /DSS would disperse that crowd, if COAS can do it in Zaria then fuckkkkk yeah the president can do it, however you will still scream macassre and tribalism to amnesty international and ICC

I believe Buhari understands and he chose to ignore a bunch of angry fools
Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by hammerT: 9:23pm On Dec 22, 2016
GMBuhari:

Buhari is the c in c, their should be no state that he cannot visit.

Buhari needs to emulate the Sultan of Sokoto and build bridges.

Disappointed to say the least. embarassed
Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by GMBuhari: 9:25pm On Dec 22, 2016
Stalwert:

Why are you answering these fools? They are only reducing themselves to useless nonentities. They only know the language of violence to convey their their unstable mindset. Now they have been rightly ignored and have started wailing like wretched fools they are. They shall remain ignored. . my only prayers is for nairalanders to ignore them like PMB did and watch them cry like malformed bush babies

If we don't tell them, who will? grin

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by hammerT: 9:28pm On Dec 22, 2016
Stalwert:

u threaten violence after occupying government?

u threaten violence after we invested in the security of this country with our oil wealth in SS/SE?

u are a coward. aint nobody scared of violence, Nigeria is not violent enough, let us escalate it. idiot!

a military that murders its own unarmed citizens but flees from armed conflict with terrorist.

This is exactly IPOB point, that Nigeria is not a country.
Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by GMBuhari: 9:45pm On Dec 22, 2016
hammerT:

Buhari is the c in c, their should be no state that he cannot visit.

Buhari needs to emulate the Sultan of Sokoto and build bridges.

Disappointed to say the least. embarassed

Lol
Re: Buhari, Ministers Shun South-east Summit After IPOB Threat by oyatz(m): 1:37pm On Dec 23, 2016
The President did the right thing in order not to give mischievous people the chance to disturb the peace of this Country.
Had PMB visited and some people attempt to prevent him from freely moving about and the security forces deal with them the same way Burutai dealt with the Shias, by now you will be screaming genocide up and down

(1) (Reply)

Rivers: Sacked Policemen Are Heroes Of Democracy - Fayose / Hilarious Tweet Dissing Arsenal FC And PMB / Aba The City After Everybody's Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.