Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,152 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers (3427 Views)

Death Sentence For Kidnappers In Oyo: Ajimobi Approves It / Igbos In Lagos State May Be On Settling Their Differences With The Yoruba's / Road Show: Enter Gov. Okorocha’s Imo State - May 2013. (photo News). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by AloyEmeka6: 2:38am On Nov 19, 2009
Delta may okay death penalty for kidnappers

http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=10582&z=12

INDICATIONS have emerged that Delta State Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan would soon assent to the anti-kidnapping bill passed by the state Assembly, which prescribes death penalty for persons caught in the nefarious act.

The state Deputy Governor, Prof. Amos Utuama (SAN), made the indication yesterday while receiving the Chairman of the Police Service Commission (PSC), Mr. Parry Osayande, on behalf of the governor at the Government House, Asaba.

Utuama added: "We are challenging the Police by the passage of a law to amend our Criminal Code in relation to kidnapping.

"Very soon, His Excellency, the governor, will assent to the bill and it will be a criminal offence carrying death penalty for anybody to attempt or even kidnap another. This is a very big challenge to all of those who are enforcers of law because we must stamp out kidnapping in any form, in any shape, in order to a have a very peaceful Delta State", he added.
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by AloyEmeka6: 10:23am On Nov 19, 2009
They will start killing their victims now since its now a do or die affair.
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by citizenY(m): 11:08am On Nov 19, 2009
Delta = Zamfara

Uduaghan don become sharia guvnor grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by skillworks(m): 1:16pm On Nov 19, 2009
Even though I dont support kidnappers, I think the death penalty might be a harsh decision. A Life-in-Jail sentence might send the right message to the kidnappers.

skillworks
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by blackcat1: 1:32pm On Nov 19, 2009
Death penalty?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What da french!!!! shocked
5 years in jail is more than enough! Even murderers do not get death penalties these days.
Life is sacred!
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by idiopathic: 1:36pm On Nov 19, 2009
What has Delta state done about corruption in the state? These kidnappers are product of a failed state. They need rehabilitation rather than death.
Death penalty should be reserved for the likes of Ibori who almost rendered the state bankrupt.
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by rotimy(m): 2:01pm On Nov 19, 2009
idiopathic:

What has Delta state done about corruption in the state? These kidnappers are product of a failed state. They need rehabilitation rather than death.
Death penalty should be reserved for the likes of Ibori who almost rendered the state bankrupt.
@POSTERS
I totally support death penalty for the kidnappers! Recently, a 9 months baby was kidnapped at Enugu State, he died before the family will pay the ransom! At Anambra State, A 95 YEAR OLD MAN WAS KILLED BECAUSE HE ASKED THE WEALTHY SON NOT TO PAY THE 60 MILLION NAIRA RANSOM. At Delta State, A 24 year old lady was kidnapped and raped for 2 weeks then killed after the family paid the ransom!
If the dead ones are your children, sister, or daddy and you wish the criminal just a 5 year jail term or sweet rehabilitation, I wish you good luck! Kindapping is criminality. The gangters are armed and have intention of killing their victims, so they too should be killed!
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by THEAMAKA3(f): 2:11pm On Nov 19, 2009
im hoping they have some kind of forensics that can actually PROVE that someone did it.
not just a point and call names. anyone can be accused and someone may really be innocent for all they know.
hmmmmmm. . .
but death penalty? OUCH!!
well this is a clear warning to all those kidnappers so they better stop now, unless they want to die.
i think its a pretty good idea.
but its sooo drastic!! i would say 20 years in prison?
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by ogb5(m): 2:11pm On Nov 19, 2009
The last time I checked, the penalty for armed robbery is death in most parts of Nigeria.
The death penalty has not stopped armed robbery, why do they think it will stop kidnapping.

The key is better crime prevention and good punishment for lesser crimes before the criminals graduate in bigger crimes like kidnapping.
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by palmwine(m): 2:14pm On Nov 19, 2009
You will have to catch them first!!!!

At the rate everyone is paying up and the police having no clue. The problem is not appropriate punishment, the question is how many have they arrested!
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by Escober92: 2:16pm On Nov 19, 2009
Death penalty Dats too much, maybe just to scare them away.
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by dfanthom(m): 2:27pm On Nov 19, 2009
all the tiers of govt have all the laws in the world & yet implements less than 5%.
hope they'd be able to buffer the shocks that go with such harsh laws & put in place adequate security measures.

meanwhile all the kidnap cases have never been holistically resolved & any1 convicted. i wonder how they'd go about it this time. . . .

wish the govt the best!
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by airzzee(m): 2:44pm On Nov 19, 2009
DEATH PENALTY?
DO YOU KNOW WHY STATE GOVTS AND FG ARE ALL ADVOCATING DEATH PENALTY? I HAVE SAID IT BEFORE ON NL. KIDNAPPING IS THE ONLY CRIME THAT AFFECTS THE HIGH AND MIGHTY – THEIR CHILDREN, THEIR SPOUSES, THEIR PARENTS AND RELATIVES. THAT’S WHY.

IT’S INDEED SAD. DONT EVER THINK THEY ARE DOING IT BECAUSE OF YOU & ME. THEY ARE ALL ASKING FOR DEATH PENALTY BECAUSE THEY AFFECTED. EVERYDAY IN NIGERIA, THE POOR MASSES ARE ROBBED, RAPED, USED FOR RITUALS, MURDERED IN COLD BLOOD, MALTREATED BOTH AT HOME AND ABROAD, EXECUTED IN CHINA, SINGAPORE (I STILL REMEMBER TOOCHI IWUCHUKWU, THE POOR 19-YEAR OLD, ERRONEOUSLY(??) EXECUTED IN SINGAPORE JANUARY 2007, UNDER WATCHFUL EYES OF OBJ). HAVE THESE GOVTS DONE ANYTHING IN THESE REGARDS? LAST WEEK SO, WE TALKED ABOUT NYSC (CORPS MEMBERS) THAT HAVE EITHER BEEN RAPED OR RAPED & MURDERED; UP TILL NOW NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE. DON’T EVER THINK IT IS BECAUSE OF YOU AND ME. IT IS SIMPLY BECAUSE SOLUDO’S FATHER, COMMISSIONER’S RELATIVE IN DELTA/EDO STATES, GOVERNOR’S AIDES, PRESIDENTIAL UNTOUCHABLES ARE BEING KIDNAPPED.

IT IS REALLY TEARFUL, REALLY PAINFUL, REALLY UNFORTUNATE THAT NOBODY CARES ABOUT US. OBVIOUSLY NIGERIAN DO NOT DESERVE THE BEST IN ALL RAMIFICATIONS.

DEATH SENTENCE FOR KIDNAPPERS? OUR gods (SORRY, GOVTS) HAVE FINALLLY COME TO OUR RESCUE INDEED!!!

I HURT. I BLEED. I WEEP. GOD BLESS NIGERIA, A SHAMELESS, FAILED STATE.
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by whobdis(m): 3:07pm On Nov 19, 2009
na wa, wat abouit the rulers of the state , are they not worse than KIDNAPPERS,
dont mind that GOVERNOR WIT HIS BIG HEAD, and his DEPUTY, with their short bodies, they are not thinking long , its not their fault after all trhey are short, so they think in a short way,
they want turn OUR DT TO A SHARIA STATE?, WE ARE A FREE PEOPLE,
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by whobdis(m): 3:14pm On Nov 19, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
WATIN WE NO GO SEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
want to turn delta into ZAMFARA, Y NOT KILL IBORI & HIS EXECUTIVES FIRST , AFTERALL THEY KIDNAPPED DELTA STAE'S MONEY

WELL LETS WATCH & SEEEE
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by citizenY(m): 3:15pm On Nov 19, 2009
I say Uduaghan na Sharia guvnor. Now wey dem dey carry big man and big man papa , wife and pikin

dem wan do sharia. Better enact the law for Delta joo, then our brothers across the niger go follow.

e go start from Abia. Uduaghan, who be ya grand Khadi? abi you go hold dat past?
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by snowdrops(m): 3:30pm On Nov 19, 2009
Simple death penalty is too lenient. They should be executed publicly by firing squad.
More dare devil kidnappers like the ones who kidnapped and murdered the 9 month old baby above should be made to suffocate and die in a gas chamer.
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 19, 2009
There are two kind of people here-human kidnappers and public-fund kidnappers.The law must cover the both.
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 19, 2009
So delta is still thinking about it when most state have signed kidnapping bill into law a long time ago, Delta state is a kidnappers' den & the governor has sympathy for those useless boys because they help him into power through ballot snatching & vote rigging,,so he lacks the political will to introduce such bill when delta state was stil hot
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by bawomolo(m): 4:25pm On Nov 19, 2009
that's excessive
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by AloyEmeka6: 4:37pm On Nov 19, 2009
ferdiii:

There are two kind of people here-human kidnappers and public-fund kidnappers.The law must cover the both.

Public funds don't breathe. Human kidnapping is worse than public fund kidnapping. A 2 year concurrent sentence is enough punishment for the latter. wink
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by malali: 5:50pm On Nov 19, 2009
, hmmm death penalty?
is it for those that kidnap cash
or those that kidnap human beings
we have to be very specific,
before we administer a medicine that will kill the medicine man grin grin grin grin grin

i wish Fela was alive,
some people they cash-nap, use the money born pikin
some people they kid-nap, use the pikin collect cash
the cashnappers want start to kill the kidnappers
hmmmmm,
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by oly1010(m): 6:13pm On Nov 19, 2009
Dealth penalty won't stop the crime only but will make those criminals more desperate. Lawmakers should ask themself why are they kidnapping, its b/c of the money. If there is a law that bans paying ransom or make ransom wait for long time (like 6months or more) before been paid so it will be investigated. So i think harsh punishment not limiting to dealth penalty and banning or regulate how ransom is paid will deter most kidnappings or those thinking of doing that
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by Abagworo(m): 6:20pm On Nov 19, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

another waste of legislative time that will not yield the desired result
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by mrofficial(m): 6:22pm On Nov 19, 2009
Are they joking? kill someone for kidnapping? Not that the person killed someone? Cunts! They are afraid, and fighting for themselves.

oly1010:

Death penalty won't stop the crime only but will make those criminals more desperate. Lawmakers should ask themself why are they kidnapping, its b/c of the money. If there is a law that bans paying ransom or make ransom wait for long time (like 6months or more) before been paid so it will be investigated. So i think harsh punishment not limiting to dealth penalty and banning or regulate how ransom is paid will deter most kidnappings or those thinking of doing that

And anyone that gets kidnapped may as well be killed.

They are not serious, there are massive paupers out there, they've done nothing to salvage them, now all they think is bring death penalty on kidnappers.

Putting the last things first.
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by hackney(m): 7:13pm On Nov 19, 2009
No problem in naija ever has a solution.
Where do you begin to look for kidnappers in that unmapped\uncharted space of land?
One victim around enugu side was bitten to death by a snake as he was tied up in a forest.
My only worry is that the kidnappers are not targeting only politicians.
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by location(m): 8:59pm On Nov 19, 2009
i wish them well. but i want to ask this: is it not the same politicians that kidnapped via thugs their so called opponents see the case of MR SOLUDO "THE ANIONTED CANDIDATE" as a case study. please somebody reply me grin
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by Beaf: 9:03pm On Nov 19, 2009
idiopathic:

Stick to facts na, my guy!
The gov might have said something foolish, but lets not go above board; Delta State has the highest Quality of Life Index in Nigeria. It is very far from failed or bankrupt and Uduaghan isn't doing too badly either.
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by luv2talk(m): 11:09pm On Nov 19, 2009
This is not the best decision to eradicate Kipnaping syndrome in the state,Rather,they should create more employement and get the empty-handed Youth involved with one job or the other.By doing this,the level of kidnapping to get low drastically
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by mamagee3(f): 1:28am On Nov 20, 2009
I hope they approve it quickly, so this hoodlums would be shaking hands with satan after the kidnap. angry angry angry
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by mamagee3(f): 1:30am On Nov 20, 2009
luv2talk:

This is not the best decision to eradicate Kipnaping syndrome in the state,Rather,they should create more employement and get the empty-handed Youth involved with one job or the other.By doing this,the level of kidnapping to get low drastically

It's a matter of choice, If you choose to kidnap people you should be ready to face the consequences, not everyone kidnaps people in Nigeria but the majority are suffering, so it's completely unexcusable.
Re: Delta State May Okay Death Penalty For Kidnappers by Tcrack(m): 2:57am On Nov 20, 2009
airzzee:

DEATH PENALTY?
DO YOU KNOW WHY STATE GOVTS AND FG ARE ALL ADVOCATING DEATH PENALTY? I HAVE SAID IT BEFORE ON NL. KIDNAPPING IS THE ONLY CRIME THAT AFFECTS THE HIGH AND MIGHTY – THEIR CHILDREN, THEIR SPOUSES, THEIR PARENTS AND RELATIVES. THAT’S WHY.

IT’S INDEED SAD. DONT EVER THINK THEY ARE DOING IT BECAUSE OF YOU & ME. THEY ARE ALL ASKING FOR DEATH PENALTY BECAUSE THEY AFFECTED. EVERYDAY IN NIGERIA, THE POOR MASSES ARE ROBBED, RAPED, USED FOR RITUALS, MURDERED IN COLD BLOOD, MALTREATED BOTH AT HOME AND ABROAD, EXECUTED IN CHINA, SINGAPORE (I STILL REMEMBER TOOCHI IWUCHUKWU, THE POOR 19-YEAR OLD, ERRONEOUSLY(??) EXECUTED IN SINGAPORE JANUARY 2007, UNDER WATCHFUL EYES OF OBJ). HAVE THESE GOVTS DONE ANYTHING IN THESE REGARDS? LAST WEEK SO, WE TALKED ABOUT NYSC (CORPS MEMBERS) THAT HAVE EITHER BEEN RAPED OR RAPED & MURDERED; UP TILL NOW NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE. DON’T EVER THINK IT IS BECAUSE OF YOU AND ME. IT IS SIMPLY BECAUSE SOLUDO’S FATHER, COMMISSIONER’S RELATIVE IN DELTA/EDO STATES, GOVERNOR’S AIDES, PRESIDENTIAL UNTOUCHABLES ARE BEING KIDNAPPED.

IT IS REALLY TEARFUL, REALLY PAINFUL, REALLY UNFORTUNATE THAT NOBODY CARES ABOUT US. OBVIOUSLY NIGERIAN DO NOT DESERVE THE BEST IN ALL RAMIFICATIONS.

DEATH SENTENCE FOR KIDNAPPERS? OUR gods (SORRY, GOVTS) HAVE FINALLLY COME TO OUR RESCUE INDEED!!!

I HURT. I BLEED. I WEEP. GOD BLESS NIGERIA, A SHAMELESS, FAILED STATE.

GBAM

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Invent Indigenous Remote-controlled Target Machine / IBB considered poisoning Pres. OBJ the same way Abacha was killed - WikiLeaks / Jonathan's Government Wants To Destabilize Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.