Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:15 PM

Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted (81396 Views)

How New Provost Of The College Of Education, Ikere Was Appointed / Open Confession By The Provost Of A.I.F.C.E. Dr Mrs Blessing Ijioma's (PA) And I / The Provost Of MOCPED : Professor Akeusola Is Dead! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Kendzyma(m): 5:21pm On Dec 22, 2016
This is coming from a nairalander with d Monika Adesegunfat

My name is Adesegun Fatusi, and I am the Provost of the College of Health Sciences, OAU, Ile-Ife. The case of the Aror Oghenerukewve has just been brought to my notice. To throw more light on her case, I will present the detaild fact here.

With a score of 320, her mark from UTME amounts to 80% (i.e. 320/400 x 100)
Her school cert results are: English A1 (=8 marks); Biology C4 (=5 marks); Chemistry B3 (=6 marks); Maths B3 (=6 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Further Maths B2 (=7marks), and Civic Educ A1 (=8 marks). That gives her 45 points, or 70.3% (i.e. 44/64x100)

So her overall average - as OAU did a combination of 50% mark from JAMB and 50% mark from School Cert - is: (80+70.3)=75.15% (which we rounded up to 75.2%).

With that mark, she ranks number 103 on the list of the students who took Medicine as first Choice.

The total admission quota for Medicine in OAU is 100, and that includes UTME and Direct Entry).

Clearly although Aror did well, her mark was NOT good enough to earn her admission on merit to read Medicine in Ife. Her mark of 75.2% is clearly below our cut-off mark (which was initially 78%, but we later reduced to 77.7%). Between her mark of 75.2% and 77.7%, by the way, there were 56 other candidates who scored higher than her but did not make the cut-off. For example, two people had 77.6%, two other people had 77.5%, four people had 77.4% etc.
Having presented the detailed facts about Aror's case, let me also help the many young Nigerians who may be accessing this site with more information on admission as I see a lot of misrepresentation, falsehood, and misunderstanding from the comments that various people had made on this case.

1. Admission into Nigerian Universities are considered on three grounds based on the nationally specified criteria (which I think ought to be reviewed now, by the way):
A. Merit =45% (This covers all candidates from the country - and it is automatic admission once you meet the cut-off mark)
B. Catchment = 35% (this refers to those in the states specified as catchment area for each University: For OAU, that is Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Osun and Ekiti)
C. Educationally disadvantaged states (ELDS)=20% = This refers to all the 19 Northern States, and Ebonyi, Rivers and Bayelsa.

So, someone from Delta such as Aror with 75.2% will not get admission into Medicine in OAU automatically as she is only considered on merit criterion and she does NOT meet the specified cut-off, but someone with the same mark from Kwara (which is in the North Central zone) may get automatic admission with the same mark based on the consideration of ELDS if 75.2% is the specified cut-off for ELDS for Medicine.

2. When a candidate chooses a highly competitive course like Medicine in a top-rated University like OAU, the competition is very intense. Believe it or not, many of the candidates that made our merit mark had an average of six A1s in school cert coupled with very high UTME mark (above 300). So, a candidate must carefully think over his choice of course and university. For example, if Aror had chosen ANY other course as her first choice for OAU, whe would have made the merit mark and gotten automatic admission, and she would have made the merit mark for Medicine on merit for most Nigerian universities too (but NOT OAU unfortunately).

3. Because of the high demand and competition for very limited spaces, the College of Health Sciences does not consider second choices as a general rule. OAU, for example, was only able to offer admission on UTME platform (Merit + Catchment + ELDS) to less than 3% of her applicants for Medicine, and less than 2% of her applicants for Nursing Science this year.

4. For cases like Aror where the candidadte has made a high mark but does not make the cut-off, what the candidate can sometimes do is to come to the University and try and see if he or she can be considered for other courses. A candidadte DOES NOT get considered automatically for a course she has not applied to in JAMB. A candidadte is ONLY automatically considered for the course he or she has applied for with respect to a particular university.

Unfortunately, Aror has left her case too late as all admission lists have been submitted for this year.
Source:https://www.nairaland.com/3532584/girl-laments-over-inability-secure/4

90 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by maestromedal(m): 6:00pm On Dec 22, 2016
Aror abi ki loruko eee...Try again later

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by jeff1607(m): 6:36pm On Dec 22, 2016
HMMMMMMM

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Dreyl(m): 6:36pm On Dec 22, 2016
Nonsense!

168 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Josephnice: 6:53pm On Dec 22, 2016
I don't just buy into this vague calculus theorem of the so called provost to denying this girl her admission. Lecturers are so smart in formulating excuses in cover up of their partiality. Whichever way u solve the equation, this girl deserve a place in the merit list or if it result to worse, she should have been given a relative courses that are not so competitive to choose from. How can someone who scored 320 in jamb walk home empty handed and not even with her second chosen course(dentistry)

261 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Josephnice: 6:54pm On Dec 22, 2016
I don't just buy into this vague calculus theorem of the so called provost to denying this girl her admission. Lecturers are so smart in formulating excuses in cover up of their partiality. Whichever way u solved the equation, this girl deserves a place in the merit list

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by ourema(f): 7:18pm On Dec 22, 2016
Very insightful explanation. My advice is for her to go write jamb again if she insist on reading medicine. But next time her second choice should also be explored. Sometimes your destiny may not medicine

116 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by DonLo: 7:54pm On Dec 22, 2016
Some Nigerians like talking with sentiments.. You think Medicine in a top rated school like OAU comes easily as you think. She scored high but there must have been some other person with higher scores more deserving of the admission. Instead of attacking the provost who took his time to explain please advocate for the return of post utme and the stop of all this catchment areas come educational disadvantaged areas. If there had been post UTME others that deserves it less would have been sieved out.

God bless the Provost. He was really willing to help when I called is attention to it yesterday. But it was just too late.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Kendzyma(m): 8:25pm On Dec 22, 2016
Cc..Lalasticlala,mynd44...let her see this

1 Like

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by TomjoTM(m): 8:38pm On Dec 22, 2016
When you have a score like that in UTME, and OAU as first choice, and you didn't meet the merit, you don't bloody relax, you bug the hell out of anybody and everybody who can help, unfortunately it's late now.

36 Likes

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Eleniyan15: 8:41pm On Dec 22, 2016
no comment

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by habtund(f): 8:43pm On Dec 22, 2016
Rubbish..... I was also denied admission last year despite having 62% in d post DE exam, distinction n 6 bs n 3 C's in my o level
but a frnd of mine wit upper credit, c parallel in her o level n 55% was admitted ....same course
Alhamdulillah I av bn offered admission in funaab to study statistics

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by blessedvisky(m): 9:16pm On Dec 22, 2016
jeff1607:
HMMMMMMM
MMM major!! Your own na 7 M's. Twale baba

281 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by idu1(m): 9:18pm On Dec 22, 2016
Kendzyma:

My name is Adesegun Fatusi, and I am the Provost of the College of Health Sciences, OAU, Ile-Ife. The case of the Aror Oghenerukewve has just been brought to my notice. To throw more light on her case, I will present the detaild fact here.

Her school cert results are: English A1 (=8 marks); Biology C4 (=5 marks); Chemistry B3 (=6 marks); Maths B3 (=6 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Further Maths B2 (=7marks), and Civic Educ A1 (=8 marks). That gives her 45 points, or 70.3% (i.e. 44/64x100)

So her overall average - as OAU did a combination of 50% mark from JAMB and 50% mark from School Cert - is: (80+70.3)=75.15% (which we rounded up to 75.2%).

With that mark, she ranks number 103 on the list of the students who took Medicine as first Choice.

The total admission quota for Medicine in OAU is 100, and that includes UTME and Direct Entry).

Clearly although Aror did well, her mark was NOT good enough to earn her admission on merit to read Medicine in Ife. Her mark of 75.2% is clearly below our cut-off mark (which was initially 78%, but we later reduced to 77.7%). Between her mark of 75.2% and 77.7%, by the way, there were 56 other candidates who scored higher than her but did not make the cut-off. For example, two people had 77.6%, two other people had 77.5%, four people had 77.4% etc.
Having presented the detailed facts about Aror's case, let me also help the many young Nigerians who may be accessing this site with more information on admission as I see a lot of misrepresentation, falsehood, and misunderstanding from the comments that various people had made on this case.

1. Admission into Nigerian Universities are considered on three grounds based on the nationally specified criteria (which I think ought to be reviewed now, by the way):
A. Merit =45% (This covers all candidates from the country - and it is automatic admission once you meet the cut-off mark)
B. Catchment = 35% (this refers to those in the states specified as catchment area for each University: For OAU, that is Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Osun and Ekiti)
C. Educationally disadvantaged states (ELDS)=20% = This refers to all the 19 Northern States, and Ebonyi, Rivers and Bayelsa.

So, someone from Delta such as Aror with 75.2% will not get admission into Medicine in OAU automatically as she is only considered on merit criterion and she does NOT meet the specified cut-off, but someone with the same mark from Kwara (which is in the North Central zone) may get automatic admission with the same mark based on the consideration of ELDS if 75.2% is the specified cut-off for ELDS for Medicine.

2. When a candidate chooses a highly competitive course like Medicine in a top-rated University like OAU, the competition is very intense. Believe it or not, many of the candidates that made our merit mark had an average of six A1s in school cert coupled with very high UTME mark (above 300). So, a candidate must carefully think over his choice of course and university. For example, if Aror had chosen ANY other course as her first choice for OAU, whe would have made the merit mark and gotten automatic admission, and she would have made the merit mark for Medicine on merit for most Nigerian universities too (but NOT OAU unfortunately).

3. Because of the high demand and competition for very limited spaces, the College of Health Sciences does not consider second choices as a general rule. OAU, for example, was only able to offer admission on UTME platform (Merit + Catchment + ELDS) to less than 3% of her applicants for Medicine, and less than 2% of her applicants for Nursing Science this year.

4. For cases like Aror where the candidadte has made a high mark but does not make the cut-off, what the candidate can sometimes do is to come to the University and try and see if he or she can be considered for other courses. A candidadte DOES NOT get considered automatically for a course she has not applied to in JAMB. A candidadte is ONLY automatically considered for the course he or she has applied for with respect to a particular university.

Unfortunately, Aror has left her case too late as all admission lists have been submitted for this year.
Cc:mynd44,lalasticalala,fynestboi

Rubbish.. .

Gerarahere

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Vcojuro: 9:26pm On Dec 22, 2016
Kendzyma:

Smh there are lots of candidates that didn't meet up to the cutoff point for the department of Medicine, and yet they were admitted.
If you have any doubt go to the various department and check if the admission process is really transparent as they claim to be.
I will challenge the school management to paste the list of admitted students on daily newspapers and school websites.
That's how it's done in the University of Ibadan and this will give no room for manipulation.

106 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by sbashir10(m): 9:28pm On Dec 22, 2016
Kudos to the provost for clearing the air, some people have already taken dis too far.she should have applied UNN which is a Biafra University, sentiment apart this happens in all Nigerian universities, and the Ibos, chest beaters started it.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Drdonzeez(m): 9:40pm On Dec 22, 2016
Kendzyma:

This man doesn't know maths..Its obvious from the modality that the girl had 79% .

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Vcojuro: 9:40pm On Dec 22, 2016
sbashir10:
Kudos to the provost for clearing the air, some people have already taken dis too far.

I no longer believe in propaganda.
If you can give me a reason why a low scoring candidate, who had 223 in jamb and an aggregate of 66 was admitted to study medicine instead of that young lady, then I will believe your provost.

If you want people to start believing the provost, then the school authority should publish the names of every admitted students and their aggregate scores on the school website and daily newspapers.

It will change the mindset of those who think that the admission process in oau is flawed.

97 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Greatzeus(m): 9:45pm On Dec 22, 2016
Josephnice:
I don't just buy into this vague calculus theorem of the so called provost to deny this girl her admission. Lecturers are so smart in formulating excuses in cover up of their partiality. Whichever way u solve the equation, this girl deserve a place in the merit list
If you are intelligent enough and have an open mind,you will buy into " this vague calculus theorem".
She had the internet and used it,it worked for her because it got to those that matter, and a reasonable reply was given.
We are talking of Medicine here and OAU,hundreds or thousands must have choosing the same course,many would have the same grade as her but were also denied admission, many will have better grade than her but were also denied admission. They accepted their faith and didn't come online to gain public sympathy, she has been honored by the response of the provost.That's enough.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by MoyoGENERAL: 9:45pm On Dec 22, 2016
I'm sure that 50% of those admitted may not have an aggregate score up to that!!!!! I'm sure!

BTW......wrong computations!
She counted 7 subjects for her( repeated physics twice yet counted it once)
ONLY 7 Subject totalled 45 out of 64!!!!!
ONLY 7 Subjects!
what about the 8th subject!!!!!
which could have earned her at least a C, additional 3 points amounting to 48, making 80% far above the cutoff when aggregated!!!!!

OAU why?
why hast thy standard fallen!!!!!!
FG and senate can see the devastating effect of their insane PUTME cancellation! They've just declared freeway for Massive corruption during admissions into Universities in Nigeria!
So Pathetic...

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by otokx(m): 10:05pm On Dec 22, 2016
This case appears to have been done and dusted.
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by adonbilivit: 10:08pm On Dec 22, 2016
admit her...

2 Likes

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by korel9: 10:08pm On Dec 22, 2016
What's her name sef? sad

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by iamawara(m): 10:08pm On Dec 22, 2016
This is chemistry. Call falz x simi
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by kstix(m): 10:09pm On Dec 22, 2016
See? I was telling someone this morning that the OAU i know would give u admission if u pass the cut off mark. He was arguing with me like i don't know my school again. She chose a very competitive course where even ppl that scored more than her were not given admission.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by favourmic(m): 10:09pm On Dec 22, 2016
Click like if you think jamb is just waste of money and time.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by XXLDICK(m): 10:09pm On Dec 22, 2016
the explanation is convincing enough

Post UTME shouldn't have been scrapped. Jamb should havd been scrapped instead

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by chronique(m): 10:10pm On Dec 22, 2016
Hmmm. Reminds me of when I wanted to enter unilag at all cost. Instead of applying to other schools where I could be considered, I kept filling lag and Ife as first and second choice. None of them considered me.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by ChukaLupin(m): 10:13pm On Dec 22, 2016
angry this is nigeria. Anything can happen

2 Likes

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by LorDBolton(m): 10:13pm On Dec 22, 2016
Josephnice:
I don't just buy into this vague calculus theorem of the so called provost to deny this girl her admission. Lecturers are so smart in formulating excuses in cover up of their partiality. Whichever way u solve the equation, this girl deserve a place in the merit list

read the post again...

This time... SLOWLY

Even during pume era such cases occur, I know someone who was offered fishery instead of medicine n surgery.

Anybody who's been thru the 4 walls of any nigerian university would automatically comprehend what the provost just declared

41 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Photos Of Choice Christopher, New Delta Poly SUG President That Caused Uproar / Opinion: Courses That Are Easy To Obtain A FIRST CLASS Degree / Is This Lady One Of The Reasons Bowen Students Were Afraid Of The Drug Test?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.